Study Abroad in Prague, Czech Republic: Semester or Academic Year

I took this picture in front of the John Lennon Wall during my first week in Prague.
On top of Prague Castle
Museums
Beautiful Prague!
AIFS group trip to Poland
Me on the Charles Bridge

Spend a semester or academic year in the city of Prague, Czech Republic with AIFS! You’ll earn up to 18 credits per semester through a variety of courses studying at Charles University. Courses are taught in English.

Students can partake in the International Internship Program. Internships are arranged based on your skills and interests. Students can also study with the East and Central European Studies Program. This program includes a 2-week orientation program in Czech language and culture.

Enjoy cultural and social activities such as:
• A boat cruise on the Vltava River
• Visits to museums and cultural sites
• A 2-day trip to Moravia, the eastern region of the Czech Republic.

Optional excursions include a:
• 3-day trip to Budapest, Hungary
• 2-day trip to a Czech spa town
• 3-day trip to Kraków, Poland
• 3-day trip to Vienna, Austria (fall only) or 3-day trip to Southern Bohemia and Salzburg, Austria (spring only).

• 2-day excursion to Moravia
  • Guided city tours
  • Earn up to 18 credits and transcript issued by Charles University
  • Internship and volunteer opportunities

AIFS Study Abroad Scholarships
AIFS Study Abroad Scholarships, Grants & Financial Support

We believe a study abroad experience is an essential component of well-rounded university education and we are committed to providing financial assistance to as many students as possible in support of their goal to study abroad.

$500 - $5,000

3.0 or 2.7 on a case by case basis!

Alejandra

Experience of a lifetime!

Have you ever dreamed of traveling the world? Of seeing places you'd never thought you'd see, meeting unforgettable people in one of the most beautiful cities in the world? I have, and I experienced it.

I found what I was looking for when I stumbled upon AIFS and their Prague, Czech Republic program. With their all-inclusive programs and optional flight package (which I took), it was easy every step of the way. Their unconditional support before, during, and after the program has been incredible and reassuring. I've met lifelong friends and took some of the best classes I've ever taken. I miss the city I lived in for 4 short months, and every day I remember the beautiful cobblestones and grandiose castles, the swans in the river and Letná Park. Thank you AIFS for the best experience I could have ever asked for.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I would visit more of the surrounding cities. The Czech Republic is the heart of Europe, and everything is just a short plane ride away! I don't regret spending my weekends lounging in Old Town Square or riding the metro to Prague Castle, but I should've stepped out of my comfort zone in the city and gone exploring some more!
Brook

Best Decision of My Study Abroad Experience

I know the title of this is super cheesy but its true! Studying with AIFS made my experience so much more enjoyable. Their staff was there for me throughout the application process to pre-departure to my time in Prague to making sure I knew about resources they had as I returned to the states. The onsite staff became my go to people to ask advice about what to do in Prague to just having someone to talk to about the local culture. Prague is a beautiful city with a rich culture and history that not a lot of people know about. Through AIFS we had the opportunity to have weekly walks through the city from one of our onsite staff who has lived in Prague for a good amount of his life. The things he showed us and told us about are things that I will never forget. He really knew where the gems of the city were hidden. That is just one of the many things AIFS provided us. They also organized optional cultural activities, such as going to hockey games, ballets, or cooking activities, and optional weekend excursions where they set up all transportation and lodging in a different city with local tours and events set up with free time to explore on your own. I am so lucky that I stumbled across this program when planning my study abroad trip because my trip would not have been what it was without AIFS.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I would spend more time just wandering the city. The cobblestone streets wind through the city and you would find somewhere new every time you would get out and walk around.
Cora

Be PRAGUE-matic and choose AIFS!

My semester in Prague provided me with so many unforgettable experiences and has inspired more travel to even further places. The staff at AIFS Prague helped make my transition to living in a foreign country easy by setting up local excursions and activities to expand my comfort in my new home. During this program, I was able to complete 20 credit hours towards my graduation and I had the opportunity to travel to 8 countries throughout Europe at an affordable price due to the central location. The dorms were comfortable, in a great location and I loved spending my nights studying in the basement pub. I wish I could go back to my days walking the cobblestone streets of Old Town and enjoying a Trdelník after class. With the fairytale location, affordable pubs, endless travel opportunities and friendships that will last a lifetime, you can't go wrong with choosing this program.

I would have enjoyed more opportunities meet locals and students through the program.
Laura

Choose Prague, Love Prague, Pick Prague

Studying abroad was easily the best decision I have ever made. It challenged me. It brought me experiences I never thought I would have the opportunity to do. It ultimately gave me wanderlust and a better perspective of the world. Living in Prague showed me so much that I simply can't write it all down in text to do it justice. Going into the semester, I knew that I would get to travel to countries I've never been and eat food I've never tried. I was going to meet all sorts of people and be the tourist who asks for directions and recommendations time and time again. However, what I didn't know going in was what really had the most impact on me going out. The appreciation I have for a quaint cafe or an evening in a park watching the sunset came from studying abroad. The love I have for meeting new people and knowing that I can learn something from everyone I encounter stemmed from living in Prague. The outlook I have on the world and wanting to experience it all is something that will never leave me, and for that I am forever grateful to Prague. What you think you'll get out of studying abroad, you most likely will. However, its all the extra stuff that comes with it, the stuff that comes from taking the wrong train for the third time or going to your favorite cafe every Tuesday; It's the moments of fate or serendipity that you will hold near and dear to your heart for the rest of your life. So, what are you waiting for? Choose Prague, Love Prague, Pick Prague.

