• Greece
    • Athens
Term
Academic Year, Fall, Spring, Summer, Winter
Anthropology Archaeology Architecture Art History Arts Business Classical Studies Communications Creative Writing Cultural Studies Economics European Studies Gender Studies Global Studies History Humanities International Relations Liberal Arts Literature Media Relations Medieval Studies Museum Studies Peace Studies Philosophy Political Science Public Policy Religious Studies Russian and Eastern European Studies Service Learning Social Sciences Sociology Sustainable Development Theater Theology Women's Studies +25

Program Details

Apartment Host Family

Pricing

Tuition: $16,800
Room: $3,900
Board: $1,150

Need-based scholarships available! For more info, please visit our website.

*Full-year students receive a 25% reduction on tuition for the second semester and are permitted to stay in CYA housing, at no extra charge, during the interval between semesters.

*Students from public universities in the United States and Canada will receive an automatic scholarship of $3,000 per semester.
What's Included
Accommodation Activities Classes Some Meals Travel Insurance Wifi
What's Included (Extra)

Entrance fees to sites and museums visited, supplemental hospitalization insurance, International Student ID Card (ISIC), official transcript sent to the home institution.

What's Not Included
Some Activities Airfare Airport Transfers Some Meals SIM cards Visa
Mar 02, 2022
Nov 11, 2022
33 travelers are looking at this program

CYA has offered study abroad programs in a wide range of academic disciplines for nearly 60 years. With supplemental activities varying from archaeological digs to study-travel and volunteer/internship opportunities, students are able to actively engage with their course material. Students live in apartments in downtown Athens and will be inspired to immerse themselves in the environment and expand their worldview. Athens, a European capital, is rich in history but also a contemporary hub for art, international business and relations, and debate on economic, political, and migration issues.

The CYA curriculum consists of academically rigorous courses taught by expert faculty. Course offerings encompass a range of academic disciplines and are taught in English. Optional language courses are available (Modern & Ancient Greek, Latin). Each semester, classroom lectures are complemented by onsite courses and field study to major historic and contemporary sites around Greece.

Program Highlights

• Onsite classes and study-travel incorporated into program.
  • Exciting courses in a range of disciplines.
  • Hands-on volunteer and internship opportunities.
  • Personalized attention from faculty and support staff.
  • Opportunity to learn Modern Greek.

• 5 rating 96.63%
  • 4 rating 3.37%
  • 3 rating 0%
  • 2 rating 0%
  • 1 rating 0%
Kaitlin

CYA

Greece is the best place to study abroad. CYA people are here to help you at any step! (Especially the student affairs office- they are the best!) My professors were amazing & made the classwork relevant to Greece and other current events, as well as being very inclusive and encouraging us to get immersed in the culture. Located in the Pangrati neighborhood where weekly farmers markets occur, has many cute cafes, 20 min walk from the acropolis, & right by the stadium. The food in Greece is incredible (very easy to be vegetarian), & I would highly recommend to travel to islands.

Pros
  • classes are really engaging
  • school trips take you to beautiful/ historical/ cultural rich places
  • student affairs administrators help you to get more immersed
Cons
  • classwork tended to be heaviest near the end/ finals
  • you will have to leave greece
Leighton

The Quintessential Study Abroad Experience

The College Year in Athens has everything one could need not only to explore Greece but to have a complete and enduring study abroad experience. Although on the surface Athens may seem like a location meant for those interested in Ancient History or Art History, CYA defies this understanding. CYA offers a broad range of courses from Political Science to Psychology to Business. Any student regardless of academic interest can find a home in CYA's academic offerings. However, beyond the diversity in course selection, CYA is structured down to its housing in a way that forces every student to ingrate into their community and explores Athens and Greece as a whole. With the whole program nestled in the Pangrati neighborhood of Athens, every student is forced to be intimately acquainted with local shops, restaurants, cafes, and vendors. Outside of all of this CYA is staffed by helpful and enthusiastic people who have an endless wealth of knowledge that is geared toward supporting American students studying in Greece. They know how to help with every type of problem that could occur, and could not do a better job of making students feel comfortable. Whether they are organizing a cab to your apartment when you first arrive or helping replace a passport, they are there for you. CYA also has a system of affinity and interest groups to help students get involved in different ways across the City. Whether it be looking for underground restaurants or a chance to hike Mount Olympus, CYA students can find extracurricular opportunities. Finally, what would a study abroad program be without more travel? At CYA students embark on two mandatory Field Study trips over the course of their semester. These trips, guided by CYA faculty and supported by CYA staff, bring students to an area of Greece to learn and experience that is outside of Athens. During my Trip to the Peloponnese, I was guided through ancient Sparta, tasted Olive Oil at an Olive Mill, and visited the Ancient Stadium at Olympia. These trips are organized completely by CYA, allowing students to focus purely on learning and experiencing all these great places have to offer! These field studies are jam-packed with fascinating information and unforgettable experiences. Overall, there is nothing more CYA could offer to be a better more holistic Study Abroad Program. Whether you want to or not, you will have a wonderful time, meet wonderful people, and create memories that will last a lifetime!

