Cinema Studies in Dublin, Ireland

In this summer program, you will be immersed in cinema studies in Ireland. You will get to work both critically and creatively, taking courses on contemporary Irish cinema and digital filmmaking, as well as attending Ireland’s largest film festival held every year in Galway, the Film Fleadh. Weekly excursions and local outings in and around Dublin and the Irish countryside allow you to learn on location about the country’s rich film history and explore the sites where important historical events, and films about those events, took place.

You will attend courses in Dún Laoghaire, a community on the outskirts of Dublin, and live with Irish families in homestays. The program includes excursions, the film festival, many other group cultural and social activities, full on-site support, and a program orientation.

Jenni

Digital Dublin

I spent this past summer in Dublin, Ireland attending a comprehensive film course at the Institute of Art Design and Technology (IADT). I had never been out of the country prior but I always knew I wanted to go abroad, I just never really imagined it possible. This particular course caught my eye, for one Ireland, I think for many is a dream destination to visit and second, having the opportunity to study film with professionals is a once in a lifetime experience. Aside from attending the course, traveling around Ireland with a new group of about 20 friends is pretty awesome. You meet new people and see new things around every corner. One of the highlights was heading down to the forty-foot after class to swim and bum on the beach, not something you'd picture for a typical day in Ireland!

Brenden

Study Abroad: Cinema Studies Ireland

Never before have I left the country. Ireland was an incredible first destination abroad. The scenery and culture were incredibly beautiful and enlightening. This experience was unique for I experienced it with several close friends; together we made the most of our experiences by exploring the landscape as well as a multitude of intriguing historical sites. Culture shock is often a fear for many before traveling abroad. I can assure potential students that the culture shock was very minimal as Irish culture is extremely welcoming, understanding and accommodating of students studying abroad. This was a life changing experience that I will never forget as it has opened my eyes to the fascinating world beyond the United States.

Tianni

BEST SUMMER EVER

The Republic of Ireland is rich in history and culture. The city of Dun Laoghaire is coastal and lively. The Saturday market is a great place to get a feel for Dun Laoghaire and experience the food culture and art of Ireland. The scenic views throughout Ireland are unforgettable.

The trip advisors and professors were welcoming, helpful and supportive in every way possible. The assigned homestay ensured the students time in Ireland was authentic and homey. I loved staying with my family. Family dinners made my stay across seas a little less daunting.

I Couldn't have asked for a better summer.

N/A
Jordan

Dublin 2016

It was really fun and I learned a lot
about Irish culture and film as well as
filming techniques and gained
valuable connections. I really enjoyed
my time in Ireland. The host families
were very accomodating and helpful
and the staff at IADT were very kind
and also the breakfasts were great.
I especially enjoyed the excursions
to more rural parts of Ireland. I wish
it could have been a longer visit.

N/A
Steven

Steven's Review

One of the greatest nights on the trip was in Galway pub hoping with the group. Every single pub had an incredible band playing in them, with hundreds of people in each of these clubs attending which made it great for talking to random Irish/European people in them. There was one particular club that we went to where the band was playing so many of our favorite songs, including Blink 182's All the Small Things and the whole group went crazy when they started to play, as this song was sung at random times the same week by us on bus rides, random moments, etc. So the odds of them playing this song was so weird but amazing! Many of us went so crazy that we stood up on tables and started to really rock out, which I'm sure everyone in the pub enjoyed seeing. Choosing one moment on this five week trip was extremely difficult, since every day was a new, fun, humorous adventure, but this was definitely one of my favorite moments from the trip!

The program could be longer because for people who have never picked up a camera before, like me, they need more time to develop the craft before making the film.
MaryBeth

Dublin

One of my favorite days in Ireland was during the last weekend when the Irish sun decided to make a long awaited appearance. A few students from my program decided to lay out on one of the harbor beaches near the Dun Laoghaire Pier and make the most out of the last few moments together. My host family even made an appearance with some family friends and joined us. While the sun was setting we decided it was finally time to conquer the 40 Foot Pier, which was a popular jumping and swimming hole with the locals. I'm absolutely terrified of heights but it was fun to have the students from my program and random locals cheer me on as I finally made the plunge into the ocean. It was one of those "perfect days" that I'll remember forever. This is a program I would recommend to anyone, anywhere, a thousand times over.

I honestly don't think it could be.
Kiana

Exploring Ireland

My favorite part of this program was definitely the excursions. From visiting Kilmainhaim Gaol (jail) to hiking Glendalough, every place we visited was breathtaking. For one of the weekends, we went to the west coast of Ireland and stayed in Galway, Ireland for three nights. There, we went to the Galway Film Fleadh (Film Festival) and ate the most amazing seafood. This was hands down the best study abroad experience ever.

About GEO Study Abroad

At Global Education Oregon, we create pathways to international, experiential learning for students, faculty, and university partners. Founded on the belief that international engagement is integral to developing global citizens, we prepare students...