• England

University of Sussex
Bachelors Masters PhD.
Dormitory Host Family

Pricing

Autumn / Spring semester: £4,625 (EU) / £7,950 (Non-EU)

Full year: £9,250 (EU) / £15,900 (Non-EU)
What's Included
Some Activities Classes
Jan 19, 2022
Jan 30, 2022
26 travelers are looking at this program

The University of Sussex is one of the United Kingdom's top universities and a world-renowned higher-education institution, consistently ranked among the best universities around the world and in the UK top 20.

Sussex provides one of the largest study abroad programs in the UK - boasting more than 1,000 modules across almost 30 major areas.

Only one hour from central London and 30 minutes from London Gatwick international airport, Brighton is a sunny seaside city on the South Coast of England, famous for its festival and arts scene, and having a dynamic, cosmopolitan and vibrant sense of inclusivity. Brighton has been ranked as one of the world's top 10 beach cities (Lonely Planet) and the happiest place to live in the UK (CV Library).

Outside of the excellent academia, at Sussex you can explore any of 200 societies, cafés, bars, and events on campus, visit the famous Brighton beach and pier or take in the shopping centers and festivals.

Program Highlights

• Constantly ranked among the top universities in the world. The Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2020 placed Sussex 146th in the world overall, 54th for Social Sciences, 60th for Business, 86th for Psychology and 89th for Law.
  • 'University of the Year for Student Retention' by The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2022.
  • Sussex is ranked in the top 10 universities in the UK for Brighton's diverse nightlife (pubs, clubs and music venues) and political activities.
  • Over 1,000 top-tier study modules to choose from - Sussex is known for its Humanities and Social Sciences field, with its Development Studies program being placed at number 1 globally in the QS World University Ranking.
  • City of Brighton ranked 1st in England for student happiness

Popular Programs

Students on bench on campus

Ranked 11th for Psychology (Complete University Guide 2018) in the United Kingdom, the University of Sussex also has one of the country's largest schools of Psychology, with almost 40 modules on offer for direct enroll students.

The School has approximately 600 m2 of laboratory space, well equipped to support the needs of research groups, and an extensive range of general facilities, including 18 cubicles (for individual testing) and a large room used for the simultaneous testing of groups.

Students in campus building

Sussex's School of Global Studies offers over 60 modules for direct enroll students in the world-ranked disciplines of Development (1st globally - above Harvard and Oxford) and IR (world's top 100).

The School addresses the most pressing global issues of our time – global inequalities and justice, climate/environmental change, war and peace, global health and finance crises, intolerance and discrimination, with a focus on novel finding solutions to the world’s intractable problems.

About University of Sussex

Year Founded:
1959
International Students:
5,000

The University of Sussex is a leading research-intensive university near Brighton. We have both an international and local outlook, with staff and students from more than 100 countries and frequent engagement in community activities and services. Sussex was the first of the new wave of UK universities founded in the 1960s, receiving its Royal Charter in 1961.

• 9-10 rating 62.64%
  • 7-8 rating 35.16%
  • 5-6 rating 2.2%
Lavinia

Go abroad!

The university of Sussex is located in a national park surrounded by beautiful nature. Uni-managed accommodations are mostly on campus, some are in Brighton. Since only first year students and exchange students are allowed to live in these accommodations, everyone is quite young. Some accommodations are modern, others (like mine) are quite old and therefore not very nice. But you can check them out on sussex’ website and give a prioritization in your application.
The professors and students are very open-minded and diverse. Professors and staff are always happy to help with any questions. Lectures and exercises are very well structured and there is a range of extra tutorials to practice. Besides studying, there is a huge range of societies and activities. You’ll probably find any sport you can imagine and there are also 2 gyms on campus. If you’re interested in learning a new language, I recommend the language café, where you can practice a language (or even teach as a volunteer like I did) and meet new people.
Brighton is a beautiful city right at the sea with a lot of cute cafés, restaurant and shops. From campus you get there by bus in 30 min. London is only a 1H train ride away, so perfect for a weekend trip (or even day trip). Also, in the surroundings there are a lot of places to visit such as the seven sisters, Arundel castle, the little town Lewes etc.
To conclude, this semester abroad was a great opportunity to get to know a new country (and experience how it is to live there), new people, improve my language skills, visit new places and to grow. Sussex is a great university where professors actually care about what students think. I would always do it again.

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
Yorkshire pudding, which is definitely not a pudding. But delicious!
Anna

Great experience!

