USAC Czech Republic: Prague - Politics, Culture, and the Arts

USAC has partnered up with Charles University to give students a unique study abroad experience in Prague, Czech Republic. Primary studies at Charles University include Politics, Art and Culture, with all courses taught in English.

Prague is well known as one of the most beautiful cities in all of Europe, and in turn the world. It's central location makes traveling to other parts of Europe quite easy, especially to the neighboring countries of Germany, Austria, Slovakia, or Poland.

• Explore the narrow, curved streets, marvelous courtyards, and green patios that make up 30% of downtown—a lovely city for walking
  • Live in a beautiful medieval city, home to the oldest university in Central and Eastern Europe
  • Join an amazing tour to three European capital cities and cultures (Budapest, Bratislava and Vienna)
  • Enjoy easy, inexpensive, and safe travel to nearby European countries

Katrina

Prague with USAC

My experience in Prague was nothing short of life changing. Studying abroad was by far the best decision I ever made, and my time in Prague was the most exciting, rewarding, terrifying, expansive, fun, happy, challenging, and life-affirming period of my life. It has instilled a love of travel within me; it will forever be a huge part of my life.
USAC was truly wonderful. I have no complaints--the staff is helpful, caring, friendly, and fun, I always felt safe and taken care of, our living arrangements were superb, classes were interesting and specific to the region, and traveling outside the country was treated as a priority--we were given Fridays off to make room for weekend trips across the greater Czech Republic and Europe.
Weekend activities were always offered; this gave us great opportunities to bond with our classmates and experience things we never would have without the help of the faculty.
I recommend USAC to anyone looking to study abroad; I truly can not recommend it more highly.

The only thing that was less than completely positive was, occasionally, class size. Since our program only had about 80 students only a few classes were offered, and this occasionally left class sizes relatively large. That being said, classes were still incredibly interesting, and the instructors were phenomenal. The class sizes never impacted their willingness to have personal relationships with each student.
Demi

Study Abroad Prague

Prague was amazing, affordable, unique and fun. With the USAC staff located in Prague, there is 24/7 support for students whether it is an emergency, or you just want to go on a hike and don’t know where. They consistently provide opportunities to explore the city and surrounding natural areas providing many opportunities for adventure. Additionally, they provide crucial info regarding cultural norms such as tipping, acceptable behavior in public, how to use the public transportation, etc. Prague provides a unique experience to live in a true European city that has extremely affordable living as well as food and recreation. With many rivers nearby, hills to explore, and castles to be seen there is always something to do no matter what your hobbies are- Prague has it all!

Better housing. The apartments had limited dishes and were rather spread out throughout the city, sometimes making it hard to easily access other students living in separate apartment buildings.
McKayna

Best expirence of my life!

Going over seas abroad was so scary to me at first. I was very worried that something was going to happen or that i wasn’t going to enjoy myself. I have flight complications getting there and the USAC team communicated with me so well and helped me get everything in order even though i was a day late! The classes were fun and exciting and we went on lots of little walks and trips during class which made my learning expirence much more enjoyable. The housing was ok, the only thing that was kinda of upsetting was that out apartment didn’t have an oven but besides that everything was amazing! I recommend USAC to people who want to study abroad and i was recommended by somone as well. Very good staff very friendly and were always there to help us and make sure we were having the best time we could! Love this program, and i would definitely would go back!

Sarah

Time Well Spent

When I left for the airport on a rainy Detroit day, I had only hope and excitement for what was to come. Having just completed my freshman year and never traveled overseas, I had so much to learn. What would it be like going to a country where I knew absolutely nothing and nobody? Although it was slightly terrifying, it is also precisely why I chose to go to Prague. When it comes to study abroad, I highly recommend going out of your comfort zone. I can honestly say I learned so much not just about a new culture but about myself. I have been left with memories I will carry with me forever. If you've ever talked to someone about their experience studying abroad, I'm sure they've shared similar sentiments with you. What other programs don't have is the USAC Prague team. The people that run the program were another highlight of the trip. They gave tours around the city, showing us the best beer gardens and overlooks along the way (The Letna beer garden is a must *pictured below). They had stories of the recent Velvet Revolution and history that they happily shared. The program itself was a huge part of what made the trip so great. I looked through the classes I would be taking while there. A language course and an architectural history course. I knew I wanted to immerse myself in the culture, or at least know how to order at a restaurant. Learning the ever intriguing and complex Czech language ended up being a huge attribute during my time there for both ordering at restaurants and connecting with locals. If you are looking to widen your knowledge on buildings, culture, or just plain life, do not hesitate. Go to Prague, maybe have a beer or two and enjoy the moment with new friends.

