IES Abroad Dublin - Irish Studies

This program is designed for students who seek intensive academic exposure to Ireland's political and social history, contemporary economic issues, and literary heritage. By combining coursework with study outside the classroom, you have the opportunity to discover the rich heritage of Ireland, as well as its contemporary culture through its art, theater, and film.

Check out this Center for yourself by taking a Virtual Tour at http://www.youvisit.com/tour/iesabroad.

All of our classes for the Irish Studies program were taught in the IES Center with the other American students in the program. The teachers are either staff at the center or professors at other universities in the area. They're all brilliant and creative, and I loved attending classes. All of my professors were Irish or had been living in Ireland for many years, so it gives you a different...

John Paul

The Time of My Life!

Going on Summer abroad in Dublin through IES had to be the best decision I've ever made. The school, the staff, and especially the friends I've made over the 45 days all made a great experience that much better. The housing was the perfect distance to and from most paces in Dublin, as well as just being really new and nice to live in. The people are kind and not afraid to have a god laugh over a pint. I never felt rushed to do my school work and visit everything there was to see on the island. Quality education and teachers, quality program and friends for life. I loved every moment. 10/10 would do it over and over again!

Not much in my opinion. Maybe one or two more events between the student guide's particular groups, but that's it!
Brittany

The best decision I made during college

Studying abroad in Dublin with IES was honestly one of the best decisions I have ever made. Dublin was incredible, and IES as a program was phenomenal. From the moment I applied to now, months after my return, IES has been in touch with me and always been there if I needed something. They were very helpful in my search for scholarships, and they are part of the reason I could afford to go on the trip.
This was my first time overseas and I was extremely nervous, but IES calmed my nerves quite a bit by making me as prepared as possible for any situations that may arise. I had a wealth of information about what my housing would be like, what to expect with my program, and who to contact if I needed help. The staff met me at the airport and helped me find a ride back to our housing arrangements.
The housing arrangement for my program was at Binary Hub, an apartment in the Liberties. Binary Hub was wonderful, the staff were very helpful, and I lived very comfortably for my six week program! I also became close friends with my suitemates and we did a lot of our cooking at home.
Dublin was the best city I've ever been to. IES did a great job of acquainting us with the city and the culture during orientation, but we were still given plenty of free time and freedom in general. We were given student guides who were available 24/7 to help us with anything we needed, and all of the IES staff was always friendly and within reach. They truly care about their students and were always looking out for our health and well-being. At one point during my trip, I was seeking physical therapy for my back, and the staff were so attentive to my problem and found me arrangements almost immediately. We had classes Monday-Thursday, and I spent many weekends traveling, something IES Abroad staff encouraged and gave us advice about frequently. We had an online trip-tracker which allowed us to tell our program when we were traveling outside of Dublin, how we were getting there, and where we were staying, that way IES could keep track of us and contact us in case of an emergency.
Overall, the program was an experience I will never forget and will forever be grateful for. I met so many amazing friends while I was there, from my program and from Dublin in general. I highly recommend IES Abroad to anyone who is considering studying abroad, and though I'm biased, I believe the Dublin program is by far the best they have to offer!

I wish I had known my class schedule before arriving in Ireland, to make some weekend travel plans in advance! I also wish I had been able to get in touch with my student guide ahead of time.
Allison

IES Abroad: My Home Away From Home

I am a person that had always wanted to travel and study abroad, but I am also the person that was so homesick I couldn't eat for 3 days after going to college. So making the final decision to go abroad was scary for me but one of the best ones I had ever made.

As I was packing the night before and having a total breakdown about leaving family, friends, a city, and school that I love for 4 months; I look back and know for a fact that 4 months was not nearly enough time.

I completely fell in love with everything about Ireland. The people, the culture, the landscape, EVERYTHING; but the best part about the trip was how much I grew as a person. The most amazing feeling in the world is having the confidence that you can do anything, and that is what IES gave to me. I totally feel that I can take on the world.

I know that I would not have had the incredible experience that I had without IES. IES does the perfect amount of giving you your freedom while being there for you if you need anything. The IES staff on your program truly care about you and treat you like equals. They are just like your friends that you go to when you have questions because they know the area better than you do. I had my confidence that I could take on this experience but it was comforting knowing that there were people there for me if I needed them. I cannot speak more highly of this program and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

I know it is a smaller program, but it would be nice if there were some more classes offered. Otherwise I loved every other aspect of this program!
Sarah

Best semester yet!

