Arcadia University- University of Oxford

Arcadia University- University of Oxford

Founded in the 10th century, the University of Oxford is the oldest English-speaking University in the world. Composed of 39 distinctive, self-managing colleges, Oxford provides a singular academic experience for the competitive student. Your studies will be driven by your intellectual interests and will require a significant amount of self-motivation and curiosity.

Travel to fascinating places of interest that enhance your cultural immersion and give a meaningful context to your academic courses. Excursions may include: Rugby match, Hampton Court Day Excursion, and Keats house.

Arcadia University opens the doors to new experiences, different academic learning, people, cultures and perspectives so you can build your own lifelong learning and memories. With Arcadia, you can: Enjoy academic success, explore a new world, get to know yourself, rely on us for support, and boost your resume.

Europe » England » Oxford
Philosophy
Photography
Russian and Eastern European Studies
Social Sciences
See website for details. Scholarships available!

Rebecca
California
University of Massachusetts- Amherst

Fantastic Opportunity

I attended a large University for college, and always craved individual attention, and true academic challenge that could be hard to find. My semester at Oxford provided all that and more. I really grew into my academic interests while working with my professors one-on-one. I even helped to run a research project while I was there. Studying in the libraries was incredibly inspiring, and I'll never forget the feeling of being handed a 2-page reading list each week and being told to read as much as I could. Such a great way to push yourself.

Outside of class, the friends I made are still some of my best. We'd punt on the Thames, go to rowing races, explore the historic bars and coffee shops, and go on day trips whenever we could.

If you are looking for a cheaper way to study abroad at Oxford, look into their Visiting Student Programme. You can apply directly to the university and save on the program fee. I'd go back and do that if I could.

Alexandra
Burlington, VT
University of Oxford

St. Catherine's College, Oxford

Obviously, studying at Oxford was academically rigorous. This isn't going to be your typical study abroad experience! While many of my peers refunded from their study abroad experiences with stories of their ABUNDANT free time, I came back with a bag filled with essays and a mind filled with knowledge. Through Arcadia, I experienced an authentic Oxford education-- I lived on campus with other students, studies in the Radcliffe Camera, and drank at the local historic pubs that all became familiar. Oxford, itself, is absolutely breathtaking and walking to and from lectures was like walking through history. You will be held to the same standards as the matriculated students, but if you have a sense of discipline, you'll be able to work during the days and have your evenings and weekends free to socialize and travel. The program provided a wonderful orientation in London. Though I wish we had had more contact throughout my stay, they were very responsive and supportive whenever I reached out to them. If you're thinking of traveling abroad and you want to challenge and surprise yourself, there is no better place than the "city of dreaming spires." Good luck!

I wish I had had more information on the tutorial system of Oxford as well as the library system. Acclimating to the academics took up precious time and energy and a quick guide could have benefitted me significantly.

Bailey
Duke University

Arcadia Oxford

My experience at Arcadia's Oxford program refined me as a scholar and grew me as an individual. I was placed in Hertford College, conveniently located next to the main library (Radcliffe Camera), one of the most iconic sights at the university. My peers at Hertford were incredibly welcoming. I relished getting to know new friends in the dining hall, where we ate all our meals, and on the rowing team, which I joined and raced with in the Summer VIIIs Regatta in May. The city is beautiful, and I felt I had so much mental space, so much time to linger over a tea in a corner cafe, or walk through Christ Church Meadow. I blogged a lot and even read for fun. There was certainly room to travel on the weekends and on the six-week Easter Vacation between Hilary and Trinity terms, for which I backpacked through the continent.

As far as scholarship--I study Renaissance Literature, and was paired with two expert professors for my one-on-one tutorials. My tutors invested in me and challenged me to engage with a wider range of texts, pushing me to generate a body of scholarship I was truly proud of. The lectures at the English Faculty truly impressed, and you can go to as many or as few as you like--your schedule is flexible to your commitments, energy, and work load. The resources in the Bodleian Library are unparalleled (I got to handle a First Folio!) and the live theatre in London and Stratford was just a train ride away. I took much of this research back to my home university to incorporate with my senior thesis, and I can honestly say that the work done in Oxford is what has convinced me I can make it in an English PhD.

As for the staff of Arcadia, they were always there to support us through the tribulations of adapting to life in a new place. The orientation in London before the beginning of term introduced me to British culture and eased the transition to a foreign university and city. They touched base with us throughout the semester, and made sure we always had a network of support. They facilitate taking advantage of your time in Oxford to the fullest extent.

I wish there were more excursions to see other parts of England (e.g. Bath, Liverpool, Brighton) as a group. That would have helped us bond more as a cohort and would have allowed us to get to know the country better.

Students from colleges and universities throughout the U.S. study abroad with Arcadia University through The College of Global Studies, the first college of its kind in the U.S. With over 130 programs in 12 countries, we offer a wide range of programs in many study