Czech Republic: Prague - Politics, Culture, the Arts

Castle Ruins
Prague Castle
Prague Castle
Classic Subway station
David Cerney's barcode faced babies.
Study Abroad at Charles University in Prague
Study Abroad at Charles University in Prague
Study abroad with USAC in Prague, Czech Republic
Study abroad with USAC in Prague, Czech Republic

USAC has partnered up with Charles University to give students a unique study abroad experience in Prague, Czech Republic. Primary studies at Charles University include Politics, Art and Culture, with all courses taught in English.

Prague is well known as one of the most beautiful cities in all of Europe, and in turn the world. It's central location makes traveling to other parts of Europe quite easy, especially to the neighboring countries of Germany, Austria, Slovakia, or Poland.

• Explore the narrow, curved streets, marvelous courtyards, and green patios that make up 30% of downtown—a lovely city for walking
  • Live in a beautiful medieval city, home to the oldest university in Central and Eastern Europe
  • Join an amazing tour to three European capital cities and cultures (Budapest, Bratislava and Vienna)
  • Enjoy easy, inexpensive, and safe travel to nearby European countries

New Program: Comparative Studies: Uruguay and Cuba Summer Session

Study abroad Summer 2020 for eight weeks, beginning in Montevideo, Uruguay and continuing to La Habana, Cuba, for a comparative Latin studies program ideal for any student and of particular interest to health, gender and Spanish language students.

USAC Scholarships
USAC Scholarships and Financial Aid

USAC awards over $2 million in scholarships and discounts each year to assist students with their study abroad expenses.

$500 - $1,000

Melanie

best decision-- USAC all the way, prague all the way.

Studying in Prague with USAC was absolutely one of the best decisions of my life. The courses were excellent, super interesting and also fun, we went on so many field trips, and the program itself is too so affordable. Would 100% recommend, Prague is a beautiful city, your support staff are amazing and kind people, and the overall experience is one you'll cherish your whole life. The program gives you so many activities and opportunties to really experience czech culture without spending any additional money, it's a really great program.

I would say don't have expectations that you have to travel the whole of Europe to really experience something. Just living in Prague, and being involved in the community you have at your fingertips there through USAC is a wildly rich experience-- don't let it pass you up while you're spending ridiculous many in Paris. Prague is theee best.
Jenna

Choose USAC, I'm Serious

I just returned home from studying in Prague and I would go back in a heartbeat. The central location, program advisors, academics and so much more created the best experience possible. I lived in the apartment PB9 and it had and old feel to it but it was very live-able and great location. USAC gives the option to have a single room for just a little extra money and it was great. The advisors set up so many activities and we all really felt like a family. I only had class on Mondays and Tuesdays which allowed me to travel for the 5 days at a time to other countries. You will not be able to find this quality of a program at this low of a price. The program was separate from the local universities so I did not really get to feel like a local in an academic sense but the housing location helped with that. 10/10 USAC is unbeatable

Appreciate every moment you have abroad!!! Take advantage of every opportunity and cherish your time. It goes by faster than you think!
Sarah

USAC is AWESOME!!

USAC was one of the best experiences of my life! The staff was welcoming and supportive, the location of Prague was incredible, and the opportunities for excursions were endless. We hiked, we toured the city, we went to Vienna and Budapest. I also got to volunteer for an international school, even further enriching my experience. And in class, we took walks through the city to visit the places we learned about in class. I will never forget this experience and I am so grateful to USAC that I was able to study in Prague and have the best semester ever!!

One thing that I will continue to remember about my semester abroad was when we moved my literature class a few hours early and to the Charles Bridge. We watched the sunrise while reading Czech poems. Then we walked to monuments of Czech poets and discussed their lives.

More interaction with Charles University students.
Hailey

The People

While in Prague, I met some of my favorite people. The program staff, fellow students and teachers definitely made my experience so great. The program administration became my Prague parents because they actually cared how were were doing. The younger staff whot joined us on our activites made them more fun and added to the experince. The teachers made the classes interesting and put field trips into the curriculum, I hadn't been on a filed trip since second grade!
Last but not least certainly, my fellow students. It's hard to believe that we all signed up for this semester in this place. I couldn't imagine anyone else to experience Prague with. We were very lucky in that regard.
All of these people have changed my life and will forever be apart of it.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I was really saddened going in that I would not get to travel out of the country during the weekends, but this specific program plans such fun things to do within and outside of the city. I wouldn't have gone in with negative thoughts regarding that.
John