Pros
  • CYA's Field Study trips are wonderful
  • Diverse and engaging Course Options
  • Athens is a large and diverse city with an endless amount to explore
Cons
  • Athens is large, and can be quite intimidating at first
  • The Greek Language can be quite intimidating to English Speakers
Luis

Studying at a Nexus Point in Time

I first arrived to Athens with the intention of getting to know all of its ancient monuments. For students of history, classics, and archaeology, I think this is the primary aspect that makes CYA attractive. For sure, the ancient monuments and ruins that dot much of Athens makes for a picturesque and out-of-body experience. However, Athens much more than its ruins, its a city that is teeming with energy at all hours of the days, from museum events, rebetiko music in tavernas, and general nightlife, there is something for everyone at any time. Greeks also tend to be very welcoming of foreign students, people of all backgrounds who come to really immerse themselves this unique culture will be welcomed with an incredible hospitality. CYA is very cognizant of this, and they've prepared a study abroad experience that encourages this kind of exploration; anthropology courses which empowers their students to inquire into the city's vibrant culture, and archaeology courses which take place at the sites they explore. This is conducive for a kind of experiential learning that is unmatched by traditional forms of teaching. The lecturers at CYA are respective experts in their field, which makes classroom discussions in these experiential settings often feel like you're being taken on a tour of the city through time, rather than a static lecture. Beyond Athens, CYA incorporates field study in other parts of Greece, which allowed me to really grasp the cultural and geographic diversity that makes Greece the most beautiful country I've ever seen. tl;dr although the academic component was amazing, and at the heart of the study abroad experience, I feel like I learned more about life in my time here than I could have at a traditional institution.

Pros
  • A city that never sleeps
  • Passionate instructors
  • Greeks are really nice actually
Cons
  • Learning Greek is difficult
  • You'll probably want to stay
  • Even a year abroad feels too short
Janelle

Great Program

I had a great time with CYA Athens! Met a lot of people from all over the world and even learned a little bit of Greek. I felt immersed in the culture as I got my daily coffee or saw my favorite waiter for dinner. The professors made you feel welcome and all the staff was willing to help and take the extra mile to help you. A truly great program. We got to travel all over Greece so I feel like I know everything about all of Greece not just Athens. I loved learning about Greek history and mythology and literally standing where famous people have in the past. Incredible

Pros
  • Family
  • Language
  • Culture
Cons
  • Abroad
Anastacia

Semester of a Lifetime

As a half-greek American with familial roots in Greece, this was my first time visiting the country and I was not disappointed. Greece is the most beautiful place I have ever visited with fresh food, rich culture, and beautiful mountains and beaches. While CYA prepares you to adapt to Greek culture and life, they also give you a fair amount of independence to explore on your own. With classes only Monday through Thursday, you are given three day weekends to roam around Athens or travel elsewhere. You also live in apartments among Greek locals which truly gives you an authentic Greek experience. These apartments are in an ideal location, only about a 15 minute walk from the Acropolis and great restaurants. In terms of the academic side of things, the courses were a bit of a lighter load than my home college and were much more hands-on. A lot of my classes took trips to museums or did field study in surrounding neighborhoods. We also went on three field study trips: one to Delphi, one to Southern Greece, and one to Northern Greece. These trips were by far my favorite experience because I got to learn more about Greece's history while getting to see different villages and cities all around the country. Overall, I could talk about my experience in Athens for hours (which makes writing a short review difficult!) Studying abroad through CYA taught me how to be more independent, mature, confident, and to take authority when needed. As a first-generation student, this was my first time traveling out of the country and I feel much more comfortable and assured after traveling to Greece through CYA. Leaving this program, I have lasting connections with professors, faculty, and even locals from my time spent in Athens.

Pros
  • Amazing food
  • Rich culture
  • So much to do
Emily

BEST TIME OF MY COLLEGE LIFE

Absolutely loved my experience through CYA. My program had 120 students total, so it made adjusting to a new country and customs that much easier. Lunch is served 5 days a week too which was really handy. Overall, the food, the people, and the city's rich culture provided an unforgettable experience for me. I found some of my lifelong friends while studying abroad through CYA, and during our time together we were able to travel all over Greece and Europe. Highly recommend studying abroad through CYA's program.

Pros
  • Incredible food and drink landscape in Athens (also very cheap in compared to eating out in U.S. )
  • CYA apartments are in a great neighborhood that is only a 30 minute tram ride from gorgeous hikes and beautiful beaches
  • CYA provided many helpful resources to assist students in exploring Athens
Ruby

An unforgettable experience!

Studying abroad with CYA was the perfect decision. I was able to explore so many places in Athens and Greece, both in an academic context and for fun. All of my classes were very interesting, especially as a Classics major, but there are a wide variety of courses offered. I loved living in the neighbourhood of Pangrati and it was so easy to get other places in Athens. I made some really good friends, especially my roommates. The country is very affordable, I loved the food and I will miss it a lot!

Pros
  • Amazing food
  • Interesting classes
Cons
  • Finals heavy
  • Less community spaces
Andrea

If I could stay in Greece forever, I would!

Studying abroad through CYA was the best decision I ever made. I was able to meet so many people, whom I will be friends with for the rest of my life, and fall in love with a country and culture I knew nothing about aside from mythology and literature!

My professors were amazing and all of the staff I interacted with were super nice and helpful, and I couldn't recommend this program enough. The location is right in central Athens so there's plenty for you to do and ease of access to travel outside of the city--on your own or on the organized trips!

If you love to try new things or travel, Athens is the city to be in. I wish I didn't have to leave!

Pros
  • Great Professors
  • On site classes
  • Trips to other parts of Greece
Cons
  • Minimal interaction with locals