Study Abroad at One of the top 3 Spanish Universities

Visiting the Prehistoric Caves of Puente Viesgo.
Visiting the Prehistoric Caves of Puente Viesgo.
The girls outside the house
The girls outside the house
Puente Viesgo caves with human paintings from 40,000 years ago are within walking distance.
Enjoying lunch on our patio.
Enjoying lunch on our patio.
Spanish lessons with Fernando.
Spanish lessons with Fernando.

Study in Santander, a safe and idyllic city, whilst living at your tutor's home or with a host family.
The UC is the perfect choice for studying abroad.
The Universidad de Cantabria (UC) is ranked amongst the top three in Spain, both in education and research quality. It was also one of the first Spanish universities to be presented with the “International Campus of Excellence” award.
At the University of Cantabria you have the option to choose from a long list of subjects taught in Spanish, in English or others that are "English friendly".
You will be hosted at our home in Puente Viesgo, a charming 1780's typical Spanish house, just 17 miles from the UC. In addition to learning Spanish, you will be able to immerse yourself into our lifestyle. You will have free use of all the communal areas of our home, patio and garden. You will be given a bedroom with en-suite bathroom for your own privacy. You also have the option of living with an English host family if you prefer.

• Live in your Spanish tutor's family home or if you prefer, with a host family.
  • You have the option to select subjects taught in Spanish, in English or "English friendly", which are subjects taught in Spanish but with materials, tutorials and examinations given in English.
  • Study an academic year or a semester at the Universidad de Cantabria, one of the top three universities in Spain.
  • Santander is one of the most beautiful cities in Spain and also one of the safest regions in Europe. Chosen as 2nd best destination to visit in Europe by Lonely Planet.
  • Learn Spanish with our award winning courses. Awarded by the British Government and the European Union.

Selfie
Maria

The University of Cantabria was brilliant. The campus is breathtaking!

My experience in Spain was definitely positive. I was debating on where to go in Europe and a friend recommended Cantabria in Northern Spain. I can never thank her enough!
I was nervous as I had never traveled abroad before and Europe is so diverse, I had planned to travel with my friend but she pulled out. In the end my family gave me the courage to go through with this exciting adventure and I am so thankful to them and The Spanish Course for this experience.
They helped me a lot with my initiation and I soon settled in.
I chose to study my subjects in English and it was great. Most of my classes were full of people from all over the world.
The village is a lot different to back home, it is very quiet and calm and the villagers are so friendly.
Tip : Eat at the Marques restaurant in Puente Viesgo. They have the most amazing seafood paella.

When I arrived at Madrid, we (the group) were met by Fernando & Andy from the Spanish Course. We spent the next few days discovering the city before heading north to Cantabria. Great way to start our stay.
Andy recommended watching a game of soccer. I would have liked to watch Ronaldo play but he had already left for Italy.

The University of Cantabria was brilliant. The campus is breathtaking, directly facing the beach!

Andy and Denise’s home in Puente Viesgo is gorgeous. I had my own en-suite bedroom, TV, wi-fi etc...everything i needed. My host mom, Denise, cooked us a variety of delicious English/Spanish meals.

I loved my time in Cantabria. I would recommend it to anyone considering a Study Abroad program.

If i could change anything, I would have arrived in August for the fall semester. Better weather than Jan/Feb.
Response from The Spanish Course

Hola Maria,

Thanks for your excellent review and for choosing us. Hope you're enjoying your time now.

Yo
Bradley

Cantabria - A Dream!

My Spanish improved immensely, I made close friends that I am still in touch with today, and Cantabria is amazing! Fernando and Merche are totally dedicated to the students and were always available if ever we needed them.I loved living with my host family.

The program is extremely well organized. You find yourself speaking Spanish most of the time. I lived with three other American students from different parts of the States. Great fun!

There were also field trips to places like the Basque city of Bilbao and the Picos de Europa which were included as part of our program.
Santander has its own International airport with flights available to Rome, Berlin, Dublin and London etc... I took advantage of this on a few weekends!

Everyone in the program lived in a homestay, which is definitely the highlight. We all improved our Spanish while immersing ourselves into their culture. Most providers offer homestay as an option but with this program its the norm, and it’s brilliant! Forget living in an apartment.
We shared meals together, watched movies and even went to a soccer game!

Response from The Spanish Course

Hola Brad,

Thanks for your positive reply.

We really loved to have you here and we hope you're having a nice time back in the States.

Gracias.

Callum

Santander is amazing!

Where do I start?

Overall I would rate my experience as 10/10. I had an awesome time in Santander. The city is amazing.

