Peace Education and the SDGs in Latin America

“Youth for the SDGs” Peace Boat 100th Voyage Scholarship

Join us for our experiential study program “Peace Education and the SDGs in South America,” taking place February 18-28, 2019 during Peace Boat’s 100th Voyage, sailing from Ushuaia, Argentina to Valparaiso, Chile. Peace Boat US is providing two full scholarships (program fee and travel expenses) and a limited number of partial scholarships under the “Youth for the SDGs” theme.

Travel in Central America and Mexico with the Peace Boat and learn about the UN SDGs in an experiential study program “Peace Education and the SDGs in Latin America”, taking place July 20-August 3, 2018 during Peace Boat’s 98th Voyage, visiting Panama, Costa Rica, and Mexico.
In 2015, 193 UN member states came together to define 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to shape the global agenda for sustainable development in the next fifteen years and beyond. Peace Boat has made promoting and advancing the UN SDGs a key part of its mission.
This program is for students, activists, and lifelong learners of all ages, backgrounds, and nationalities who are currently or previously involved in SDG-related activities or have a strong desire to learn about sustainable development.

• SDG Study Program and “Youth for SDGs” Scholarship

Mina

Latin America - Summer 2017

The Latin American voyage from Panama to El Salvador in the summer of 2017 was an incredible experience for me. The program helped me gain an understanding of several cultures very different from my own. We had the opportunity to eat the local cuisine, explore the area, and interact with the people while learning about the efforts of these regions to achieve the United Nation’s 17 sustainable development goals. Getting to see and speak to the people was what I found most meaningful. You get the opportunity to hear their stories as they impart their wisdom to you. It can be rather eye-opening at times to talk to people my age who have a very different life. This program gives you the chance to get to talk and get to know some of the locals. It was a great opportunity and all the participants were wonderful people to spend time with as well.

Javier

5 reasons why I loved Peace Boat

1) I travelled with a purpose: discovering places, meeting new people from different backgrounds, in places that just being tourist would not happen.

2) In this world, every world fits: our travel was in Latin America, but onboard you meet many different cultures from many different countries.

3) My "country" doesn't define me: I had my culture, but after meeting other places on Peace Boat, I took and learned other people's great characteristic and make it mine, to be able to build my own personality, you also discover that onboard we are all seeking the same "peace and understanding"

4) You have fun in an academical programme: this programme is supported by an academical background, which after having so much fun you realise that it looks great on your CV.

5) PEOPLE AND SEA!

Talia

Valuable Experience, Expanded Perspective

Overall, I had a very meaningful experience with Peace Boat during the Peace Education and the SDGs in Latin America. I was very glad that the group got to see both the municipal and the traditional sides of the places we visited. The overnight stay we had with the Embera indigenous community of Panama was absolutely amazing, very rich culture and very kind, genuinely joyful people. Life on the boat also offered many opportunities to see various lectures and attend programs, though I wish our stay on the boat was more longer and more immersive, though I do understand we had a tight and very full itinerary. Hope you consider Peace Boat!

About Peace Boat

Travel, learn and experience the world with us!

Peace Boat is an International NGO working to promote peace, human rights, equal and sustainable development and respect for the environment through the organization of global educational programmes,...