• England

Some Activities Classes
Oct 19, 2022
Jul 31, 2022
34 travelers are looking at this program

The University of Sussex is one of the United Kingdom's top universities and a world-renowned higher-education institution, consistently ranked among the best universities around the world and in the UK top 20.

Sussex provides one of the largest study abroad programs in the UK - boasting more than 1,000 modules across almost 30 major areas.

Only one hour from central London and 30 minutes from London Gatwick international airport, Brighton is a sunny seaside city on the South Coast of England, famous for its festival and arts scene, and having a dynamic, cosmopolitan and vibrant sense of inclusivity. ).

Outside of the excellent academia, at Sussex you can explore any of 200 societies, cafés, bars, and events on campus, visit the famous Brighton beach and pier or take in the shopping centers and festivals.

Program Highlights

• Constantly ranked among the top universities in the world. The Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2020 placed Sussex 146th in the world overall, 54th for Social Sciences, 60th for Business, 86th for Psychology and 89th for Law.
  • 'University of the Year for Student Retention' by The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2022.
  • Sussex is ranked in the top 10 universities in the UK for Brighton's diverse nightlife (pubs, clubs and music venues) and political activities.
  • Over 1,000 top-tier study modules to choose from - Sussex is known for its Humanities and Social Sciences field, with its Development Studies program being placed at number 1 globally in the QS World University Ranking.
  • City of Brighton ranked 1st in England for student happiness

Popular Programs

Students on bench on campus

Ranked 11th for Psychology (Complete University Guide 2018) in the United Kingdom, the University of Sussex also has one of the country's largest schools of Psychology, with almost 40 modules on offer for direct enroll students.

The School has approximately 600 m2 of laboratory space, well equipped to support the needs of research groups, and an extensive range of general facilities, including 18 cubicles (for individual testing) and a large room used for the simultaneous testing of groups.

Students in campus building

Sussex's School of Global Studies offers over 60 modules for direct enroll students in the world-ranked disciplines of Development (1st globally - above Harvard and Oxford) and IR (world's top 100).

The School addresses the most pressing global issues of our time – global inequalities and justice, climate/environmental change, war and peace, global health and finance crises, intolerance and discrimination, with a focus on novel finding solutions to the world’s intractable problems.

About University of Sussex

Year Founded:
1959
International Students:
5,000

The University of Sussex is a leading research-intensive university near Brighton. We have both an international and local outlook, with staff and students from more than 100 countries and frequent engagement in community activities and services. Sussex was the first of the new wave of UK universities founded in the 1960s, receiving its Royal Charter in 1961.

• 5 rating 65.71%
  • 4 rating 31.43%
  • 3 rating 2.86%
  • 2 rating 0%
  • 1 rating 0%
Andrea

My semester abroad at Sussex

Being able to study abroad in the midst of a global pandemic didn’t seem possible after many cancelled applications and I’m forever thankful we were given this opportunity despite everything.

The people of the University of Sussex (staff, teachers and students) make this an unforgettable experience and are there for you every step of the way. I really appreciated having professors from all over the world and meeting people from many different cultures in class, the language cafe or the events hosted by Sussex abroad.

Brighton is an amazing city to live in a a student and the University really makes sure you have all the resources available to have the best living experience.

Pros
  • Beautiful city
  • Lovely and open minded people
  • Excellent academic level
Cons
  • Weather
  • Seagulls haha
  • You won’t want to leave
Response from University of Sussex

It's really great to hear you enjoyed your time at Sussex.

Jesslyn

Study Abroad at University of Sussex

It was at first difficult to adjust to the academics, my home university grading criteria and Sussex’s is very different or at least I think it is. I didn't get grades that I expected at first but once I started getting feedbacks and discussing more with the tutors it was really helpful. I love how seminars are always interacting, at least for almost all of my class. I love how the students are not afraid to voice their opinions and how the tutors wouldn’t just shoot down ideas. They’ll accept the ideas even if it’s different from their own which I really appreciate and something I didn’t experience in my home university. I love that participation is not a requirement but optional which really makes it feel like it’s all up to us. I wasn’t particularly happy about the strikes because it really messes up some things but I like that the tutors take that into account when assigning assignments and teaching us the materials. Overall, it’s such an amazing experience, like a breath of fresh air.

Pros
  • The tutors who welcome opinions
  • The tutors who encouraged participation
  • The tutors who are very helpful when you needed help for your assignments
Cons
  • The strikes
Response from University of Sussex

Thank you for your review Jesslyn. Hope to see you back here one day!

Yiping

excellent exchange program

that was my first time going abroad, everything is new and exciting to me. I need to tackle some daily living and housing problems alone, and using a second language to study is also a huge challenge for me. Luckily, Sussex offers a lot of help to exchange and foreign students, including living and studying. They have some workshops to help foreign students to better learn in English, which is very helpful. Besides, all the students I met there are friendly, they helped me a lot and I made a lot of friends.

