AIFS Study Abroad in Prague: Semester or Academic Year

AIFS Study Abroad in Prague: Semester or Academic Year

Spend a semester or year in the picturesque city of Prague. Earn up to 18 credits through a variety of courses studying at Charles University.

Students take courses in business and economics, art history, political science, history, literature, film, sociology, psychology, Czech language and more. Courses are taught in English and no previous Czech language study is required.

Live in a student residence hall well connected to the rest of the city. Enjoy cultural and social activities such as visits to museums and cultural sites, opera, theater and ballet performances, sporting events, a trip to Moravia and more. Optional trips include Krakow and Auschwitz, Southern Bohemia and Salzburg, and Vienna or Budapest and more.

AIFS offers non-credit internship opportunities for students interested in enhancing their résumé while abroad. A 2-week intensive Czech language and culture course is also included at the start of the program to help students acclimate to life in Prague.

• 2-day excursion to Moravia
Meals
SIM cards
Travel Insurance
$$0.00/wk
AIFS is a premier provider of study abroad programs. Comprehensive fees cover tuition and housing with $800,000 in scholarship and grant funding available each year. A meal plan, tours and excursions, insurance and 24-hour emergency service are also included. Coordinated AIFS Flight Packages are available.
Prague

3.0 or 2.7 on a case by case basis!

Show 1 - 15 of 26
Nadia

Life Changing Experience in Prague

Before going abroad, I was not only hesitant, but also nervous-excited. I was excited to experience something totally new, but worried at the same time. My experience was so incredibly unique because my program with AIFS and studying at VŠE was only 9 people. For some, this many seem like too intimate of a group, but for the 9 of us; we become life long friends. Because the Charles University group was over 50 people, we were able to constantly go out to dinners, explore Prague, and get to know each other very well. Also, the on-site staff was nothing short of amazing. Renata, Maike, Zdenek, Jenny and Karin, were some of the kindest and most caring people I've been fortunate enough to meet in my lifetime.
One aspect of AIFS that I would like future participants to know is to not be scared of going. It may be an intimidating factor, and worry your parents like crazy, but just to sign up, and go abroad. It became something more than just "going abroad" but rather, learning more about myself and gaining skills I would've never acquired had I not gone abroad. For instance, today I am a significantly more confident person and no longer find it strange to speak to strangers, I love getting lost and find unique nooks and crannies, and meeting new people and learning their stories has become a hobby.
My favorite memory in Prague would just be to walk around the city and take in its beauty. As cliché as it may sound, there is something magical about Prague that is indescribable until you visit it for yourself. It truly does look like a city outside a fairytale storybook!
A few tips I'd love to share is to not overpack! It may be tempting to bring all of your favorite clothes but you really won't wear them and will want to fit in as much as possible which means purchasing clothes once you get to Europe. Also, travel with a hiking backpack! It was so easy to throw everything into my huge backpack and travel to multiple cities all over Europe. Use it as a carry-on when leaving the states and then continue using it for weekend trips. You'll be walking around for hours and hours waiting for your AirBnB or hostel to open up your room so you'll need something easy to carry around while seeing the city and waiting.

Possibly just the FX cards. Specifically, I didn't understand why the AIFS London office was in charge of the FX cards when were were using them in Czech Republic. Also, the cards were converted from pounds to euros but again, being in Czech Republic, we had crowns. This was the only frustration we had throughout the semester and while It wasn't the Prague AIFS office fault, the London-based office should've had better communication with the students in Prague.

Katey

Prague is my True Love

My study abroad experience with AIFS Prague has truly been one of the highlights of my college career! Between the beautiful culture of the Czech Republic and the wondrous AIFS Staff, my studies have been perfect. Renata and Jenny are the most caring and helpful people I have ever met and Z is definitely the most knowledgable! AIFS Prague not only focused on making my studies effective, but they also made sure my cultural immersion experience one I will never forget. The weekend trip to Poland was one of my personal favorite out-of-Prague expeditions and I highly recommend it to all students coming into the Prague program! I thank them all for their hard work and dedication to me as a student and I hope I will get to study with AIFS again soon! Prague has become my true love and will always be held close to my heart!

meghan

Best Study Abroad EVER!

Having never been in Europe before, I was really nervous about studying in Prague, where the language isn't English. However, as soon as I arrived, the AIFS program staff was absolutely incredible and helped us with anything and everything we needed. Between figuring out how to send postcards, finding the best places to eat, going to the doctors, and riding the metro, the staff helped us with everything. I had an incredible semester and AIFS provided us with so much-including weekends trips, opera and ballet performances, cooking classes, and weekly walks around Prague. I couldn't have asked for better program directors. All my worries were put to ease the second I arrived in Prague.

