AIFS Study Abroad in Cannes: Semester or Academic Year

AIFS Study Abroad in Cannes: Semester or Academic Year

Earn up to 18 credits through a wide variety of courses studying in the beautiful city of Cannes.

Study French language, art history. business, French cultural studies and more. Spring semester students can experience the Cannes Film Festival from the inside, with passes for screenings and internships available.

Live in an apartment (Fall only), homestay or live on campus at the Collège International de Cannes. You will have the Mediterranean at your doorstep as you look across the courtyard from your residence hall to the sunny beaches of the French Riviera. Enjoy a 4-day trip to Paris and a 2-day trip to Provence – as well as numerous social and cultural activities including a trip to St. Tropez and visits to Monaco, Antibes and the Picasso Museum, Grasse and Ile Sainte Marguerite.

Renowned for its artistic community and international festivals, Cannes combines the excitement of a small city with the relaxed attitude of a seaside resort.

• 4 Day Trip to Paris
Activities
Classes
Meals
Travel Insurance
AIFS is a premier provider of study abroad programs. Comprehensive fees cover tuition and housing with $800,000 in scholarship and grant funding available each year. A meal plan, tours and excursions, insurance and 24-hour emergency service are also included. Coordinated AIFS Flight Packages are available.
Cannes

Ian
Olney
Saint Mary's College of Maryland

Excellent Study Abroad Program thanks to AIFS

I wasn't quite sure what to think before studying abroad, about how I would fit in or enjoy an overseas country by myself. I have spent a number of years living abroad with my family prior. However, to use a cliche expression, Cannes was literally a life-changing experience for me. The classes and professors were amazing at teaching French, the students I met from around the world were fun to meet and share stories with, and the friends I made are some of my best friends till this day a year later. The food is great in France, most of it came from a grocery store a mile down the road that I fell in love with, but the cafeteria was a fun experience too. Housing in the dorms was incredible, you got to meet and become great friends with all the students there from all over the world, and my room even had a view of the Mediterranean, not to mention its only a 100 foot walk to the beach.

In addition, I'd like to give special thanks to AIFS and the program director Sandrine who was there and showed us around both the incredible town of Cannes, and on all our excursions, which were better than I could have hoped for by miles. I got to see huge portions of southern France, experience the food, learn the language and converse with people from all over the world, relax, party, study, explore, and really discover myself and what I wanted to do with the rest of college and afterwards. I am now onto the Peace Corps to keep travelling as much as I can! Thanks AIFS!

I could do it again.

Lyndi
Cincinnati, OH
Xavier University of Ohio

2-Week Intensive French Program - Awesome!

I participated in the 2-week intensive French Language program offered to AIFS students. I really enjoyed the program.

The classes were somewhat challenging at times, and those in the higher levels (like myself) were mixed with foreign students instead of just Americans - loved that!

The dorm we stayed in was very clean and was great to meet up with friends and plan trips. You could also meet in the campus cafe which was pretty cool too!

The location was AMAZING! You're right by the beach and not too far of a walk into the downtown area! Also you can take the train to lots of local cities like Grasse, St. Marguerite island, Antibes, Nice, Monaco and even Italy isn't very far! I took LOTS of day trips that way and did so cheaply!! It was such a great experience.

The cafeteria food was pretty good and always buffet style (with baguette of course!).

The teachers were helpful, friendly (for the French) but still professional. Very nice though.

There were 2 excursions offered for a small additional fee - worth it! The locations change each term based on prices and availability but we went to Aix-en-Provence for a day trip and it was very cool. They also sometimes offer Marseille.

I would definitely recommend this program and would have loved to have stayed longer.

The one down side would be it is a smaller town...therefore there's not a whole lot of things to do in January but the restaurants, beach, friendships and I'm sure the nightlife in the warmer seasons make up for it!

The wifi on campus wasn't the best and rather spotty.

Margaret
Washington, DC
College of William and Mary

Cannot Recommend Highly Enough

An amazing experience. Living on the beach, staying at a small school with students from all over the world, and taking rigorous but fun academic courses. I became very close with many of the people in my AIFs group- they are my best friends to this day. Cannes is a fantastic and charming town, and working at the Film Festival was an unforgettable experience. the support staff from AIFS could not be more helpful. I would recommend absolutely anyone to participate in this program- I wish I could do it all over again!

