Study Abroad at The American University in Cairo

With more than 35 undergraduate and 40 graduate programs, you are sure to find the right one for you. At AUC, we offer a wide and diverse range of U.S. and globally accredited academic programs, designed to meet the needs of all types of learners. Explore sociology, Egyptology, gender and women’s studies or comparative religion; enroll in the region’s top Middle East studies program; study your preferred field of engineering; or learn how to start up a green business in our sustainable development program.

• Enjoy Total Immersion in Cairo’s Culture. Employers today seek to hire global citizens with international exposure and diverse cultural experiences.
  • Talk like an Egyptian; Perfect your Arabic. Spoken by 295 million speakers worldwide, Arabic is among the top 10 high demand business languages today.
  • Diversify your studies; Explore new fields. At AUC, we offer a wide and diverse range of U.S. and globally accredited academic programs, designed to meet the needs of all types of learners.
  • Stand out and jump-start your career. As an AUC student, you can exploit a professional team of certified career counselors to enhance your employability.
  • Feel safe on campus: Your home away from home.

Iyanu

Home away from home

My last year as an undergraduate was all about envisaging on how studying abroad is going to be. By then, I had little knowledge on what it takes to go overseas. All I wanted was to taste the sweet experience of travelling, meeting new people and facing new academic challenges. I was particularly keen about American standard of learning. Soon enough, I realized I got to face US school application with little experience. I came across AUC from a scholarship forum on whats app and I concluded this could be exactly what I was looking for. So far studying in AUC has made me seen learning as means of self transformation. The flexibility in everything couple with students needs change the stressful part of academics to be fun, fulfilling and rewarding . AUC is a global university, when you think about the hub of international life and experience in Egypt, think AUC. Talking about numerous benefits will make me write and non stop. Only studying here will make someone capture the worthwhile experience. For me is home away from home.

Paul

HOME OF HOSPITALITY AND KNOWLEDGE FACILITIES

My resolve to travel to Egypt from Nigeria my country of origin, was one thought of by many close associates as as an undeserving academic adventure to the land of religious extremism characterized by high level discrimination and violence.
Despite my personal resolve to seek knowledge at all cost, and no matter where, I was overwhelmed with feelings of uncertainties. On one hand that my faith will be faced with terrible challenges and on the other hand how to cope with violence in my new abode.
However, the warmhearted reception and constant conviviality accorded me on arrival drastically changed my initial impression and switched my mood to that of one who had been welcomed to his new home.
The unique academic environment at AUC cattering for learners of all class, 'abled and differently abled' appeals much to me. It gives me an impression of an existing paradise of learning at the citadel of knowledge.
Attitudes of lecturers, nonacademic staffers, students and other Egyptians I have met confirmed to me that 'experience indeed, is the best teacher' in life.
Adding to all of these is the tourist attractions spread in different locations that re-echos to me as well as other countless tourists the ancient civilization of Egypt.
On the whole, coming to AUC is coming to learn more than you can imagine.

With funding opportunities, the program is sure to attract more scholars and support many countless individuals willing to develop themselves except for paucity of fund to achieve their dreams in life.
Linda

A cultural and academic adventure!

I would describe my semester in Egypt as an enormous cultural adventure! Coming from a western country, going to Cairo is a big change. About 95% of the students, so in my case, I was the only international student in most of my classes. Luckily, all the courses are in English and all the teachers (and most of the students) are fluent in English and do not mind switching from Arabic to Engish when you join the conversation.
The campus is very luxurious and has a beautiful garden where you can sit if it is not too hot outside. The buildings were a bit of a maze to me when I first arrived, since they are all in the same Cairo architectural style, but that is just something to get used to. There are campus dorms that are very safe and look very comfortable. However, they are quite expensive and there is sometimes a waiting list. There are plenty of (very cheap) housing options outside of the campus. It is easy to team up with other internationals in the first week to find an apartment together. The travel time will be a bit longer, but the school bus is comfortable (about 1.5 hours on average from the Cairo city center to campus, for around 2 dollars)
The classes at AUC we easy to follow for me and the teachers provide generally enough information to practice, evaluate, and receive feedback. Most teachers give graded homework and pop quizzes next to the exams, a bit like in High School. The staff members warned me not to take too many "difficult" courses, however, the courses here are easier than in European universities. So don't be afraid to challenge yourself :)
Before arrival, communication through email was a bit slow, last-minute, and incomplete, which caused some surprises and issues in the first week of arrival. Luckily, on campus the students and staff are very helpful, they helped me solve the issues. There are enough places to ask for help and support.
Overall it was a worthwhile adventure that changed my perspective on culture and the Middle East, and I have learned many life lessons inside and outside the classes.

