USAC Czech Republic: Prague

USAC Czech Republic: Prague

USAC has partnered up with Charles University to give students a unique study abroad experience in Prague, Czech Republic. Primary studies at Charles University include Politics, Art and Culture, with all courses taught in English.

Prague is well known as one of the most beautiful cities in all of Europe, and in turn the world. It's central location makes traveling to other parts of Europe quite easy, especially to the neighboring countries of Germany, Austria, Slovakia, or Poland.

• Explore the narrow, curved streets, marvelous courtyards, and green patios that make up 30% of downtown—a lovely city for walking
  • Live in a beautiful medieval city, home to the oldest university in Central and Eastern Europe
  • Join an amazing tour to three European capital cities and cultures (Budapest, Bratislava and Vienna)
  • Enjoy easy, inexpensive, and safe travel to nearby European countries
Europe » Czech Republic » Prague
Women's Studies
Visa Requirement

Caleb
University of Texas- Tyler

Greatest time of my life

Jan and the rest of the USAC staff are incredible. The staff spent time leading us on hikes and mountain trips which were incredible and helped understand Czech culture. Prague is a beautiful historic and fun city. Without a doubt, the best time of my life. The Czech Republic is extremely central to the rest of Europe so its easy to get out for the weekend and go around and explore. Would also highly recommend the trip to Vienna and Budapest. Very well instructed.

Lindsey
University of Idaho

Czech out the USAC Prague Program

Sorry about the pun, but that is just the first great thing about being in the Czech Republic. This program was one of the most amazing experiences of my life, and I'm sure it will be for you too. The city is absolutely beautiful, full of great food, parks, architecture, easy to use public transportation. The support staff are some of the most fantastic people, Jan and Dasa help make sure everything is going well. I was there for the summer sessions, which meant lots of hikes on the weekends, the Czech countryside is incredibly beautiful. My suggestion is go to the offered excursions they are really fun, informative, and worth your time. One of the best things was the roommates, i was assigned roommates by USAC and we got along super well. Meeting people from all over the U.S. while overseas was also pretty awesome. Prague is also a fairly cheap European city which is fantastic, because eating out doesn't break the bank leaving you more money for weekend travel. It is also easy to get to other countries (like Poland, Austria, Hungry, and Germany) via bus, some of my favorite experiences were these weekend trips.

More information about the living situations and program before hand. But it was great despite going in a little bit blind in many ways.

Janna

Tradinkles

To this day, I recall the time I spent in Prague with the fondest of memories; there was incredible food, friendships that continue today, and misadventures that still make me smile in the middle of a real-life rough day. My claim to fame during my time spent in that amazing city is re-naming an impossible-to-pronounce Czech dessert. Imagine, if you will, a doughy, deep friend, cinnamon-sugar coated roll with chocolate spread all over it. Hard to resist, yeah? Also impossible to say in a language riddled with consonants- trdelnik. But when you constantly crave it, you have to name it so that's exactly what I did- in my group of friends it forever became known as a trandinkle. I would give a lot of money for one here in the states. It makes me smile to remember the day I tried and failed to pronounce it and then tried it for the first time, never to be the same person again. Prague will forever hold a special place in my heart for so many reasons- this is just a small one. I will return one day for that famous dessert.

Megan
Reno, NV

USAC Prague Review

I loved studying abroad in Prague. For one thing, it's really cheap to live in Prague and it's so easy to travel. I went somewhere at least every other weekend. And the people who run the program, Jan and Dasa, are really funny and really helpful. It was a fantastic experience.

Something that happened when I studied abroad is I ended up spending most of my time with other American students, rather than getting to know the local people. But, I feel like this is not necessarily a fault of the program. You just have to make yourself do new things!

Aldrin

Say Ahoj to the Best Time of Your Life

As a STEM major, I didn't think I'd ever have the opportunity to study abroad while still graduating on time. Not only was I able to have the amazing opportunity to do so, I was also fortunate enough to do it in one of the most amazing cities ever. Praha is a city with an incredibly rich history and a vibrant culture. I can remember spending many nights walking through the city and just admiring the architecture or going to the numerous bars and enjoying drinks and conversation with my fellow USAC students.

I would have enjoyed more integration with actual Czech students; while I enjoyed all the other USAC students I was with, I didn't have the opportunity to interact with local students there. I went during the summer however, so that might be part of the reason why.

Ashley
Reno, NV

Czech It Out

My time in USAC was such a phenomenal experience. Their staff truly cares about the students and did a phenomenal job coming up with field trips for us to attend and other cultural events. I will never forget visiting Kutna Hora- what an experience.
I loved the Czech food but be prepared to gain some weight! There was a ton of history and as long as you stay in certain areas, the city is extremely safe. Try to learn a few Czech phrases before you go as the locals really appreciate it! And don't miss the Easter Marekts

More information ahead of time. I would have liked to familiarize myself with my apartment prior.

