SIT India: Sustainable Development & Social Change

Examine India’s socioeconomic development trends and how rethinking development is gaining urgency for shaping sustainable social change.

Major topics of study include:

India’s transition: post-1990s
India’s polity and governance mechanisms
Indian society and its marginalized communities
Rural and urban development: crisis, challenges, and response
Creating a roadmap for sustainability in India and radical ecological democracy (RED)

L

Life-Changing

India is an incredibly interesting and diverse country and SIT did a phenomenal job of helping us understand complex development processes with cultural context. With the Independent Study Project, I felt like I was able to challenge myself and really dive into a topic that interested me. The SIT Staff could not have been more helpful--they helped us feel like students instead of just tourists and were incredibly kind. While India can sometimes be a harsh country to live and travel in, I grew so much and this program truly changed the way that I look at the world!

About SIT Study Abroad

SIT has been providing immersive, field-based study abroad programs for undergraduates for more than 50 years. SIT offers more than 70 programs in Africa, Asia and the Pacific, Latin America, and the Middle East, as well as comparative programs in...