I was a little nervous to leave the States and study abroad but from the moment I arrived at Madrid airport and was picked up by Andy, I felt so relaxed. He’s so friendly and never stops laughing.

While I was studying in Santander, I chose to stay with Andy & Denise, which I loved. It was great coming home every day and chatting about the day. They are such a friendly couple. I also had a housemate for the semester, John, who was great company.

I learnt a lot about Spanish culture during my stay. Especially the strange eating times and the art of cutting a jamon!

Everyone was always available to help me with anything I needed. From helping me through the application process and making sure I had collected all of the necessary documents or to simply give me recommendations for places to visit during my stay.

Santander was a great place to study abroad. If you are interested in traveling to other European cities on the weekends, Santander is a perfect base to start from. Rome and Dublin were my favorites.

I highly recommend this program to anyone else thinking else thinking of studying abroad.

Response from The Spanish Course

We all loved to have you here and, although you stayed with Denise and Andy, I remember the picture when you were cutting ham. It was hilarious. Thanks.

We hope you have a lovely time back home.

Liam

The best University!

The best University!

Choosing to study in English was the best decision I've ever made.
I get by in Spanish but the thought of daily lectures and then the exams in Spanish just scared me to death. The University of Cantabria was brilliant. So relaxed compared to mine back home. Alvaro (Communication of Engineering) was especially brilliant :)
I was placed for my semester with Andy and Denise a couple from Liverpool, England who have a awesome home right in the center of Puente viesgo, a short bus ride from the UC campus. They speak Spanish too so they helped with any paperwork I had to do during my time in Spain.
They cooked a variety of different meals, obviously some of them local Cantabrian specialities. Andy makes a great bean stew and supports Liverpool FC, the best soccer team in the world, he repeatedly told me!
I wish I could have stayed longer.

Can't think off much off the top of my head. Faster Wi-Fi?
Response from The Spanish Course

Hi Liam,

Thanks for your review. Nice to hear you had such a lovely time with Andy and Denise and studying at the Universidad de Cantabria with your lecturers and program leader.

Gracias.

Regards,

Emily

Only regret is that I couldn't stay longer!

My main goal in studying in Cantabria was to totally immerse myself in the culture and people. I stayed with Merche, Fernando and their their two, lovely twin girls in Puente Viesgo, a little village just outside Santander. I took the two week Spanish classes before my semester at the Universidad de Cantabria started, which helped me enormously.
I was quite nervous about studying abroad even though I had taken Spanish for the last 4 years but ‘The Spanish Course’ helped every step of the way.
Fernando assisted me through the visa process and really made an effort to ensure I was comfortable in their home. They took us on monthly day trips out to places like Santillana del Mar and Comillas. Truly amazing places. We even went to watch Racing de Santander, the local soccer team. (Not quite Real Madrid!)
I fully recommend studying abroad in Cantabria even if you don’t speak Spanish that well. Living in Puente viesgo allowed me to practice my Spanish language skills, with my host family and in the local shops and restaurants. People were very patient with me even if I didn’t quite understand what they meant or I was a bit slow with my replies.
Overall I was able to meet incredible people, experience a different way of life and fulfil my dream of living in Spain, even if it was only for 4 months.

I highly recommend this program and can’t really suggest any improvements.

Response from The Spanish Course

Hola Emily,

Raquel and Victoria still ask about you!!!

We really enjoyed to have you staying with us at our home.

Hope everything is OK with you this year and, as we discussed, if you would like to come back for another semester, don't hesitate to contact us again.

Caitlin

Best experience of my life so far!

My host family was phenomenal. They were warm, funny, generous, and welcomed me into their amazing, 250 year old home, with open arms.
From the moment I was picked up by Fernando in Madrid, to the moment 4 months later when I returned, they took care of me every step of the way and made sure that I had everything I needed to relax and really enjoy the experience.
Santander is such a beautiful city. It's a great city to live and study in, it's very safe with lots to do. Everyone is so friendly. It’s exciting but never feels too touristy, and with the university being so close to the beach, I often found myself down there, after class, strolling along the promenade or just relaxing over a coffee in restaurante El Parque, my favorite.
As well as my host family, I shared the house with two other students. I loved my time there. It left me with great memories and great friends. 10/10. No question

There are half a dozen bars and restaurants within walking distance of where I lived but to go 'clubbing' a taxi into nearby Torrelavega or Santander was needed. Not a huge problem as we shared the fare between the three of us.
Other than that I'd say the program was perfect.
Response from The Spanish Course

Thanks for your review. We also loved to have you here with us sharing our home. Hope everything is OK with you and good luck for the future.