Study Abroad at The American University in Cairo

First Year Experience activities
First Year Experience activities
Students studying on campus
Students studying on campus

With more than 35 undergraduate and 40 graduate programs, you are sure to find the right one for you. At AUC, we offer a wide and diverse range of U.S. and globally accredited academic programs, designed to meet the needs of all types of learners. Explore sociology, Egyptology, gender and women’s studies or comparative religion; enroll in the region’s top Middle East studies program; study your preferred field of engineering; or learn how to start up a green business in our sustainable development program.

• Enjoy Total Immersion in Cairo’s Culture. Employers today seek to hire global citizens with international exposure and diverse cultural experiences.
  • Talk like an Egyptian; Perfect your Arabic. Spoken by 295 million speakers worldwide, Arabic is among the top 10 high demand business languages today.
  • Diversify your studies; Explore new fields. At AUC, we offer a wide and diverse range of U.S. and globally accredited academic programs, designed to meet the needs of all types of learners.
  • Stand out and jump-start your career. As an AUC student, you can exploit a professional team of certified career counselors to enhance your employability.
  • Feel safe on campus: Your home away from home.

Chaima

don't want to write a review because this means that my experience is coming to an end.
I really enjoyed and still enjoying every minute i'm spending here. I want to thank you for allowing me to have precious time in your amazing uni and amazing country. I appreciate every little thing here from the doctors to the security guards everyone is so kind and supportive.
i discovered a completely different Egypt of the one I was expecting. I discovered a safe, fun and kind one and I couldn’t be happier because when i came here , i had this idea that i will face some difficulties regarding the conditions of the country which hopefully didn't happen !
i hope i will have the chance to come back and i definitely recommend the experience to anyone you won't be disappointed.

Camilla

A great experience!

I have really loved living in Cairo and studying at AUC, and I would recommend it to anyone. The AUC campus is beautiful and they offer so many interesting courses. I study psychology, and getting to see my field from a middle eastern perspective has been highly interesting and has taught me a lot.

The semester is coming to an end, and I must say I've been surprised at how much I've enjoyed staying here, - so much so that I wish I didn't have to go back home. I have learned so much, both academically and personally, met some wonderful people and fallen in love with the chaotic and charming city of Cairo. People are really friendly and helpful, and there is just so much to experience here!

Are you thinking of studying in Cairo? Do it!

Marie

You should go

Campus is beautiful, classes are interesting, and people are nice. Egypt is a great place to be an exchange student because people here are open, helpful, and easy to talk with. Although applying may be a bit of a hassle, once you get to campus the student support is top notch; way above and beyond any other institution I've been to. If you do not know any Arabic beforehand, I would recommend investing time in that while you're here. Not because it's necessary but because it will add so much to your experience. You will probably be perpetually lost at first (and maybe later too, depending on your memory and sense of direction), learn to go with that. There's beauty in being lost and asking for help. My best advice is come here and see for yourself.

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
So I haven't actually eaten it yet, but I plan to try a stuffed pigeon before going home. I'm told it's good...
Kristine

A Unique Educational Experience

... is what you will enjoy being enrolled as an AUC-student! The American University in Cairo offers the experience of an affluent and academically excellent American university located in beautiful and historical Egypt. That is, you get to attend a university based on the American highly and globally acknowledged system and explore a new and interesting culture all the while.
AUC offers a high amount of interesting courses in several fields. The quality of the academics presented here is very high, and once you settle for courses that match your level, you can be sure that they will impact your general education. Professors are competent, helpful and friendly, and the relation between professors and students is somewhat relaxed although it is also formal. The communication at the university is generally incredible whether it is between students and professors or students and administration. You will find an appropriate office located within campus for any issue you may have, where you can ask for help and guidance.
Besides the academics, AUC offers several options for social life on and off campus, and there are scheduled events every week. There are student organisations, unions and sport teams. There are some arranged trips around Egypt initiated by the university, which is perfect for the students abroad, who get the chance to go and explore in groups. Additionally, if you still do enjoy academic content in your free time, there are always additional (and very interesting!) lectures to attend on campus throughout the day.
The security and safety of campus are very reliable and generally good as well as is daily life in Cairo. Whether on or off campus, people are generally friendly and helpful, and it is easy to make friends. This is an important chance to experience the "true" Egyptian culture firsthand, which you should not miss out on.
I will recommend AUC to any exchange/study abroad student!

Although AUC-campus is quite amazing, make sure to go and explore Cairo-life outside the uni-gates! There are numbers of beautiful and historical places to see around Egypt, and although there are many, many students enrolled at AUC, there are many, many other people to meet around the country as well.
Sandra

Studying on Ancient Lands in Modern Networks

As a media communications major, studying in Egypt has been an experience of a life time. In my time in Egypt, I've gotten the chance to go to excursions in Modern and Old Coptic Cairo, visited Egyptian sites like the Pyramids in Giza, the Egyptian Museum, an oasis and iconic cities in Egypt. At the same time have taken classes in my focus of study with local Egyptian students and have gotten to understand their perspective and techniques on media. I also had the chance to work on productions for music video projects, have been interviewed for the university's study abroad promotional video campaigns. Lastly, participated in the centennial international day, representing Mexico as a Mexican American I got to visit the Mexican Embassy in Egypt.