Kyra

Incredible immersion on a budget

On paper, this program didn't look as exciting as some of the bigger study abroad programs, but it turned out to be so much more than I could have ever asked for. Every week USAC staff led cook outs, hikes to castles, kayaking trips, tours, cultural activities, weekends away, a tour of central Europe, and more. There was never a dull moment and I got to explore both Prague and the Czech countryside. I feel like I got know the culture c from local people who are passionate about sharing their lives and culture. The courses were filled with field trips that kept the classes interesting and allowed us to make personal connections with the course material. In my diplomacy course, we visited Prague Castle and met with Czech diplomats. In my Transition from Communism course, we visited Radio Free Europe, Parliament, and other monuments in Prague.
Being in Central Europe was such a unique experience because it is affordable, close to other countries so you can easily visit different countries and cities on short trips, the culture is so vibrant and there is so much to see, do and learn. One of the best and most impactful parts of this program is how knowledgeable and supportive the USAC Prague staff were and I feel very connected to Prague and the Czech Republic.

I would have loved more contact with Czech students. We were in a separate building with only other students from our program and I wish we had taken classes or interacted with local students more.
Sean

The Best Experience You Could Ask For!!!

The Czech Republic was one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. I was completely blessed to study here. The amount of beauty within the city is not comparable, the food, the people, the sites, the history. Everything about Prague was great.
In addition to how beautiful the city is, the price is great too! I was afforded to eat out every single day, with meals usually tallying between $4-8 including drinks! This was a surreal experience for me.
Also the friends I made while abroad are life long friends, we text and keep in contact every time someone travels, seriously I mean it. Friends you make abroad are friends that last a life time!
Let me put it this way, 10/10 EVERYTHING.

The USAC employees did exceptionally well in every category, I learned a little bit of Czech. They made it fun and enjoyable. The metro system was really close to our apartments, the teachers were awesome and really cared. The field trips were great and life opening.
We ice skated on the river, went half across the country on a weekend field trip, hiked up and down mountains, and even saw other countries and beautiful cities all with the help of USAC. I have been through multiple USAC trips, none compare to the Prague faculty.
Tara

Fun and Supportive!

My experience in Prague was great! I was there for six months (Fall semester) studying politics, art, language, and culture. Monday through Thursday, I attended classes taught by Czech professors (in English) with my fellow attendees. On the weekends I went on USAC led hikes and field trips, in and outside of the city. The trip was also super affordable! Prague has a low cost of living and USAC has low fees etc. My only criticism is the level of content in the classes. I feel like I could have handled something slightly more rigorous. I loved learning the language and making friends, both in and outside the program. I'd recommend this program for anyone interested in going to Prague and expanding their world view.

Classes could be more rigorous.
Nicole

Prague- The hidden gem of Europe

Such an amazing location to get to call home for a semester. It was affordable, beautiful and full of so many things to do. My program was incredible. The classes transferred to my home school very well. I only had class two days a week, which gave me time to travel to 19 other countries. This program is very affordable and offers a great deal of programming. We had weekend day trips included (hikes, canoe trips) and those were really fun to go on. I feel like we always had support if we needed it, we lived in a great location and USAC was the perfect way to get to fall in love with Prague. I would do it again for sure.

The only downside to the program was that you aren't in class with other international students, other than Americans. I found ways to get to know the culture, but you need to try since you aren't immersed academically. Also the grading was different than in the U.S- an A wasn't very easy.
Caleb

Greatest time of my life

Jan and the rest of the USAC staff are incredible. The staff spent time leading us on hikes and mountain trips which were incredible and helped understand Czech culture. Prague is a beautiful historic and fun city. Without a doubt, the best time of my life. The Czech Republic is extremely central to the rest of Europe so its easy to get out for the weekend and go around and explore. Would also highly recommend the trip to Vienna and Budapest. Very well instructed.

