Study Abroad Direct Enroll Semester/Year at University of Sussex, Brighton

The University of Sussex is one of the United Kingdom's top universities and a world-renowned higher-education institution, consistently ranked among the best universities around the world and in the UK top 20.

Sussex provides one of the largest study abroad programs in the UK - boasting more than 1,000 modules across almost 30 major areas.

Only one hour from central London and 30 minutes from London Gatwick international airport, Brighton is a sunny seaside city on the South Coast of England, famous for its festival and arts scene, and having a dynamic, cosmopolitan and vibrant sense of inclusivity. Brighton has been ranked as one of the world's top 10 beach cities (Lonely Planet) and the happiest place to live in the UK (CV Library).

Outside of the excellent academia, at Sussex you can explore any of 200 societies, cafés, bars, and events on campus, visit the famous Brighton beach and pier or take in the shopping centers and festivals.

• Constantly ranked among the top universities in the world. The Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2020 placed Sussex 146th in the world overall, 54th for Social Sciences, 60th for Business, 86th for Psychology and 89th for Law.
  • Sussex is ranked in the top 10 universities in the UK for Brighton's diverse nightlife (pubs, clubs and music venues) and political activities.
  • Over 1,000 top-tier study modules to choose from - Sussex is known for its Humanities and Social Sciences field, with its Development Studies program being placed at number 1 globally in the QS World University Ranking.

Visit our Covid-19 advice for applicant hub and see how we're supporting our community.

See how the University of Sussex is supporting efforts to address the current and future challenges of the coronavirus pandemic. Our Covid-19 advice for applicants hub features latest research, information for all applicants and answers to common questions.

Popular Programs

Students on bench on campus

Ranked 11th for Psychology (Complete University Guide 2018) in the United Kingdom, the University of Sussex also has one of the country's largest schools of Psychology, with almost 40 modules on offer for direct enroll students.

The School has approximately 600 m2 of laboratory space, well equipped to support the needs of research groups, and an extensive range of general facilities, including 18 cubicles (for individual testing) and a large room used for the simultaneous testing of groups.

Students in campus building

Sussex's School of Global Studies offers over 60 modules for direct enroll students in the world-ranked disciplines of Development (1st globally - above Harvard and Oxford) and IR (world's top 100).

The School addresses the most pressing global issues of our time – global inequalities and justice, climate/environmental change, war and peace, global health and finance crises, intolerance and discrimination, with a focus on novel finding solutions to the world’s intractable problems.

Sarah

Semester Abroad

Overall, I really liked studying at University of Sussex. Brighton is beautiful, it was easy to get around, and there was lots to do in the area. I enjoyed my classes but wasn't overwhelmed by them. The worst part was definitely housing. I was led to believe I would be living in on-campus housing, but it turns out that semester-long study abroad students live in off-campus housing. We ended up living in a hotel with tiny rooms and one dirty kitchen. Fortunately we were close to the beach and it was easy to get into the city center from our housing. The commute to school was long, but my course schedule only had me on campus 3 days a week, so it wasn't too bad.

What was your funniest moment?
A seagull stole a chocolate bar right from my hand!
Response from University of Sussex

Thanks for your review Sarah! It's great to hear that you enjoyed the local activities in the area. Housing is currently being developed on-campus, and the University is working to provide more new and modern housing options for future years.
Thanks again!

Alexandria

I wish I could study abroad here again!

Studying abroad at University of Sussex was definitely the highlight of my college career. I lived in the center of the city right on the beach and loved every minute of it. There were amazing restaurants, pubs, and people. I still talk to the friends I met through the exchange program from when I attended in 2018. The campus is beautiful and the professors were friendly and helpful. My best friend and I STILL talk about the amazing memories we made in Brighton and even visited this past spring because we missed it so much. Brighton is really a one of a kind city with such a welcoming feeling. You can find a cute cafe to study at every corner and I loved going on morning runs down to the pier by the beach. I enjoyed how walkable the city was and how quickly you could jump on the bus to go anywhere. If I could do this exchange program again I would in a heartbeat!

My advice would be to enjoy every moment you have in Brighton and to take risks to do things you usually wouldn't. I pushed myself out of my comfort zone and went to cafes by myself and explored the city on my own. I would also say meet new people and don't be afraid to go up to someone new. I also would encourage you to try a new restaurant, pub, or cafe frequently to really see what Brighton has to offer. Also, a picnic at the pavilion or on the beach is a must!
Response from University of Sussex

Thank you for your review of Sussex, Alexandria! And fantastic photos!

Natalia

Cherished Memory

Studying at the University of Sussex is a cherished memory. If I could do it again, I would. I found all the staff members to be very helpful and I enjoyed my classes. The campus itself is picturesque. There was never a shortage of things to do on campus and traveling to Brighton and London was easy. Joining the Buddy Scheme is a great idea because you make friends while exploring your new home. Being friends with my flatmates made my experience so much better and we still video chat on WhatsApp.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
My flatmates and I spent the day exploring London for my birthday and ended up finding Minalima, the company that created all the graphics for the Harry Potter and Fantastic Beasts series.
Response from University of Sussex

Thanks Natalia for this review! It sounds like you did a great range of things while you were studying abroad here!!

