Summer School at the University of Sussex

Come to the University of Sussex for a summer school experience with a twist and discover why we're considered one of the top-ranked universities in the world!

Sussex's undergraduate summer school offers over 30 modules across several schools of study including Business, English, and Physics. You'll enjoy an exceptional study abroad experience through our innovative research-led teaching, a remarkable location, and a series of campus and social events, local activities and excursions.

Sussex is just nine minutes by train from the vibrant seaside city of Brighton & Hove, one of the UK's most loved cities, while London is only an hour away by train so you can experience our capital for the evening or weekend (without the high cost of living there). We're also 30 minutes away from Gatwick, one of Europe's largest airports, serving over 90 countries and 200 destinations including Barcelona, Dublin, Amsterdam, Madrid, and Copenhagen.

• Constantly ranked among the top universities in the world. The Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2020 placed Sussex 146th in the world overall, and 22nd most international University in the world.
  • Sussex is ranked in the top 10 universities in the UK for Brighton's diverse nightlife (pubs, clubs and music venues) and political activities.
  • Over 30 top-tier modules to choose from- designed, delivered and taught by faculty. Sussex is known for its Humanities and Social Sciences field, with its Development Studies program being placed at number 1 globally in the QS World University Ranking.
  • Sussex campus is surrounded by the South Downs National Park, so you can step off campus and explore the hills and woodlands.

Apply now for our Summer School by the sea!

Choose from over 30 modules and gain credits this summer at the University of Sussex, ranked in the world's top 150 (The Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2019).

Popular Programs

Join our Physics Undergraduate Summer School, gaining expert knowledge in the field and improving your academic prospects. Our Physics Undergraduate Summer School teaches two modules over the summer, providing a firm foundation in physical concepts and principles through practical laboratory experiments and analysis. Each module carries 15 credits and lasts for four weeks (one session).

Alyssa

Summer Physics 2019

Taking Physics abroad was one of the best experiences of my life. I was able to finish a years worth of curriculum, as well as travel the world. The 4 day academic schedule made it a lot easier to travel during the weekends. All of the required academic materials are provided, and the tests are fair. The Professors and Assistant Teachers were very good at reinforcing concepts and providing us with the academic support that we needed. There are tons of opportunities for office hours that the professors offer daily. Brighton the town closest to the University of Sussex was very charming and is a place that I would love to travel back there again in the future. Brighton has a good mix of shopping and nightlife, a great way to escape from the stressors of the academic rigor of the program.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I would go out more often into Brighton. Although I went out to the town quite frequently, I do not feel like I experienced it in its entirety.
Response from University of Sussex

Thanks for your review Alyssa! Great to hear you felt supporting by Physics professors and assistant teachers throughout the summer.
We hope you'll considering visiting Brighton again, and if you do, please do pop-in to say hello!

Amanda

Best Program Out There

This was my first time studying abroad, and it left a lasting impression on me! The Uni of Sussex is extremely qualified and knowledgeable, and ready to support every student who partakes in this program. I grew a lot as a person, met new friends, and learned a lot in terms of academics and in terms of who I am as a person. Very well organized, exciting, and generally amazing program. I was extremely scared to be the only one from my school coming on this program, but quickly found a group of friends through the schools planned social activities. The campus and surrounding town of Brighton are beautiful, and have changed my perspective on what the perfect town looks like (It's Brighton). I thoroughly enjoyed exploring and learning and Sussex, and wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

More time off from the course and more time to explore on ourselves.
Response from University of Sussex

Thanks for your review Amanda! We're delighted to hear that your summe with us left a lasting impression - that's always the aim :)!
It's great to hear that although studying abroad was daunting at first, you soon settled in through campus and social activities. We hope you'll consider visiting again in the future!

Barbora

Home away from home

It was my second time staying in Brighton and once again it was an amazing time. The support team is the best and there is always so much to do!
If I ever thought about moving away from my country, I would go to Brighton!

The Summer School program is really good. Accommodation for students is new and very comfortable. You share a flat with 5 other students but each has a private room. The campus is really nice and surrounded by national park. All you need (shops, post office, bars) you can find on campus.

The buddy program is really helpful. Buddies help you to get around both the campus and the city. You can join some societies.

The campus is close to the city center. Brighton is beautiful. There are a lot of things to do and amazing restaurants and bars.

The process of registration for the modules and some of the lectures.
Response from University of Sussex

Thank you for your review Barbora! It was great welcoming you back onto campus - we're so pleased to hear you settled back into life at Sussex.
It's great to hear you enjoyed the facilities on campus and found getting to Brighton so easy so you could explore in your free time.

The next time you return to Brighton, please do pop onto campus and say hello!

KaVonna

My Sussex Experience!

