Study Abroad Direct Enroll Semester/Year at University of Sussex, Brighton

Study Abroad at the University of Sussex

The University of Sussex is one of the United Kingdom's top universities and a world-renowned higher-education institution, consistently ranked among the best universities around the world and in the UK top 20.

Sussex provides one of the largest study abroad programs in the UK - boasting more than 1,000 modules across almost 30 major areas.

Only one hour from central London and 30 minutes from London Gatwick international airport, Brighton is a sunny seaside city on the South Coast of England, famous for its festival and arts scene, and having a dynamic, cosmopolitan and vibrant sense of inclusivity. Brighton has been ranked as one of the world's top 10 beach cities (Lonely Planet) and the happiest place to live in the UK (CV Library).

Outside of the excellent academia, at Sussex you can explore any of 200 societies, cafés, bars, and events on campus, visit the famous Brighton beach and pier or take in the shopping centers and festivals.

• Constantly ranked among the top universities in the world. The Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2020 placed Sussex 146th in the world overall, 54th for Social Sciences, 60th for Business, 86th for Psychology and 89th for Law.
  • Sussex is ranked in the top 10 universities in the UK for Brighton's diverse nightlife (pubs, clubs and music venues) and political activities.
  • Over 1,000 top-tier study modules to choose from - Sussex is known for its Humanities and Social Sciences field, with its Development Studies program being placed at number 1 globally in the QS World University Ranking.

Apply now for our Summer School by the sea!

Choose from over 30 modules and gain credits this summer at the University of Sussex, ranked in the world's top 150 (The Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2019).

Popular Programs

Students on bench on campus

Ranked 11th for Psychology (Complete University Guide 2018) in the United Kingdom, the University of Sussex also has one of the country's largest schools of Psychology, with almost 40 modules on offer for direct enroll students.

The School has approximately 600 m2 of laboratory space, well equipped to support the needs of research groups, and an extensive range of general facilities, including 18 cubicles (for individual testing) and a large room used for the simultaneous testing of groups.

Students in campus building

Sussex's School of Global Studies offers over 60 modules for direct enroll students in the world-ranked disciplines of Development (1st globally - above Harvard and Oxford) and IR (world's top 100).

The School addresses the most pressing global issues of our time – global inequalities and justice, climate/environmental change, war and peace, global health and finance crises, intolerance and discrimination, with a focus on novel finding solutions to the world’s intractable problems.

Hannah

My year at the University of Sussex

I have absolutely loved my year at the University of Sussex. I have loved the people and culture, I have loved the classes at uni, and I have loved student life. Brighton is such a vibrant student city, nicknamed "London by sea", Brighton offers both bustling city days- whether you're getting lost in the laines, or down by the pier, or vintage shopping; and non-stop nightlife-with student offers in different clubs for every night of the week.
In terms of the university's exchange program, I felt like the study abroad team had really made an effort to make sure that there was lots of events (especially during the first week of term) to encourage the international students to mingle and make friends. There was definitely a balance between integrating into British culture (with quiz nights, food events, city tours, London trips, etc.) and cultivating the diversity of the international student culture through different socials.
I also think the 'buddy scheme', which links new students to current students, is a good way to combat the loneliness that many students face when they first move to uni.
Coming from Australia, there wasn't too much of a cultural shock, although I was slightly taken aback by the rudeness of some of my tutors- I have since been told this is just British culture, and not to take it personally (although I would recommend that some of the uni staff be a little friendlier... especially for those students who are trying to work out what's what).
The only other thing I struggled with was working out how to pick classes, sometimes the systems can be a little more confusing than I think they need to be- but once I got sorted and settled, there were no issues.
All in all, it has been the time of my life :)

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I would move onto campus straight away because on-campus living is much more fun! It's very convenient, but it also makes you more social, which is always a good thing!
Response from University of Sussex

Thanks Hannah for providing such a great review of your time at Sussex! We hope to see you back in Brighton sometime!

Diana

Autumn 2019 at Sussex

It was a great experience to go and live in Brighton. My English has really improved and I have made friends from all over the world during my stay here. All of the teachers, tutors, lecturers etc were nice and wanted the students to learn beyond just the grades on the exams. Some of my days were too long with lectures around 9am and then at 7pm, I lived in private housing in eastern Brighton so I had to stay at campus all day which some days were quite tiring. Overall I am happy with living abroad!

Response from University of Sussex

Thanks Diana!
So great to hear that your language skills improved while you were here and that you had a great time.
Thanks for the feedback too!

