Budapest Semesters in Mathematics Education (BSME) undergraduate participants will immerse themselves in mathematical exploration to experience first-hand learning in the Hungarian approach; then they will investigate how to bring this pedagogy into their future classrooms. They will observe Hungarian mathematics classrooms and will plan and teach their own lessons to Hungarian students (in English).
In the spirit of Hungarian instruction, BSME faculty will challenge our participants to take part in creating, rather than just learning, the material. BSME courses are designed so that credits will be transferable to American and Canadian colleges and universities, with transcripts issued by St. Olaf College in Northfield, MN.
BSME welcomes students who are:
1) Currently pursuing secondary mathematics teaching license at their home institutions
2) Planning to pursue other paths to mathematics licensure
3) Or simply curious about learning and teaching of mathematics
- Practicum - observing and teaching in a Hungarian Classroom
- Internships available during the semester (for credit)
- Live independently in apartments
- Learn from Hungarians who have first had knowledge of the Hungarian approach to teaching
- Travel independently on weekends to surrounding European cities
- The Summer Session deadline is March 1st.
- The Fall Semester deadline is April 1st.
- All applications are accepted on a rolling basis, so reserve your spot early!