This program is no longer offered. View more programs from Institute for Field Research.
IFR: Egypt - Fayum Field School

IFR: Egypt - Fayum Field School

Active Learning Environments Have Never Been More Accessible

Earn 8 semester credits with an experience that will serve you throughout your academic career.
Internal scholarships available, with more scholarship listings provided that can be applied to our programs.
47 unique field schools spanning 22 countries are available across disciplines presented by the preeminent experts in their fields.
Find out what you can gain from hands-on learning outside the traditional classroom setting.

The 2015 field school will excavate at the Graeco-Roman town of Karanis, founded in the third century BCE and abandoned during the early seventh century CE. The preservation of the ancient remains is excellent and a wide range of archaeological materials, including botanical macro-remains, textiles, wood and metal, is studied by a large group of archaeological specialists. The general focus is the ongoing investigation of a domestic context in order to augment our knowledge of the archaeobotanical and zooarchaeological record, of which the large-scale Michigan excavations provided scant information. For more information visit the field school website.

Age Requirement
Connecticut College will award each student 8 semester credit units (12 quarter units). Tuition includes credit units, and room and board.

A fantastic experience

The field school was better than I could ever have imagined. I learnt so much valuable information and I am grateful to all the tutors there for helping me whenever I needed it. Having had no prior archaeological experince this was a shot in the dark for me, but it paid off. I now know there is an awful lot more to archaeology than just brushing the ground! Day to day we worked from early morning till 2 in the afternoon, followed by cataloging the day's findings and a lecture. This was a brilliant and rewarding experince, and I couldn't have hoped for a better group of people, with whom I very much hope to keep in touch.

Probably would have appreciated a bit of extra sleep now and again...

An excellent and valuable experience

This field school was great and would suit someone with early university knowledge. Hands-on application of learned techniques and great companions made it something I'll cherish forever. The program is challenging in terms of work load, requiring early mornings and physical fitness, however personal strengths and limitations were catered for. The atmosphere of this field school was friendly and warm, and we felt safe at all times, despite moderate unrest in the Sinai while we were there. We were well prepared for the examination and personal project and I felt that I definitely left with a lot more knowledge and some great contacts from abroad.

I would allow for hands on work with specialists on a rotational basis.

About Institute for Field Research

The Institute for Field Research (IFR) was created in March 2011 by a group of leading academic archaeologists. Operating as an independent, nonprofit academic organization has allowed us to break down traditional institutional barriers and deliver...