Lenka

Erasmus+ at the Sussex University

I really liked my study exchange in Brighton. The campus is great and there is something going on all the time. I enjoyed riding bike to the uni and it was fun. The courses are good quality and the teachers I had were helpful. I wish the university would provide cheaper and more convenient accommodation for the exchange students. There are many many international students so the uni is truly multicultural.

I created a web with few tips for future Exchange Students! :)

Review edited for clarity by members of the Go Overseas content team.

Response from University of Sussex

Thank you Lenka for your great review! So good to know you had a good time in Brighton and at Sussex.

Jessie

Fun in Brighton!

Brighton was an amazing place to both live and study. I have met some amazing people on my adventure to the UK and I am so glad I came. The university is filled with tonnes of fun activities and there's never a dull moment!

The teachers at Sussex Uni are supportive and engaging, and are particularly used to having international students in their classes - so you always have someone to talk to and support you.

The contact hours at uni are less than my home university in Adelaide, Australia - which is great for an exchange student as they are able to maximize their time exploring the lanes or spending time with all the lovely people in Sussex. I would suggest choosing subjects that have tutorials or workshops, however, as they can greatly increase your interaction with other students and therefore friendships you make.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I would get out and enjoy the programs and activities that the uni has to offer - there are a lot! The cold weather can maybe a deterrent, so I may have come back for the Summer instead :)
Response from University of Sussex

Great to read your review, Jessie - thanks for taking the time to write it!
It's so great to hear what a good time you had in Brighton and at Sussex!

Andrea
No, I don't recommend this program

Horrible Accommodations

After living in the Langford’s Hotel for nearly three months, I can certainly state that students should not be living here. It is simply unacceptable the conditions that we live in. We have worked to try to have our concerns addressed, but nothing has been done. The staff have been rude to us, our rooms are not as described in the housing contract, the heating breaks, items throughout the hotel break all the time, the WiFi doesn’t work in many places, there is mold in many rooms… the list goes on. The following is a list of things that all or many of the residents living here have experienced at the hotel.
Complaints about Langford’s Hotel
· Dishes never get cleaned
· Kitchen is always dirty
· Sinks are always full and gross
· Fridges break/freeze items
· Showers constantly break
· Heating is consistently broken (and “fixed” until it breaks again)
· Staff are rude
o Each time we complain or report a maintenance issue, they are extremely rude and condescending
· Too expensive (especially for a place that constantly has issues
· Rooms not as described in the housing contract
o We were told that every room would have a desk and chair for each person and clothing storage
· Washing machines are too expensive and often break
o Dryer also barely works and clothes come out wet
· Black mold in rooms
o Many in bathrooms/showers and by the windows
I do not believe that this accommodation should be given to students coming abroad. I have enjoyed my time at Sussex and love Brighton, but the housing situation sticks out like a sore thumb. In the future, you should not use Langford’s Hotel as a place to accommodate students. Not only is it unacceptable, but it reflects badly on the university to have students staying in these conditions.

The accommodations provided by the university are unacceptable. Furthermore, the study abroad office provides no help whatsoever and has not taken into consideration any of the complaints provided by 60 students that live in my accommodations. Until the university takes responsibility for failure to provide suitable housing or assistance, I would not recommend this program to other students.
Response from University of Sussex

Thanks for providing your feedback, Andrea.
I'm sorry to read about your experience staying at Langfords. My team in Sussex Abroad hasn't heard about your particular experience, but can assure you we would have looked to proactively assist had we done so. We have heard about couple of other negative reports of some facilities, and are placing our incoming exchange and study abroad students in other accommodation for the coming intake.
I hope your experience at Sussex was still a good one, despite you not being happy with the housing.

Mastura

Study Abroad Direct Enrol Semester/Year

Joining Student Exchange is going to be the best experience ever throughout my Degree studies. I have this golden opportunity and I am so proud of myself that I grab it in the first place. Being someone that has never been staying away from family has definitely enable me to go out from my very comfort zone. Nevertheless, not everyday is rainbow here, some of the modules that I have taken are quite difficult for me and I kind of struggle to arrange time because since I got here, I travel a lot especially in Europe. Despite from that, I love Sussex University especially the environment here. It is very different from my home university that is located in the middle of busy city. I find it calm to study here and the study system is even better. Here in Sussex, I got opportunities to earn some cash while studying by joining research study. I have joined as much study as I could and beyond my expectation, I have earned myself almost £75 which was very worth it. For almost 4 months I have been here, I would say that I really enjoy being here and I would encourage my juniors in my home university to grab this opportunity. This experience has change my perception somehow as it makes me more open minded to travel so that I know what the other side of the world from where I live is like.

