Arcadia University- University of Otago

Arcadia University- University of Otago

The University of Otago is New Zealand’s oldest university. The high concentration of students endows the city with more cultural and social events than other cities its size. The vast majority of international students live in university-managed flats right off campus. Otago strives to place one Kiwi student in every university flat because those local students are such a great resource for students studying abroad in Dunedin.

Travel to fascinating places of interest that enhance your cultural immersion and give a meaningful context to your academic courses. Excursions may include: Queenstown Weekend, surf lessons, and cycling along the Harbour to Portobello.

Arcadia University opens the doors to new experiences, different academic learning, people, cultures and perspectives so you can build your own lifelong learning and memories. With Arcadia, you can: Enjoy academic success, explore a new world, get to know yourself, rely on us for support, and boost your resume.

Oceania » New Zealand » Dunedin
Oceania » New Zealand
Biochemistry
Ecology
Food Science and Nutrition
Geology
Natural Sciences
See website for details. Scholarships available!
Dunedin

Sarah
Granville Ohio
Denison University

Sweet as

The worst part about this program was leaving when it was over. It was everything you could want and more. Great people, both associated with the program and New Zealanders in general. Truly an amazing country with tons of adventure, unique cultural connections and a laid back life. This program was the best thing to happen to me. They really offer you the chance to get to know the country and become immersed in what it has to offer.

Make it longer.
Better orientation to the city, at first it was hard getting around, but I did enjoy finding my way and understanding the city.

Hannah
University of Otago

Unbelievable

My study abroad experience at University of Otago was incredible; it was hands down the best five months of my entire life. Everyone I met was cool and fun, every weekend we went hiking or camping or just driving to beautiful views, and had a ton of fun with the social life in Dunedin. The program director for Arcadia is like a second, cool mom. Non-stop fun and happiness for an entire semester. Highly recommended!

I would include some of the orientation on the South Island.

Lindsay
University of Otago

Best 4 months of my life!!

I loved the Arcadia program at University of Otago! The staff were incredible. Jane, the program leader, was the sweetest, and most welcoming and accommodating leader anyone could ask for. All the housing is really close to each other, so you will be around other internationals. The commute to school is 5 minutes walking. The campus is beautiful. The location is incredible, 15-20 minutes from the Otago peninsula, which is absolutely stunning. It is also a 3-4 hour roundtrip from some of the most epic and beautiful locations in the world. The city is really fun and full of college students. You can either go out to clubs, bars, or flat parties. Whatever your scene is, you will find it there. The academics were solid. The only negative thing that I have to say is that you will most likely be cold a lot because the housing has no central heating and little to no insulation. You'll be given a space heater though!

I would have loved to go on a boat trip through Doubtful Sound like the Butler program does.

Emily
Occidental College

Life Changing

I remember finally seeing the ocean. Emily, Bonnie, and I had been biking (or more like hiking while walking our bikes) for several hours in an attempt to find a cave on the beach to camp in. Although those hours were tough, similar to the hours it took to get to the magical country of New Zealand, it was totally 100% worth it. The view was magical. The community members in the village on the edge of the water were friendly and greeted us with huge smiles and waves. Once we settled in the cave, we realized that the fire wood was wet and lighting it was not going to happen. So, we sat in the dark - enjoying the sound of the waves crashing on the rocks and the sand while breathing in the freshest air my lungs have ever had the pleasure of experiencing. The morning started by watching the southern hemisphere sunrise which I had yet to experience. Considering the fact that our trip there took longer than expected, we decided to get an early start to our trip back home. Luckily, we found a cafe to stop at for a delicious breakfast, to me, anything would taste better than the bread I had packed for the trip. In an attempt to find a shorter way back, we ask the employees of the cafe for advice back to the university. We decided to go with their advice and turn left instead of right on our way out. The whole ride home was along the peninsula, down hill, going through cute towns along the way. This experience, which took place just 2 weeks into being in Dunedin, made me understand why everyone I know has fallen head over heels in love with New Zealand. The scenery was beautiful. The air was refreshing. Most of all, the people were the kind of human beings I have dreamed about - friendly, caring, happy, and helpful. If the rest of the world could learn something from New Zealand it would be to take life with a grain of salt. There is no need to worry, always find a way to enjoy life, find a reason to smile everyday and the world will smile with you. I can not wait to go back to the land of the long white cloud.

I have nothing negative to say about the school and most aspects of the program. My one wish is that I had better people to live with. Unfortunately, I was in a house with people that did not take advantage of being in New Zealand. These Americans were perfectly happy sitting at home with the television and heater. Although I found many amazing people to travel with, I wish my flatmates had joined me for an adventure one of the weekends.

Maya
Los Angeles, CA
Occidental College

Go Kiwi!

Study abroad in Otago was definitely the highlight of my undergrad experience. Arcadia's program and advisors were super helpful and supportive every step of the way. The combination of great people, a great school, and an amazing country made my semester in NZ unforgettable.

I would have a little more separation from the other international students. It was great to make a bunch of new friends from the US, but going abroad is about meeting people from the host country and sometimes the comfort of fellow ArcadiaNZ got in the way.

Alisha06
Oakland, CA
Museum Studies

NZ's south island FTW

The time I was fortunate enough to spend on the south island of New Zealand through Arcadia University will be with me for the rest of my life. Jane of Arcadia University was all smiles, and gave us an amazing introduction to life in NZ before we landed in Dunedin for the semester.

The sense of community in Dunedin is strong, and they do their best to place you in housing with at least one Kiwi and other students studying abroad. The city itself is super fun and full of young people, good bars and very walk-able. You could hang out only with Americans all semester, or you could make new friends from other countries. It was quite a "choose your own adventure" experience

The tramping is top notch and one should be sure not to stay in town every weekend, just a short drive away is Milford Sound, The Fiordlands, Te Anau, the list goes on.

NZ has a piece of my heart, and I could not think of a better place to study abroad during college.

moretownmac
San Francisco, CA
Museum Studies

Dunedin makes for an excellent study abroad experience

Arcadia staff (especially Jane) made orientation and Arcadia's organized trips some of the most fun I've ever had. Our group was great and the stuff we did together made for many lasting friendships. I didn't find Otago's academics to be very challenging but I'm of the mindset that most study abroad programs are at least as much about the cultural experience as the academics and I'm sure that I could have picked harder classes. Dunedin is definitely a party town and the Kiwis are crazy but in a good and very friendly way. Living with Kiwi roommates in a "flat" (which was actually a sweet house) definitely made the experience. I highly recommend this program and Dunedin in general.

Students from colleges and universities throughout the U.S. study abroad with Arcadia University through The College of Global Studies, the first college of its kind in the U.S. With over 130 programs in 12 countries, we offer a wide range of programs in many study