Study Abroad at DCU in Dublin, Ireland

Study Abroad at DCU in Dublin, Ireland

As proud members of Generation Study Abroad, DCU is excited to welcome international students to the campus. DCU offers semester and year long programmes in the following areas:

-Humanities and Social Science (HMSAO Study Abroad Stream)
-Global Business Studies (BSSAO Study Abroad Stream)
-Electronic and Mechanical Engineering (ECSAO Stream)
-Health and Health Sciences (SHSAO Stream)

Students select a stream closest to their major. They may still choose modules open to their stream from the following disciplines:
-Communication Studies
-Chemical Science
-Physics
-Nursing
-Biotechnology

There is also an option for non native English speakers to experience Study Abroad

Europe » Ireland » Dublin
Europe » Ireland
The current Non EU fee for semester only students is €5800 and the fee for a full academic year is €11100. The fee includes tuition and registration fees, free membership to DCU's modern gymnasium and swimming pool. The fee also includes a full orientation program with excursions including an interactive trip to an Irish Farm and a full bus tour of Dublin City. The cost does not include accommodation nor a meal plan however there are ample restaurants and superb fantastic style accommodation located centrally on the campus.

Monireh
Düsseldorf

Best Time of my Life

After not being able to go abroad during my Bachelor's program, I decided it was time, when I was in the middle of my Master's program. I studied German and English Studies and as a post-grad program Comparative Literary Studies in English and American Language, Literature and Culture, at a German university.

DCU was the first uni to repond and they were so nice and helpful that I liked them immediately. I never experienced such nice people, who were helpful and made me feel welcome. Even though I was told, my chances of getting a room on campus were non-existent, I applied and, to my surprise, I received an answer shortly. I was offered a more expensive room on the post-grad complex. I was so happy and took the offer. I did not regret it. The room was nice, big, with its own bathroom, tv and everything. The campus was amazing as well. The Nubar with its Goujons and Chips made it so much easier being away from home. During my first week, I had orientation, where older students would answer questions and I could get to know different clubs. I joined the archery club, by the way. The seminars I attended were ok. Of course, the students were shy and I did not make a tons of friends right away. But I had the nicest, international (Irish, African, German, Canadian) room mates and I made a couple of Irish friends, who I still am in touch with.

Looking back, I have to say, I had the time of my life. Dublin is a beautiful city, with beautiful (hidden) places, parks, amazing restaurants and people. DCU campus has a lot to offer and I was very surprised (in comparison to my boring German campus) to find a bar, Starbucks, a state of the art sports complex (which I was allowed to go to for free), a library, super market and book store.

Thank you so so much!

I was only allowed to take seminars that would gain me 15 Creditpoints in total. Since I need 30 per semester, to be on schedule, I would've like to be able to take more seminars/exams.

Fernanda
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

The most incredible experience of my life !

DCU have supported me since I was thinking to apply for Ireland. International Office Staff give all the security that international students need to make them sure of their decision and they have answered all my question an that's why I've choosed DCU since the beggining for my exchange program. The first 3 month I've stayed in a host family house that DCU carefully choose for me and was an great experience, I could learn more about Irish culture and their habits. Also, in those 3 months I've studied english to prepare myself for taking science classes in DCU and that helped me a lot to improve my English. After that i've lived in DCU accomodation campus which is amazing and in there I could experience one of the best time of my life for sure. DCU teachers are awsome and very attentive. For sure I would recommend DCU to any student of the world !

Pollini
Governador Valadares, MG, Brazil

The College 4U

My name is Pollini Passos and I would like to talk a little bit about my experience in Dublin City University during my graduation through the Science Without Borders Brazilian programme. Choosing DCU was an easy decision after researching about the best universities in Ireland and it became one of the best ones in my entire life.
The international office was always very patient and helpful even before I decided to study at DCU, whenever I had a question I sent emails and the answer was always quick and helpful. I arrived directly to the academic year, and even not knowing a lot of people, easily DCU became home. The students' accommodation provided by the university is all new and comfortable, and the staff is always kind to help.
During the academic year I took several relevant modules related to the Manufacturing Engineering course where classes were all fine and the Lecturers always ready to assist the students. Besides that, during the summer, I had the honour to develop a research alongside Dr. Liam MacGabhann that hopefully will become the basis for my final dissertation back in Brazil.
I owe a huge gratitude to Caroline and Emma, both from the international office, that always supported us in every field of our lives. Also, to all the friends I made during this incredible year: you made Ireland feels like home, even if it was for a short time. I will carry this experience and you all with me, for the rest of my life, thanks for every second spent here. Thanks for all the nights spent indoors during the terrible winter, thanks for every shite night at NuBar, thanks for enjoying the spring that none of us will ever forget.
Finally, thanks DCU, for having me. Thanks for the year of my life!