Free travel all around UK for exchange students so that people like us could explore more.
Response from University of Sussex

Thanks Mastura for your review!
It sounds like you had just an amazing experience, which we're so pleased to hear.

Elizabeth

Live on campus

I lived off campus with my boyfriend. As an exchange student, it was very difficult for me to make friends with other exchange students because everyone else lived on campus. However, I loved where I lived. I could walk to 2 grocery stores and that made a huge difference. Brighton is a lovely city and I love the people. Coming from America, I have to admit the classes were difficult. I am a straight A student and I got all Cs at Sussex. My degree program is bioinformatics and for some reason I didn’t get accepted into the only class relevant to me, bioinformatics. That was a bit upsetting but I filled some elective credits. I learned a whole lot, but it was frustrating to be in classes of people who were studying that for their degree and I had no prior knowledge.

Hanna

Semester Abroad at the University of Sussex

Over all I'm happy with my experience at the University of Sussex. The modules that I've been taking have all been very interesting and the lecturers engaging. I had some struggles while working on my time table, as many of my lectures clashed. The staff was very helpful in this process and I managed to change some of my modules after arriving on campus. Academically, I feel that this term has been very rewarding.

I found the social scene a bit difficult to get a grip of. I took four modules that were not connected to the same program, which meant that I didn't have any classmates that were in more than one of my classes. This made it more difficult to get to know people, but there are a lot of different societies on campus and that is good for socialising.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I would also get a job outside of uni, to become more integrated in society. As I feel that my choice of modules were not optimal for me to socialise and have a consistency in meeting the same people for several hours a week, I think that this would have been a good complement to my studies.
Response from University of Sussex

Thanks Hanna for taking the time to write this review!
It's great to hear you found your modules interesting and engaging.

Eva

Unexpected

What surprised me most is how uni became one of the things I did not have to worry about at all (the coursework was easy and the teachers were nice), but instead I spent all my time worrying about making friends and not being lonely in my very small room. You really need to take the initiative, go out and make friends. My advice: go to as many freshers activities as you can! Go to any club, go discover Brighton with a group, do the campus tour. The people I met that way are the ones I am still in contact with, over a year later! And after freshers week is over try to stay in contact, and of course, JOIN the clubs you tried out in freshers week. What hit me hardest was coming home to an empty room after spending all day with friends or in class, and having to cook for 1, try to enjoy myself, watching another netfilx show. Luckily I ended up making friends with whom I could cook together and who felt the same way!

The program itself was done very well in my opinion. We were provided with housing, transport from the airport and a lot of meetings with other exchange students within the faculty and in general. I would have liked a Facebook group or another kind of group in which ALL exchange events were announced since many of the events were empty because people didn't know about them.
Response from University of Sussex

Thanks for your review, Eva!
It sounds like you have been very proactive in going out to make friends and the most of your experience, which is great for us to hear!
Thanks also for your improvement recommendation!

Emma

Review Exchange University of Sussex

My exchange has been a great experience! I was quite nervous the first day, but after a few hours I already felt comfortable. I live with 40 other exchange students in a hotel with a big kitchen and living and dining room. It is so much fun, since whenever you want to do something there is always somebody up for it. I can recommend everyone this experience! Even when you've already travelled and met a lot of different people from different countries, this experience will still be new and exciting because you now live with these people in everyday 'normal' circumstances instead of traveling. Brighton is also a very fun city with a huge amount of cute (vegan) cafes, pubs and clubs. There really is something for everybody! You'll love it here!

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
British people never seem to be cold. I'm from the Netherlands so I thought there would be almost no cultural differences, but when British people go out they just don't bring a coat. Girls often wear short dresses and I get cold just by looking at them.
Response from University of Sussex

Thanks Emma for taking the time to review Sussex!
I loved reading your 'most surprising' thing... It's quite true, isn't it! :-)

Roxanne

Review Exchange University of Sussex

My experience at the University of Sussex was lots of fun. The university is enormous and there are many facilities. The education level is quite relatable to Dutch universities. Especially for Global Studies, there are various events almost every day. These are interesting talks with professors and professionals which you can attend.
Brighton is a real student city and there are many social opportunities. These are also very much aligned with the Student Union of Sussex. The inhabitants of the city are largely student so there is something going on every night of the week.
I had my own accommodation as I didn't want to share a room with someone and rather lived in a regular house. This is something that is achievable if you spend enough time on it. The Facebook group of the university of very helpful for this and quite reliable as they check if you are a student at the university.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
The strictness of ID-checking with alcohol consumption. The UK is very strict about this. You need to bring your ID everywhere. Even if you look and are around 25, you need to show your ID.
Response from University of Sussex

Thanks Roxanne for this review!
It sounds like you really engaged with Brighton, which is awesome!