GO TO PRAGUE

Studying abroad in Prague was surreal. The city is absolutely beautiful & culturally rich & along with that, almost everything is cheap. Beers are legit $1< for half a liter at grocery stores.
There are three different apartment buildings. Two of them are in prime location right on top of one of the most central metro stations in the city, and the other apartment is about a 15 minute walk uphill from these two apartments. Overall, the apartments are in a great location right in the heart of the city, walking distance from the most popular clubs, bars, restaurants, and attractions. As for the interior of the apartments, they’re hit or miss. Some flats are nice and some are not so nice, but for the most part they are cozy and easily livable. Big rooms and high ceilings, can’t complain about that.
All of the courses take place at one specific building and you will only be taking classes with the people in the program, so class sizes can vary from 3 people to 30. Some might complain that you don’t get to interact with Czech students, but that’s not an issue as long as you’re socially active. The academics in the program are not very challenging to say the least, but are still very educational. If you pick the right classes you will have absolutely no school work & will be able to travel & party all week.
I can’t emphasize how important it is to make friends with a majority of the program & go out frequently together. Not only is nightlife cheap, but it’s fun. You’ll seriously regret it if you shelter yourself the whole semester. The friendships & bonds made will be well worth it.
I tried to sum up the things most are curious about that aren’t talked about or are hard to find info on, so I hope it helps.
Just don’t be a loser. Have fun. You’re young and only in Prague once.

John

Extremely fun

There are three different apartment buildings. Two of them are in a prime location right on top of one of the most central metro stations in the city, and the other apartment is about a 15-minute walk uphill from these two apartments. Overall, the apartments are in a great location right in the heart of the city, walking distance from the most popular clubs, bars, restaurants, and attractions. As for the interior of the apartments, they’re hit or miss. Some flats are nice and some are not so nice, but for the most part, they are cozy and easily livable. Big rooms and high ceilings, can’t complain about that.

All of the courses take place at one specific building and you will only be taking classes with the people in the program, so class sizes can vary from 3 people to 30. Some might complain that you don’t get to interact with Czech students, but that’s not an issue as long as you’re socially active. The academics in the program are not very challenging, to say the least, but are still very educational. If you pick the right classes you will have absolutely no school work & will be able to travel & party all week.

Just don’t be a loser. Have fun. You’re young and only in Prague once.

Not much needs changing cause everything is great for the most part. The only thing that comes to mind is needing permission from the program and landlord for overnight guests, and then having to pay per guest per night (no one actually does). We’re adults, not twelve.
Rodrigo

USAC WSU

This program was amazing. Extremely friendly and very helpful. The staff would answer any question appropriately and were very kind. It seemed like they wanted us to learn of course, but to really take in the beautiful culture of the Czech Republic. The trips led by the program were fun. Every weekend there were a variety of trips either day or overnight trips. I signed up for the Vienna Budapest tour and I would highly recommend going to that. The cities are amazing, which you should visit, but going with the program felt good to be going with people who knew where to go and having to see the ‘must see’ sights. I went on day trips to hockey games. I also ran a race in the middle of the program and it was one of the most challenging races I have ever done but if I go back to Prague, I will run it again because it was such a great feeling running through the woods and being in touch with nature. Awesome experience.

Letting students choose courses with time availability before the program starts.
Angelique

Life-changing experience!

My time in Prague with USAC was amazing. The food was delicious and affordable, the culture was rich and inviting, and I met so many inspiring people while studying in Prague. USAC had loads of activities to do on the weekends and the program leaders and professors would often come with us, making the program feel like one big happy family. The USAC class sizes were small, which made the courses engaging and conversational.
My time in Prague changed the course of my life. After studying abroad in the spring semester of my freshman year, I switched my major. Living in Prague helped me figure out what I really wanted to do in the future. I highly recommend this beautiful Gothic city to everyone. I miss watching the sunset from a rooftop restaurant or picnics in Petrin Gardens with all of my friends from abroad and I hope anyone who ends up going abroad with USAC to Prague has even more amazing experience.

The housing situation was a little difficult. My apartment complex was pretty far from the school and the other student apartments.
Katrina

Prague with USAC

My experience in Prague was nothing short of life changing. Studying abroad was by far the best decision I ever made, and my time in Prague was the most exciting, rewarding, terrifying, expansive, fun, happy, challenging, and life-affirming period of my life. It has instilled a love of travel within me; it will forever be a huge part of my life.
USAC was truly wonderful. I have no complaints--the staff is helpful, caring, friendly, and fun, I always felt safe and taken care of, our living arrangements were superb, classes were interesting and specific to the region, and traveling outside the country was treated as a priority--we were given Fridays off to make room for weekend trips across the greater Czech Republic and Europe.
Weekend activities were always offered; this gave us great opportunities to bond with our classmates and experience things we never would have without the help of the faculty.
I recommend USAC to anyone looking to study abroad; I truly can not recommend it more highly.

The only thing that was less than completely positive was, occasionally, class size. Since our program only had about 80 students only a few classes were offered, and this occasionally left class sizes relatively large. That being said, classes were still incredibly interesting, and the instructors were phenomenal. The class sizes never impacted their willingness to have personal relationships with each student.
Demi

Study Abroad Prague

Prague was amazing, affordable, unique and fun. With the USAC staff located in Prague, there is 24/7 support for students whether it is an emergency, or you just want to go on a hike and don’t know where. They consistently provide opportunities to explore the city and surrounding natural areas providing many opportunities for adventure. Additionally, they provide crucial info regarding cultural norms such as tipping, acceptable behavior in public, how to use the public transportation, etc. Prague provides a unique experience to live in a true European city that has extremely affordable living as well as food and recreation. With many rivers nearby, hills to explore, and castles to be seen there is always something to do no matter what your hobbies are- Prague has it all!

