CIEE Liberal Arts in Guanajuato, Mexico

CIEE Liberal Arts in Guanajuato, Mexico

Expand your Spanish skills, exponentially, and immerse yourself in local culture in one of Mexico’s most beloved cities—Guanajuato.

Through homestays, direct enrolment at a prestigious local university, community service opportunities, and a host of cultural activities and excursions, studying abroad in Mexico offers you an exciting intercultural experience and unique insight into Mexican art, language, literature, and history.

Study abroad in Mexico and you will:

- Enroll in courses alongside Mexican students at the local university

- Take specially designed, socially oriented CIEE courses in migration, literature of the revolution, Mexican history, and language

- Explore the charming and vibrant colonial city of Guanajuato, with its many galleries, alleyways, and cafés—and come to know local life through a homestay

North America » Mexico
Art History
Cultural Studies
Spanish
Letters of Recommendation
Language Requirement
The program fee includes:

- Tuition and housing
- Pre-departure advising and optional on-site airport meet and greet
- Full-time program leadership and support
- Field trips and cultural activities
- CIEE iNext travel card which provides insurance and other travel benefits

CIEE also offers a wide variety of scholarships for participants; see website for details.

Laura
Silver Lake, MI
Hope College

GTO Spring 2015

The great thing about studying abroad in Guanajuato is the community. The program allows you to enroll directly in the local state school and will help you take classes on any one of their campuses. Myself and some of my fellow CIEE students took Chemistry and Biology classes, which allowed me to go abroad without getting behind in my major area of study. The school itself is fabulous, the professors are kind, and if you see them on the street they might ask you to coffee!

The area is great, people were very patient with me as a language learner but did not speak English to me, which I know can be a problem in some study abroad experiences.

I really enjoyed my time in Guanajuato, I got to meet people from all over the world while I was there, and my Spanish was greatly challenged.

Sami
Pawtucket, Rhode Island

A Great Life Decision

My time in Guanajuato was very challenging, but I hold it in high regard and consider my decision to study there one of the best I've made. Mexico pushed me beyond my comfort zone and continuously encouraged me to try new things. It is very easy to make friends with the locals, the CIEE staff is supportive and knowledgeable, and the city is fun and lively. I'm very grateful for my experience and can't wait to go back!

More CIEE trips (maybe two to DF?)

Jacob
Fowlerville, MI
Albion College

I can't wait to go back

My semester in Guanajuato was equal parts challenge, adventure, education and awe. The city is indescribable in its charm, beauty and location. University classes gave me the opportunity to study subjects I'd never breached and meet people from all over Mexico and the world. CIEE's staff, classes and office were like a second home to me - supportive, knowledgeable, friendly and genuinely invested in each of their students. CIEE also gives the opportunity to see Mexico City and Tenochtitlán among other incredible field trips. Living with a local family was as educational as it was fun and heartwarming; I still stay in touch with my host mom, who is a better cook and a warmer person than most anyone I've met. The city is safe, the people are friendly and the country is beautiful. The experience is as impossible to forget as it is to regret and I'll be going back as soon as I can.

The program has everything one could need to make the experience amazing and fulfilling; it's up to the students to take advantage of the program and go a step further.

Julia
New York City

CIEE: Liberal Arts in Guanajuato

I found my experience in Guanajuato through CIEE (pronounced see-yeh in Mexico) to be incredibly rewarding. Guanajuato is a beautiful and vibrant small city and I was warmly welcomed by the university students, my host family, and the CIEE staff. I was glad to discover that the CIEE staff were so personable and helpful, always there to give advice, share experiences, and provide us with opportunities to get to know not only Guanajuato, but the surrounding area as well in a comprehensive and interesting way. With CIEE I learned about local traditions, building an altar for día de los muertos, making corn tortillas at a ranch, and even joining one of the CIEE staff's dance class and performing together! My host family was also very supportive and kind and made me fresh juice and homemade meals every day. Overall, CIEE provided the tools for the truly immersive experience I sought and I am very grateful for choosing this program!

A nonprofit, non-governmental organization, CIEE is the world leader in international study and exchange programs. For 65 years, CIEE has helped thousands of students, professionals, and educators gain the knowledge and skills necessary to live and work in a globally interdependent and culturally diverse world