For my first time out of country, I couldn't have chosen a better study abroad college program. Sussex gave me so much experience as a student and as an explorer. I was able to journey to so many different places through the Sussex trips. University of Sussex is right near Brighton which gave us as students access to such a beautiful city and town. I took Psychology courses for the Summer. The Tutors on campus were so kind, helpful, and understanding of the differences in education that we were experiencing. I challenged myself academically through research papers. I was also able to work in a smaller class setting and have discussion about the topics of our course. I made many connections during the program through class and social gatherings. My entire Sussex experience was amazing!

The dining hall food could use an edit. It was very unchanging for 8 weeks.
Response from University of Sussex

"Sussex gave me so much experience as a student and as an explorer" - this is what we aspire to offer every summer. We're so pleased to hear that Sussex gave you the opportunity to be challenged and work collaboratively in your Psychology classes and still explore the local area in your free time!

Thanks for your suggestion for the dining experience, please do reach out to us and we'll be happy to pass your suggestions onto our catering team.

On campus, we have 8 eateries where you can enjoy different cuisines, the cooperative shop and of course the kitchen in your East Slope accommodation - we recommend making a traditional Sunday Roast with your new flatmates! Brighton is home to tonnes of restaurants and cafe's throughout the city, many offering student deals and of course, you can't go to Brighton without trying fish and chips on the seafront!

Thank you for leaving your review KaVonna!

Nikita

Sussex Summer Physics

I definitely recommend this program. It is a lot of work, but there is a lot of support at this university. The town of Brighton is so much fun, and it was truly a once in a lifetime experience. The rooms were also very nice and clean, and there was plenty of space. As long as you put in work during the week, you can have fun and explore on the weekends while still doing well in the program. The lounge area had ping pong and pool, which was a great way to relax. When I would get tired of dining hall food, the co-op had pretty good meals. The professors were very good lecturers and helpful outside of class as well. The ATs clearly cared and put in a lot of work by holding review sesssions and helping us during workshops. Overall, this was an incredible experience.

Food was sometimes difficult as a vegetarian, but I was always able to make it work.
Response from University of Sussex

Thank you for your review Nikita. It's great to hear that you enjoyed exploring Brighton alongside your studies - we're lucky to have such a vibrant city right on our doorstep!

We're pleased to hear you were supported by Professors and ATs throughout your lectures and outside of class. The format of the Physics programme means that lots of review sessions, office hours and forums are put in place to provide additional support where needed.

Thank you for your suggestion on improving the vegetarian options - we'll be sure to pass this onto our University catering team! Brighton is well known for it's variety of Vegetarian and Vegan restaurants, some of our favourites include: Bok Shop, Happy Maki, Terre à Terre. There is also an app called 'Happy Cow' that lists vegetarian and vegan foods in the local area.

Zikora

Physics

During my study abroad, I studied Physics. It was a lot of information and a very dense course given it was a year worth in just one summer. Besides studying, I was able to visit a lot of places. My only negative comment was the food offered. Maybe it’s just because I am from USA, but the food was very bland and needed a lot more seasoning. A change in the menu would also be nice instead of the same items always. Besides that, the ATs were more than willing to help and allowed us to achieve a good grade. I found the living situation to be quite homey. We had our rooms and bathrooms cleaned every week which was completely unexpected but nice. You were provided a towel and some laundry detergent. The laundry facilities were by the office and the mailboxes too.

Response from University of Sussex

"ATs were more than willing to help and allowed us to achieve a good grade" - thanks for your review Zikora, it's great to hear that you were suppprted during the Physics programme.

We're pleased that you found our new accommodation 'homey' and the facilties and service provided went above your expectations!

Thank you for your suggestions on the catering service you received, we'll be sure to pass your feedback onto our catering team. We'd welcome any menu suggestions, so please do feel free to contact us!

Iñigo

Summer course in Global Economic Issues

Studying abroad gave me the opportunity to met new people and new cultures. I took the Economic course at the University of Sussex and it was quite satisfying. The level of teaching was really high and the resources they used were up to the expectations. They were very useful. I also think that the facilities and the commodities were pretty good. But what I enjoyed the most was the people I met and the friends that I made.
It is also important to mention how incredible was the library. It had thousands of books and is really comfortable. Another good aspect about the University of Sussex is the huge campus they have. It is sorrounded by nature and a lovely environment. It was a great Experience and an incredible trip. It has changed my life.

In my opinion, the trips that the summer programe offer were not very attractive. If I were in their position I would definetely offer more excursions and trips.
Response from University of Sussex

Thanks for your review Iñigo! It's fantastic to hear the level of teaching on the Econimics course was high, and met your expectations. We expanded our library this year, so it's great to hear you had a positive experience.

Thank you for your feedback on the trips offered - we have redeveloped our programme for 2020, and we will be offering daily on-campus social events and sports programmes, plus free weekly trips to Brighton and local tourist destinations, such as the neighbouring town of Lewes.
We always like hearing suggestions, so please feel free to contact us with any ideas!