Carrina
Columbia, South Carolina
University of South Carolina- Columbia

The best experience of my college career!

Honestly, I didn't compare many study abroad programs when I was choosing which program I wanted to go through. When I saw that I could attend the Cannes Film Festival, I knew that's the program I wanted. It was everything I wanted it to be! I was able to travel to several different places in France through AIFS and to a few other countries on my own during breaks. Sandrine and Aude, the AIFS staff that work at the college, are always there to answer any questions about anything regarding study abroad, traveling, or just general French questions! The Cannes Film Festival was really exciting, and although it is tiring, you can get a lot out of the festival if you put in the time with the resources you are given by the program. Cannes is a fairly small town when the festival isn't going on, and although I didn't believe this would happen, I found myself annoyed by all the tourists that came during the festival (which was at the end of the four months I was there). I really felt that Cannes was my town. It was easy to learn where everything was once you go out and explore, and the school is within walking distance from the beach! I also thought that all of the teachers were nice and that I learned a lot in my classes. It was a great experience in every way!

The Collège International de Cannes admits students from all over the world at all different levels of French, and unfortunately, this usually means that English is more of a common language then French between different nationalities. I found that English was spoken more often than French on campus, and I wish it would have been the other way around. Even when I would go out in town, sometimes the store owners and other people I would encounter would speak English with me. This is usually done out of politeness, and if you make the effort to speak French with everyone, you can get the practice you want!

Clay
Orange, CA

Great Place to Live

The staff at Cannes fosters an environment of personal development. Not especially academic, this program allows for a lot of travel and opportunities to form friendships. While I won't remember a lot of the French I learned, I will remember the memories.

Clearer options about the meal plan.

Kirstyn
Wilmington, NC
University of North Carolina- Chapel Hill

An amazing experience in Cannes with AIFS!

The 6 weeks I spent in Cannes, France were beyond amazing. With the school situated literally across the street from the Mediterranean Sea (I could see it from my bedroom!), almost every day after class was spent at the beach. The opportunity to meet others from all around the world who were in my class was amazing, and the teachers were tough but I learned a lot! I loved all of the excursions we could take part in and Sandrine, the AIFS program director there was soo helpful! There was a doctor on site at the school so when a lot of us got sick it was nice to have, and a pharmacy was right across the street. We were close to le suquet, the coolest part of town and a few more minutes away from all the shopping and restaurants you could think of. You seriously can't go wrong with studying in Cannes!

The food at the school wasn't that great, but it was nice to be provided 3 meals a day! You can choose to not attend however, if you want to grab lunch or dinner elsewhere.

Caroline
Bloomington, Indiana
Indiana University- Bloomington

Experience of a Lifetime!

I studied abroad in Cannes in Spring 2013. This experience without a doubt changed my life. It was THE most life changing experience I have had to do, and the simple biggest highlight of my college career.

AIFS has set up one amazing program that guarantees you an incredible time abroad. In my program was about 40 other American students who came from all over the United States. We studied and lived in dorms at the College International de Cannes. There is also an option to live at a home stay, but it is still possible to get an authentic experience without staying with a family.

We took weekend trips, and day trips with AIFS that were included in the cost of the program to places like Paris, the Provence region, St. Tropez, and Monaco! Some weekends I would get together with my friends and we would visit another country for the weekend like Rome, Spain, or Germany. The closest airport is about 40 minutes by train in Nice and not that far.

We had French class 5 days a week, and optional seminar classes once a week. I adored my French teacher, and wanted to take her back to America with me at the end.

My absolute favorite part of the semester was the Cannes Film Festival. During the festival Cannes transformed into a bustling, and vivacious city! My AIFS resident director on campus helped me get an internship with a British film company. I loved every minute of my internship, and got to be an assistant to a celebrity while I was there. My friends and I walked the red carpet, went to premiere parties, and became entranced with all the glamor and excitement.

This experience broadened my cultural and worldly views in ways I didn't think possible. I made amazing friendships that I will cherish forever, and shared memories that I won't forget. If I could repeat my study abroad experience again I would in a heartbeat. Cannes is a magical place, that you won't want to leave!

