AIFS Study Abroad in Salamanca: Semester or Academic Year

AIFS Study Abroad in Salamanca: Semester or Academic Year

Spend a semester or year studying in the picturesque city of Salamanca. Earn up to 15 credits at the University of Salamanca. Courses are taught in English or Spanish, and no previous Spanish study is required.

Program options:
-Spanish and International Studies
-International Business Studies
-Medical and Health Program (Fall Semester only)
-Integrated Studies with Spaniards (must enroll in Early Start Program)
-Spanish Language and Culture (Fall only)

Live in a student apartment, homestay or student residence, all with a meal plan and internet. Enjoy cultural and social activities such as Spanish cooking classes, museum visits, a tapas tour, and intercambios with Spanish students. AIFS includes a 2-day trip to Madrid and Toledo, and day trips to Segovia, and a day trip to Toro and Zamora. Optional excursions include a 4-day visit to Morocco, a 4-day trip to Seville, Granada and Cordoba, and a 3-day trip to Portugal.

• Welcome and Farewell Dinner
Activities
Classes
Meals
Travel Insurance
AIFS is a premier provider of study abroad programs. Comprehensive fees cover tuition and housing with $800,000 in scholarship and grant funding available each year. A meal plan, tours and excursions, insurance and 24-hour emergency service are also included. Coordinated AIFS Flight Packages are available.
Salamanca

Hi Michelle, I was in the program 8 years ago so please check with the AIFS staff in Salamanca. At that time, spring break was not covered so we all planned ahead. Some opted out for staying with their host families, all you had to do is check with them and pay an additional fee directly to them. Others went home for the 2 weeks, but as for me, I did some backpacking with friends thru Europe, it w...

Lisa
Detroit, MI
University of Dayton

An Incredible Experience!

My semester in Salamanca was hands down the best semester I've had in college! AIFS was very supportive throughout the entire application process. They answered all my questions via email right away and with very detailed answers to my questions. Also, the AIFS staff in Salamanca always welcomed us into their office. I would go after my classes to ask questions or just to chat. AIFS also provided great host families. My experience was phenomenal and I truly believe I gained a second family in Spain. We still keep in touch and I look forward to visiting them next time I'm in Spain. Salamanca is known as a university city and therefore, I was able to meet a lot of both Spanish and international students around my age. I always felt safe in the city, even at night.

Kaitlin
Kingston, Rhode Island
University of Rhode Island

Salamanca Became my Home

Studying abroad in Salamanca through AIFS provided me with a spectacular experience. Not only did the staff do a great job of providing you with a wonderful home stay, but they were always there to help. If you were sick, had a general question, or just even wanted to chat you could always feel comfortable asking the staff. The program allowed for an easy transition from living in the US to the life in Spain by constantly having events and involving you in the culture. If I could go back, I would have no doubt in my mind that this program would be my selection. By the end of the semester, I am sure that you too will feel Salamanca is your home.

The only fault I could find in the program is that sometimes for certain events the notification would be last minute. This only happened a few times, but it would have been nice to know about these outings sooner.

NHill
Cincinnati, Ohio
Duquesne University

Living in Salamanca

Salamanca was the best city in Spain to live and study. It was small enough that you didn't have to take a taxi between destinations. This opportunity to walk everywhere helped me to truly get to know the city better. At the same time, I never felt confined or bored. There was always an opportunity to find something new. The AIFS program also provided fun, interactive activities that familiarized you with Salamanca. Whenever questions or concerns arouse I always felt welcome to go to the AIFS staff who were consistently open and helpful.

Marian
Worcester, MA
Assumption College

Amazing AIFS Salamanca

Salamanca is undoubtedly one of the most beautiful cities in Spain. I loved walking around the city to explore. My favorite place was Plaza Mayor. My friends and I would go hang out there and people watch. I could not have asked for a better place to spend 4 and a half months.

I wish that the academics could have been a bit more challenging.

Salamanca!
Chapman University

Go to Salamanca!

This program is incredible. Salamanca is an incredible city, small enough to be able to know the city in a semester but big enough to never get bored. I recommend it to everyone. And the AIFS program was great. All the trips were so much fun and Gaye and Julua, the program directors, are incredibly helpful!

The roommate process could have been more in depth. I loved my senora but had a harder time getting along with my roommates.

Catie
Rock Hill, South Carolina
Winthrop University

Choose AIFS Salamanca!