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
The most nerve-racking moment I have experienced in Egypt that proved to be one of the best, even when I had zero experience. Was standing on top of sand dunes with the only way down was to sand board down the slope and fly off a ramp midway down back to an Egyptian oasis. I definitely enjoyed myself in those exhilarating moments.
Kristine

A unique educational experience

... is what you will enjoy being enrolled as an AUC-student! I am on a study abroad program for one semester only (Spring 2019), and I, by now that my semester is drawing to a close, feel that I could at least stay for one more.
The American University in Cairo offers the experience of an affluent and academically excellent American university located in beautiful and historical Egypt. That is, you get to attend a university based on the American highly and globally acknowledged system and explore a new and interesting culture all the while. To me, this has been the best of both worlds and what has made the experience unique.
I will recommend AUC to any exchange/study abroad student!

Jihan

AUC recommendation

I am currently a master student enrolled in the Global Public Health program at the AUC. It has been such a privilege and honor. My director and the institutes dean work very hard to recruit the best teachers from all over the world so that we can have a full rounded education. The one thing I specifically like is how your professors become your friends and how there is an open door policy with nearly all professors. The campus holds a lot of events for the students and never leaves them bored. This ranges from public sport events like zumba to open air concerts. AUC also has a range of clubs where you can pursue any of your talents like art, music, literature, economics and finance, health issues and political science. I really encourage anyone to come to the AUC, not only because of the outstanding academic standards and campus life, but also because of Egypt's history and tourism.

Amani

AUC-Spring2019

Being at AUC is one of the best opportunities of my college life. The people, academics, housing, campus, everything about AUC and Egypt is absolutely amazing. Being able to experience living in Egypt with a new culture and environmental definitely opened my eyes even more to the uniques cultures of the world. I’ve made so many friends, not only Egyptians and other Arabs, but also from other countries all around the world. The International and Egyptian community alike are so welcoming and nice they have made me feel right at home. Not only is life on campus amazing but all the touristic sites are historically beautiful and the nightlife is simply fun. During my time at AUC, I lived on campus in the dorms and I had an amazing time. I was fortunate that my roommates are incredible girls. We became really good friends and were able to have a good living atmosphere. I recommend studying at AUC and I hope Im the future to be able to come back.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
I believe the most surprising thing I saw was about 5 teenage boys sitting all together on one motorcycle. This was especially shocking because the traffic in be a little scary.
Elia

Really good university experience, but not necessarily the best cultural experience

Upsides:
- The AUC campus is amazing. It is gorgeous, clean, and offers all the infrastructure that you need and much more. Expecially the sports complex is incredible.
- There are usually just a dozen (maximum two dozen) students in each class, which renders the learning experience very intimate. The professors are skilled and accessible.
- There are many activities offered on campus, and many student associations / sports clubs to choose from.
- The Arabic classes are of great quality.

Downsides:
- The new campus is quite far from the city center
- The whole environment can feel a bit elitist at times. Altough AUC is a good start, if you want to experience the "real" Egypt, meaning the whole of the Egyptian society, you need to go outside the uni and get to meet non-AUCians as well.

Overall a really great university experience and a decent but not complete cultural experience.

Anna

An amazing institution!

I have one month left of my study abroad experience at AUC, and I wish it weren't coming to an end. The campus is beautiful, students and faculty are friendly, and the academics are rather impressive. I felt so unprepared to visit a MENA country for the first time, but AUC offers the perfect balance of "home" and Egyptian culture. I am a business student, and all of the business courses are challenging, engaging, and interesting. I also study Arabic, and I have made so much progress in the past few months! The student dorms are much nicer than an American dorm I've ever seen, and safety is top notch.

The visa process through the school was a bit unclear and troublesome, but everything worked out before my tourist visa expired. The International Programming Office is incredibly helpful for any issue you might have, and I was surrounded by other international students fro all over the world.

The orientation programming was a bit unorganized and repetitive. Communication prior to arrival was also not the best.
Hala

Best place to study abroad in is AUC!

After living in Abudhabi for 18 years, I chose to study at AUC. I never regretted my decision as it is a place that I learn different things and also have friends in. The liberal arts program has helped me to find my true passion aside from Mass communication which is business. Also, i have discovered a lot about the Egyptian culture like how they dress, eat and behave. Consequently, I became in love with the culture as I never lived in my country. Discovering Egypt by trips AUC does every now and then way a great experience. Also, I loved how the university is diverse with all cultures in Egypt in addition to also their mentality. Doctors in the university are always eager to teach us and make us learn something. Hence, studying abroad in Egypt has a lot of advantages and it is a must to try it❤️

I advise the future travelers to try and visit AUC to uncover their passion and potential in addition to discover the beauty of Egypt
Marwa

Experience worth trying!!!

