Arabic Language Studies in Amman, Jordan

Ahlan wa sahlan to the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan! Fortify your Arabic language skills with the AMIDEAST Education Abroad program in Amman! Students have the option of taking a rigorous Modern Standard Arabic course and a diverse set of area studies courses. Participants will also hone their skills in the required Jordanian colloquial Arabic course. Organized excursions span exciting locations from the ancient city of Petra to the northern sites of Jerash and Ajloun. Yalla!

All students enroll in Arabic and two or three other courses from offerings in Middle East and North African studies in a variety of disciplines taught in English. In addition to academics, our students benefit from an on-site orientation, opportunity to live with a Jordanian family, structured ways to meet local students, and organized excursions to exciting locations around Jordan. AMIDEAST prioritizes top quality instruction of both recommended Modern Standard Arabic and required Jordanian colloquial Arabic.

• Comprehensive in-country orientation
  • Structured activities to meet local students and engage in language exchange
  • Service-learning course option with placement in a local Jordanian organization
  • Course selections in political science, religion, sociology, women's studies, and history. Students benefit from small class sizes and instruction by highly skilled professors from the Qasid Institute and other Jordanian institutions.

Rob

Living and loving life in Jordan

Studying abroad in Jordan was a great experience. It was amazing to be immersed in a culture that felt so different at first, but gradually became familiar. My host family played a huge part in my experience and really made me feel at home. Through my travels, my studies, and the everyday interactions I had with people, I really felt like I got a sense of the country and gained a perspective that would have been impossible to attain anywhere else. I would definitely recommend the program overall.

Nate

Fall 2014 with AMIDEAST!

My favortite thing about going abroad with AMIDEAST is that I got to stay with a host family. My host family was different than most when my roommate and I learned who our host family was we were told by the AMIDEAST staff that we were going to eat a lot. We did end up eating a lot everyday because we stayed with a family that was three women all around the age of 80 and our host father, so it was like we were living with three grandmothers and we were spoiled like no other. I loved living with them because I had the opportunity to spend time with my host family which mostly comprised of playing chess with my host mother, and watching soap operas after I finished my homework. These were the moments that I cherish the most when I think about my time abroad. I still sometimes talk to them to see how they are doing and they are one of the main reasons why I recommend my friends to study abroad and for them to live with a host family, if given the opportunity.

About AMIDEAST Education Abroad Programs

AMIDEAST was established in 1951 to build bridges of understanding between Americans and the peoples of the Middle East and North Africa. In 2007, AMIDEAST launched its Education Abroad Programs in the Arab World, beginning with a semester program in...