Whenever people ask me where I studied abroad in Spain, it always saddens me that most have never heard of the wonderful city of Salamanca. The experience I had in Salamanca with AIFS was amazing. The staff from AIFS are warm and always keeping you up to date on what's going on. I highly recommend taking the AIFS only classes at the university, especially the writing course, because I found them more challenging and rewarding than the regular classes the university offered. The town itself is wonderful, very easy to navigate and has lots to explore. I stayed at a homestay and loved my senora immensely, I grew close to her wonderful family who visited every weekend and she cooked amazing food! I really liked that there were so many excursions already included in our AIFS package, because I didn't have the resources to travel as much as others did on the weekends. Another thing I recommend is to take the opportunity to get involved with the people in Salamanca, for example with the help of the AIFS staff I joined a local church choir and also volunteered at a school nearby twice a day. I also used a recommended website from the staff to arrange intercambios with local Spanish students-it's totally terrifying at first, but really worth the extra practice! Ultimately, this experience was really worth it and I highly recommend it.

Some of the classes were not as challenging as I would have hoped, so if you want more advanced classes I suggest doing the AIFS only classes and considering the option of doing classes with Spaniards.
I also wish the roommate process was a little bit more detailed, I didn't end up enjoying my roommate very much but luckily I enjoyed my homestay hostess.

Sally
Colorado

Salamanca, Spain

I loved my Spanish professor, I loved spending time with my new friends in the Plaza Mayor, and I loved getting to see more of Spain and Portugal! Salamanca is full of things to love.

HaleyF
Tuscaloosa, AL
University of Alabama- Birmingham

Salamanca; My New Home

In the morning I would wake up to Nutella and toast with juice that my senora had left out. I would then go to classes with students from all over the world. My teachers were great and loved hearing about all of our experiences in Europe. At 2pm it was lunch time! Lunch is the biggest meal in Spain and we had delicious food. After lunch I took a traditional siesta and then went to another class. I did not have afternoon classes on Wednesdays so I would go to teach 5 and 6 year olds English. After dinner at 9:30pm I would get ready and go to the plaza to meet friends at midnight. We would hangout for awhile and then venture on to the bars to experience the nightlife. The next day my senora would ask me all about my night and we would laugh about what had happened.
Whenever I left for trips on the weekends my senora would give me a doblebeso goodbye and also give me a bocadilla for the trip. When I returned home she got so happy and we would immediately sit down and rehash my trip and see what things we both had did at that city!
The only thing that was difficult was the two hour ride to the airport for trips but it was fun with friends and my senora packed me snacks!

I would change the roommate selection process and try to match them better. We had some roommates who loved each other but in my case my roommate was the complete opposite of me and I did not get along with her.

traveler87
NY
College of New Rochelle

Memories that last a lifetime

Studying in Salamanca marked a very special point in my life. The months I spent there did not only help me realize of how much I love Spanish, but it made me fall in love with the culture and people of Spain!
I found that classes can be as challenging as you want them to be, you just have to find the right balance and not be afraid to expose yourself to the language.
One of the great opportunities of living here is that you meet people from all over the world. I was lucky enough to choose a large host family, and ended up with friends from all over. Within the 3 years after this experience ended our close group has been fortunate enough to meet twice across the globe.
Salamanca is close enough to anywhere you want to go, and the people are very friendly. If your thinking on going there, just do it! You won't regret it.

Amlumnah
Plainville, CT
Quinnipiac University

Amazing experience

Studying abroad in Salamanca, Spain was one of the best times in my life. The city, the culture, the people, everything there is amazing. You learn so much more about the world and about yourself by having this experience. I highly recommend this program to anyone interested in studying abroad.

Katie
College Station, TX
University of Salamanca

Best Experience of my life!

This program helped me better learn Spanish, become acquainted with Spanish culture, and so much more. It was incredibly planned and living with my host family was the best experience I could have ever imagined. The only thing that would have made it better would have been if we could have somehow gotten the fellow program students to speak in Spanish for the duration of the study abroad. While it was great to learn and speak Spanish with natives in Salamanca and in class, the American program students would speak English with one another during program events. Other than that, this study abroad was phenomenal.

BB'08
Blacksburg, VA
Virginia Tech

Salamanca: Studying in the Golden CIty Of Spain

My time in Salamanca was life-changing. I lived with a host family that I keep in touch with today (4 years later) and have gone back to visit. It was such a privilege to be able to study at one of the oldest universities in Europe.

Through making friends in Salamanca, my classes at the university, and my time spent with the host family, my Spanish skills greatly improved.

I made lasting friendships and lifelong memories. I would encourage everyone to go!

Salamanca
Salamanca, Spain
Western Washington University

Do I have to leave?

