• Jordan
Fall, Spring, Summer

Program Details

Apartment Host Family

Pricing

You get more for every dollar when you study abroad with CIEE! Our high-quality programs include tuition, housing, on-site airport pick-up, field trips and cultural activities, 24/7 on-site professional staff, and automatic iNext insurance. There are no hidden charges or surprises when you arrive, and scholarships opportunities are available!
What's Included
Accommodation Some Activities Classes Some Meals Travel Insurance
Jul 14, 2022
Sep 13, 2022
1 traveler is looking at this program

Amman has an ancient history and a diverse, vibrant modernity. It is an accessible, cosmopolitan city with numerous museums, art galleries, theaters, not to mention the delicious variety of Arabic food. With its reputation for security and hospitality, Amman is home to inhabitants from all over the Middle East. The city provides a safe and stable environment for students to learn about the region.

You will have every opportunity to immerse yourself in Jordanian culture. Special guest lectures by government officials, activists, and local experts enrich the academic program. You are encouraged to use your Arabic language skills in everyday settings. This fosters Arabic language proficiency and a better understanding of Jordanian society. CIEE also coordinates a series of local site visits and cultural activities. Our staff will help keep you up to date on local cultural events, such as conferences, films, and concerts.

Courses are available in English and Arabic.

Program Highlights

• CIEE Amman is located in a traditional neighborhood, which allows students plenty of opportunities to interact with local residents and get to know key institutions and sites with ease.
  • Visits to Jordan’s archaeological, historical, and natural wonders.
  • Tours of iconic mosques and museums.
  • Participate in weekly co-curricular activities to develop your Arabic Language skills and understanding of the culture.
  • Elect to do an internship at a local or international NGO or business.

Popular Programs

CIEE Amman Summer Programs

From the maze-like downtown to the many exotic souks, minarets, mosques, and coffeehouses, you’ll get a complete Middle Eastern experience in this unforgettable summer.

Courses are available in English and Arabic.

CIEE Amman Semester Programs

CIEE Amman offers study abroad students a series of specially designed area studies courses that provide an overview of issues relevant to Jordan and the broader Middle East region.

CIEE

CIEE Scholarships and Grants

CIEE’s need-based grants offer support to students who face financial barriers to studying abroad. CIEE awards need-based grants based on students’ EFCs and program selection. The Gilman Go Global Grant offers students $750-$2,000 toward airfare, plus $2,500 toward semester program costs, or $1,000 toward summer program costs.

$500 - $2,500

• 5 rating 87.5%
  • 4 rating 12.5%
  • 3 rating 0%
  • 2 rating 0%
  • 1 rating 0%
Elysse

Amazing Experience in a Unique Location!

Studying abroad in Jordan was an excellent experience to visit a unique region and learn a lot about the politics of the Middle East and the Arabic language! I loved living in Amman, and the support offered by CIEE was a large contributor to that experience. As with any study abroad experience, there is a bit of culture shock when you first arrive, however I found many similarities emerged as I continued throughout the semester.

Studying abroad in Amman is different from the classic Europe study abroad experience. The social life is a bit quieter, but there are plenty of new nightlife experiences to try. The program can be relatively small, but I made some fantastic friends while studying there. Overall, it is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to challenge yourself and push yourself out of your comfort zone. Exploring cafes, traveling to new countries, browsing through the markets (suuks) and finding your favorite sweets shop are all some of the day-to-day activities you may enjoy.

I also participated in the internship program. I worked at the University of Jordan in the Center for Strategic Studies. This was a great option to gain work experience in a foreign country and focus on topics I was interested in—particularly refugee settlement and integration in Jordan.

My favorite experience while studying abroad was spending the night in Wadi Rum. The orange sand in the desert was probably the most beautiful and unique landscape I had ever seen. We went on jeep rides through the sand dunes, hiked up a canyon to a small pool, ate amazing home-cooked food at the camp, and rode camels while the sun set on the evening. Following this trip, we continued down to Petra and saw one of the wonders of the world! I think everyone should check these locations off their bucket list at some point, and having these excursions covered by CIEE was an amazing opportunity.

I highly recommend this abroad experience and cannot wait to return to Amman in the future.

Pros
  • Adventure
  • Language
  • Culture
Cons
  • Small
  • Harder to travel outside of the program
  • Less nightlife
Riya

Solid study abroad program

This is your standard study abroad program with classes and excursions. The academics weren't particularly challenging but nonetheless, I took interesting and informative classes. The excursions and cultural activities were all well planned and I enjoyed all of them. The staff was generally helpful and always supportive. I made lifelong friends and lived with a host family that became my home away from home.

I wish the program was in a larger space, as we had 60 students in one small floor of a building.

One area for improvement would be providing students with a transportation stipend. Transportation in Jordan is really expensive, and it was by far my biggest expense.
Jenny

CIEE in Jordan is the G.O.A.T.

I couldn't recommend CIEE in Amman, Jordan enough, especially to students pursuing degrees in Arabic and/or Political Science. I initially chose CIEE over other programs because of the variety of transferrable classes it offers, the freedom of mobility students have within and beyond Jordan's borders, and the program's emphasis on organizing cultural experiences to better immerse students in the local lifestyle. The program itself not only met my expectations in all of these areas, but the staff and faculty also went above and beyond in their support, administration, and provision of engaging activities offered to students, which was a pleasant surprise. The Arabic professors are the best I've ever had in my three years of studying Arabic, and the relationships I have fostered with both the local and CIEE communities are some I'll retain for life. CIEE Amman knows what they're doing--they aim to serve their students well in every capacity to ensure an unforgettable semester full of personal and language growth.