I wish we had more full group activities, such as dinners. After the first few days, I didn't see half the students in my program because everyone is on different schedules. It would be nice if AIFS scheduled a big dinner every 2 weeks or so, so that everyone in the program could get together. (Even if the dinners were in the dorm restaurant). I also wish the London trip that came with the flight package was more organized. There was little structure and at that point, we had little experience navigating big European cities. I didn't like how we were basically dropped off in london with no guidance until the 2nd day.

Karyn

Beyond Expectations

AIFS was an amazing experience from the beginning. After leading us on an organized stop in London, we were welcomed at the airport by amazing staff and transportation making travel easier than ever. One of my few disappointments was the dorms we were living in. They were small and not very welcoming, but we came to find that it was more of a reflection of the culture itself rather than poor accommodation of the program. Throughout the entire semester the faculty was beyond accommodating and extremely supportive. AIFS not only provided staff to help us acclimate to a new culture, but they offer many opportunities to emerge deep into your host country's culture (and often for free) such as a night out at the ballet, an afternoon in the cafe, or a day out touring different parts of the city. Affordable excursions to other countries through AIFS were also well organized and extremely entertaining. One of my most memorable experiences was the trip to Moravia with the staff. We traveled through the Czech countryside seeing towns, churches, wine cellars, and even going touring a cave. Another great aspect AIFS offers is volunteering in schools, or at an animal shelter. Spending one day a week teaching elementary level students english was extremely rewarding, and made my bond with Prague even deeper. Prague is an amazing city, but AIFS made my experience beyond anything I ever expected.

Kendall

Best experience ever!

Prague is one of the safest cities in Europe. It has so many things to do from museums, cafes on every corner, underground bars, good eats, and lots of places to visit (within the city). The public transportation is amazing and super easy. AIFS does an amazing job of helping you adjust to your new surroundings, getting you out and exploring, and being there for you any time you need them. The Staff are some of the nicest, fun, caring, and supportive people I have ever met. You will not be disappointed in AIFS and Prague!

Nothing it was unreal!

Anna

Traveling

When you come abroad, especially to Prague, it's so easy to travel all over the country! Traveling was something really important to me; I knew that I wanted to see as much of Europe as possible. I was able to visit 12 different countries and it was all because I was located so centrally in Europe in Prague that it was an easier time for me to get around. Traveling to new countries was exciting and a learning experience each weekend. You see a new place with new people and a whole different culture! You learn how to adapt to situations and become independent. The memories made in each new country are special for the big experience and every little detail that goes along with it. Don't be afraid to step out of your comfort zone and go on a new adventure!

I truthfully can not think of any way to improve the program because it was spectacular; it exceeded my expectations.

Mackenzie

Magical city and wonderful program!

Going into my semester in Prague, I wasn't sure what to expect from a city and a country I was unfamiliar with, but in the end, I couldn't be happier to have had this experience. The city looks like it was taken out of a fairy tale and there's so much to see and explore. The school I studied at, Charles University, is one of the oldest in Europe and has a great program and so much history. It's also located in the center of Prague, so you can spend time in a historical cafe or the castle gardens before or after class. The program with AIFS only helps to make your experience better. They do a wonderful job of introducing the city and the culture to students and offer so many great activities ranging from a walk in a historical district or trip to the ballet to weekend excursions in other cities and countries. With a great program and a lovely and unique city like Prague, what's not to love?

Megan

Spring 2016 Prague

I wanted to study abroad in a country that not many people have heard of, and not many are familiar with the Czech Republic. I love learning about architecture and Prague is the perfect place to study it, and I always had something new to look at. I have spent 4 months here and still run into new neighborhoods with very unique architecture every weekend. This city has been an amazing temporary home for me, and I got to explore smaller cities in the Czech Republic and outside the country as well. The excursions were incredible, and I am so glad I went through AIFS. I went on a few trips with friends, and had a great time getting to know different cultures. Overall it's been such a wonderful semester, and it will be difficult returning home!

Zack

Spring Semester 2016

Prague is an incredible city that is centrally located in Europe. The staff and excursions were all excellent and willing to help out in any situation. The professors were all extremely accommodating to travel plans. The AIFS cultural activites each week were helpful in getting to learn more about the city. Volunteering at a local high school was also a great experience to lean more about Czech culture. It was a great semester, with even better people! jkhdjkfhj

Suzanne

My study abroad experience through AIFS

I previously traveled to Prague before I decided this was the location I wanted to study abroad; after my first visit I thought "Whoa, this place is beautiful. I need to live here". Living in the Czech Republic was vastly different than briefly visiting for a couple of days. Those in charge of the program usually warn students of culture shock; I strongly believed that I would never be affected by this and was confident that I could transition into a new environment easily. Honestly, it was hard. The Czech people are very, very different than Americans. Small luxuries that I was very used to from living in the US were not available, which was apparent in our housing (although we were in the nicest student dorms available). Throughout this process, the members of the AIFS staff were unbelievable. They served as a resource to help us transition into this new environment, we could talk to them about any and all problems, ask them for good restaurants and local hangouts, get book suggestions, among many others things. I believe that my study abroad experience could not have been better through any other program, AIFS made me feel comfortable, organized the best housing and amenities available, and were generally a positive and cheerful group to be around. I would not have chosen to do study abroad any other way!

