Summer Study in Hungary with BSME

Summer at BSME learning fun
Summer at BSME learning fun
College International, where classes are held
College International, where classes are held

[email protected] is a six-week summer program in Budapest for those interested in the learning and teaching of secondary mathematics. Participants take a variety of courses in mathematics education and complete a week-long field experience. Come and experience the Hungarian Approach to learning and teaching of mathematics - which emphasizes problem-solving, creativity, and communication - as well as the rich and vibrant culture of Hungary.

• Mathematics Education courses that focus on the Hungarian Approach
  • Field experience at a mathematics camp for secondary students
  • Instructors are Hungarian teacher scholars who actively teach grades 5-12
  • Small, lively classes taught in English

Upcoming Deadlines

- The Spring Semester deadline is November 1st.
- The Summer Session deadline is March 1st.
- The Fall Semester deadline is April 1st.
- All applications are accepted on a rolling basis, so reserve your spot early!

Lindsay

Budapest Semesters

The BSME program was a fantastic program that’s unlike any other program I have come across. This program was geared towards my major (Secondary Education - Mathematics) more than even my classes in college were. I learned so much in these 6 weeks about mathematics education. I am now a teacher, and I have been using the skills that I learned abroad every day in my classroom. I also learned how to navigate the city, which is an empowering feeling by itself. The city is beautiful and you can easily get around by public transportation, which is extremely cheap. It is also easy to travel to surrounding areas such as Prague, Vienna, or even Italy. There are so many beautiful views and monuments to go see in Budapest. The food is amazing, I recommend a place called Al Dente close to Rákóczi tér. It is so cheap to live in Hungary. You can get a meal for a fraction of the cost it would be in the US. Most importantly, I made the most amazing friends over in Hungary. It is a unique experience to be surrounded by so many like-minded people, especially when mathematics education is such a small cohort of people. I still remain in contact with my friends from this trip nearly every day. I recommend this study abroad trip to every mathematics education major because it’s a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Bethany

An Amazing First Abroad Experience!

I participated in the first Summer 2018 BSME program, and I couldn't have asked for a better first experience abroad. I am a mathematics major with interest in attending graduate school for secondary math education. The BSME program helped me to develop skills and acquire new ones for my future in teaching. I came back to the states with an abundance of knowledge of not only the Hungarian system of teaching mathematics, but also how we can add to the American system for the better. I am also very grateful for all of the relationships I made abroad. Everyone in the program was so welcoming, kind, and some of the best people I have ever met. I have made friendships that I will cherish forever. I would highly recommend this program for anyone interested in mathematics and learning more about a culture in the beautiful city of Budapest, Hungary!

About Budapest Semesters in Mathematics Education

Budapest Semesters in Mathematics Education (BSME) is a semester-long program in Budapest, Hungary, designed for American and Canadian undergraduates and recent graduates interested in teaching middle school or high school mathematics. BSME was...