Momo

Family away from Home

I was very unsure of which Affiliate program I wanted to use when choosing to study abroad in Spring 2018. When I first researched Affiliate programs AIFS was one of the first to come up and they offered so many different locations and schools that I was interested in. Being a business major my biggest concern was not being able to graduate on time and having access to business courses abroad. AIFS had so many business options and I chose to go to the University of Economics in Prague, Czech Republic! From the first initial time I got to Prague, AIFS was there with open arms and ready to answer any questions or concerns that I had. The on site staff felt like my family when I was over there and I truly felt like I could rely on them with any concern that I had. I got very sick when I was over there, and remember the AIFS staff being there for me and help me schedule a doctor's appointment immediately! I cannot thank AIFS enough for being there during my entire semester. I would not want to pick any other provider!

There were many weekly activities/excursions the program provided and sometimes those would conflict with my school schedule and I was unable to attend. I think potentially having more times for those excursions would be helpful!
Jake

The Best Year of College!

Studying abroad in Prague, Czech Republic was probably the most memorable experience of my college career thanks to AIFS. Looking at the program itself, the program with AIFS is both very affordable and supper immersive in the Czech culture. You have the option of living in a student dormitories in a nice part of Prague that allows you to meet lots of people and get really immersed in the student life in the area. The dorms itself are decent compared with what we have in North America but the experience was well worth it. There is also the less common option of finding you own accommodations. Living in Prague is also super affordable, as meals, going out, and planning trips never pushes your wallet's limit and allows you to do whatever you want for reasonable prices. You are also afforded a wide wage of classes at Charles University with great professors and amazing learning opportunities. The program administrators are also the most amazing people you will meet, the trips they take you on are very planned out, and the support they provide the students goes beyond expectations. Prague itself is such a beautiful city with so much to do and see. With a large variety of historical sights, museums, shows, performances, cafes, restaurants, clubs, and parks you will never get bored. The theater culture and LGBT scene in Prague is also something that often gets overlooked but is definitely something to look into if you want that sort of experience. The year I spent in Prague was spectacular and I miss it every day since I left, and AIFS helped make that experience even more great! When I returned to the United States I continued to work with AIFS as an Alumni Ambassador which helped me figure out what career I wanted to do after I graduate. Overall I recommend going to Prague with AIFS as its the most immersive program in the best possible location!

Rachel

Review: Fall Semester in Prague

There is next to nothing that I would change about my semester in Prague with AIFS. Prague is a beautiful city with convenient public transportation that can get you within a ten minute walk of anything, a rich history, cheap travel options, and an interesting culture. AIFS finds the perfect balance between coddling you and not giving enough support; when you first arrive, you will have a couple of weeks of orientation where you learn the basics of Czech language and culture, tour important parts of the city, and view other significant sites in the Czech Republic. Throughout the semester, you can visit the AIFS office in the center of the city for help planning travel, ideas for what to do around town, or any personal issues that might come up. Additionally, they plan weekly cultural events for students like café outings, tickets to the opera, or sporting events that help you immerse yourself in the culture.
The classes are easy to get to and mostly occur in the historic Charles University building, and while you don't get to take classes alongside Czech students, there may be other European students who are enrolled in your classes through the ERASMUS program.
Overall, I felt that I had access to all of the resources necessary to have the best possible experience in Prague. I learned so much about Czech culture and about myself.

While I enjoyed the classes I took, the selection was somewhat limited. AIFS could improve by generating a more expansive list of courses, specifically ones that might function as good replacements for courses that can be taken at domestic universities.
Nadia

Life Changing Experience in Prague

Before going abroad, I was not only hesitant, but also nervous-excited. I was excited to experience something totally new, but worried at the same time. My experience was so incredibly unique because my program with AIFS and studying at VŠE was only 9 people. For some, this many seem like too intimate of a group, but for the 9 of us; we become life long friends. Because the Charles University group was over 50 people, we were able to constantly go out to dinners, explore Prague, and get to know each other very well. Also, the on-site staff was nothing short of amazing. Renata, Maike, Zdenek, Jenny and Karin, were some of the kindest and most caring people I've been fortunate enough to meet in my lifetime.
One aspect of AIFS that I would like future participants to know is to not be scared of going. It may be an intimidating factor, and worry your parents like crazy, but just to sign up, and go abroad. It became something more than just "going abroad" but rather, learning more about myself and gaining skills I would've never acquired had I not gone abroad. For instance, today I am a significantly more confident person and no longer find it strange to speak to strangers, I love getting lost and find unique nooks and crannies, and meeting new people and learning their stories has become a hobby.
My favorite memory in Prague would just be to walk around the city and take in its beauty. As cliché as it may sound, there is something magical about Prague that is indescribable until you visit it for yourself. It truly does look like a city outside a fairytale storybook!
A few tips I'd love to share is to not overpack! It may be tempting to bring all of your favorite clothes but you really won't wear them and will want to fit in as much as possible which means purchasing clothes once you get to Europe. Also, travel with a hiking backpack! It was so easy to throw everything into my huge backpack and travel to multiple cities all over Europe. Use it as a carry-on when leaving the states and then continue using it for weekend trips. You'll be walking around for hours and hours waiting for your AirBnB or hostel to open up your room so you'll need something easy to carry around while seeing the city and waiting.

Possibly just the FX cards. Specifically, I didn't understand why the AIFS London office was in charge of the FX cards when were were using them in Czech Republic. Also, the cards were converted from pounds to euros but again, being in Czech Republic, we had crowns. This was the only frustration we had throughout the semester and while It wasn't the Prague AIFS office fault, the London-based office should've had better communication with the students in Prague.