My semester with IES was one that I will never forget. I had such an incredible time getting to explore a new country and with the guidance of the IES my adventure was even more meaningful. IES does an excellent job of balancing your life as a student and your life as a world-traveler. As an Irish Studies student I was given the opportunity to study Irish history and culture in depth. I was so excited to learn that this was an option on my program as one of my main reasons for wanting to travel to Ireland was to learn more about my family history. We went on countless field trips to museum and galleries. The best field trip was when we spent the day exploring the northern part of the country as we were studying the complex history of the area. The staff at IES are always planning ways to get you out of the classroom and into real life experiences. Many of my favorite memories of my time abroad was on trips planned by the thoughtful IES staff.
You still have classwork that needs to be done but the staff are not only there to help you academically but to support your adventures. I can’t count how many times my professors at IES helped me to plan a trip or even recommendations of things to do in my host country. From the minute I got off the plane I could feel the support of the IES staff as they met us at the airport, directed us where to go and met up with us as soon as we got settled. I know I was nervous to move to a new place but after a few days of adjusting it truly felt like home!

Emma

Best semester abroad with IES Irish Studies

My experience studying abroad in Dublin is probably going to be the biggest adventure I ever had in my life. I was really excited about the Irish Studies program because I have always wanted to learn more about the Irish culture so it was a perfect fit. The classes were very interesting and the teachers were so knowledgeable. I am so thankful for the great teachers that I had in the program because they taught me a lot and they were very nice people. In one of my classes, we would take walks around the city of Dublin and the teacher would stop and tell us about Dublin’s history and it’s present day. Being in this program allowed me to be independent but I also had teachers and faculty close by if I ever needed assistance. I loved the way the classes were scheduled because it gave me great opportunities to explore Dublin and to travel to other countries on the weekend. The IES program had many field trips that we could attend which they planned out really well. One of my favorite moments from my abroad experience was cycling through Killarney National Park. It was such a beautiful day and the park was very pretty. The IES program helped me feel more connected to my classmates and to the culture in Dublin. I can’t wait for the day when I can go back to Dublin and relive the great times that I had.

Renee

Fun In Dublin!

I can honestly say I was so happy to choose Dublin. Not only was I surrounded by great people, but an amazing culture as well. It is the perfect size of a city to live and take classes in. It was also very accessible to the airport so I was able to travel a ton too! Abroad is definitely what you make of it but I am so happy I chose Dublin as my city. I experience amazing food, music, conversations and friendships.

I think one improvement was just the area of our housing. We lived in the underdeveloped part of Dublin which although it added a lot of character, it was a little creepy. This was not a huge issue at all but just a recommendation.
Lauren

Staff As Wonderful As the Country

From the moment I walked through arrivals at the airport the staff of IES was completely supportive and comforting. Going to a new country that you will be staying in for an extended period of time is likely to cause some nerves, but the staff did everything they could to replace those nerves with excitement. Staff was waiting for arrivals from flights right outside of the gate and escorted us to taxis with our fellow students. We then would have an orientation that would explain everything from the bus system to what "craic" means. From the first day up until the last they helped us with everything we came to them for, from flights for weekend excursions to which spots in the city to visit. The professors I had in this program are among some of the best I have had in my entire college career. When our program was over, saying goodbye to the staff of the center was just as sad as saying goodbye to the city we had grown to love.

Megan

Why I Call Ireland Home

I went into studying abroad with very few expectations- I truly did not know what to expect! That being said, IES Abroad Dublin blew even my faint preconceived notions out of the water. The growth I was able to experience during the time I lived abroad is unmatched and I would not trade it for anything.
My living experience was a great combination of familiar and foreign. I lived in a beautiful flat in Dublin just outside of City Centre. The two girls I lived with were both from the States and we got along very well! Coming from the suburbs, it was fun to experience urban life in such a vibrant way. I had the opportunity to cook for myself often, as well, which was a nice way to save money. Anything the apartment needs, such as pots and pans, a bathroom mat, or a coat rack, IES pays for! In this living situation, I felt independent, but still cared for and looked after.
Every living arrangement has an RA who has weekly meetings with his or her residents. The meetings are pretty laid back-mostly chatting, and a few logistics of the apartment. The rest of IES staff is extremely helpful, as well. Each instructor truly invests into the students’ personal growth while in Ireland. From relevant readings in class, travel recommendations, various field trips, and hands-on learning experiences, the professors care deeply about making you feel comfortable.
Overall, my IES Dublin experience was one for the books and I truly could not have asked for a smoother study abroad opportunity. After living in Ireland for four months, I would not say I like it. No, with the help of IES I am able to call Ireland home.