Egypt is an exciting culture rich country. No two persons will ever have the same experience in Egypt with so much to do and see in this country. So why not study and live here? Studying in AUC Was a great experience with all around awesome safe campus and welcoming faculty and staff. The knowledge and experience of the professors will add to and expand your knowledge and will allow you to go away with an experience unlike any other. The activities on campus are also unparalleled. Every week there is something different to do or an event to attend whether it be academic or not. That is also aside from the trips that are geered towards introducing students to different regions in Egypt. I highly recommend AUC to any student looking to expand their selves on any level.

Iyanu

Home away from home

My last year as an undergraduate was all about envisaging on how studying abroad is going to be. By then, I had little knowledge on what it takes to go overseas. All I wanted was to taste the sweet experience of travelling, meeting new people and facing new academic challenges. I was particularly keen about American standard of learning. Soon enough, I realized I got to face US school application with little experience. I came across AUC from a scholarship forum on whats app and I concluded this could be exactly what I was looking for. So far studying in AUC has made me seen learning as means of self transformation. The flexibility in everything couple with students needs change the stressful part of academics to be fun, fulfilling and rewarding . AUC is a global university, when you think about the hub of international life and experience in Egypt, think AUC. Talking about numerous benefits will make me write and non stop. Only studying here will make someone capture the worthwhile experience. For me is home away from home.

Paul

HOME OF HOSPITALITY AND KNOWLEDGE FACILITIES

My resolve to travel to Egypt from Nigeria my country of origin, was one thought of by many close associates as as an undeserving academic adventure to the land of religious extremism characterized by high level discrimination and violence.
Despite my personal resolve to seek knowledge at all cost, and no matter where, I was overwhelmed with feelings of uncertainties. On one hand that my faith will be faced with terrible challenges and on the other hand how to cope with violence in my new abode.
However, the warmhearted reception and constant conviviality accorded me on arrival drastically changed my initial impression and switched my mood to that of one who had been welcomed to his new home.
The unique academic environment at AUC cattering for learners of all class, 'abled and differently abled' appeals much to me. It gives me an impression of an existing paradise of learning at the citadel of knowledge.
Attitudes of lecturers, nonacademic staffers, students and other Egyptians I have met confirmed to me that 'experience indeed, is the best teacher' in life.
Adding to all of these is the tourist attractions spread in different locations that re-echos to me as well as other countless tourists the ancient civilization of Egypt.
On the whole, coming to AUC is coming to learn more than you can imagine.

With funding opportunities, the program is sure to attract more scholars and support many countless individuals willing to develop themselves except for paucity of fund to achieve their dreams in life.
Linda

A cultural and academic adventure!

I would describe my semester in Egypt as an enormous cultural adventure! Coming from a western country, going to Cairo is a big change. About 95% of the students, so in my case, I was the only international student in most of my classes. Luckily, all the courses are in English and all the teachers (and most of the students) are fluent in English and do not mind switching from Arabic to Engish when you join the conversation.
The campus is very luxurious and has a beautiful garden where you can sit if it is not too hot outside. The buildings were a bit of a maze to me when I first arrived, since they are all in the same Cairo architectural style, but that is just something to get used to. There are campus dorms that are very safe and look very comfortable. However, they are quite expensive and there is sometimes a waiting list. There are plenty of (very cheap) housing options outside of the campus. It is easy to team up with other internationals in the first week to find an apartment together. The travel time will be a bit longer, but the school bus is comfortable (about 1.5 hours on average from the Cairo city center to campus, for around 2 dollars)
The classes at AUC we easy to follow for me and the teachers provide generally enough information to practice, evaluate, and receive feedback. Most teachers give graded homework and pop quizzes next to the exams, a bit like in High School. The staff members warned me not to take too many "difficult" courses, however, the courses here are easier than in European universities. So don't be afraid to challenge yourself :)
Before arrival, communication through email was a bit slow, last-minute, and incomplete, which caused some surprises and issues in the first week of arrival. Luckily, on campus the students and staff are very helpful, they helped me solve the issues. There are enough places to ask for help and support.
Overall it was a worthwhile adventure that changed my perspective on culture and the Middle East, and I have learned many life lessons inside and outside the classes.

Communication before the arrival could be improved. More international students would also make it easier to integrate.

Staff Interviews

About The American University in Cairo (AUC)

For nearly 100 years, The American University in Cairo has been welcoming students and teachers from around the world. Founded in 1919, AUC is Egypt’s leading English-language, American-accredited institution of higher education and is ranked among...