IFR: Ethiopia- Shire Field School

Eons ago humankind emerged from the vast and beautiful East African landscape. Civilizations rose and played vital roles both domestically and on the world stage. The Aksumite Empire was one such global player, serving as a vital trade connection and important exporter of ivory in the Greco-Roman world. Today, over 90% of this fascinating area is still untouched by archaeologists, despite the richness that lays just below the surface.

This fascinating and complex field program will bring you closer to this world beneath the soil. You can be a part of The Shire Archaeological Project, a well established field program that works tirelessly to expose the Aksumite Kingdom’s rich pre-history and culture before the evidence is lost forever.

• Africa
  • Archaeology
  • Excavation
  • Aksumite Empire
  • Ethiopia

Kristin

IFR Ethiopia

I selected the IFR program with UCLA in Ethiopia because I am interested in studying archaeology in grad school and this was the only field school with a timing that worked with my job. I came into this experience with the hope that I would be able to gain some clarity about whether or not grad school is right for me.

My expectations were met and exceeded. I was not just a "field school student" but treated as part of the team. Every day I was able to work and interact and learn from experts. The program was set up so that I was able to spend time with the survey team, with specialists in zooarchaeology, lithics, and ceramics. I was able to ask advice from professionals and current graduate students. I was able to spend more time working with the survey team because that was my area of interest.

Beyond all of that, I had a fantastic time in an incredible part of the world. Ethiopia is a magical place and I was beyond lucky to be able to spend six weeks there with UCLA. Thank you IFR for facilitating this important experience.

I was fortunate to have a fantastic trench supervisor who taught me so much and made me feel welcome to ask as many questions as I wanted. My trench supervisor created the perfect environment to work and learn in. The program could be improved by making sure all of the trench supervisors are at this level.