Communication before the arrival could be improved. More international students would also make it easier to integrate.
Oline

Not what I Expected

Everyone told me it was going to be hard living in Cairo, but honestly now after 4 months I’m still wondering what they were referring to. It’s been very different, and nothing is as it’s “supposed” to be but everything gets done and sorted anyway, just never in the way you assumed. Which is what makes everyday in Cairo exciting. You never know what’s going to happen.
I live in Zamalek and would definitely recommend to live near downtown and off campus even though the commute is long it’s worth it. When it comes to activities there are a lot of cool clubs on campus but I would recommend to volunteer or join groups or communities outside of campus because AUC is a bobble, it’s an amazing bobble but some times I found my self needing a change of scene.
I study visual journalism and I had a few production courses which were very cool and I learned a lot from them, on the other hand the more academic courses i took weren’t very challenging.
But in the full experience I have definitely enjoyed my semester at AUC, but for me the experience has been more about Egypt and Cairo than my studies, which is all intentional.

Samuel

A Balanced Place to Study

The American University in Cairo (AUC) is culturally and intellectually balanced. The faculty and staff mutually enhance learning in an awesome style. AUC also has state-of-the-art facilities to support research and knowledge acquisition in diverse subjects’ domain.

As a graduate student in the American University in Cairo, I see myself open to a host of opportunities, they include teaching and research assistantships, professional development seminars, international conferences, work-study program and so on.

Just in my first semester in AUC, I have attended few seminars which were so enlightening- thanks to AUC TAGS. In the academic aspect, the few graduate courses I have taken were so challenging in terms of study rigour, volume and grade expectation.
It’s also good to point that majority AUC students are friendly and welcoming.
In all, AUC is a place for explorers!

Monsurah

Coming to Egypt

Coming to Egypt to complete my education was the best decision my parents ever made. I could see the differences between studying back in Nigeria to that of Egypt. Although the education back home is quite good, the system is quite different here. In terms of studying I find the school system here depends on memorization while back home what you write down is based on your understanding. It impacted the way I studied because I had to follow the system and memorize a lot of stuff which later became second nature to me. My favorite memory is going to the pyramids where the guides over there tries every possible best to get as much money from you as possible. The distance to the entrance of the pyramid is not far but they made it sound far that I had to ride with them and pay them and got down after 30 seconds.

The program is very fun and educative. It really challenges your creative side and bring out your active side. There's no time to be lazy.
Mark

My New Home

Before leaving for my trip I was excited and fearful at the same time. I could not wait to embark on all of the adventures that I knew Egypt could offer, but I was afraid of not knowing anyone, being alone, and missing out on all of the events that would go on at home while I was gone. Looking back now I feel silly for allowing these worries to cloud my mind. While missing things at home with loved ones did make me feel sad from time to time, I continuously reminded myself that no one back at home was experiencing the new and amazing things that I was in a foreign country. One of the most incredible parts of studying abroad was the opportunity to make new friends from all over the world. I now have some of the best friends of my life. Having the opportunity to spend time with people from all over the word opened my eyes to the way that things are done in other countries. Prior to studying abroad I only really knew what it was like to live in the Audan, but now I have a greater knowledge of the cultures, governments, and customs of various countries throughout the world.In addition, the campus is very beautiful and staff is very professional which makes things more interesting and much easier.

