IES Abroad Cape Town – Health, Culture & Development

Southern Africa is a rich, vibrant region and has become one of the world’s fastest growing economic zones despite facing challenges of poverty, disease, and economic imbalance. Its burgeoning economy, youthful population, ecological and ethnic diversity, and evolving politics make the continent an increasingly important player in the world of the 21st century. Cape Town’s idyllic setting on the South African coast makes it the perfect base from which to study this fascinating region, and IES Abroad's Health, Culture & Development Program is designed to offer insight into the complexity and breadth of the contemporary issues facing the southern part of this continent.
You have the opportunity to take specially designed courses with other IES Abroad students in a variety of disciplines. These English-taught IES Abroad courses were created with a comparative and interrelated curricular focus in order to help you learn more about South Africa and its neighboring countries.

IES Abroad Scholarships and Financial Aid

As far as we're concerned, financial limitations shouldn't prevent you from studying abroad with us. That's why we offer more than $5 million in scholarships and aid.

$500 - $5,000

Michaela

Best Semester in Cape Town!

This program is absolutely amazing! It is focused on experiential learning which was so invaluable. We visited hospitals, clinics, and social justice organizations on a weekly basis in addition to our courses. We had two larger trips during the semester that led us all around southern Africa. I felt so immersed and exposed to reality of Cape Town. The courses were community health-based and I could not speak more highly about the staff. It truly felt like a family in such a tight-knit program.

Great organization in the most beautiful place in the world!

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
In Eswatini we got to attend the Reed Dance Festival which is an annual event for young Zulu girls presenting themselves to the King. It was beautiful, humbling, and inspiring. Truly a once in a lifetime opportunity!
Allison

Incredible experience and tons of unique opportunities with IES Cape Town

The city, school, and program completely exceeded my expectations and I could not have asked for a better semester. If I hadn’t been a senior, I would’ve extended my time in Cape Town for a second semester. The IES Cape Town staff went above and beyond for their students. They planned several fun activities and field trips throughout the entire semester so we were really able to experience everything. The RAs were also extremely helpful and involved. They showed us around the school, helped us set up our phones, schedule doctors appointments, etc. Cape Town is the perfect city for study abroad because there are so many different things to do and see.