• England

University of Sussex
Bachelors Masters PhD.
Dormitory Host Family

Pricing

Autumn / Spring semester: £4,625 (EU) / £7,950 (Non-EU)

Full year: £9,250 (EU) / £15,900 (Non-EU)
What's Included
Some Activities Classes
Jan 04, 2021
Dec 10, 2021
17 travelers are looking at this program

The University of Sussex is one of the United Kingdom's top universities and a world-renowned higher-education institution, consistently ranked among the best universities around the world and in the UK top 20.

Sussex provides one of the largest study abroad programs in the UK - boasting more than 1,000 modules across almost 30 major areas.

Only one hour from central London and 30 minutes from London Gatwick international airport, Brighton is a sunny seaside city on the South Coast of England, famous for its festival and arts scene, and having a dynamic, cosmopolitan and vibrant sense of inclusivity. Brighton has been ranked as one of the world's top 10 beach cities (Lonely Planet) and the happiest place to live in the UK (CV Library).

Outside of the excellent academia, at Sussex you can explore any of 200 societies, cafés, bars, and events on campus, visit the famous Brighton beach and pier or take in the shopping centers and festivals.

Program Highlights

• Constantly ranked among the top universities in the world. The Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2020 placed Sussex 146th in the world overall, 54th for Social Sciences, 60th for Business, 86th for Psychology and 89th for Law.
  • Sussex is ranked in the top 10 universities in the UK for Brighton's diverse nightlife (pubs, clubs and music venues) and political activities.
  • Over 1,000 top-tier study modules to choose from - Sussex is known for its Humanities and Social Sciences field, with its Development Studies program being placed at number 1 globally in the QS World University Ranking.

Popular Programs

Students on bench on campus

Ranked 11th for Psychology (Complete University Guide 2018) in the United Kingdom, the University of Sussex also has one of the country's largest schools of Psychology, with almost 40 modules on offer for direct enroll students.

The School has approximately 600 m2 of laboratory space, well equipped to support the needs of research groups, and an extensive range of general facilities, including 18 cubicles (for individual testing) and a large room used for the simultaneous testing of groups.

Students in campus building

Sussex's School of Global Studies offers over 60 modules for direct enroll students in the world-ranked disciplines of Development (1st globally - above Harvard and Oxford) and IR (world's top 100).

The School addresses the most pressing global issues of our time – global inequalities and justice, climate/environmental change, war and peace, global health and finance crises, intolerance and discrimination, with a focus on novel finding solutions to the world’s intractable problems.

About University of Sussex

Year Founded:
1959
International Students:
5,000

The University of Sussex is a leading research-intensive university near Brighton. We have both an international and local outlook, with staff and students from more than 100 countries and frequent engagement in community activities and services. Sussex was the first of the new wave of UK universities founded in the 1960s, receiving its Royal Charter in 1961.

• 9-10 rating 63.86%
  • 7-8 rating 33.73%
  • 5-6 rating 2.41%
Zineb

A semester abroad experience

Coming to university of Sussex, I have been so stunned by the number of societies and sport available and the important presence of students' union.
I have met new friends, from all over the world, from different social activities I have been to, such as, the language Cafe that allowed me to share my cultural background.
The courses were so diverse and very alternative perspective allowing me to express myself.
Moreover, the staff were always available whenever needed.
Unforgettable journey.

Go free! Try new things and everything in the diverse city Brighton.
Lia

Perfect for International students

Especially if you live on campus, you’ll be able to have so much fun with your flat mates and friends who also live on campus. You can join flat party, go to a bar which close to building and get food etc…
University will host massive freshman’s events through over two weeks. Even if you could not meet people in your flat, you can definitely meet so many people in freshman’s week. The events are hold both on campus and off campus. We also can join Brighton pier takeover. I also recommend people to join sports teams. I was in lacrosse team and could have amazing experience.

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
That was my first time to live away from my family, so I was super nervous at first but I could make so many friends who eventually became my soulmates in such short term.
Dora Marianna

Study Abroad Direct Enroll Semester/Year

As soon as I entered the campus of Sussex University, I knew I will never want to leave this place. I chose to extend my stay at the University of Sussex because it is truly a place that provides everyone an opportunity to expand their knowledge on the matters that are most important to them. Regardless of whether you are interested in politics, medicine, or the arts, this university offers a diverse range of classes that will cover everyone’s interests. The community here is very open to newcomers and accepting of everyone as they are – inclusivity is a definite strength in all places of the university. I have witnessed and appreciated that at Sussex we grow as individuals through the experiences we face whilst still improving and bettering each other as group members.

Pernille

Incredible experience

My experience at university of Sussex proved to be the best three months of my life. I have learned a lot, and both professors and tutors have been so helpful. I have made friends from all over the world, friends that I will never forget.
The university is beautiful and you really feel at home there.
And then there’s the city of Brighton, which is one of the most vibrant cities I have ever visited. You can always find a new spot of the city that you had never seen before and people are so friendly

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
Walking through the doors at the university accommodation hoping that these people would become your family
Larissa

My Time At Sussex

Despite the circumstances, due to the pandemic I had a lovely time at Sussex University. I found my courses very intriguing especially because we were taught how to apply knowledge practically. My tutors were very helpful, throughout the term and always had an open ear for any worries or concerns. My only regret is that it was very hard to make new contacts, as all social events were held online. Covid made that more challenging. Luckily I knew some people beforehand. However, I would love to stay a second semester at Sussex.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I would definitely start revising earlier and check out all of the assessment requirements. Sometimes studying abroad can be a harder challenge academically, as you might not be familiar with the referencing style etc.
Julia

Erasmus

Overall, especially under the current conditions of a worldwide pandemic, I had a great time, thank you!
However, the housing conditions were not very good (bathroom, wifi, kitchen) . After complaining, things got better but it was very annoying.
Also even though online teaching did work quite well and most of the professors were really eager to help and support us, it was a big challenge
to only have online classes, where it was not really possible to connect with other students from your modules.

Kyle

Fall 2020 exchange

I loved being able to attend Sussex this fall. Obviously it was a bit hard with the Coronavirus pandemic which I definitely think affected my academics both from the teacher and my own engagement. I also found the staff slower to respond to emails than I am used to again probably due to the overall influx of online contact. Outside of school I loved living in the town of Lewes and getting to know other exchange students. It was nice that we had people to talk to during the lockdown and we could walk in local parks which helped with the stress of COVID.

What was your funniest moment?
The funniest times were when it would get late and we would play cards everyone would revert back to their mother tongue and then we would switch back and forth a lot.
Myriam

Review

The circumstances of my trip were really really strange because of COVID but I still manage to have lots of fun. I met new people and made good memories. I will definitely visit another time when I can travel a lot more freely. I made the choice to live in residence and it was great because my flatmates were very nice so we had good time even during lockdown. The teachers were understanding of the situation so I didn't feel too overwhelmed by my classes. I think my English improved significantly too and it was the purpose so I am glad. My courses were interesting and because I could attend modules that I don't have in my University

Be open minded and don't be afraid to try new things and to meet new people. I will advise you to stay in a residence so you'll be sure to meet a lot of people