I think that to be completely honest I think anyone going to Salamanca is going to have an amazing time no matter what program the go with. But I have had such an amazing time with AIFS. The staff is always helpful and take us on trips or give little perks like taking us out to tapas or chocolate con churros. But apart from the program Salamanca is still one of the best places I have ever been. Walking around the city I feel surrounded by culture and history. I walk through the plaza (which is said to be one of the most beautiful in the world...no joke) and I have to make myself stop and realize that although I walk though every day it is still amazing and beautiful and I need to take it all in. I only have about a month and a half left and I hate to think that on May 18 I will be leaving and I don't know when I'll be back. I want time to stop in this moment because at this moment I can't think of a better place to be.

amturner10
Sioux Falls, SD
Augustana College

The Best Decision You'll Ever Make

I wasn't sure what to expect when I arrived in Salamanca... But what I got couldn't have been better. With classes in the mornings (with coffee breaks, of course) we had the afternoons free everyday. Meeting up with friends for leisurely walks, grabbing ice cream in the plaza, and endless conversations never got old. On days we felt more tourist-y we would visit the convent, cathedral, or university library. A never ending supply of places to go and things to see. I wouldn't change a thing about Salamanca. Sure, their accent may take a while, but every single person I spoke Spanish to was just so happy I was speaking, that they helped me with any words I struggled on, and even would teach me the "Spanish" way of saying it. Nicest people in the world. Going to Salamanca was by far the best choice I could have made for my Sophomore year in college.

Vazqsama
Chicago, Illinois
Dominican University

The people make it the best.

It was always a dream of mine to visit Spain and after spending a year in Salamamca with AIFS I couldn't think of a better way to have fulfilled that dream. The program and the staff are incredible, they go out of their way to make sure you enjoy your time abroad. The academic advisor is one of the best advisors I have ever had, he makes sure that you are enrolled in classes that are not only appropriate for your language level but also interesting to you. Meeting and getting to know the locals was the best thing I could have done. The Salmantinos are extremely sweet, funny, and always willing to help you with what ever you need.

MeganRejohnna
Elkins, WV
West Virginia University

My experience with AIFS in Salamanca

Studying abroad in Salamanca was the best decision I've made during my academic career. It was not only enriching on an academic level, but on a personal and cultural level, as well. I very much grew as an individual and made friends from literally all over the world. The University is fantastic, and the classes offered are definitely some of the best that I've ever taken. The AIFS staff there are also incredibly helpful; they mix fun and support in great way and arrange all of the necessities for you, like living, group travel, and extracurricular activities like cooking and dance lessons. We also did several dinners and tapas outings together. I wouldn't be able to write a review for Salamanca without mentioning the nightlife. I've never had so much fun in my life! It was such a fun-loving global community with so many opportunities for socialization. And as a city, Salamanca is just beautiful. The architecture is breathtaking and it's very conveniently located for travel and visiting purposes.

student
Tennessee
University of Tennessee- Chattanooga

Flawless Semester

I had the most amazing semester. Salamanca, is the best city to study abroad and AIFS is a very reliable program. From the beginning to the end, our directors educated us and kept in constant communication to ensure our excellent safety and organization. They choose very secure, fun and immersing homestays. I absolutely loved my host family, they were so welcoming and always made the most delicious food! Having wireless internet was also an added bonus! I loved this program because they made it hassle-free. They handled our airport transfers and always let us know of cultural events on campus. I miss it like crazy, choose AIFS-Salamanca!

slshober6
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
University of Salamanca

Salamanca Spring 2009

I loved studying abroad, especially in a place that my school didn't offer because I was forced to make new friends and get out of my comfort box, which is what studying abroad should be all about. I loved being in Europe as well because there are a million places you can get to so quickly.

lainey2013
Harrisonburg, Virginia
James Madison University

Que Guay

Salamanca is a beautiful city that looks like it came straight out of a storybook. My university has a study abroad program in Salamanca, but I realized it was more affordable (and four weeks longer) to study through an external program. Before the semester started we had a two week orientation course which helped me to get acclimated to Salamanca, my study abroad group and Spanish culture. The AIFS staff is fantastic. The homestay was nice, I learned a ton about Spanish culture and we had several groups of European high school students live with us too. The classes were easy, but they are all in Spanish.

And AIFS has an optional excursion to Morocco which was amazing!
Overall, I would recommend study abroad, and if you're looking at Spain. Go to Salamanca with AIFS

BBHSTeacher
Memphis, TN
Providence College

Awesome Experience

I had the most wonderful experience in Salamanca, and would encourage anyone interested in the abroad experience to study here as well. My host family was incredible, giving me a taste of homemade paella, soups, dinners, meals--everything a girl could ask for! The two of Salamanca felt super safe, and even with us out walking at night, I never had any issue or felt unsafe. Also, its location to Madrid and thus out of country travel was extremely easy and accessible.

I couldn't recommend this abroad experience more!!!

AIFS is a leading provider of study abroad programs. Since 1964, more than 1.5 million students have traveled abroad with AIFS. Comprehensive program fees make it convenient for students to study abroad and experience all that the world has to offer.

With over half a