University of Sussex was very welcoming! The environment was friendly and diverse, there were so many events and societies that provided great entertainment and chance to learn from and socialize with people from all around the world. The location (Brighton) is absolutely great for both people who enjoy going out and those who prefer calmer activities like hiking. The train connection with London is great and affordable. The classes were very interesting, however some teachers assumed that the international students know some "technical" things and standards from University of Sussex (for example things like "you've all learnt how to write a literature review like this in your writing class last year so i won't explain it" when none of the international students had taken that class). There were also some difficulties connected with Brexit, especially as far as healthcare was concerned, but everyone tried their best to be very helpful. I would say the housing was the worst aspect of my stay, the price of the accommodation did not match the living standard of it, in my opinion.
Overall, the minor difficulties were definitely worth this great experience!

Do not trust the seagulls under any circumstances. They will attack you and they will steal your food. Don't walk near the beach with chips. Ever.
Mads Vinfeldt

Review of University of Sussex

I had a great experience on University of Sussex. If any international students are interested in coming to England, I would strongly recommend Sussex due to the inclusiveness of the its students and the lovely city of Brighton.
Furthermore, I the university offers a high academic standard while still keeping students from drowning in assignments.
Lastly, I recommend joining different social societies. Personally, I played Ultimate Frisbee during my stay, which makes easier to meet people and friends.

Join societies, they make student life more fun and you will have an easier time making friends.
Isabel Martha

Erasmus

Sussex is a great University, not the most academically rigorous. I did have quite a few issues with the University’s online portal which was irritating and time consuming. emails were often sent to the wrong groups, addresses ect so I often recieved important information regarding events and my studies, late or not at all. sometimes I got emails not meant for me which created a lot of confusion. Sussex is definetly a multi-cultural university and there was great opportunity to interact with others from a variety of backgrounds which I really enjoyed. The campus was well maintained but unusually difficult to navigate and very poorly signposted, I struggled as a native English speaker so can’t imagine how difficult it would be to navigate the campus for other students. The lecturers were friendly and paid special attention to exchange and foreign students which was helpful, but Overall I did find the University’s technology to be outdated and problematic.

What was your funniest moment?
Living in Brighton created so many brilliant memories but I’d have to say attending the Sussex Pole Society’s taster pole dancing event was by far my funniest moment. It was a completely foreign experience which I will always remember!
Eva

Study Abroad at the University of Sussex

Brighton is a fantastic city to live in, it is lively and there are endless of fun activities in the city. It is perfect for foodies, with many vegan and vegetarian friendly restaurants. The beach is right there near the city center and is perfect for your daily walks or runs, or just to hang out with your friends during the day or night, with clubs right at the beach side. The university is amazing as well with many interesting programs and they are always there to help you figure out what you want. I couldn't recommend it more!

What was your funniest moment?
To live in a student accommodation, I met so many people from all over the world.
Melissa

exchange semester university of sussex

The University of Sussex offers many interesting courses which I enjoyed. Furthermore, I found the workload quite manageable in comparison to my home university. The Study Abroad Office staff was always very kind and quick with answering our questions. Once they organised a welcome buffet for exchange and international students which was a nice gesture. The professors were usually also very friendly and open to questions. Additionally, there are plenty of societies and clubs one could join, ranging from a political society to a plant society.

What was your funniest moment?
Seeing people with food in their hands get attacked by seagulls.
Clara

Study abroad University of Sussex

I had a really great term at University of Sussex. The academic level was very good and there was a good relationship between students and teaching staff. The University offers a lot of different ways to meet New People and try New things. You Can join a lot of societies both sports and academics, but also completely different things like a knitting society. The Library is amazing and there are great cafés and bars on campus. Also Brighton is one of my favourite cities in the world and I would recommend anyone to visit the city.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I lived in the University accomodation at Lewes Court and I would not recommend other People to live there. Ideally, I would live inside Brighton but otherwise one of the newer campus accomodations like east slope.
Lilli

Semester abroad at the University of Sussex

Hello :)
I study physics at Master level and spent one semester at the University of Sussex (Erasmus program). I really enjoyed it! The campus is beautiful and I was very happy with my accomodation (Lewes Court) and my flatmates. The modules I chose (Cosmology, General Relativity, Further Quantum Mechanics, Quantum Field Theory 1, Symmetry in Particle Physics) were interesting, I learned a lot of new things about physics. What I enjoyed most was the social life on the campus, I joined several societies (Walking and Hiking, Board Games, Cuban Salsa). I can definetly recommend the University of Sussex for a term or year abroad!

I advise to future exchange students to enjoy your time and get involved in societies.