IES Abroad Dublin – Irish Studies

This program is designed for students who seek intensive academic exposure to Ireland's political and social history, contemporary economic issues, and literary heritage. By combining coursework with study outside the classroom, you have the opportunity to discover the rich heritage of Ireland, as well as its contemporary culture through its art, theater, and film.

IES Abroad Scholarships and Financial Aid

As far as we're concerned, financial limitations shouldn't prevent you from studying abroad with us. That's why we offer more than $5 million in scholarships and aid.

$500 - $5,000

All of our classes for the Irish Studies program were taught in the IES Center with the other American students in the program. The teachers are either staff at the center or professors at other universities in the area. They're all brilliant and creative, and I loved attending classes. All of my professors were Irish or had been living in Ireland for many years, so it gives you a different...

Eleanore

Best Semester Ever!

My time abroad (as cliche as it sounds) was one of the greatest experiences of my life. To be completely honest, I was pretty wishy-washy about the whole idea of going abroad for a semester. I figured I would apply for a program, and if I got in and received financial aid then I would go, and if I didn't then I would stay at my University for the semester. I did not feel strongly either way, and looking back now it's a little bit funny to think how ambivalent I was given that my time in Dublin was absolutely life-changing in the best way. I got to study under some of the coolest and most intelligent professors I've ever had. They all care so much about what they teach, and they all have real-life experience with the course content. One of my favorite classes I took was the Service Learning course that IES offers. Once a week I got to volunteer at an after school program for elementary school students and help them do their homework. The program we did it through does so much for the community in that area of the city, and it was amazing to see the impact they have on the kids. It was fun to hang out with the students, and I was able to learn so much from them about the city of Dublin and about the lives of its inhabitants. This class is also where I got to meet some really amazing peers who I consider lifelong friends. The friendships you can develop abroad are so powerful, and they enrich your abroad experience greatly. You can make incredibly deep connections with people in a short span of time abroad due to the nature of your situation. People go abroad to experience new things, so everyone is very open to making friends and everyone wants to support each other during this time. One of the coolest things about being abroad is that you have the opportunity to travel to so many other places than your host country. I loved Ireland so much, and it will always have a special place I my heart, but some of my best memories are of spontaneous weekend trips that I took with my friends. There is such a big world out there, and being abroad made me realize I want to see as much of it as I possibly can.

Be open to trying new things, and try to not say no to new adventures. I think it can be easy to let things like tiredness or nerves ruin new plans, but you are only abroad once! Try to push yourself into doing things you might not usually do. I guarantee you will learn something about yourself.
Hannah

IES was a great fit!

I studied abroad through the IES Abroad Dublin Irish Studies program. I loved this program because it allowed me to have a flexible schedule both within and outside of academics. This program also chooses to take much of the academic process outside of the classroom. Many classes provided opportunities to learn about Irish culture through first hand interaction with the community as well as providing chances to go on educational journeys on the weekends. The program really places a focus on learning through experience rather than standardized tests and quizzes. The Dublin staff is absolutely fantastic. Staff members go the extra mile to help students adjust to their new surroundings and also to feel at home both in the IES Center and the city as a whole. The IES Staff were such an amazing tool while abroad. Staff were happy to help with anything from advice, to recommendations, to academic questions. The staff truly made a huge impact on my time abroad. IES Abroad Dublin also makes a special effort to provide opportunities to get involved with the community. Housing in Binary Hub gives students quick access to the city center as well as nice, private rooms. If I had to do my study abroad ove, I would definitely choose IES Abroad Dublin again.

Marita

I'd go back anyday

The staff at IES are so welcoming and supportive. I loved chatting with all of them about my day. My apartment was clean, modern, and a quick walk to everything (though most of Dublin is). I loved getting to know other students and found that the classes were supportive of my time spent outside of the classroom. The best class was Irish Communal Identity because our instructor took us all around Dublin to teach us the history and culture of the city and how it's changing. I highly recommend doing either an internship or a service learning placement. My time at the Rialto Homework Club was the most beneficial part of my semester. I even had a great time exploring around Ireland. Most day trips are accessible by train or a bus service. The only thing I wish I knew was estimated costs for daily things. Be sure to cook at home whenever you can. Going back home was harder than getting on the plane there!

Autumn

IES Abroad Dublin

My program with IES Dublin was everything I hoped for out of a study abroad experience. The housing that was provided, Binary Hub, was awesome and a short walk to nightlife. I really enjoyed my classes. The teaching team recognized that study abroad is more than just academics and made sure to involve field trips. For example, my professors brought us to looking museums and we did a lot of walking tours throughout Dublin. Within the first couple of weeks I knew how to get around almost all of Dublin. Additionally, the IES staff provided many great suggestions for day or weekend trips. Therefore, if we wanted to save money one weekend there were still things to do around the area. Additionally, a bucket list book was provided for us from previous IES students. Overall I loved my time in Ireland and would highly recommend studying abroad with IES!

