HECUA Semester: The New Norway

HECUA Semester: The New Norway

Norway is known for its highly developed welfare state, immense oil and gas wealth, and global leadership on human rights. Underneath its idyllic surface, however, the Norwegian state is struggling to adapt to its changing population.

The New Norway program focuses on the social, cultural and political effects of mass immigration, and examines attempts to engage new Norwegians who have come to the country as work migrants, asylum seekers and refugees.

Classroom time is shared with local researchers, community organizers, and government officials who are shaping policy and making change with regard to integration and inclusion. Students learn about these issues first-hand by interning four to six hours per week at service organizations, NGOs, and political groups.

Europe » Norway » Oslo
Europe » Norway
Art History
European Studies
Global Studies
Letters of Recommendation
The program fee covers group transportation to field sites, planned group excursions, lodging, meals, local transportation, medical insurance, and administrative costs.
Oslo

Elika
Minneapolis, MN
Carleton College

Semester in Oslo

On the New Norway program we spent a lot of time exploring the city of Oslo. Oslo has great public transportation so it was super easy to get around at all times of the day. While the weather was nice we would go up to a lake just up the T-Bane (metro) from our student housing and hangout and swim. We also went out to an island to explore and swim in the Fjord. Becoming familiar with the city was also made easier by how incorporated outings were in our classes. We visited museums and walked around different parts of the city in the HECUA interactive classroom.

The one draw back of the New Norway program is that it can be hard to meet Norwegians (the student housing is with other international students and the classes are with students from the U.S.). While I was in Norway I got a gym membership so that I could swim regularly. Every time I would go to the gym people would approach me and start speaking in Norwegian, which I couldn't understand, but it would always spark a conversation and was one way that I would meet and talk to Norwegians.

Emma
Lexington, KY
Denison University

Jump On In!

This program helped to carve out my passions and love for new experiences and foreign territory, both personal and academic. Through external and internal research, I was able to discover my strengths, weaknesses, and gain a better understanding of what I would like to achieve in the remainder of my time in college and beyond.
My fondest memory of The New Norway program was one of the first weeks we were settled. The six of us were still a little uncomfortable with each other, so in the interest of getting to know each other better, we decided to take advantage of the fading summer weather and go to Sognsvann to play in the lake. The water was so cold but we all jumped in and swam out to the floating dock where we sat and chatted with each other for hours. Once swimming back and drying off, we decided to have a meal together to continue our bonding. After this day we became a close-knit family that could always count on each other.
I could not recommend this program highly enough to anyone who's interested. It's truly a life-changing experience.

The provisions set in place before the program could use a bit more attention (i.e. food stipends, information regarding the mailing system).

HECUA (Higher Education Consortium for Urban Affairs) is an NPO comprised of 22 different liberal arts colleges, universities and associations, all of which are dedicated to education for social justice, offering study abroad programs that address pressing issues in various nations and neighborhoods around the