Study Abroad Direct Enroll Semester/Year at University of Sussex, Brighton

Study Abroad at the University of Sussex

The University of Sussex is one of the United Kingdom's top universities and a world-renowned higher-education institution, consistently ranked among the best universities around the world and in the UK top 20.

Sussex provides one of the largest study abroad programs in the UK - boasting more than 1,000 modules across almost 30 major areas.

Only one hour from central London and 30 minutes from London Gatwick international airport, Brighton is a sunny seaside city on the South Coast of England, famous for its festival and arts scene, and having a dynamic, cosmopolitan and vibrant sense of inclusivity. Brighton has been ranked as one of the world's top 10 beach cities (Lonely Planet) and the happiest place to live in the UK (CV Library).

Outside of the excellent academia, at Sussex you can explore any of 200 societies, cafés, bars, and events on campus, visit the famous Brighton beach and pier or take in the shopping centers and festivals.

• Constantly ranked among the top universities in the world. The Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2020 placed Sussex 146th in the world overall, 54th for Social Sciences, 60th for Business, 86th for Psychology and 89th for Law.
  • Sussex is ranked in the top 10 universities in the UK for Brighton's diverse nightlife (pubs, clubs and music venues) and political activities.
  • Over 1,000 top-tier study modules to choose from - Sussex is known for its Humanities and Social Sciences field, with its Development Studies program being placed at number 1 globally in the QS World University Ranking.

Apply now for our Summer School by the sea!

Choose from over 30 modules and gain credits this summer at the University of Sussex, ranked in the world's top 150 (The Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2019).

Popular Programs

Ranked 11th for Psychology (Complete University Guide 2018) in the United Kingdom, the University of Sussex also has one of the country's largest schools of Psychology, with almost 40 modules on offer for direct enroll students.

The School has approximately 600 m2 of laboratory space, well equipped to support the needs of research groups, and an extensive range of general facilities, including 18 cubicles (for individual testing) and a large room used for the simultaneous testing of groups.

Sussex's School of Global Studies offers over 60 modules for direct enroll students in the world-ranked disciplines of Development (1st globally - above Harvard and Oxford) and IR (world's top 100).

The School addresses the most pressing global issues of our time – global inequalities and justice, climate/environmental change, war and peace, global health and finance crises, intolerance and discrimination, with a focus on novel finding solutions to the world’s intractable problems.

Hannah

My year at the University of Sussex

I have absolutely loved my year at the University of Sussex. I have loved the people and culture, I have loved the classes at uni, and I have loved student life. Brighton is such a vibrant student city, nicknamed "London by sea", Brighton offers both bustling city days- whether you're getting lost in the laines, or down by the pier, or vintage shopping; and non-stop nightlife-with student offers in different clubs for every night of the week.
In terms of the university's exchange program, I felt like the study abroad team had really made an effort to make sure that there was lots of events (especially during the first week of term) to encourage the international students to mingle and make friends. There was definitely a balance between integrating into British culture (with quiz nights, food events, city tours, London trips, etc.) and cultivating the diversity of the international student culture through different socials.
I also think the 'buddy scheme', which links new students to current students, is a good way to combat the loneliness that many students face when they first move to uni.
Coming from Australia, there wasn't too much of a cultural shock, although I was slightly taken aback by the rudeness of some of my tutors- I have since been told this is just British culture, and not to take it personally (although I would recommend that some of the uni staff be a little friendlier... especially for those students who are trying to work out what's what).
The only other thing I struggled with was working out how to pick classes, sometimes the systems can be a little more confusing than I think they need to be- but once I got sorted and settled, there were no issues.
All in all, it has been the time of my life :)

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I would move onto campus straight away because on-campus living is much more fun! It's very convenient, but it also makes you more social, which is always a good thing!
Response from University of Sussex

Thanks Hannah for providing such a great review of your time at Sussex! We hope to see you back in Brighton sometime!

Diana

Autumn 2019 at Sussex

It was a great experience to go and live in Brighton. My English has really improved and I have made friends from all over the world during my stay here. All of the teachers, tutors, lecturers etc were nice and wanted the students to learn beyond just the grades on the exams. Some of my days were too long with lectures around 9am and then at 7pm, I lived in private housing in eastern Brighton so I had to stay at campus all day which some days were quite tiring. Overall I am happy with living abroad!

Response from University of Sussex

Thanks Diana!
So great to hear that your language skills improved while you were here and that you had a great time.
Thanks for the feedback too!

Lenka

Erasmus+ at the Sussex University

I really liked my study exchange in Brighton. The campus is great and there is something going on all the time. I enjoyed riding bike to the uni and it was fun. The courses are good quality and the teachers I had were helpful. I wish the university would provide cheaper and more convenient accommodation for the exchange students. There are many many international students so the uni is truly multicultural.

I created a web with few tips for future Exchange Students! :)

Review edited for clarity by members of the Go Overseas content team.

Response from University of Sussex

Thank you Lenka for your great review! So good to know you had a good time in Brighton and at Sussex.

Jessie

Fun in Brighton!

Brighton was an amazing place to both live and study. I have met some amazing people on my adventure to the UK and I am so glad I came. The university is filled with tonnes of fun activities and there's never a dull moment!

The teachers at Sussex Uni are supportive and engaging, and are particularly used to having international students in their classes - so you always have someone to talk to and support you.

