Peace Education and the SDGs in Latin America

Youth for the SDGs programs average two weeks in length and visit three to five countries and focus on SDGs related to climate and, development.

Activities include:
- Presentations by guest educators from the countries visited as well as Peace Boat staff.
- Special workshops for Youth for the SDGs program participants focusing on media engagement, networking, advocacy, policy, and other key skill sets necessary for their work.
- Each participant gives presentations and workshops to the onboard community about the issues each faces in their respective communities and countries, and their work to address the issues.
- Cultural activities and integration in the larger onboard community.

Expected outcomes for participants is to gain a better understanding of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and deepen understanding of sustainable development and the various stakeholders involved, including government agencies, IGOs and NGO.

• SDG Study Program and “Youth for SDGs” Scholarship

Mina

Latin America - Summer 2017

The Latin American voyage from Panama to El Salvador in the summer of 2017 was an incredible experience for me. The program helped me gain an understanding of several cultures very different from my own. We had the opportunity to eat the local cuisine, explore the area, and interact with the people while learning about the efforts of these regions to achieve the United Nation’s 17 sustainable development goals. Getting to see and speak to the people was what I found most meaningful. You get the opportunity to hear their stories as they impart their wisdom to you. It can be rather eye-opening at times to talk to people my age who have a very different life. This program gives you the chance to get to talk and get to know some of the locals. It was a great opportunity and all the participants were wonderful people to spend time with as well.

Javier

5 reasons why I loved Peace Boat

1) I travelled with a purpose: discovering places, meeting new people from different backgrounds, in places that just being tourist would not happen.

2) In this world, every world fits: our travel was in Latin America, but onboard you meet many different cultures from many different countries.

3) My "country" doesn't define me: I had my culture, but after meeting other places on Peace Boat, I took and learned other people's great characteristic and make it mine, to be able to build my own personality, you also discover that onboard we are all seeking the same "peace and understanding"

4) You have fun in an academical programme: this programme is supported by an academical background, which after having so much fun you realise that it looks great on your CV.

5) PEOPLE AND SEA!

Talia

Valuable Experience, Expanded Perspective

Overall, I had a very meaningful experience with Peace Boat during the Peace Education and the SDGs in Latin America. I was very glad that the group got to see both the municipal and the traditional sides of the places we visited. The overnight stay we had with the Embera indigenous community of Panama was absolutely amazing, very rich culture and very kind, genuinely joyful people. Life on the boat also offered many opportunities to see various lectures and attend programs, though I wish our stay on the boat was more longer and more immersive, though I do understand we had a tight and very full itinerary. Hope you consider Peace Boat!