Better housing. The apartments had limited dishes and were rather spread out throughout the city, sometimes making it hard to easily access other students living in separate apartment buildings.
McKayna

Best expirence of my life!

Going over seas abroad was so scary to me at first. I was very worried that something was going to happen or that i wasn’t going to enjoy myself. I have flight complications getting there and the USAC team communicated with me so well and helped me get everything in order even though i was a day late! The classes were fun and exciting and we went on lots of little walks and trips during class which made my learning expirence much more enjoyable. The housing was ok, the only thing that was kinda of upsetting was that out apartment didn’t have an oven but besides that everything was amazing! I recommend USAC to people who want to study abroad and i was recommended by somone as well. Very good staff very friendly and were always there to help us and make sure we were having the best time we could! Love this program, and i would definitely would go back!

Sarah

Time Well Spent

When I left for the airport on a rainy Detroit day, I had only hope and excitement for what was to come. Having just completed my freshman year and never traveled overseas, I had so much to learn. What would it be like going to a country where I knew absolutely nothing and nobody? Although it was slightly terrifying, it is also precisely why I chose to go to Prague. When it comes to study abroad, I highly recommend going out of your comfort zone. I can honestly say I learned so much not just about a new culture but about myself. I have been left with memories I will carry with me forever. If you've ever talked to someone about their experience studying abroad, I'm sure they've shared similar sentiments with you. What other programs don't have is the USAC Prague team. The people that run the program were another highlight of the trip. They gave tours around the city, showing us the best beer gardens and overlooks along the way (The Letna beer garden is a must *pictured below). They had stories of the recent Velvet Revolution and history that they happily shared. The program itself was a huge part of what made the trip so great. I looked through the classes I would be taking while there. A language course and an architectural history course. I knew I wanted to immerse myself in the culture, or at least know how to order at a restaurant. Learning the ever intriguing and complex Czech language ended up being a huge attribute during my time there for both ordering at restaurants and connecting with locals. If you are looking to widen your knowledge on buildings, culture, or just plain life, do not hesitate. Go to Prague, maybe have a beer or two and enjoy the moment with new friends.

Kyra

Incredible immersion on a budget

On paper, this program didn't look as exciting as some of the bigger study abroad programs, but it turned out to be so much more than I could have ever asked for. Every week USAC staff led cook outs, hikes to castles, kayaking trips, tours, cultural activities, weekends away, a tour of central Europe, and more. There was never a dull moment and I got to explore both Prague and the Czech countryside. I feel like I got know the culture c from local people who are passionate about sharing their lives and culture. The courses were filled with field trips that kept the classes interesting and allowed us to make personal connections with the course material. In my diplomacy course, we visited Prague Castle and met with Czech diplomats. In my Transition from Communism course, we visited Radio Free Europe, Parliament, and other monuments in Prague.
Being in Central Europe was such a unique experience because it is affordable, close to other countries so you can easily visit different countries and cities on short trips, the culture is so vibrant and there is so much to see, do and learn. One of the best and most impactful parts of this program is how knowledgeable and supportive the USAC Prague staff were and I feel very connected to Prague and the Czech Republic.

I would have loved more contact with Czech students. We were in a separate building with only other students from our program and I wish we had taken classes or interacted with local students more.
Sean

The Best Experience You Could Ask For!!!

The Czech Republic was one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. I was completely blessed to study here. The amount of beauty within the city is not comparable, the food, the people, the sites, the history. Everything about Prague was great.
In addition to how beautiful the city is, the price is great too! I was afforded to eat out every single day, with meals usually tallying between $4-8 including drinks! This was a surreal experience for me.
Also the friends I made while abroad are life long friends, we text and keep in contact every time someone travels, seriously I mean it. Friends you make abroad are friends that last a life time!
Let me put it this way, 10/10 EVERYTHING.

The USAC employees did exceptionally well in every category, I learned a little bit of Czech. They made it fun and enjoyable. The metro system was really close to our apartments, the teachers were awesome and really cared. The field trips were great and life opening.
We ice skated on the river, went half across the country on a weekend field trip, hiked up and down mountains, and even saw other countries and beautiful cities all with the help of USAC. I have been through multiple USAC trips, none compare to the Prague faculty.
Tara

Fun and Supportive!

My experience in Prague was great! I was there for six months (Fall semester) studying politics, art, language, and culture. Monday through Thursday, I attended classes taught by Czech professors (in English) with my fellow attendees. On the weekends I went on USAC led hikes and field trips, in and outside of the city. The trip was also super affordable! Prague has a low cost of living and USAC has low fees etc. My only criticism is the level of content in the classes. I feel like I could have handled something slightly more rigorous. I loved learning the language and making friends, both in and outside the program. I'd recommend this program for anyone interested in going to Prague and expanding their world view.

Classes could be more rigorous.