Laurent
Paris

Excellence, Opportunities, Welfare

Coming from the Catholic University of Paris, I have studied one semester (september-december 2015) at DCU.
Overall this semester was a fantastic experience for me. This might sound too general but I better grasp the plurality of the world in which I am living today thanks to this experience. And this is not the case of all my fellow students in Paris. I am not meaning that they are not open to the world, but the experience abroad is a much better way of understanding our world.

In that matter, DCU is a great University. I have been warmly welcomed with a pre-semester week specifically organized for foreign students. I was assisted during the choice of the modules and during the whole semester by a very competent and available International Office.

Regarding accomodations, DCU must be one of the most modern University in Europe. Welfare and after-school activities are a significant part of DCU's policies. The Helix building welcomes films, conferences and drinks party. The huge library grants students with thousands of textbooks and articles in each academic field. Those crucial resources are available on DCU's website. It is very convenient to borrow a book or to download an article. Sports are also encouraged in DCU. Football, rugby grounds, tennis courts, swimming pool and gym rooms are available and included in tuition fees. I have been delighted to take part in a well-organized five-a-side football league that gathers students from all other the world. The spirit was amazing.

Finally, a part from the excellence of modules granted, the most amazing experience for me was the impetus laid on student life. This student life is really prompted by DCU's administration. I can not count how many events I have been to, how many societies exist. The most amazing thing for me was to discover that student life had a proper building -the HUB. The Student Union is working all day long to help students register to events, pay their Leap card for Dublin Buses, basically give information on societies etc. Every week there is a theme such as mental health or Sexual Health Awareness & Guidance that grant students with interest and knowledge on the subject. I took part in 3 different societies (International relations society, DCU astro league, DCU Surf'n Sail society, Esoc) but I could have taken part in far more if I wanted to. In deed the subscription to each society costs 4€. In concrete terms, I enjoyed great "craics" (real Irish world) on campus events, attended conferences with the Palestianian Ambassador in Ireland and went surfing in Bundoran in October !

From a French point of view, it was a real pleasure to meet appreciated Dubliners, to discover Dublin - its joyful atmosphere and typical weather, and to study in an open University.

A sincere thank you

Academics, accomodations, atmosphere was great.
Still, if foreign students who are not granted a room on campus could be better assisted, it would be perfect.

Response from Dublin City University

Thanks Laurent for the great review - we are delighted that you had such a great experience here in DCU.

DCU will do their best to provide accommodation for International Students and early application is advised. We recommend also that students apply to www.shanowensquare.com which is excellent student accommodation and only a five minute walk from campus...

Maura
Des Moines
Drake University

Really Loved it!

Had a wonderful time.The people at DCU (staff, students, admin) were all so approachable and kind. The school is really nice and clean. The classes are not that difficult and the teachers are very understanding if you need help in a class or anything because you are an international student. There are a lot of clubs and societies that you can join. The pub on campus is quite fun. Always something to do. Close enough to city center but not in city center which was kind of nice.

More involvement with irish students.

Response from Dublin City University

Thanks so much Maura for your lovely review and we will do our best to increase involvement with Irish students. Wishing you all the best in the future.

Alvin
Syosset, New York
Rutgers University

A Great Time in Dublin

Dublin is one of the best cities in Europe, let alone the world. I studied at this University and always had time to have a great time and enjoy the city and the excellent view of Ireland. I learned a lot about European culture in my classes and really enjoyed making new friends. Going abroad was the greatest decision of my life and I would not change anything about my trip! My friends and I would often go to different universities to hang out with Irish students that we had met out.

