USAC Italy: Reggio Emilia

The Reggio Emilia program is ideal for students interested in studying Italian language, education, communications, and health issues in a charming midsize city in north-central Italy. With fewer than 200,000 inhabitants, and an award-winning University, Reggio Emilia is a perfect location for students looking to immerse themselves in Italian culture away from crowded tourist destinations. This city of Roman origin, where the Italian tricolor flag was born, is rich in history, culture, and tradition.

• Live and study in a charming city known for having one of the highest qualities of life in Italy. Many locals enjoy riding bikes throughout the city as part of a slow-paced lifestyle
  • Enjoy field trips, optional tours, and other opportunities to explore Emilia-Romagna—this culturally and naturally rich and varied region of Italy
  • Truly savor the cuisine of the region—some say the country’s best food! The region is known for parmesan cheese, balsamic vinegar, and more

Alexa

Experience of a Lifetime

I could not have picked a more perfect destination for my study abroad experience. Reggio is a smaller, intimate city in which tourists are uncommon. With its beautiful streets, kind residents, and central location, it is truly a great place to live. I felt safe once I was in the city, but I will admit my apartment had a somewhat sketchy walk from my apartment. I loved that through this program, we had multiple opportunities to bond as a group, including our welcome dinner and a few different excursions around Italy. The train station was only a short walk to get to, and there are truly so many places you can easily get to from Reggio. My favorite memories were going to K2 for gelato, Candor for pizza, and hanging out with my friends at Piazza Fontanese. My life truly changed from this program, as it immersed me into a new culture, pushed me out of my comfort zone, and allowed me to make friends from both Italy and the U.S. Reggio was small enough to feel like a part of the community, but big enough to truly experience all aspects of Italian life. I would recommend taking the cooking class- it was truly one of the best parts of my experience!

My only comments would be providing a little more knowledge about the train system, because it was much more confusing than it was let on. I also was disappointed that I was not given the opportunity to volunteer in an elementary school in Session 1, yet the people in Session 2 were given the opportunity. My last comment would be to warn everyone about a couple weeks before the program ends so that people can prepare to pay for utilities since it was higher than we were initially told.
Cameron

Fantastic

Overall,
USAC Reggio Emilia was everything I could have hoped for while studying abroad. Starting with the USAC Staff in Reggio Emilia, 3 of the nicest, most supportive people I could have hoped for. Housing was great (very nice apartments in close proximity to the school and city center with gated complex for safe living) and the academics were taught very well by accommodating teachers with intercultural backgrounds.

Amanda

Reggio Emilia

My time spent in the lovely and serene city of Reggio Emilia was the ultimate experience with USAC. The staff was always so helpful, and it was because of them and the program that I was able to make the most out of my time spent there. It was like having a home away from home; a second family. They emphasize the student experience, with constant support available, and fun field trips/ activities that allow you to immerse yourself fully in the culture. I met so many new people, and made lifelong friendships through this wonderful program. I've even considered going back for USAC's Verona program!!

I know the program has worked diligently to set high expectations for student housing.