Victoria

If you have cold feet about going to Dublin...

If you are considering going abroad and are worried about getting cold feet...GO! It was the most amazing experience of my life, and I grew as a person and learned so much. I was signed up for study abroad and a month before I was set to leave I almost decided not to go. I am so happy I did, and getting out of my comfort zone was just what I needed. Ireland is an outstanding place to study and I can't imagine studying anywhere else. It really felt like home after only a few short weeks. I was there for 12 weeks total, and I cried when I left Dublin. I made so many new friends and memories in that city, and I am considering trying to get a job there so I can live there permanently!

IES did a great job of allowing us to balance school and travel, so it was not stressful to explore while still getting good grades. I loved all of the pubs and the traditional Irish food. The night life is awesome and the city is so urban. There are really great restaurants, bars, and shopping. The Irish culture is prevalent in the city but to get a real taste of the Irish culture you should do some exploring outside of the city. There are day trips by bus to go visit places like the Cliffs of Moher, Blarney Stone, etc. It is really easy to sign up and go! I cannot stress how great this program was enough! If you are considering studying abroad, go with IES and go to Dublin- you won't regret it.

Annie

Studying in Dublin

I couldn't have picked a better program than IES Dublin. The academics were the perfect balance of challenging and interesting but also manageable. The staff at IES tended to all of our needs and were very welcoming. For example, many of our teachers brought treats or served tea during class. The location of the program was great and very close to the center of the city. Additionally, our apartments were very nice and about a four minute walk from the center. I felt very safe the entire time I was in Ireland. The night life and social scene were great! I wish I could do it again.

The only thing that I would change about my program is that I wish I had joined a club at Trinity to meet more Irish students. While I did volunteer and meet people that way, it would have been nice to make more ties within the community.
Grace

Living and learning in Dublin

IES Abroad has been detrimental to my experience thus far as a soon-to-be graduated senior. It helped me grow in so many different ways - emotionally (battling homesickness while finding new friends), physically (all the hikes I went on, calves of steel!), and intellectually (Irish language, history, and literature are all fascinating to learn about). All of the IES Abroad staff were amazing and extremely helpful in acclimating us to Dublin and keeping us aware of the current issues. The professors were equally wonderful, and always went out of their way to help students out.

I will always keep this experience as a cherished one for myself, and I cannot wait to return to Dublin soon.

Taylor

Culture Shock and How to Deal

Studying abroad was the best decision I've ever made for a number of reasons. Most importantly, though, is the way you learn to be yourself - in more ways than just the traditional, first-day-of-school, "coming of age" film kind of way that we've gotten used to hearing about through mainstream media.

It's difficult to explain exactly what's going to happen during that first week or two that you're in a new country. It's a strange little bit of time; you haven't quite gotten into the rhythm of a new city, adjusted to the accents or the slang vocabulary, or felt the pang of homesickness that will inevitably come to you one day later on in the program.

The first two weeks of living somewhere is like being thrown into a swimming pool with your clothes on. It's funny and it feels a little odd, mostly because a part of your brain knows that something isn't right. You're going to find out that it isn't a fanny pack, it's a bum bag. You aren't alright, you're grand. When someone is feeling down or having a rough time, you say "aw, sugar," instead of "honey." Suddenly, everyone uses brown sugar in their coffee and macaroni and cheese is something you only see when your eyes are closed.

The best advice I can give you is to pay attention to the differences. If something doesn't make sense, ask about it. Stow it away to think about later, because by the time the third week rolls by, you're going to be doing all of those things, too. If you keep track of what's different, if you remember what it is that made it hard to get a handle on your new country, it's going to be a lot easier readjusting once you come back home.

Pay attention to them, but don't get stuck. That's what will bring you down. Think of how funny they are and bring up the differences with other people on the program; see what they've noticed that you might have missed.

Don't let the little things that don't quite jive weigh heavy on your homesick heart; instead, make a game of it. Try and pick up on what you can, and don't spend so much time trying to hold on to who you were and what you did before. Studying abroad is going to teach you how to be yourself without being held back by who other people know you to be; the best way to be okay with that is to forget who you knew you were before you left, because it's all going to be different once the trip is over.