Hala

Brighton is a very bright city Indeed

My experience at the University of Sussex was both fun and emancipating. It allowed me to grow both academically and personally. I gained more knowledge and I was able to improve my English language skills. I also made a lot of friends during my stay in Brighton, which stimulated the cultural exchange between students. The university offers all the necessary support for exchange students, the courses were very interesting and the overall teaching was very flexible. As for the city, I would recommend it to anyone looking for a fun experience abroad. The people are very welcoming and tolerant. It's a bit sunnier than the rest of England and the beach makes it even more pleasant.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I would have traveled more around the United Kingdom and Europe.
Response from University of Sussex

Thanks Hala for your review! We really appreciate it.

Cecilia

A Short but Sweet 2 Months

Although I didn't know what to expect coming to Brighton, this wonderful city really has it all. From amazing professors and a wonderful on campus life to a fun night scene and scenic shops by the beach, I couldn't have asked for a better place to study abroad. Everything was a train ride away in regards to the major airports, London, and other cities. As a young college student who loves eating good food and having fun at night, this was the most perfect place to have visited for my first time in Europe. Although COVID caused all of us to return home, these two months were amazing as I met so many cool people, and I vow to return one day.

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
The very first day was very gloomy and cold, in contrary to what I'm used to in California. However, the weather grew on me and Brighton's sunny days were amazing as we hiked Seven Sisters and even the national park right next to our dorms. Although I would at times ponder on attending a university in London or Ireland instead, Brighton's diverse and extremely open/accepting environment made me feel at home immediately.
Response from University of Sussex

Thanks for this review, Cecilia! So great to read how much you enjoyed Brighton.

Sofia

The best experience of my life

First of all the city: London is 45minutes away and Brighton is probably the most charming place i've never been to. People are from everywhere in the world, they are open minded, calm and helpful and they make you feel home since day one. Also, you really feel the "beach front" mood, with many night clubs and activities for Erasmus students!

Second, the Uni: Sussex University has an incredible campus, with sophisticated tools and with a huge library which is open 24h/24h. You have a lot of facilities, a supermarket in it, a lot of sports and housing facilities.

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
I was living with another student with a British family and during a weekend where I wasn't there, they had an argument. When I came back, the landlord told me that we have a week to figure out where to go because she no longer wants to rent the room and I was in the middle on an exam session. I emailed the University to see if there was a room left at the campus but as 6 month Erasmus + students we didn't have the right to get a place there. I finally found a room with other Students in Hove but then, the last landlord didn't want to give us our Guarantee fees and I had to call the police and make a report. At the end of that, I just chose to forget about it and enjoy my stay in Brighton because I realized that all other people were different and kind.
Response from University of Sussex

Thanks for your review, Sofia!! And it sounds like your turned your nerve-racking moment into a positive ultimately.
So glad you had a great time at Sussex.

Blanca

Home away from home.

The experience of spending one entire year at the University of Sussex was without a doubt the best experience of my life. Brighton is a small city but one that would become like anyone’s home during the stay. The University of Sussex provides you with great courses as well as an exceptional student environment in which one can make friends from all over the world. I think this experience is great for anyone that would like to travel away from home and get to know a bit another culture, country and having all the fun at the same time.

Response from University of Sussex

It's so nice to read your review, Blanca. Thanks!

Jessica

The Best Year of My Life

I am so happy and grateful for my year at Sussex in 2016/17. I was continuing my Bachelor in English Studies there and had the best time. I loved the location of the campus and studying and living in this beautiful nature of Stamner Park. Unfortunately the housing situation in Park Village was rather poor and noisy, dirty and we have had rats in the house at several times throughout my stay. Yet, the housing was probably the only negative about my stay. I loved the community and the staff was extremely helpful at all times. No matter if I was seeking for help for job applications, courses, my health or finance, I have always had someone extremely competent to talk to and despite being on my own in a foreign country, I never felt alone or helpless. My favourite part about my stay were the societies of Sussex. I joined Show Choir and I was lucky enough to make friends for live there, but also in my courses, throughout the buddy scheme and the many events for international students. Most importantly, I completely fell in love with Brighton as a city and I have been returning for a visit at least once a year ever since.

Make the most out of your time and try to see as much as possible and do not take your Studies TOO seriously. We even got this piece of advice from our professors - travel, see things, do things. You only have a certain amount of time there, so be sure to enjoy it to the fullest.
Response from University of Sussex

So great to read your review, Jessica!! It's so nice that these several years later you have such fond reflection of your time with us. Housing is something the University has worked on a lot, and with more new and modern housing opening up in recent years and years to come.