Corné

Exchange Semester in Cairo

My semester abroad at AUC has been an amazing experience. The city of Cairo is intruiging, and living there has definitely helped me in achieving personal development goals. As for AUC, I have had the opportunity to study the language and the region, and those courses were of good quality. Professors are passionate about their classes and are always willing to help you in any way. Foreign students can count on an extensive support network from AUC as well, with lots of activities being organised to integrate them into the community and meet Egyptian students. However, there were some logistical problems related to visa procedures, among others, which for a lot of people (including myself) has been an annoyance throughout the semester. All in all though, I can definitely recommend other people to go study here, as I think it is a once in a lifetime-experience.

Jamil

Culture shock Cairo

With No Arabic knowledge yet being an African, the AUC experience was one that was worth it and definitely worth for self exploration to decide what Egypt means to you! The media shows a whole different side of Egypt, Moreover the negative side is what is shown as compared to its natural beauty. The AUC is a great institution with one of the most beautiful infrastructures that I’ve ever studied at! Extremely huge means traveling from one end to the other could take 10-15 mins. The courses and programs offered are interesting and valuable in terms of content. I came to pursue Journalism and Television, I enjoyed the theory and practical work that we learned through out the semester! I enjoyed the Egyptian natural beauty from the desert to the Red Sea to the night life in Zamalek. Other than language as a barrier, the Egyptians can somewhat seem friendly but the ignorance against race and ethnicity still exists.

Inclusivity with all cultural backgrounds! Too many cliques 😕
Digne

Nice Time

I am without a doubt very grateful for the chance to have studied in Cairo for the semester. The campus is beautiful, I felt safe, things generally ran rather smoothly (other than visa issues), the gym/pool and food options were great, and Cairo/Egypt was of course incredible. As far as academics, I didn't really feel challenged by my seminars to think critically or to really learn much new information (except for my one graduate-level course), so that was a bit of a downside. I found the classes were a bit too easy and yet they required a lot of busy work from me. Thankfully though I took the graduate-level seminar which was fascinating and I learned so much from that! So perhaps consider doing that yourself? Also, I study literature and communications, so perhaps it differs for each program. All in all though, I'm still very glad I came and would recommend it.

Fix the visa issues! I had to wait for like 2 months to get my student visa, and pay a late fee even though I had submitted everything on time.
Jaemin

Beautiful campus and good faculty but not good location.

AUC has a beautiful campus with traditional style of architecture. it almost seems like a castle. and this was why i chose this university for my exchange program. and i don't regret my choice to be here.
faculty was also nice generally. even though i suffered a hard time with a team work, since they spoke arabic each other, i managed to it for asking help for my professor. as far as i experienced, my professors were really nice and tried to speak and teach us in 100% english. however, i heard from my other international students that they sometimes speak in arabic and never translate.
i lived in dormitory. i at the beginning registered for the on-campus dormitory but it was overbooked that some students were obliged to move to faculty housing(off-campus dorm). it is located near gate 4, which is 10 minutes far. the facility of off-campus dormitory is actually really nice, nicer than on-campus to be honest, since it was built for faculties. and i paid the same amount money with the on-campus dorm. i think both have pros and cons. I've never imagined that 10 minutes walking (or even more depending on which building) is harsh for me cause it is scorching in the summer. but fortunately AUC provides shuttle bus for us.
nearby campus, there is a big mall called "point 90", and i literally went there everyday to have meal. it is quiet good place and we can grab some food and things. However, i could say there is nothing to join without this. there are some other malls near auc but not better than point 90. and new cairo is kind of rich place that it is hard to feel the "real egypt". if you want to feel it, you gotta go old cairo, located 1 hour far from new cairo. you guys actually can also live in downtown or other hot place rather than new cairo. auc provide shuttle bus. but you have to pay a little amount for it each time. among the all, one big good point of living in new cairo is that it is really quiet.
the price here is affordable. to be honest, i don't really feel that new cairo is that cheap, but when it compares with the quality of food, you might admit that it is cheap actually.
Consequently, i really enjoyed the semester here in auc, i could make a lot of international and local friends. Egyptians are mostly friendly. it was also really nice to see the pyramids and other great places where i could see through the trips provided by auc at the beginning of the semester. it was super great. through the whole semester, i could say i experienced a lot of different things that i have never experienced before, and broadened my perspective. you guys should come here and enjoy your study-abroad life. just chill out here!

