Area and Arabic Language Studies in Amman, Jordan

Learning Traditional Islamic Art with AMIDEAST!
Learning Traditional Islamic Art with AMIDEAST!
Study Abroad in the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan!
Study Abroad in the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan!

Ahlan wa sahlan to the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan! Strengthen your Arabic language skills with the AMIDEAST Education Abroad program in Amman. Students may take a blended Modern Standard and colloquial Arabic course (8 credits), or just Colloquial Jordanian Arabic (3 credits).

Students also enroll in two or three other courses from offerings in Middle East and North African studies in a variety of disciplines taught in English. In addition to academics, our students benefit from an on-site orientation, homestay opportunities, structured ways to meet local students, and organized excursions around Jordan.

Every semester we offer our Community-Based Learning course. This interdisciplinary course aims at strengthening and deepening students' knowledge of the Middle East through direct experience in local organizations and a series of lectures aimed at providing the theoretical framework for studying and interacting with Jordanian society, culture, and politics.

• Comprehensive in-country orientation
  • Structured activities to meet local students and engage in language exchange
  • Service-learning course option with placement in a local Jordanian organization
  • Course selections in political science, religion, sociology, women's studies, and history. Students benefit from small class sizes and instruction by highly skilled professors from the Qasid Institute and other Jordanian institutions.

Rob

Living and loving life in Jordan

Studying abroad in Jordan was a great experience. It was amazing to be immersed in a culture that felt so different at first, but gradually became familiar. My host family played a huge part in my experience and really made me feel at home. Through my travels, my studies, and the everyday interactions I had with people, I really felt like I got a sense of the country and gained a perspective that would have been impossible to attain anywhere else. I would definitely recommend the program overall.

Nate

Fall 2014 with AMIDEAST!

My favortite thing about going abroad with AMIDEAST is that I got to stay with a host family. My host family was different than most when my roommate and I learned who our host family was we were told by the AMIDEAST staff that we were going to eat a lot. We did end up eating a lot everyday because we stayed with a family that was three women all around the age of 80 and our host father, so it was like we were living with three grandmothers and we were spoiled like no other. I loved living with them because I had the opportunity to spend time with my host family which mostly comprised of playing chess with my host mother, and watching soap operas after I finished my homework. These were the moments that I cherish the most when I think about my time abroad. I still sometimes talk to them to see how they are doing and they are one of the main reasons why I recommend my friends to study abroad and for them to live with a host family, if given the opportunity.