Yuna

Fantastic experience

I applied to Sussex because I wanna deepen my research in the field of international development. Through the exchange year, I met a lot of enthusiastic and great professors, tutors and students. Due to the linguistic barrier, sometimes it waa quite hard to catch up the lecture, but tutors are very kind to help me. Also, the location of the uni is perfect... close to the beautiful sea and just an hour away from London. As a student from abroad, I really enjoyed Brit culture. Additionaly, I had a chance to live with British flat mates, so I was able to learn a lot of things from them. Lastly, this is very important one, the staff members of international student support unit are very kind and always helpful. I just wanna thank them, because without there support, I couldn't make my exchange year much better!

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
Bonfire night! The air was quite chilly, but the bonfire was so so beautiful.
Response from University of Sussex

Thanks Yuna for your review - and rating Sussex as 10/10!!
It's so good to hear you had a great and engaging time here... And got to attend bonfire night!!

Evelyn

Amazing time in Brighton

I had such a great time studying at University of Sussex. The independence of living abroad on your own is such a refreshing experience, and having the ability to travel around Europe is an opportunity that should definitely be taken advantage of (budget allowing, of course). I come from the suburbs in Georgia, where public transportation and everything being in walking distance isn't really a thing. Living in Brighton was definitely a new experience, and I absolutely loved it. Academically, the University of Sussex was just right for a semester abroad. The courses do not have an excessive workload, but I still felt challenged with my coursework. The professors are willing to help, the campus environment is friendly, and the people you meet come from around the world, so you learn so much just from sitting down and talking to someone who came from the other side of the world than you.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I wish I would have done more traveling throughout the semester instead of cramming it in at the end. I definitely would have planned for more, since I don't know when I'll be able to come all this way again.
Response from University of Sussex

Thank you, Evelyn, for taking the time to review Sussex!
Georgia to Brighton is a big difference - you seem to have made the most of your time here, which is great to hear!

Huie Jaen

Great experience

University of Sussex is very welcoming to us as a foreign student and I can always discuss my problem with the academic advisor and lecturer here, they are really helpful and kind to me. Transport at Brighton is always very convenient to us, I bought a three month ticket and get cheaper with student price, we just need to install Brighton and Hove buses app and scan the QR code every time we board on the bus and we are ready to go to any where within the city. Since University of Sussex is a quite big campus, there are many bus stops in the campus, so no worry to walk from class to class, as you can board on bus to go to the bus stop nearby to your class. Another thing I like to praise is that the lecturers here are all very professional and responsible, they response quickly to any questions we had and willing to sacrifice their time to help us solve it, for example my economic lecture class recording had subtitles for it as many students said they’re not used to his slang. Overall, I would like to thanks Sussex to giving me such a happy and meaningful memories.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
Alcohol is sold in campus convenience store. Because back in my country, this is impossible to happen.
Response from University of Sussex

Thanks Huie Jaen for writing this review!
It sounds like you got very savvy with how to get around for less!
So great to hear you had such good experience with the lecturers here.

Katy

Review on Autumn Semester of University of Sussex

My exchange studies in the University of Sussex is extremely fulfilling and fun! The workload is not heavy yet I did learn a lot of practical skills in the school of media, film and music! The lecturers and tutors are very nice. There are plenty of holidays as well so that I had much time to travel around the United Kingdom and Europe. The only thing I am quite disappointed about is the housing. The school did provide off-campus accommodation for overseas exchange students (they do not provide on-campus ones for us), however, the hotel i was allocated is not quite student-friendly. I lived in a twin room in which I have to share only one table, one chair and one closet with my roommate. The kitchen of the hotel is not in good condition as well.

Better to find your own accommodation rather than those provided by the school.
Response from University of Sussex

Thank you, Katy, for this review of Sussex!
It's great to hear you got to travel to Europe during your time here...!
Thanks for your feedback, too, it's really important to hear this :-)