Shaina
University of Nevada Reno

I recommend it to anyone!

You feel like you're living in a fairy tale with the stoned Charles bridge leading to the castle. The people may keep to themselves a bit, but after a few drinks of their beer that they love so much, they are super friendly. And the prices are unbeatable! Since the Czech Republic is not on the euro, a meal that costs $6 is considered expensive. Don't forget to eat their delicious gulas and trdlenik.

I truly can't think of anything I would change about it.

Matt
Springfield, Mo
Missouri State University

The Best City On Earth!

My expectations with USAC-Prague were blown out of the water! The staff and teachers are great. There was a week excursion offered before classes, and it was the best $400 I have ever spent! It took you to 3 countries, and a small town in southern Czech Republic. The excursions during the program were also great. The living accommodations are amazing. I was lucky enough to have my own room at the apartment I was at, but that was not the case at the other location. Overall, if you are looking for a cheaper program that still has all the frills, and a different place to go, this is the program for you. And Prague is an unreal city. Very cheap, so your money will go far.

The classes aren't actually at Charles University. I don't actually think I went to Charles University while I was there. Other than that, there is nothing to complain about.

Cora
Iowa City, Iowa
University of Iowa

Great Experience

The Program director was so incredibly helpful and supportive no matter what problems students had. The planned weekend excursions were lots of fun! Professors are great - we go on lots of field trips to local museums. Celebratory boat cruise to end the trip. More culturally rewarding than other programs. Great night life in Prague!

I would change the location of the school.

B.
Durango, CO
Fort Lewis College

Beautiful City

Living in Prague was a wonderful experience as far as viewing historical architecture and living in a large city. The academics through USAC weren't challenging and I felt like the program was geared more towards people that wanted to show up, party a ton with like minded program participants, and go home. There was a distinct lack of immersion in the local culture due to the program specific education and field trips. Participants lived only with fellow program participants (fellow U.S. college students) and went on field trips with only fellow program participants. It was difficult to immerse oneself in other cultures besides your own.

If housing was with other international students in order to expand the diversity of cultures that a participant is exposed to, the richness of the program would increase greatly.

Emily
Bowling Green, OH
Bowling Green State University

Great Experience

USAC is a great program that truly cares about the well-being of their students. We had lots of field trips that were both free or super cheap. Housing was also super close to the metro and bus station. The staff was also very friendly and it was obvious that they care about their students. I felt comfortable going to our program director and asking questions. The intensive czech course was useful in introducing us to the czech language and learning the basics.

The classes aren't technically on the campus of Charles University and it would have been better to actually interact with local czech students.

Nicole
Stockton, California
California State University- Stanislaus

Prauge is the real Wonderland

Choosing to study abroad was easy, choosing where to study was very difficult. I could not be more thrilled that I chose to study in Prague. The magic of the city never ceases to amaze, and the cities beauty will have you walking endlessly through the sprawling city finding new places to cherish at every turn. USAC provided me with the perfect environment to achieve my goals with my studies as well as to explore and immerse myself in a culture and city that would quickly come to feel like home. The many program arranged field trips are a must to attend and are very well organized and always informative and fun. The housing was perfectly located near city transport and within walking distance to downtown, the Charles Bridge, nightlife, and much more! There is so much to see and experience in Prague that it will be difficult to leave, but when the adventure bug hits the location of the Czech Republic (and Europe's awesome transportation) make it easy to travel to any number of amazing new places. Overall, USAC's program at Charles University in Prague is incredible and provided me with the most amazing experience of my life (so far!).

Niko
Prague, Czech Republic
California State University- Chico

Prague, a treasure hidden in plain sight

Studying abroad in the Czech Republic through USAC has been one of the greatest experiences in my life. Living in a country that isn't in your comfort zone is one of the most rewarding experiences one can conquer in their life. From the habitual daily routine that you start to develop and the businesses that you frequent life starts to take a different shape from what a person is used to, but in no way is it bad or unrewarding. Although there are some challenges with trying to learn a new language and communicating with people who do not speak much English, one learns to communicate and get what you want through other forms and techniques. There are few things that an individual can do in their life that will forever change their course, but studying abroad is one of those things; and I can think of no better place to study abroad than Prague in the Czech Republic.

USAC is a non-profit consortium of U.S. universities that collaborates to offer affordable, academic and authentic study abroad programs. There are abundant opportunities to immerse in the culture, history, and academics of other countries providing an unforgettable experience. Each program is designed to help you