i think visa problem has to be improved in some points. it was procrastinating for a long time and a lot of international students actually suffered the same thing. without this, however, everything was fine in general.
Ahmed

AUC Experience

Living the AUC experience is not limited to leading an academic life on campus and getting some credit hours. Aside from the academic support and great opportunities in the field of my study, one can find AUC campus an environment in which one is stimulated to undergo the experience of social and spiritual growth. As an international student, I get tons of emails about new opportunities, trips and activities to be done outside of the academic sphere. Aside from that, the campus is diverse. I do not only mean students from different countries, but Egyptian students from different backgrounds who actively encourage you to understand where they come from and set you up with worthwhile adventures. Egypt is a place of deep historical, societal, and religious values. It sure is a place worth discovering and if you are interested in getting a taste of such values and you do not know where to start, I recommend giving study abroad at AUC a shot to visit a place of great academic experience that also emphasizes on your identity growth and presents you with the opportunity to discover the birth place of the world's oldest civilization.

More clear guidelines for international student activity. Probably a club for international students as well.
Michael

Semester Exchange at the American University in Cairo

Overall I had an amazing and extremely rewarding experience at AUC. The campus looks like a resort, and support services are great. Going through the student-visa process can be a bit annoying, but that's just Egyptian bureaucracy I guess.
Education wise it's good to do some research before booking your courses, as there is a great degree of variability in the quality of courses. I did some research on professors through the facebook page of "Rate AUC professors" and asked AUC about the quality of professors. I ended up taking a total of three courses, and 2 of them were simply amazing, whereas 1 was just average.
Regarding housing, I would advise students to live in downtown and not in New Cairo. There's a lot more going on and a lot more to discover. Additionally it's also much more authentic than the recently built and very artificial New Cairo.
Overall I can highly recommend going to AUC. Your time in Cairo will be full of new adventures and new experiences. My 5 months here were nothing short of impressive and extremely rewarding.

Maybe the interaction between Egyptians and foreigners on campus could be improved.
Nick

A nice adventure in Cairo

My stay in Cairo was a controversial one, however, not due to the AUC. The cource selection here is immerse, and instructors are both passionate and professional.
I took a course “Contemporary Israel/Palestine” by Prof. Molavi, which was one of the best during my entire academic experience.
Additionally, I have managed to improve my Arabic significantly. Prof. Abdel-Wahab encoraged me to speak the language all the time and use it in my everyday life.
Moreover, a coure “Development politics and International cooperation” taught by Prof. Elnur can be if great interest to those who would like to know more about the Global South.
The only drawback was university administration which didn’t assist the international students until we started to conplain.
Please, keep in mind, that visa application process might be confusing and exhausting as well.

Lauren

Auc Experience

Living in Cairo was such a diverse experience that I will remember for the rest of my life. Cairo offered immersion in culture, religion, architecture, history, people, among many other things. There are many scenes to explore in Cairo and lots of secret beauty to be found. It is a chaotic city that is unique, nowhere like it. AUC is an amazing campus, the staff is super friendly, the professors are incredible, and the student body is interesting. There are many clubs and programs to get involved in. Living in the dorms was a comfortable and convenient experience, although as a foreigner I wasn't used to the gender split. I met friends I will have for the rest of my life from all over the world, including Egyptians. They offer many diverse classes in interesting subjects across the board. The coursework is doable and not difficult.

More aid from the staff in regards to travel and visa processes.

About The American University in Cairo (AUC)

For nearly 100 years, The American University in Cairo has been welcoming students and teachers from around the world. Founded in 1919, AUC is Egypt’s leading English-language, American-accredited institution of higher education and is ranked among...