I wasn't prepared for the amount of out-of-pocket spending I had to do on this trip. I ended up underestimating how much it would cost to buy souvenirs, groceries, and little weekend trips. It isn't impossible to be frugal and save yourself some cash, but the money is different and you can't always do the conversions off the top of your head. Be aware of what your budget is, and absolutely stick to it as much as you can.
Mason

IES Dublin, Irish Studies

If you're looking for a complete study abroad experience that allows you to immerse yourself in a country's culture, history, and way of life, this is the one for you. This program, through course topics and amazing staff, gave me the opportunity to delve into the essence of Ireland. The staff provided amazing feedback on travel ideas, focussing on the students' overall abroad experience. They were extremely helpful and knowledgeable. I took two of the BEST courses in my academic career on this program in Dublin. They weren't too difficult, but they kept you coming back for more information, which was optimal for students. Also, Ireland is gorgeous and the people are one of a kind. I highly recommend this program.

Rebekah

Delightfully Dublin

I've always had a love for travel, and I knew that I wanted to study abroad as a part of my college experience. I was back and forth between a couple of different programs, and I am so glad that I chose IES Abroad in Dublin. From the moment I walked out of immigration and into the Dublin airport to see the smiling faces of Megan and Regina next to the giant IES sign, I knew that my adventure was going to be absolutely wonderful.
The staff at IES was beyond helpful when it came to coursework, weekend travel around Ireland and other countries, and things to do in Dublin. My apartment was comfortable and within a 15-minute walk from anywhere I wanted to go. IES went above and beyond to make sure that we all had what we needed.
My classes and professors were wonderful and very involved. One of my professors, Stephen, took us to the theatre, walked us through museum exhibits, and took us to some of the best restaurants in Dublin. Every Monday he would start class with, "Where did everyone travel this weekend, and where are you going next weekend?" Midway through class every day, we took a break for tea and pastries-the real Irish experience.
If you're looking for an organization for study abroad, IES is most definitely the way to go. I left a piece of my heart in that beautiful city, and I am so thankful for all that IES did to make my journey phenomenal.

Honestly, my summer with IES was phenomenal. My favorite weekend was the Northern Ireland trip organized by IES. I went to the three excursions they planned, but I would have loved to have more opportunities like this. There were a few evenings where my friends and I had no idea what to do, so we ended up doing things we knew about previously. I wish we could have gotten more ideas from the IES staff of events going on around Dublin that we could have attended.
Gabriella

Emerald Isle changed my life!

I always knew I would study abroad somewhere in Europe—the big question then became where? As I browsed through the IES options (IES being a program that worked well with my homeschool and made transferring my financial aid and grades easy!) the two countries that stood out to me were France and Ireland; France with its romantic language and world renown sites, and Ireland with its charming green hills and classic folklore. I finally decided on Ireland because I heard that the people were friendly and I knew I would appreciate living in an English-speaking nation.
Looking back now, as I sift through thousands of photos during my 14-week adventure, my heart is filled with overwhelming joy and love for the Emerald Isle. I am so thankful I chose Ireland as my study abroad location because it was the perfect environment for me to grow and challenge myself on my own terms. I loved meeting the people in my program, going out for lunch between classes, walking down the canal, which was only a block away from my apartment, and enjoying a pint at the closest pub.
The friendships I made while in Ireland made all the difference—we were a tight knit group who all hung out and shared with each other in a way that I had never experienced before. With the support and advice of the IES Centre staff, who I miss terribly, I was able to journey all over Ireland as well as France, Scotland, and Italy. My housing was perfectly located and had much more space than I ever expected to have in a European apartment.
I feel like a different person than I was before I left for Ireland. I now can confidently manage my way through airports, trains, or any public transport. I can go into a restaurant and order something outside of the box, with excitement and anticipation instead of hesitation. I came to experience and understand the power of true kindness and honesty, and I made some life long friends. Ireland did this to me; it made me let go of much of my social anxiety, allowing me the freedom to be myself without fear. It made me learn to trust my instincts, granting me the power to speak up in any situation. Finally, Ireland gave me the opportunity to recognize what I value most in life—my family and the freedom to explore my curiosities without judgment.

About IES Abroad

IES Abroad offers 140 programs worldwide for college students. We are a highly charged force of study abroad enthusiasts. Every day we have the privilege of witnessing how study abroad changes our students’ lives. We also believe that every student...