USAC Netherlands: Maastricht University - Undergraduate Coursework

Study abroad in one of the oldest cities in The Netherlands. Surrounded by low green hills, this historical city is filled with film, music, and theater venues. Study tours are available through Eastern and Central Europe. Students' studies will focus on Europe through art, economics, and history.

Founded in 1976, Maastricht University (MU) was recently ranked the 6th best 'young' university in the world (2015 Times Higher Education) Maastricht University has a decentralized, urban campus that is integrated into the city itself. Courses are held in a variety of historical buildings in the oldest part of the city.

The Maastricht University Center for European Studies incorporates hands-on experiences into its course offerings, facilitating even more travel within and around the local area—be prepared to discuss sustainable business challenges with local entrepreneurs, attend a lecture on Dutch artwork in a local museum.

• Live in a picture-perfect European town situated on the border of the Netherlands, Belgium, and Germany, with a medieval city centre and vibrant local culture
  • During the semester, enjoy included field trips and extracurricular activities, like the 4-day European Study trip to Berlin, the “Get to know the Netherlands” cultural weekend, and the "A Taste of Paris" cultural weekend
  • During the summer, experience Europe both inside and outside the classroom, with the option to earn credit in either a traditional classroom setting and/or a study tour that combines lectures, assignments, and travel to key locations within Europe

James

Great Time

Maastricht was a great place to study, good location and lots of things to do around the city plus easy to get to multiple large airports for travel on weekends. Classes were challenging but not impossible. Very international environment, just in my corridor in the guesthouse I lived with 2 Canadians, 1 Spainiard, 1 Brazilian, 1 Belgian, 1 Austrian, and a Colombian. Maastricht has a lot of good nightlife as well, we never struggled to find something to do.

Jenna

All the Frites

I enjoyed Maastricht because it was a small enough city where I felt safe and could easily bike or walk where I needed to go. Even though I felt bad for not knowing more Dutch, everyone was pretty nice about speaking English to me. I was able to take weekend trips to different places (Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Brussels, Luxembourg, etc) but I still had a comfortable home base in Maastricht. I have a very limited diet so my study abroad experience wasn't as dependent on food as that of some people, but I ate so many frites (French fries) it was kind of crazy. If you can eat food though, Maastricht is home to many Michelin-Star rated restaurants. It is also big for fashion and shopping. I enjoyed the city and my time abroad. I think the living facilities could be renovated but they were still decent. My classes were very interesting and I enjoyed having an international layer to my coursework due to everyone being from different countries.

The housing could be renovated. I also got the return date confused because it just said open return. I didn't realize there was still a day that everyone planned to go home. I had to stay an extra day and that was kind of a hassle, but it worked out.