IPSL Graduate Programs: Community Organizing, Social Activism, International Development and Service

COSA (Community Organizing and Social Activism) and IDS (International Development and Service) are IPSL's two International Graduate Programs. Each is designed to meet the international demand for ethical leaders who can effectively engage and facilitate partnerships and empower communities. Students are prepared for careers with nonprofit, government, and community development organizations through an interdisciplinary program that combines rigorous academic training with hands-on skill development through volunteer service in several countries.

COSA and IDS are approximately one calendar year (4 terms). Cohorts begin in September (Fall cohort), January (Winter cohort), April (Spring cohort), or July (Summer cohort). Students who pursue the IDS program take specific courses in development theory. IPSL offers these graduate programs in a hybrid online-on site-or both format. Please contact IPSL for further details.

Program Highlights
  • Hands-on volunteer service lies at the heart of IPSL's pedagogy. Students in our programs perform 10-15 hours of required volunteer service per week during each of the terms abroad.
  • IPSL students work in a variety of settings and students can choose their own agency (or multiple agencies) according to their interests.
  • Your compassion, imagination, and hard work will benefit vulnerable populations and organizations in need.
  • IPSL graduates pursue prosperous careers that fulfill their most noble values. You, too, will learn to communicate with diverse cultures, resolve conflict diplomatically, and bridge social, racial, and economic gaps with skill.
  • The IPSL collaborative graduate programs are unique in the world. As you look to begin your career, your résumé and experience will help you stand out for career-track positions.
IPSL is a registered Social Benefit Organization that is committed to its mission and dedicated to promoting an ethic of service. We invest over 83% of our revenues directly back into the communities where we serve.

Brenda

The Grassroots Study Abroad Program that Changed My Life!

I cannot speak highly enough of my experience with IPSL Global Institute and the positive impact it has had on the trajectory of my life since participating in their study abroad program in the Fall of 2019.

My circumstances were rather non-traditional, working full-time in Chicago with one semester left of my master's degree. Despite the many obstacles that presented themselves (one being that I was the very first graduate student at my university to study abroad, so we literally had to pave the way), IPSL was there every step of the way; to answer all of my questions and cater a program *perfect* for me!

Finishing my master's degree in Greece with IPSL was the experience of a lifetime. My program director and professor there guided me throughout my trip and made me feel like family. I had opportunities to explore outside of the city including Mount Olympus and was connected with local organizations serving vulnerable populations. Through them, I coordinated and taught Trauma Recovery Yoga classes to children experiencing homelessness and refugees in a camp outside of the city.

Besides being incredibly responsive, intuitive and knowledgeable, the staff at IPSL took the time to get to know me and what I truly hoped to get out of this experience. I've since learned the extent to which they connect with their community partners and genuinely care for invest in the communities their participants are serving.

It was genuinely one of the most fulfilling experiences of my life, and it wouldn't have been possible without the staff at IPSL genuinely striving to "make my dreams come true," as they do for each student that joins their programs.

If you're ready to make the world your classroom and gain life skills in expansive, thrilling ways, IPSL is the grassroots organization that can help you do just that!

What was your funniest moment?
There were many (!) joyous moments of connection and discovery whilst teaching English classes to unaccompanied minors in a refugee camp outside the city. Additionally, while teaching Trauma Recovery Yoga to children in a homeless shelter, the kids never ceased to do and say the funniest things!