The proximity of CIEE apartments and certain homestays to the CIEE Study Center. Transportaion costs were high and traffic was awful on a daily basis.
Robert

Coffee, Falafel, and Ancient Ruins

All I can say is, "PACK YOU BAGS!"

My time in Amman with CIEE was amazing. In class, my instructors demonstrated obvious expertise in their subjects, and their teaching styles kept every day as entertaining as it was informative. Outside of class, cooking and mosaic classes, tours of the city, and the trip to Wadi Rum and Petra with CIEE were all incredible.

Beyond CIEE events, Jordan is full of things to see and do. My classmates and I went to Wadi Mujib, the Dead Sea, Mount Nebo, Madaba, and Jerash. We also found tons of shops and restaurants all over Amman where we ate our bodyweight in hummus and falafel. Also, for all of you coffee and tea lovers, the cafes in Amman will not disappoint.

The local people, the culture, the food, and everything in between made for an unforgettable experience. You're going to love Jordan!

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
I tried fried lamb brain. I can't say I will ever want to eat it again, but I can at least check it off of my bucket list!
Emma
Emma

GO TO JORDAN

Amman is one of my favorite cities and the CIEE program here is AMAZING. It is so well planned and thought out and there are so many opportunities - educational, social, athletic, travel, professional, and much more!! They have multiple speakers every week that are very interesting and optional to go to! They have multiple fun events a week - like soccer with Jordanians or dinner with the program. They have multiple day trips offered on weekends for no extra cost. They are very supportive and accessible. All the people who did homestays love their families and the apartments were nice. There are many internship opportunities. Classes are great! I have nothing bad to say.

Read my full story
Colin

A Summer with CIEE: Amman, Jordan

Upon arrival in Amman, Jordan, I felt like I was facing many difficult challenges for my two month study abroad. Besides just the Arabic language, half of the program would occur during the month of Ramadan, and I opted to live with a home stay. However, I was lucky to have had the staff of CIEE to help myself and other students along the way the entire time, and to answer any questions about the program and Jordan in general. They are amazing ambassadors to their country! Although Jordan has many unique and interesting things to offer both for domestic travel and everyday life, I loved spending time at local cafes talking to Jordanians, sipping on Turkish coffee, and occasionally smoking hookah (it is called Argeelah in Jordan). My advice for any study abroad experience across the planet is to go to the country with the mindset of trying to become not an American studying and living in a foreign country, but to attempt to live like a local by finding out where and what locals do with their free time and talking to them.

Fiona

Learning Arabic in Amman

I am so happy that I chose to participate in the CIEE Summer Arabic Language program in Amman. My goal going into the program was to make enough progress to skip Second-Year Standard Arabic and begin my third year in Fall 2017. Through a combination of our intensive Arabic classes and being immersed in an Arabic-speaking city and culture, I was able to reach this goal. My Arabic professor back at home was very impressed with my progress in just one summer, and so was my native Arabic speaking tutor.

At the beginning of my time in Amman, it was difficult to navigate the city and communicate effectively, but this really helped me grow, and by the end, it was much easier and I was able to confidently take public transportation to the places I needed to go. I learned a great deal in Jordan - not just about Arabic, but also about living in another culture, about adapting and being resourceful in unfamiliar circumstances, and about all the similarities and all the differences between us. I was also able to visit many beautiful, interesting and historic places. One of my favorite experiences was visiting Wadi Rum, where we rode camels, witnessed traditional Bedouin cooking practices, and stargazed under the beautiful desert night sky.

I’m so grateful for this opportunity and I believe it will end up being one of the most valuable experiences of my academic career. I hope to return to Jordan soon!

Simon

An incredibly eye-opening experience

I had an awesome time in Amman and would highly recommend CIEE's Diplomacy and Policy Studies program to anyone with a strong motivation to learn Arabic, have meaningful personal and professional experiences abroad, and begin to understand a region so deeply misunderstood by many Americans.

My favorite aspect of the Diplomacy and Policy studies program was the ability to complete high-level coursework in Arabic and Middle Eastern Studies while also working a part-time internship in Amman. Being able to supplement my coursework with work experience was a great way to make meaningful connections with Jordanians and lay the foundation for a professional network which may allow me to return to Jordan after I graduate from college.

I think CIEE struck a good balance between providing students with the support they need to adapt to life in Amman, which is wildly different from life in the US, while also giving us freedom to explore life on our own. The staff was highly competent and truly caring, addressing any issues I had quickly and professionally. Unlike some other programs, we were also given quite a lot of freedom to travel during the program: I was able to visit Lebanon, Israel/Palestine, and Morocco during my study abroad semester, in addition to travelling extensively within Jordan. Instead of forbidding students from travelling outside of Amman independently, as many other study abroad organizations do, CIEE gave us honest and realistic guidance in making our travel plans.

My study abroad semester has been a highlight of my undergraduate years, and I am so glad to have chosen to come to Jordan, a fascinating country that currently faces many economic, social, and political challenges, over a more common study abroad country. CIEE's Diplomacy and Policy Studies program really allowed me to thrive during my time there, and left me with a strong foundation of language skills, cultural competency, and a professional network which I can use to return to the Middle East in the near future.