This program could be improved by providing housing closer to the IES hub.
John Paul

The Time of My Life!

Going on Summer abroad in Dublin through IES had to be the best decision I've ever made. The school, the staff, and especially the friends I've made over the 45 days all made a great experience that much better. The housing was the perfect distance to and from most paces in Dublin, as well as just being really new and nice to live in. The people are kind and not afraid to have a god laugh over a pint. I never felt rushed to do my school work and visit everything there was to see on the island. Quality education and teachers, quality program and friends for life. I loved every moment. 10/10 would do it over and over again!

Not much in my opinion. Maybe one or two more events between the student guide's particular groups, but that's it!
Brittany

The best decision I made during college

Studying abroad in Dublin with IES was honestly one of the best decisions I have ever made. Dublin was incredible, and IES as a program was phenomenal. From the moment I applied to now, months after my return, IES has been in touch with me and always been there if I needed something. They were very helpful in my search for scholarships, and they are part of the reason I could afford to go on the trip.
This was my first time overseas and I was extremely nervous, but IES calmed my nerves quite a bit by making me as prepared as possible for any situations that may arise. I had a wealth of information about what my housing would be like, what to expect with my program, and who to contact if I needed help. The staff met me at the airport and helped me find a ride back to our housing arrangements.
The housing arrangement for my program was at Binary Hub, an apartment in the Liberties. Binary Hub was wonderful, the staff were very helpful, and I lived very comfortably for my six week program! I also became close friends with my suitemates and we did a lot of our cooking at home.
Dublin was the best city I've ever been to. IES did a great job of acquainting us with the city and the culture during orientation, but we were still given plenty of free time and freedom in general. We were given student guides who were available 24/7 to help us with anything we needed, and all of the IES staff was always friendly and within reach. They truly care about their students and were always looking out for our health and well-being. At one point during my trip, I was seeking physical therapy for my back, and the staff were so attentive to my problem and found me arrangements almost immediately. We had classes Monday-Thursday, and I spent many weekends traveling, something IES Abroad staff encouraged and gave us advice about frequently. We had an online trip-tracker which allowed us to tell our program when we were traveling outside of Dublin, how we were getting there, and where we were staying, that way IES could keep track of us and contact us in case of an emergency.
Overall, the program was an experience I will never forget and will forever be grateful for. I met so many amazing friends while I was there, from my program and from Dublin in general. I highly recommend IES Abroad to anyone who is considering studying abroad, and though I'm biased, I believe the Dublin program is by far the best they have to offer!

I wish I had known my class schedule before arriving in Ireland, to make some weekend travel plans in advance! I also wish I had been able to get in touch with my student guide ahead of time.
Allison

IES Abroad: My Home Away From Home

I am a person that had always wanted to travel and study abroad, but I am also the person that was so homesick I couldn't eat for 3 days after going to college. So making the final decision to go abroad was scary for me but one of the best ones I had ever made.

As I was packing the night before and having a total breakdown about leaving family, friends, a city, and school that I love for 4 months; I look back and know for a fact that 4 months was not nearly enough time.

I completely fell in love with everything about Ireland. The people, the culture, the landscape, EVERYTHING; but the best part about the trip was how much I grew as a person. The most amazing feeling in the world is having the confidence that you can do anything, and that is what IES gave to me. I totally feel that I can take on the world.

I know that I would not have had the incredible experience that I had without IES. IES does the perfect amount of giving you your freedom while being there for you if you need anything. The IES staff on your program truly care about you and treat you like equals. They are just like your friends that you go to when you have questions because they know the area better than you do. I had my confidence that I could take on this experience but it was comforting knowing that there were people there for me if I needed them. I cannot speak more highly of this program and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

I know it is a smaller program, but it would be nice if there were some more classes offered. Otherwise I loved every other aspect of this program!
Sarah

Best semester yet!

My semester with IES was one that I will never forget. I had such an incredible time getting to explore a new country and with the guidance of the IES my adventure was even more meaningful. IES does an excellent job of balancing your life as a student and your life as a world-traveler. As an Irish Studies student I was given the opportunity to study Irish history and culture in depth. I was so excited to learn that this was an option on my program as one of my main reasons for wanting to travel to Ireland was to learn more about my family history. We went on countless field trips to museum and galleries. The best field trip was when we spent the day exploring the northern part of the country as we were studying the complex history of the area. The staff at IES are always planning ways to get you out of the classroom and into real life experiences. Many of my favorite memories of my time abroad was on trips planned by the thoughtful IES staff.
You still have classwork that needs to be done but the staff are not only there to help you academically but to support your adventures. I can’t count how many times my professors at IES helped me to plan a trip or even recommendations of things to do in my host country. From the minute I got off the plane I could feel the support of the IES staff as they met us at the airport, directed us where to go and met up with us as soon as we got settled. I know I was nervous to move to a new place but after a few days of adjusting it truly felt like home!