Response from University of Sussex

Great to hear that your enjoyed your time at Sussex!

Davide

Bye Sussex!

My year abroad at the University of Sussex has had an overall life-changing experience that I will carry in my heart for a lifetime. For starters, the quality of the teaching is undeniably high, and, most remarkably, very different from the methodology of my home university. I had the chance to bond with native English speakers and other exchange students from all around the globe, which veritably expanded my cultural views and career preferences.

The facilities offered to students are simply extrabiliant, with the library and the student centre being open 24h. I also subscribed to the gym (there are two on campus), which was a five-minute walk from where I lived.

Brighton and Hove have been an amazing setting, for my adventure. If you enjoy clubbing and nightlife at large, Brighton is your mecca. Moreover, walks in the wild were for me a matter of routine, as the University of Sussex is the only university in the UK to be located in a national park. Going to London was a one-hour train ride, allowing you to get the best of the city life without renouncing the quietness of the countryside, as well as the seaside.

Of course, my stay has also had some drawbacks, which I think the University should address in the future. Eat Central is way too pricey, and overall offers small variations in the menu proposed (I invariably had to go for the burrito). The cost of living, in general, is decidedly high and could be unaffordable for some students. On top of that, I wish that the study abroad office arranged more events for exchange students, especially at the kick-off of the second term.

However, these few downsides do not overshadow the time I had at Sussex, and I am at pains to go back for run back for a visit to see my mates and hang out where now feels like home

Pros
  • Great people
  • Location
  • Library and student centre
Cons
  • Eat Central and Co-op on campus (too expensive and little choice)
  • Bus fares (too expensive)
  • Lack of events for exchange students (especially second term)
Response from University of Sussex

Thank you for your review. It's great to hear that you enjoyed your time with us.

Georgie
No, I don't recommend this program

Exchange Semester at Sussex

Sussex is an incredible community, however the university itself massively fails it in this way. Built on a colonialist, capitalist and money-hungry leadership team, The University of Sussex does little to make it's exchange students' time easy or enjoyable. The welcome event consisted of drone shots of the pier with no substantial information about healthcare, academic or financial help. The learning style at the university was so very different and less supportive than my home uni. The SU is wonderful though!

Pros
  • Great Student Union with many opportunities for support and community building.
  • Cute campus with nice flowers
  • Brighton is a cool town
Cons
  • No support for academia, no policy for aggregate grades if ill or in berevement.
  • Exchange students are left with little to no information about healthcare, mental health support or how to function in the UK.
  • The University as an institution is all show and no substance.
Response from University of Sussex

Hi Georgie
Thanks for your review, and I'm really sorry that your experience didn't match your expectations. We like to learn from all feedback and make changes where necessary, so it's helpful to receive it.
We try not to duplicate too much information in our presentations that is best kept current on the University's Student Hub website, but we will review our content in our presentations to see how we can signpost this information better, as we agree that ensuring students know about the various student support services and facilities is essential.
Thanks again!

Cameron

Sussex Uni Straight Talk

My experience at Sussex University was absolutely delightful. Not only was the educational aspect very stimulating, it was also noticeably different than my university back home. The greater emphasis on collaboration and interaction between students was quite refreshing, as I believe that the more discussion and comparing of ideas regarding the subject matter is the key to understanding the material. Additionally, the social aspect of the university and of Brighton was unprecedented. The nightlife culture was like nothing I had ever seen, and it was very easy to make new friends around campus to enjoy these times with. I have made international friends that I will never forget and be sure to keep in contact with, for I travelled around Europe with them by my side. My time at Sussex, and in England in general, was undoubtedly the greatest experience of my life thus far.

Pros
  • The educational structure
  • The nightlife
  • The English people as a whole
Cons
  • I couldn't stay longer
Response from University of Sussex

Thanks so much – we’re glad you enjoyed your experience!

Blanca

My year abroad

My experience at theUniversity of Sussex was amazing. I’ve tried to make the most of my year abroad by making friends from all over the world, visiting a lot of different places and also learning about what i want to become in the future. The possibilites that the city of brighton gives you are many, from having a fun time with friends in the attractions of the pier to a cultural visit to the royal pavillion. I don’t have enough words to express how i’ve felt during this year and all what i’ve experienced. I’m so glad I chose University of Sussex and Brighton for my study abroad, I can’t wait to come back.

Pros
  • Atmosphere
  • Party
  • Beach
Cons
  • Prices
  • Weather
Response from University of Sussex

So glad you enjoyed your time at Sussex Blanca.

Jaclyn

Life at Sussex

I really liked going to the University of Sussex! The school and professors are great, and I loved the city of Brighton because it's so close to the Uni, and is a lovely seaside English town. I was only there for a semester, but still felt like a part of the school and of the community. The school had a lot of events from Study Abroad students, like language cafes, roller disco, pub quizzes, and much more. The student housing that I was in (East Slope) was a great building, and had lots of common areas.

Response from University of Sussex

Thank you for your review Jaclyn.