The hilltop city of Perugia, located halfway between Rome and Florence, is a quintessential university town, offering scenic art and architecture and historical resonance at every turn. With Etruscan walls, cobblestoned streets, and medieval churches surrounding you, you’ll find yourself in a contemporary, bustling place with visible traces of the past.
The Umbra Institute, located on Perugia’s main piazza, adjacent to the duomo, is the only year-round independent American institute based in Perugia. The Institute maximizes the resources of its surroundings, by infusing community engagement and experiential learning into all of its programming.
As a student at Umbra, you’ll take courses which connect you to the surrounding community and foster a genuine Italian experience, whether you choose subjects with field-study components, an internship, volunteering, or a service learning opportunity.
- Arcadia excursions enhance cultural immersion and provide meaningful context
- Umbra Institute’s carefully designed curriculum offers a variety of options, from direct enrollment in local partner universities, to a focus on field research, an honors track, or a general studies option
- You may take courses in either English or Italian, depending on your level of proficiency
- The hilltop city of Perugia, located halfway between Rome and Florence, is a quintessential university town
- Genuine Italian experiences with community engagement and experiential learning