The contact hours at uni are less than my home university in Adelaide, Australia - which is great for an exchange student as they are able to maximize their time exploring the lanes or spending time with all the lovely people in Sussex. I would suggest choosing subjects that have tutorials or workshops, however, as they can greatly increase your interaction with other students and therefore friendships you make.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I would get out and enjoy the programs and activities that the uni has to offer - there are a lot! The cold weather can maybe a deterrent, so I may have come back for the Summer instead :)
Response from University of Sussex

Great to read your review, Jessie - thanks for taking the time to write it!
It's so great to hear what a good time you had in Brighton and at Sussex!

Andrea
No, I don't recommend this program

Horrible Accommodations

After living in the Langford’s Hotel for nearly three months, I can certainly state that students should not be living here. It is simply unacceptable the conditions that we live in. We have worked to try to have our concerns addressed, but nothing has been done. The staff have been rude to us, our rooms are not as described in the housing contract, the heating breaks, items throughout the hotel break all the time, the WiFi doesn’t work in many places, there is mold in many rooms… the list goes on. The following is a list of things that all or many of the residents living here have experienced at the hotel.
Complaints about Langford’s Hotel
· Dishes never get cleaned
· Kitchen is always dirty
· Sinks are always full and gross
· Fridges break/freeze items
· Showers constantly break
· Heating is consistently broken (and “fixed” until it breaks again)
· Staff are rude
o Each time we complain or report a maintenance issue, they are extremely rude and condescending
· Too expensive (especially for a place that constantly has issues
· Rooms not as described in the housing contract
o We were told that every room would have a desk and chair for each person and clothing storage
· Washing machines are too expensive and often break
o Dryer also barely works and clothes come out wet
· Black mold in rooms
o Many in bathrooms/showers and by the windows
I do not believe that this accommodation should be given to students coming abroad. I have enjoyed my time at Sussex and love Brighton, but the housing situation sticks out like a sore thumb. In the future, you should not use Langford’s Hotel as a place to accommodate students. Not only is it unacceptable, but it reflects badly on the university to have students staying in these conditions.

The accommodations provided by the university are unacceptable. Furthermore, the study abroad office provides no help whatsoever and has not taken into consideration any of the complaints provided by 60 students that live in my accommodations. Until the university takes responsibility for failure to provide suitable housing or assistance, I would not recommend this program to other students.
Response from University of Sussex

Thanks for providing your feedback, Andrea.
I'm sorry to read about your experience staying at Langfords. My team in Sussex Abroad hasn't heard about your particular experience, but can assure you we would have looked to proactively assist had we done so. We have heard about couple of other negative reports of some facilities, and are placing our incoming exchange and study abroad students in other accommodation for the coming intake.
I hope your experience at Sussex was still a good one, despite you not being happy with the housing.

Mastura

Study Abroad Direct Enrol Semester/Year

Joining Student Exchange is going to be the best experience ever throughout my Degree studies. I have this golden opportunity and I am so proud of myself that I grab it in the first place. Being someone that has never been staying away from family has definitely enable me to go out from my very comfort zone. Nevertheless, not everyday is rainbow here, some of the modules that I have taken are quite difficult for me and I kind of struggle to arrange time because since I got here, I travel a lot especially in Europe. Despite from that, I love Sussex University especially the environment here. It is very different from my home university that is located in the middle of busy city. I find it calm to study here and the study system is even better. Here in Sussex, I got opportunities to earn some cash while studying by joining research study. I have joined as much study as I could and beyond my expectation, I have earned myself almost £75 which was very worth it. For almost 4 months I have been here, I would say that I really enjoy being here and I would encourage my juniors in my home university to grab this opportunity. This experience has change my perception somehow as it makes me more open minded to travel so that I know what the other side of the world from where I live is like.

Free travel all around UK for exchange students so that people like us could explore more.
Response from University of Sussex

Thanks Mastura for your review!
It sounds like you had just an amazing experience, which we're so pleased to hear.

Elizabeth

Live on campus

I lived off campus with my boyfriend. As an exchange student, it was very difficult for me to make friends with other exchange students because everyone else lived on campus. However, I loved where I lived. I could walk to 2 grocery stores and that made a huge difference. Brighton is a lovely city and I love the people. Coming from America, I have to admit the classes were difficult. I am a straight A student and I got all Cs at Sussex. My degree program is bioinformatics and for some reason I didn’t get accepted into the only class relevant to me, bioinformatics. That was a bit upsetting but I filled some elective credits. I learned a whole lot, but it was frustrating to be in classes of people who were studying that for their degree and I had no prior knowledge.

Hanna

Semester Abroad at the University of Sussex

Over all I'm happy with my experience at the University of Sussex. The modules that I've been taking have all been very interesting and the lecturers engaging. I had some struggles while working on my time table, as many of my lectures clashed. The staff was very helpful in this process and I managed to change some of my modules after arriving on campus. Academically, I feel that this term has been very rewarding.

I found the social scene a bit difficult to get a grip of. I took four modules that were not connected to the same program, which meant that I didn't have any classmates that were in more than one of my classes. This made it more difficult to get to know people, but there are a lot of different societies on campus and that is good for socialising.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I would also get a job outside of uni, to become more integrated in society. As I feel that my choice of modules were not optimal for me to socialise and have a consistency in meeting the same people for several hours a week, I think that this would have been a good complement to my studies.
Response from University of Sussex

Thanks Hanna for taking the time to write this review!
It's great to hear you found your modules interesting and engaging.