View Other Details
Not included in the tuition:
1. Transportation to and from Budapest: To be arranged by the participant.
2. Living costs. See our website for living cost estimates. (Budapest is an affordable city.)
Financial aid from your home institution may be applied to your BSME semester. Check with your college's financial aid office and/or your study abroad office for more information.
Scholarships are not available. Check with your home institution's study abroad department for possible funding resources.
Course materials, student support services, and local health insurance. Students must provide their own international health insurance.
BSME will arrange housing for students in local apartments with independent property owners. Students will pay the property owners directly for monthly rent. Students are responsible for making/purchasing of their own meals throughout the term.
Budapest Semesters in Mathematics Education (BSME) undergraduate participants will immerse themselves in mathematical exploration to experience first-hand learning in the Hungarian approach; then they will investigate how to bring this pedagogy into their future classrooms. They will observe Hungarian mathematics classrooms and will plan and teach their own lessons to Hungarian students (in English).
In the spirit of Hungarian instruction, BSME faculty will challenge our participants to take part in creating, rather than just learning, the material. BSME courses are designed so that credits will be transferable to American and Canadian colleges and universities, with transcripts issued by St. Olaf College in Northfield, MN.
BSME welcomes students who are:
1) Currently pursuing secondary mathematics teaching license at their home institutions
2) Planning to pursue other paths to mathematics licensure
3) Or simply curious about learning and teaching of mathematics
- Practicum - observing and teaching in a Hungarian Classroom
- Internships available during the semester (for credit)
- Live independently in apartments
- Learn from Hungarians who have first had knowledge of the Hungarian approach to teaching
- Travel independently on weekends to surrounding European cities