Marine Science Research Program

COVID-19 Program Updates

Due to global health & safety concerns and travel restrictions related to the coronavirus, Evolve Abroad has decided to offer flexible booking options for some of their upcoming programs. Learn more about COVID-19 updates to stay tuned regarding program information.

This particular marine science course specializes in training courses for individuals who want to learn more about the marine environment, conservation and research through hands-on field experience and community engagement. This blended course includes training in multiple data collection and field techniques, and scientifically contributes to our long term research goals with the University of Birmingham.

The unique ecosystem surrounding Cape Town and its role in creating an amazing biodiversity hot-spot is a perfect place to gain a wide overview of marine experience.

• Marine Field Course Modules with a Marine Science Specialist as your Mentor.
  • Career and networking workshops with Marine Biologists, experience alongside local specialists on a range of scientific research projects.
  • Sailing Introductions in and around the Cape and Marine Litter Research on our local collaborators Research Vessel.
  • Workshops, training and experience in local terrestrial human-wildlife conflict which affect the Cape Peninsula.
  • Contribution to 100 Plastic River’s research project in collaboration with the University of Birmingham.

Tiana

An Incredibly Unique Experience

What Evolve Abroad has made possible, what I have learned and experienced, the people I have met and the friendships I was able to make in just 3 weeks, I could have never found anywhere else. The Marine Science Research Program allowed me to fully immerse myself into anything related to marine biology and marine conservation by being a program fully individualized based on my interest, experience and willingness to challenge myself. I got a chance to work with many people from many different local NGOs such as Anchor Environmental, Cape RADD or Sea The Bigger Picture, learn from them and take advice from them being it related to free-diving, community work, scientific sampling and evaluation, citizen science or life in general. I got a chance to teach pre-school kids about the ocean and plastic pollution and sampled beaches for microplastic. This program did not just allow me to get a glimpse of the complexity of marine biology and conservation but has allowed me to be part of every single aspect of it. Simultaneously exploring the Cape Peninsula, hiking up Table Mountain, visiting the Penguins of Simons Town or simply drinking Rooibos Tea while watching the sunset, had left me with an unforgettable experience that was way beyond anything I could have imagined.

Be open-minded and soak it all in, every smile, every taste, every view and every moment. You won't ever find another experience like it, so you better just try it all and I tell you, you will be rewarded with more than you ever could have expected.