New Program: Comparative Studies: Uruguay and Cuba Summer Session

Study abroad Summer 2020 for eight weeks, beginning in Montevideo, Uruguay and continuing to La Habana, Cuba, for a comparative Latin studies program ideal for any student and of particular interest to health, gender and Spanish language students.

Poland: Kraków - Business, European and Holocaust Studies

Study abroad with USAC in Kraków, Poland.

The program focuses on the history and modern economy of Poland with courses in Jewish studies, Central European studies, economics, politics, and Polish language.
The program is based at the University of Economics in Kraków, Poland. Kraków is very much a student city with over 30 universities and thousands of international students from all over the world studying there.

In addition to classes, many course-related field trips are organized throughout the term to enhance your learning, such as museums, castles, and business visits. There will also be extracurricular activities organized that you may participate in on-campus or in the community, as well as internship opportunities.

• Kraków, similar in atmosphere, architecture, and cost of living, rivals Prague (only five hours away) for prettiest and friendliest medieval city in Europe.
  • Kraków is known as the leading center of academic, cultural, economic, and artistic life in Poland, with its greatest highlights being the outstanding architectural monuments visible on almost every street.
  • Learn about historical and modern day Poland with courses in religious and European studies that will be complemented by field trips and tours outside of the classroom to places such as the Auschwitz concentration camp and Oskar Schindler's Factory.
  • Walk the streets of Kazimierz, the former Jewish quarter that accommodated more Jewish residents than any other city in Europe, where old synagogues stand side-by-side with bars, clubs, restaurants, and cafes on the now-lively streets.
  • You’ll find a wide array of things to do in Poland, from cycling, hiking, sailing, and canoeing for the outdoor enthusiast to the 14 unique UNESCO World Heritage sites in addition to many churches, castles, museums, theatres, and galleries for those who w

USAC Scholarships
USAC Scholarships and Financial Aid

USAC awards over $2 million in scholarships and discounts each year to assist students with their study abroad expenses.

$500 - $1,000

Brittany

Studying Abroad in Krakow, Poland

Studying in Kraków, Poland was an amazing experience. I was able to study Poland's deep history with some of the best professors Cracow University of Economics has to offer. Small class sizes with other USAC students was a great learning environment and allowed me to do well in my classes. Cracow University of Economics was a great school, with a beautiful campus, and welcoming students. Field trips to Auschwitz, Kaimierz, and Schindler's factory allowed me to have hands on learning that not many people get to experience. The on-site Resident directors offered a lot of support and made the adjustment to a different country a lot easier. Spending the weekends in Kraków consisted of: live music, cultural festivals, and lots of eating! Kraków is the most beautiful city that Europe has to offer and I cannot wait to go back!

My advice to future travelers on this program is to take it all in and really try to understand the rich history of Poland.
Shelby
No, I don't recommend this program

Choose Another Program

Do yourself a favor and do NOT spend your money on this program. I wish I could go back and tell myself that before I made the mistake of selecting this program. The organization and academics of this program are a literal disaster and something you should steer clear of. USAC should be embarrassed at the level of quality this program has.
Krakow is an amazing place, but USAC made it impossible to enjoy because of how little they did to ensure the program's success. Classes and professors weren't clear on expectations and the syllabi that USAC makes the professors create are not followed. There are barely any resources to do papers and research because there are no resources in English. The on-site staff had little to no involvement after the first week. The USAC website lies about what is included in program fees, as we did not ever go to Zakopane or the Tatra Mountains. The Vienna and Budapest trip was the biggest waste of $400, as the USAC website also lied about what we would be doing on that trip (you only go to art museums and USAC only pays for hotels, nothing else).
We were not immersed in local culture because, as USAC so graciously leaves out, we only took classes with the people in the USAC program (12 people for my semester). They did not introduce us to any local students or mentors when we got there, and we found ourselves feeling very lost and left out in the cold. The staff was hard to reach and did not seem to care about our experience until all of us complained to higher-ups in the organization.
I 100% regret my decision of choosing a USAC study abroad program and would not recommend them to anyone.

USAC should not have allowed students to sign up for this program until they had thoroughly worked out all of the kinks. The professors clearly only thought of us as another paycheck and were rude and unprofessional to us. There was an immense amount of false advertising on the USAC website about the program and what all was included. Academic expectations were unclear and unrealistic, as we were required to write 10 page papers for every class while having barely any resources available to us in English.
This program needs a complete overhaul in order to be worth anyone's time and money. Course curriculum needs to be vetted, professors need to be checked for professionalism and not be people who will talk down to students and insult their intelligence, the website needs to be truthful about what is included, polish student mentors should be assigned to help with the transition and make the experience better, and the expectations need to be clearly and accurately defined for everyone involved.
Response from USAC

Thank you for sharing your experience in Poland. We are aware of the challenges that occurred during your study abroad term and have worked with our on-site staff to make changes to the courses, professors, and program based on your feedback and other feedback from the group. We always appreciate student feedback. If you'd like to discuss anything further, you can reach us at [email protected]

Anna

An Underrated Corner of Europe

In my opinion, Poland is one of the most underrated countries in Europe. Granted, I have Polish heritage, so I might be biased, but anyone who's visited knows how special this place is.

As a young woman, I truly felt safe in the city, though of course normal precautions should be taken.

The Cracow University of Economics is a great place to build your resume and learn more about international business. Honestly, I didn't have a great understanding of the European Union, but the combination of learning about and living in the EU gave deeper meaning to the international conversations that have been going on.

If you're into outdoor adventures, there are some great hikes and parks around the city - you could also hop on a short train ride and be in the Tatra Mountains. If you're more into quiet museums, art, and coffee shops, Krakow can oblige you, too. Krakow indisputably is the heart of Polish history and heritage, and you can see it in every corner of the city. There is no limit to your exploration; I spent four months there during this program, and I know I barely scratched the surface of the deep beauty ingrained in everything you see.

- Take your time getting to know the area.
- Quality over quantity.
- Don't be afraid to have a life-changing experience, even though it just seems like a study abroad cliche (I was amazed at how many study abroad cliches were true!).
- Build genuine connections with the people around you (and that doesn't mean trying to be everyone's best friend). Just be yourself and accept people where they are, too.
- Keep in touch with people -- it'll lessen your culture shock/make you feel less alone. That goes for your journey abroad & your journey home.