I wish we had more opportunities to meet the locals and foreign students

Alisha

Best Experience

The AIFS Program in Prague is absolutely wonderful. The staff is always available for concerns and questions, and makes the students feel like family. AIFS also offers lots of cultural events and excursions, as well as several fantastic weekend trips. I have nothing to complain about. The program completely blew away my expectations! I would 100% recommend it to anyone looking to study abroad.

There is very little I would change... Perhaps the only thing would be an easier way to receive mall.

Elissa

Amazing Program

Prague is the most incredible city. I loved that it was culturally different from home, but AIFS staff helped make me feel more comfortable. It is an all inclusive program, which means that you don't have to worry about housing, meals, transportation, and more. While there are some additional fees for optional trips, it's great that they offer those in addition to other cultural activities, like cooking classes and hiking trips. I would 1000% go back to Prague and I would most definitely use AIFS again.

The only improvement for this program would be to have the dorms closer to the city center. Of course, it's just a 10-15 minute metro ride in, but it would be great to be in the midst of everything.

Taylor

Time of my life

I had the time of my life! AIFS Programs are all inclusive which make taking international trips so easy! The program includes a number of international excursions that you take with the students and staff in your program. They also offer a flight package which makes it so easy door to door. Their on site staff is amazing and provide support whenever necessary. I didn't feel like they were babysitting me, but they were a quick metro ride away for questions. Aside from the international trips, they took us on plenty of outings and tours, too!
I went to classes in the heart of Prague. I saw the Prague castle every day, and walked through the historic Old Time Square more times than I can count. I lived in the fairytale city of Europe and I miss it every day now that I am back. I would highly recommend this program to anyone.

The housing situation left something to be desired, only because the dorm was outside of the city, but a quick metro ride to the heart of it.

Megan

Time of my life in Praha

My experience studying abroad in Prague far surpassed all of my expectations and I can easily say that those have been the best four months of my life. Prague is truly a magical city that looks like it is straight out of a fairytale. I could not have been happier with my decision to study in Prague through AIFS. The opportunities that AIFS provides you with allow you to fully immerse yourself into the rich culture and history of Prague.

I can’t say enough about how amazing this program is. AIFS offers so much for you to take advantage of during your time abroad. It was the perfect balance of freedom and structure. You could choose what you wanted to participate in, but the program directors were always available for any advice or help when needed. They planned cultural events to ballets and the sympathy, outings to historical cafes, tickets to sporting events, and weekly walks through different neighborhoods in Prague lead by Zdenek – or Z – who knows everything you could ever want to know about every European city. All of these activities were included in the program fee and you could go to as many or as little you want. These options enriched my experience by allowing me to fully appreciate the rich culture in Prague.

AIFS also offers a lot of weekend trips and excursions. There is an option to have AIFS organize your flights to and from Europe, with a stopover in London and Munich before arriving in Prague. This prevented much of the pre-departure stress and was a great way to get to know the people on my program. We also traveled all around the Czech Republic, went to Krakow in Poland, Vienna and Salzburg in Austria, and Berlin in Germany. The program directors came on the weekend trips and organized tours and activities for us. Go on as many of these trips as you can! They are so educational and fun and you’ll get to know the people on your program much faster on these trips.

Thanks to AIFS and the people I met I had the time of my life in Prague. I left a piece of my heart in Prague and I would give anything to go back and relive my experiences there. At the end of the semester I had 30 new best friends and we still keep in touch and have already made trips across the US to visit each other. If you’re at all considering studying abroad, just GO. Studying abroad with AIFS was the best decision I’ve ever made and the experiences I had have shaped me into the person I am today.

AJ

I had a great time studying abroad in Prague

One of the best months of my life. Met some great new people who I still stay in contact with today. I wish I could do it all over again.

I did the summer program. I feel one more week would have been perfect.

AIFS is a leading provider of study abroad programs. Since 1964, more than 1.5 million students have traveled abroad with AIFS. Comprehensive program fees make it convenient for students to study abroad and experience all that the world has to offer....