• South Africa

Pricing

The price includes:
· Accommodation
· Food
· Cybertracker Track & Sign qualification (SASSETA & CATHSSETA)
· FGASA qualification

FGASA Field Guide (NQF4) knowledge
CATHSSETA national qualification (NQF Level 2) in Nature Guiding
Firearm Proficiency SASSETA
National level 3, 4×4 driving qualification
Cybertracker Track & Sign qualification (SASSETA & CATHSSETA)

Oct 03, 2019
Jun 22, 2022
1 traveler is looking at this program

Bushwise has built a reputation as a leading training provider in the safari industry and offers one of the most comprehensive courses available. We strive to not only have a 100% pass rate, but also guarantee a permanent position for our South African graduates on the FGASA Professional Field Guide Course.

The course has been designed to develop highly skilled professionals in the field guiding industry through the FGASA Level 1 and Level 2 curriculum. The aim of the course is to provide a well-rounded and specialised education, and is specifically developed to provide vocational skills and qualifications required by employers in the Southern Africa region.

Program Highlights

• Immerse in the South African bush while training to earn a Safari Field Guide accreditation.
  • Receive numerous nationally recognised qualifications
  • Career changing opportunity to secure your position in conservation
  • Live and work in the famous South African bushveld
  • Become a professional field guide recognised internationally

• 9-10 rating 88.24%
  • 7-8 rating 11.76%
Brody

Exceptional experience with Bushwise

The past 6 months studying through Bushwise to become a Field Guide has been the greatest experience of my life, the staff have become family to me and the ability to wake up and witness a natural environment everyday isn't too bad either.I personally use to be very quiet and intraverted which made me believe I wouldn't have what it takes, but the trainers made a massive effort to boost my confidence and I will be forever grateful to them all. I would highly recommend Bushwise to anyone looking to become a Field Guide!

Pros
  • In the Bush!
  • Super friendly people
  • Qualification in the coolest career
Cons
  • Nothing really
1 person found this review helpful.
Adam

Amazing Experience!

The past 6 months with Bushwise have been nothing short of amazing. Of course it has been filled with highs, lows, & things that could be done differently but overall, the experiences I have had living in the bushveld of Africa will forever be life changing. From observing elephant behavior on the porch of our tents to learning from the best trainers in the industry, the knowledge gained from the Bushwise course exceeded every expectation I had. Living & training on a reserve in Greater Kruger provided an opportunity that not many will get to experience in this life and provided lessons that simply can't be taught from reading a textbook. One can't say enough about the trainers we had in creating this environment and the patience & efforts they exerted to ensure everyone succeeded during this course.

As an international student, there are many frustrations of trying to get the opportunity to crack into the conservation industry in South Africa but the staff at Bushwise offer patience, insight & support to help give you the best opportunity possible.

It’s a heavy workload but if you come to learn, you’ll be rewarded greatly.
Response from Bushwise Field Guides

Hi there,

Thank you so much for this fantastic review! I am thrilled to hear you had such a positive experience on your Bushwise program and that it exceeded your expectations! I'm also happy to hear you felt the staff were able to provide you with the insight and support needed to launch your career in a field. All the best for the future!

Amanda
Head of Alumni Services

Donald

Bushwise Field Guides

Being quite an analytical person, I had gone into a lot of investigation when I was looking for a training provider. This I had to do to ensure that I get the right level of training and make the big shift in my career path.
Little did I know that I would leave the training program with one of the best experiences of my life and fully prepared for the guiding career ahead of me.
The Bushwise community is very close to my heart and I would be proud to carry the Bushwise flag going forward.
We started as strangers and left as family, thank you Bushwise!!!

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
Hours spent tracking animals on foot was one of the best experiences.
Response from Bushwise Field Guides

Hi there,

Thank you so much for this wonderful review. I am so happy to hear your Bushwise program was one of the best experiences if your life! I wish you many happy years working in the field.

Amanda
Head of Alumni Services

Andrew

Bushwise

Bushwise has probably been one of the best experiences of my life.Growing up I always loved the bush and now the fact I’m living her has been unforgettable. From sleep outs to great food to magical encounters and endless days of fun it’s definitely a must if you love the bush or want to become a field guide there is no better option than bushwise from the years of experience all the trainers have combined with constant learning you are bound to become the best of the best and the multiple courses add to you cv so yes bushwise is a must.

What was your funniest moment?
Probably when I fell in a dam full of mud and got dirty when we went frogging
Chris

Best nature experience and learning

I had so much fun learning and being apart of the bushwise team and allowing them to teach me the wonders of the bush as well as give me a great start in my career. I really enjoyed my time being on this course living on campus and experiencing the bush up front and learning about everything that lies with in the bush. The other thing that really is amazing is the lectures that are taught as well as the activities that we were able to do that gave us evwn more qualifications that would help in our industry. Bushwise really taught me alot and i would recommend the course to all that is wanting to go into a guiding career or even hospitality industry within a lodge. Last thing i have to say is that the staff of bushwise are the friendliest and most helpful people and are always willing to help and thats where i really appreciated all the help. When joining bushwise you are not just a student you are part of the bushwise family.

What was your funniest moment?
The day we went "frogging" in the small dam we jave here to go and look for and identify different types of frogs while walking through squishy mud. We all ended up jumping in and swimming with the frogs
William

Bushwise Field Guides

A great course and the most extensive FGASA provider you can ask for. For international students especially this course is your best bet at getting into this field of work due to the help in getting the additional qualifications such as the PDP and the add ons like Lowveld Trails and Advanced Rifle Handling, as well as the extensive practical experience in a big 5 game reserve both in vehicle and on foot. The trainers are all great and enthusiastic people who want you to succeed, doing their best to do so. The placement if you go for it is also essential to get your foot in the door whether your abroad or local and there is plenty of time to recover and explore South Africa in the numerous off weeks you will have in the six month training period.

Mara

Bushwise

I waited two years to join Bushwise after volunteering in South Africa in 2017 and I am so glad I did! The teachers were all incredible and I am lucky to have had the chance to learn from these men, Gerhard, Vaughan, and Ed. The experience that I have gained over the past six months is immeasurable. No experience can be without flaws and while those were at times aggravating I know that what I will remember for the rest of my life are the friendships I made, the lessons I learned, and the experiences I shared with people I have grown to love. This course is for passionate people with a specific interest in being a student and a teacher for the rest of your life. I am now uniquely well equipped to move forward in the industry of field guiding and I am excited to start working with volunteers at the start of the next year.

Restrict participants to 21 and older because you need to be 21 to become fully qualified to work. Improve communication between students and staff and also between the staff themselves.
Tyron

Bushwise

It was amazing and it was the best experience of my life! I would do it all over again if I could!

I have Learned so much and I can’t express how greatful I am for this opportunity. Anyone who loves the bush or has a keen interest in nature would love this course. I have learned an extreme amount of things about the whole and my self. I loved every aspect and I made great friends. My respect and love for nature has grown immensely! I feel I am now ready for my career that lies ahead.

I’m so happy that I could have gone through on this journey with Bushwise. This was the best experience of my life and I hope anyone who does this has the time I did. The trainers were amazing and the information and knowledge that they give was amazing.

Staring lectures all from the start to be able to use it to gain more knowledge while on course