• England
    • Oxford
Term
Academic Year, Fall, Spring
Anthropology Arts Biochemistry Computer Science Geology Liberal Arts Medicine Russian and Eastern European Studies Social Sciences

Program Details

Dormitory

Pricing

$22,300 USD
See website for details. Scholarships available!
What's Included
Accommodation Some Activities Classes Travel Insurance
What's Not Included
Activities Airfare Meals SIM cards Transportation Visa
Jun 03, 2021
Sep 16, 2015

The world's oldest English-speaking university

University of Oxford, a member of the prestigious Russell Group, is the world’s oldest English-speaking university, and ranks consistently as the top university in the world.

Established in 1096, the university consists of numerous semi-autonomous constituent colleges and halls, all of which maintain reputations as elite centers of learning. University of Oxford in its entirety is home to 24,000 students, approximately 11,000 of whom are international, from 160 countries.

Oxford is highly competitive, and world renowned for its high academic standards and research and teaching excellence. Your studies through Arcadia at one of six Oxford colleges will take place in the framework of the tutorial system. You can apply to study the sciences, social sciences, or arts at one of six colleges: St. Anne’s, St. Catherine’s, St. Edmund Hall, Lady Margaret Hall, Mansfield College, or Hertford College.

Program Highlights

• Arcadia excursions enhance cultural immersion and provide meaningful context
  • This is a highly sought after and competitive opportunity for students at Junior or Senior standing with an excellent academic background, with early application deadlines
  • This system requires intensive academic preparation and independent work, which you’ll then discuss one-on-one or in small groups with an assigned college tutor
  • The Oxford academic year is three terms, and students can choose between fall term, spring two term, or a full academic year, depending upon the college into which they’re accepted.
  • Each college at Oxford maintains its own social events and distinct college culture, while drawing from the amenities and characteristics of Oxford as a whole

• 9-10 rating 66.67%
  • 7-8 rating 33.33%
Rebecca

Fantastic Opportunity

I attended a large University for college, and always craved individual attention, and true academic challenge that could be hard to find. My semester at Oxford provided all that and more. I really grew into my academic interests while working with my professors one-on-one. I even helped to run a research project while I was there. Studying in the libraries was incredibly inspiring, and I'll never forget the feeling of being handed a 2-page reading list each week and being told to read as much as I could. Such a great way to push yourself.

Outside of class, the friends I made are still some of my best. We'd punt on the Thames, go to rowing races, explore the historic bars and coffee shops, and go on day trips whenever we could.

If you are looking for a cheaper way to study abroad at Oxford, look into their Visiting Student Programme. You can apply directly to the university and save on the program fee. I'd go back and do that if I could.
Alexandra

St. Catherine's College, Oxford

Obviously, studying at Oxford was academically rigorous. This isn't going to be your typical study abroad experience! While many of my peers refunded from their study abroad experiences with stories of their ABUNDANT free time, I came back with a bag filled with essays and a mind filled with knowledge. Through Arcadia, I experienced an authentic Oxford education-- I lived on campus with other students, studies in the Radcliffe Camera, and drank at the local historic pubs that all became familiar. Oxford, itself, is absolutely breathtaking and walking to and from lectures was like walking through history. You will be held to the same standards as the matriculated students, but if you have a sense of discipline, you'll be able to work during the days and have your evenings and weekends free to socialize and travel. The program provided a wonderful orientation in London. Though I wish we had had more contact throughout my stay, they were very responsive and supportive whenever I reached out to them. If you're thinking of traveling abroad and you want to challenge and surprise yourself, there is no better place than the "city of dreaming spires." Good luck!

I wish I had had more information on the tutorial system of Oxford as well as the library system. Acclimating to the academics took up precious time and energy and a quick guide could have benefitted me significantly.
Bailey

Arcadia Oxford

My experience at Arcadia's Oxford program refined me as a scholar and grew me as an individual. I was placed in Hertford College, conveniently located next to the main library (Radcliffe Camera), one of the most iconic sights at the university. My peers at Hertford were incredibly welcoming. I relished getting to know new friends in the dining hall, where we ate all our meals, and on the rowing team, which I joined and raced with in the Summer VIIIs Regatta in May. The city is beautiful, and I felt I had so much mental space, so much time to linger over a tea in a corner cafe, or walk through Christ Church Meadow. I blogged a lot and even read for fun. There was certainly room to travel on the weekends and on the six-week Easter Vacation between Hilary and Trinity terms, for which I backpacked through the continent.

As far as scholarship--I study Renaissance Literature, and was paired with two expert professors for my one-on-one tutorials. My tutors invested in me and challenged me to engage with a wider range of texts, pushing me to generate a body of scholarship I was truly proud of. The lectures at the English Faculty truly impressed, and you can go to as many or as few as you like--your schedule is flexible to your commitments, energy, and work load. The resources in the Bodleian Library are unparalleled (I got to handle a First Folio!) and the live theatre in London and Stratford was just a train ride away. I took much of this research back to my home university to incorporate with my senior thesis, and I can honestly say that the work done in Oxford is what has convinced me I can make it in an English PhD.

As for the staff of Arcadia, they were always there to support us through the tribulations of adapting to life in a new place. The orientation in London before the beginning of term introduced me to British culture and eased the transition to a foreign university and city. They touched base with us throughout the semester, and made sure we always had a network of support. They facilitate taking advantage of your time in Oxford to the fullest extent.

I wish there were more excursions to see other parts of England (e.g. Bath, Liverpool, Brighton) as a group. That would have helped us bond more as a cohort and would have allowed us to get to know the country better.
Read my full story