• Italy
    • Florence
$17,820 USD
Term
Academic Year, Fall, Spring
Architecture Art History Arts Communications Cultural Studies Design Digital Media Film Graphic Design History Interior Design International Relations Liberal Arts Literature Political Science Visual Arts Web Design +7

Program Details

Pricing

$17,820 USD
See website for details. Scholarships available!
What's Included
Accommodation Some Activities Classes Travel Insurance
What's Not Included
Activities Airfare Meals SIM cards Transportation Visa
Jun 03, 2021
Nov 13, 2014

Picture yourself in Florence, birthplace of the Renaissance and a hub for artistic and commercial design!

You'll study with Arcadia at Accademia Italiana Florence, one of the leading fashion design and art schools in Europe. Courses range from graphics to textiles to design and fashion and culture. Your setting is two beautiful renaissance buildings directly across from the famous Pitti Palace in Florence's Oltrarno district, just steps away from the Ponte Vecchio. This unique and innovative program option will excite, motivate, and inspire you at every turn.

Courses are offered in English for students who do not have a background in Italian.

Program Highlights

• Arcadia excursions enhance cultural immersion and provide meaningful context
  • Courses are offered in English
  • One of the leading fashion design and art schools in Europe
  • Situated in two beautiful Renaissance buildings
  • Courses range from fashion and design to art, Italian language, and culture

Emily

Amazing Experience

Studying abroad in Florence, Italy was the best experience in my life. From living so close to the Duomo, being able to walk to my school and experience the culture firsthand was amazing. I felt extremely safe as I would always travel in groups, and the staff provided us with many useful tips on how to get around. I would wake up in the morning, go to the local bakery outside my apartment to get an espresso, walk to school, complete my classes, and walk home and cook dinner with my friends. At night, we would often go out to the clubs. Florence had an amazing social scene. As for school, my teachers all were extremely nice and helpful and seemed to care about they students. I would study abroad again in one second.

The only thing I would change about this program would be the various spread out locations of the living spaces. We all lived very spread out and sometimes it would be hard to meet up if it was late at night and someone lived alone.
Cassandra

Living in Florence

In September of 2013, I landed in Florence and did a full academic year at Accademia Italiana. Being a fashion major, this was an amazing fit for me personally but I was also able to connect with students from a diverse range of concentrations, including graphic design, interior design, and art history. I never realized how fully I had immersed into my life in Italy until a comment from my wonderful Pattern Drafting professor caught my attention. She responded to a request for me to move my seat by saying: "But she always sits there!" Having been there only one semester, I was already a fixture in university life and always found the staff welcoming and helpful.

In addition to their great art and design courses, Accademia Italiana offers Italian language courses to all of its students. I've studied Italian since high school and this was an amazing chance for me to practice
my skills and really dive into learning conversational Italian. Though my speech still isn't perfect, after spending a year in Florence I can understand almost everything I hear, which is a huge improvement from how I was when I landed. Accademia also offers separate weekend trips that are free for students and go to different cities including Rome, Sorrento, Siena, and more; independent travel is also extremely easy to organize.

Summing up an entire year of living in Florence is incredibly hard to do. All in all, Arcadia and Accademia Italiana gave me the opportunity to really establish a life abroad. I was not simply a student going overseas to party and mingle only with other American students, I became a resident in Florence and learned more about the city and its culture than I ever expected and made lasting friendships that are still going strong almost another year later.

Every opportunity is what you make of it, so educating yourself about a host country before going abroad is essential. My only advice is to keep in mind that Accademia Italiana is a renowned design school with locations in Florence and Rome. A simple Google search will tell you this and it probably isn’t the best choice for students outside of the fields of art and design.

Also, though travel within Europe is considerably cheaper than if you were coming from the U.S., traveling across countries is still quite expensive and I found that the idea of taking multiple weekend excursions all over Europe was unrealistic on a student budget.
Casey

Accademia Italiana!

The program at Accademia Italiana, Florence was wonderful. I was a junior in college when I decided to study abroad so I didn't have enough classes available to take a full semester, I did however get to take this shorter two month program. It is shorter than the full semester programs but the staff made sure to pack in so many wonderful experiences. Traveling as a group, and visiting local restaurants and sights, the staff made sure we were safe and having a great time. Since it was a summer program we were allotted a great amount of free time to travel around europe, the staff was always willing to help us arrange trips and give us tips and resources. As an art student with a minor in art history my favorite part was my art history class. Although our class was solely focused on Michelangelo our teacher took the opportunity to take us to a ton of museums and show us all of the important pieces central to florence and italy as a whole. This was a life changing experience I loved every second of it!

I think that I would make the housing situation a little more evenly distributed. I loved my roommates and still stay in contact with them but from talking to others I found that they were all piled in a house and then others only had two roommates compared to seven.
Cella

Fashion School, What?

It could have been simply me just not paying attention earlier, but when I first arrived at Accademia Italiana is when I discovered it was mainly a schoool for fashion. I was the only Illustration student in the school's population as far as I knew, and almost the only one wearing tennis shoes (I felt very out of place!) Regardless of that though, I still enjoyed the classes I took. All the teachers were helpful and enthusiastic, and encouraging. I made few friends because many people were already friends with each other - unlike me, the only person from my university to be attending that school. The school trips were fun, although I wish the Rome trip was more than two days.

If I had to change one thing, I'd change the language courses. They were not organized at all. There were only three available levels and from what I gather of the people in the 101 class it was very sporadic and they didn't learn much grammar at all. I was in the intermediate class which was somewhat more organized, but I think it was lacking in learning vocabulary.