Lindsey

Czech out the USAC Prague Program

Sorry about the pun, but that is just the first great thing about being in the Czech Republic. This program was one of the most amazing experiences of my life, and I'm sure it will be for you too. The city is absolutely beautiful, full of great food, parks, architecture, easy to use public transportation. The support staff are some of the most fantastic people, Jan and Dasa help make sure everything is going well. I was there for the summer sessions, which meant lots of hikes on the weekends, the Czech countryside is incredibly beautiful. My suggestion is go to the offered excursions they are really fun, informative, and worth your time. One of the best things was the roommates, i was assigned roommates by USAC and we got along super well. Meeting people from all over the U.S. while overseas was also pretty awesome. Prague is also a fairly cheap European city which is fantastic, because eating out doesn't break the bank leaving you more money for weekend travel. It is also easy to get to other countries (like Poland, Austria, Hungry, and Germany) via bus, some of my favorite experiences were these weekend trips.

More information about the living situations and program before hand. But it was great despite going in a little bit blind in many ways.
Janna

Tradinkles

To this day, I recall the time I spent in Prague with the fondest of memories; there was incredible food, friendships that continue today, and misadventures that still make me smile in the middle of a real-life rough day. My claim to fame during my time spent in that amazing city is re-naming an impossible-to-pronounce Czech dessert. Imagine, if you will, a doughy, deep friend, cinnamon-sugar coated roll with chocolate spread all over it. Hard to resist, yeah? Also impossible to say in a language riddled with consonants- trdelnik. But when you constantly crave it, you have to name it so that's exactly what I did- in my group of friends it forever became known as a trandinkle. I would give a lot of money for one here in the states. It makes me smile to remember the day I tried and failed to pronounce it and then tried it for the first time, never to be the same person again. Prague will forever hold a special place in my heart for so many reasons- this is just a small one. I will return one day for that famous dessert.

Megan

USAC Prague Review

I loved studying abroad in Prague. For one thing, it's really cheap to live in Prague and it's so easy to travel. I went somewhere at least every other weekend. And the people who run the program, Jan and Dasa, are really funny and really helpful. It was a fantastic experience.

Something that happened when I studied abroad is I ended up spending most of my time with other American students, rather than getting to know the local people. But, I feel like this is not necessarily a fault of the program. You just have to make yourself do new things!
Aldrin

Say Ahoj to the Best Time of Your Life

As a STEM major, I didn't think I'd ever have the opportunity to study abroad while still graduating on time. Not only was I able to have the amazing opportunity to do so, I was also fortunate enough to do it in one of the most amazing cities ever. Praha is a city with an incredibly rich history and a vibrant culture. I can remember spending many nights walking through the city and just admiring the architecture or going to the numerous bars and enjoying drinks and conversation with my fellow USAC students.

I would have enjoyed more integration with actual Czech students; while I enjoyed all the other USAC students I was with, I didn't have the opportunity to interact with local students there. I went during the summer however, so that might be part of the reason why.
Ashley

Czech It Out

My time in USAC was such a phenomenal experience. Their staff truly cares about the students and did a phenomenal job coming up with field trips for us to attend and other cultural events. I will never forget visiting Kutna Hora- what an experience.
I loved the Czech food but be prepared to gain some weight! There was a ton of history and as long as you stay in certain areas, the city is extremely safe. Try to learn a few Czech phrases before you go as the locals really appreciate it! And don't miss the Easter Marekts

More information ahead of time. I would have liked to familiarize myself with my apartment prior.
Shaina

I recommend it to anyone!

You feel like you're living in a fairy tale with the stoned Charles bridge leading to the castle. The people may keep to themselves a bit, but after a few drinks of their beer that they love so much, they are super friendly. And the prices are unbeatable! Since the Czech Republic is not on the euro, a meal that costs $6 is considered expensive. Don't forget to eat their delicious gulas and trdlenik.

I truly can't think of anything I would change about it.