Wi-Fi was slow during peak hours.

Caroline
Tuscaloosa, AL
University of Alabama- Birmingham

The Highlight of my College Career

If I could do another semester in Cannes, I would in a heartbeat.

I chose Cannes in the spring of 2013 because I did not want to be in as big of a city as Paris, but I still wanted that same cultural spark - and trust me, you get plenty of that during the film festival in May.

I studied at the Collège International de Cannes with the rest of the Americans in my AIFS group (there were about 40 of us in all) as well as a bunch of international students from all over the world. My various dorm neighbors were from Mexico, Japan, Iceland, South Africa, and so on. The school has a small campus, so it immediately feels like home. You can choose between a homestay or living at the dorm - I chose the dorm and it's pretty much the standard dorm experience (except that I could see the Mediterranean from my window, a nice touch). The style of the collège is very bright and warm. I liked the food in the cafeteria, but I'm not a picky eater and I know some people were less than fond of it. As long as you try things with an open mind, you should be able to survive. They do serve brunch on the weekends though, which is the greatest.

We had language classes every morning, 5 days a week. Students have the chance to move up in classes, so if you start out at maybe an intermediate French level, you can end up in advanced class by the end of the semester based on your language progression. Classes aren't extremely difficult, as long as you put in some effort and speak up. I was in an advanced class, and we did a little bit of grammar, but mostly we focused on listening exercises and just talking to each other. It was a lot more fun than classes back home, since usually we talked about whatever we liked - like movies, sports, food, and even the occasional explanation of Ryan Gosling's attractiveness (our French teacher didn't see it). Focusing on talking was a major help to my language skills, and I left France very proficient at the language.

You also take seminars that meet once a week. I'd recommend the Société Française class.

Actually living in Cannes is a lot of fun. The beaches are wonderful, and the town itself has a lot of character (especially the old town with its narrow, cobblestone streets). Food along Le Suquet (in the old part of town) is really good. It's only a couple of euros and a 40 minute bus ride to get to Nice, and there you have that city or the airport to go fly off to some other really cool destination.

Cannes was a great place to study in the spring because of the film festival. My AIFS resident adviser, Sandrine, helped me find an internship for the festival that went alongside my journalism major. So for the majority of it, I blogged about the festival and got to talk to, photograph, and occasionally interview some famous actors and actresses at the festival (one of my highlights was actually getting to speak French with Marion Cotillard). The film festival is a ton of fun, whether you intern at it or just go as a fan. AIFS gets you passes that get you into the movies, and you have the chance to go to the premieres and walk on the red carpet.

Overall, it was a great experience, and AIFS was a really good program to go with. Their resident director, Sandrine, was more than helpful. She set up a lot of great excursions every week, like Monaco, the Verdon Gorge, and cool, local towns we wouldn't have been able to get to on our own (as well as the fun, bigger trips like Paris, Florence, London, and Provence). She also helped us out when we were in a tight bind, like when my friend got a kidney infection and we had to rush off in an ambulance to the hospital. She took care of everything.

Anyway, I fully recommend studying abroad. You won't regret it, and the Cannes program is great.

The wifi of the collège: not so fantastic.

Catherine
Orange
Chapman University

A comfortable way to learn a language

The teachers all know exactly what they're doing when it comes to teaching French. They tailor to your needs and I ended up learning and retaining more French than I had in the previous four years. It's also great that other international students come to study French as well, so you get a better understanding of other cultures as well. The other courses offered are structured differently than American schools and I didn't really get out of it what I hoped to. The city is beautiful and it's wonderful walking everywhere. It's nice just to walk around and stop by cafe or gelato shop. The beach is literally right across the street which makes a fantastic reading spot when the sun is out. The atmosphere was just so relaxing that I felt I could focus more on my studies.

CannesSpring2008
Des Moines, Iowa

I'd Re-live my semester abroad if I could!