Response from Dublin City University

So glad to hear you enjoyed Dublin. It's great being close to the airport too. Students can take advantage to visit other cities. Thanks again and we wish you all the very best for the future.

Saulo
Teresina, Piauí

Best experience ever!

Studying at DCU was definitely the best experience I've ever had in my life. Getting to know some of the nicest and most helpful people I've ever met, speaking English all the time and having the opportunity to take modules I can't take here in Brazil make me don't have anything to complain about the Exchange.
DCU staff were always there to support us and they were always trying to make us feel the most comfortable possible. DCU has a big campus, with lots of facilities as restaurants, a drugstore, a bank and some ATMS around, besides the huge library where you can find some really important books.

As an Engineering student, I could learn a lot from the modules I had taken there - from bionedical engineering to programming and image processing modules.
DCU accommodations are very good, maybe the best I've seen in Dublin, and they are all inside the campus or quite near it.

Visit NuBar, go to the Albert College Park, join a society or a club... enjoy DCU to the fullest. I can tell you: YOU WON'T REGRET IT ;)

Gustavo
Pelotas - Rio Grande do Sul / Brasil

The best you can get!

For sure the experience of studying in DCU is the best you can get so far!
All the staff there was really helpful from the very first day till the day I left Dublin for the last time. The accommodation they got me was comfortable and secure, the facilities were great including football pitches, a complete sports centre with swimming pool and all the rest you may need and a pub with good beer and food.
I've spent one and a half year there and attended both English course and University. These two experiences were quite different but great in different ways.
On the english course the lessons were funny without losing content and the teachers committed with all the students. There were useful extra-classes like "Job interview" and "Conversation" classes, with the two best teachers ever. The IELTS preparation course is also a powerful point of the experience.
On the other hand, during the University time things get a bit more serious as you may expect, but the social life improves as well. There were great classrooms, labs fitted with everything you need to study and a complete library.
No regrets at all! I highly recommend DCU!

No thoughts on how to improve it so far.

Júlia
São Paulo, Brasil

DCU science without boarders

All I can say about my experience in Ireland is that I had the craic. Despite all stories I've already shared there is one that I haven't yet.
Is about my college conclusion essay- all students must do it in Brazil- well after my exchange in Ireland I could reflect about some issues evidenced in Brazil that I only could see when I left. So, when I came back home, I promisse myself stop complaining and really try to make some difference. And that is what my conclusion essay is about: A business plan about a Brazilian cultural issue that I have figured out when I was in Ireland and now I am trying to implent it.

In my opinion there was a lack of communication between my university in Brazil and DCU. That is the only thing I would improve, try to make this communication better.

Pedro
Brazil, Minas Gerais

The amazing experience

Hi,
I went to DCU by a brazilian exchange program called "Science without Borders". I stayed there for 15 months, which I studied English, Engineering and researched too. It was such a good experience.
The school was always there to support me. I managed to met great friends there. The modules were such a good challenge for me.
Not to mention how much I miss my host family and the DCU accommodations. Try to go Nubar as much as you can, best burguer ever. And yeah, try the societies. :D

Gabriel
Brazil
Dublin City University

The best time of my life

I can say for sure that the time I've spent in Dublin was by far the most amazing experience of my life. I had all the support from the university staffs, specially Caroline Maggee, who was always up to help me and my schollarship mates.

My host family was incredible also, presenting me the city and their county (swords). Mary and Paddy McCallion deserve a lot of respect and I super recommend them as host family.

No program is perfect? Not sure, because this program was definitely perfect. I have no modifications to suggest, cause I cannot imagine a better experience than the one I experienced in Ireland

Cyril
Paris, France

DCU's got enormous sport facilities

The great thing about dcu is its sport complex. With a lot kinds of facilities, we are all able to exercise every day.
I enjoyed going to the swimming pool twice a week, going to the gym twice a week and the very best thing was really the football peaches.
I remember one week I played football with some friends on Friday afternoon, as usual. But the great thing is we spent the whole following weekend exercising. Football matches, swimming, gym etc...

DCU is a young, dynamic and ambitious university with a distinctive mission to transform lives and societies through education, research and innovation. DCU has grown in both student numbers and size since 1980 on a beautiful self contained modern campus in North Dublin close near