The college is a wonderful environment, from the students, to the professors to the cafeteria and security personnel.
The French language classes were challenging, but the professors were tremendously helpful, and they re-evaluate your level often so you can move up or down depending on your needs. They truly care about your success as a student and are willing to help in any way they can.
The non-language classes were fairly easy, but you still have to do your share of the work. It's not a semester off, but with an average effort you can easily get an A.
The AIFS staff on campus are second to none. They are responsive and willing to bend over backwards to help. I went to them for advice on the town, the culture, travel destinations, and also for day to day needs (where can I get a hair straightener that will work? They actually had one in the office we could borrow!).
I've talked with other students who went on different study abroad programs, and none of the others came close to the level of involvement and commitment to the students that the AIFS Cannes program has.
GO!

mlwigney
Delaware, OH/ Sacramento, CA
Ohio Wesleyan University

I Want To Go Back!

I did experience some difficulties living abroad, but they mostly related to picking up and moving half-way across the world. It was both terrifying and exciting but turned out to be one of the best decisions I've ever made.

My goal in studying abroad was to really improve my ability with the language. Living and learning in such a beautiful place with a number of people who could only speak French was ideal. Additionally, I ended up taking all of my classes (including non-language classes) in French even though the idea made me nervous at first.

Sandrine, the program coordinator, said that she'd be more than happy to help me with difficulties, advice I took advantage of on several occasions. By the time I came back to the US, I was comfortable speaking casually even though I knew my speaking wasn't perfect.

I'm returning to France this summer and am completely excited! I hope I haven't forgotten too much!

Sarah
Saint-Brieuc, France
University of Alabama- Birmingham

The Cannes Experience

One of the best experiences I had in college was studying abroad in Cannes. I went for my spring semester, which was perfect because we were there for the festival. Being a part of the AIFS group was wonderful - I loved that we came from different schools and different parts of the country. We all became friends, and some I became close enough with that I still name them as some of my best friends, and keep in touch with them today. The two AIFS representatives in Cannes with us were like older sisters - helpful, warm, and knowledgeable.

We also had a great time being in the Collège in Cannes - it gave a great opportunity to make friends with international students all over the world - from France to Brazil to Switzerland to Japan. Having mixed classes with different nationalities gave a much better perspective on learning the French language, and the classes were challenging but engaging. Living day-to-day at the Collège was great; I especially enjoyed living right next to the beach, where we would often spend our afternoons in the sun and evenings hanging out with friends, as well as my specific Art History and French Civilization classes. It was my first experience taking French classes that were subject-specific, as opposed to just general language classes, and it was a great way to learn that really interested me.

The trips - to London, Paris, and around Provence - were extremely well organized and I always enjoyed the activities we did, as well as appreciated the free time and choice we were given. It was a nice contrast from a trip I took in high school: although things are planned for you, you are given the freedom to come and go as you like. I usually chose to stay with the group as the things we saw, such as the ampitheatre in Nîmes, a winery in Provence, and a Cabaret in Paris, were always fun and great opportunities. It was perfect that these trips were included in the package and we didn't need to pay extra.

Staying in Cannes also had the benefit of the Film Festival in May, and we had unique opportunities through our program to go to film screenings, walk the red carpet, and help out at a gala event all through AIFS, and for free.

All in all it was a unique, well-organized, exciting experience that I will always cherish.

Bobby
Burlington, Vermont
University of Vermont

AIFS Cannes, France

The AIFS Cannes, France program had everything: challenging courses for every level with great teachers, beautiful and exotic scenery, safe environment for everyone to enjoy themselves, opportunities to gain work or internship experience and travel throughout Europe and even Northern Africa at affordable prices, etc. It was definitely one of the greatest experiences in my life.

Shelley
New York, NY
Chapman University

Had an incredible study abroad experience

I absolutely loved studying abroad in Cannes - it is one of the highlights of my college experience. The people at the College are incredibly helpful and willing to do almost anything to make your experience the best it can be. The university housing is very nice - the dorms are clean and neat with more than adequate space. The classes, while challenging, are great. They require effort, but are not overwhelming. I had the most amazing study abroad experience I could have asked for, and made friends I still keep today. It was fun, eye-opening, and made me stretch myself and learn in ways I never before thought possible.

AIFS is a leading provider of study abroad programs. Since 1964, more than 1.5 million students have traveled abroad with AIFS. Comprehensive program fees make it convenient for students to study abroad and experience all that the world has to offer.

With over half a