CIEE Arts + Sciences in Uppsala, Sweden

CIEE Arts + Sciences in Uppsala, Sweden

Come immerse yourself in Swedish society and culture while enrolling in a variety of rigorous coursework at one of the premier universities in Scandinavia.

Through coursework at Uppsala University, participation in university activities, and cultural excursions and activities, studying abroad in Sweden offers you valuable insight into the country’s past and present while providing a rewarding academic experience in an atmosphere of world-competitive research.

Study abroad in Sweden and you will:

- Study at one of the premier universities in Europe, alongside local Swedish and international students, while living in a true university town

- Enroll directly in a wide range of courses in business, sciences, information technology, social sciences, and humanities

- Enjoy local and regional excursions designed to introduce you to the rich cultural history and physical beauty of Sweden

- Experience campus life through Uppsala University’s “Student Nations”

Europe » Sweden » Uppsala
Sociology
Letters of Recommendation
The program fee includes:

- Tuition and housing
- Pre-departure advising and optional on-site airport meet and greet
- Full-time program leadership and support
- Field trips and cultural activities
- CIEE iNext travel card which provides insurance and other travel benefits

CIEE also offers a wide variety of scholarships for participants; see website for details.
Uppsala

Claire
East Brunswick, NJ
Brown University

Life changing semester

My semester in Sweden was not only an incredible experience, but also has continued to affect my life (for the better). I've since come back to Sweden to do research on a Fulbright Scholarship, have viewed Sweden as my second home and shared Swedish language and culture with my friends and family.

The university is world-renowned--a lot of students will choose not to, but if you want, there is definitely the opportunity to challenge yourself academically (and still have fun!). The program director was very supportive of my decision to take upper level science courses and actually negotiated to let me do so, and I was able to experience lab techniques that weren't even offered at my home university.

Student life is amazing, with thirteen student nations that host balls, formal dinners with Swedish drinking songs, club nights, restaurants etc. They are a great chance to meet other students and work/learn to bartend, and are a unique part of Uppsala. The housing also facilitates this--although you have your own room and bathroom, there are eleven other people in your hallway that can easily become some of your closest friends.

The program itself is exceptional, planning excursions and events to expose you to different parts of Swedish culture. You might go to the Arctic Circle or a Swedish resort island, explore Stockholm or Viking graves, and not have to worry about planning any of it. The program director, Felicitas, has a wonderful course in cross-cultural communication, and is always there for support. It was all very smoothly run and helped me get the most out of my experience.

All in all, CIEE Uppsala was the best semester of my college career. Its study abroad opportunities stand out in the cultural immersion that is offered, with the chance to become a part of student life and learn the Swedish language and culture. I loved every second of it and am so lucky to be back!

Emily
Acton
Hamilton College

Uppsala is the best!

My semester abroad in uppsala was one of the best experiences of my life. The program is incredibly well organized and I was so thankful for all of the support CIEE offered to help make my abroad experience the best it could be. The director is closely in touch with the university which helps greatly with course selection and any other issues that might arise. Additionally, one of the best parts of studying in uppsala is the opportunity to meet swedes and international students. Unlike many of my friends in other programs, I was able to immerse myself in the local culture through living and studying with other Swedish and international students. Uppsala is a university town so it's the perfect place to be a student, with tons of things to do, amazing cafes, and a lively social scene international students can easily get involved in. Overall, I would highly recommend this program.

Katie
Richfield, OH
Johns Hopkins University

Probably best 5 months of my life

CIEE's program was the highlight of my undergraduate career. Unlike a lot of study abroad programs, this one allowed me (and fervently encouraged me!) to branch out and make friends with Swedes instead of just people in the program (though I got both!). Uppsala is a great student town--safe, fun, and filled with young people. I met my boyfriend during this program (and we've been together since) and I've visited Uppsala/Stockholm several times since the program ended because of how much I fell in love with the country. Academically, Uppsala can accommodate many types of students--science-oriented, law/justice, humanities, engineering. The Swedish class was a surprising highlight. I was in a class with exchange students from all over the world, and the language is relatively easy to learn. What I also loved is that you live in apartment buildings with other university students--the majority of whom are Swedish. I don't know of many other study abroad programs, other than home-stays, where you got so much access to natives.

Siobhan
Rochester, NY

Uppsala is amazing

Uppsala is the perfect place to study abroad, if you don't mind the cold. The fact that it's a university town makes it perfect for abroad students, and CIEE makes everything so much easier by figuring out your housing, introducing you to the city, and being able to provide support and answer questions. The student nations are a lot of fun and one huge benefit of this program is the ease of meeting other international students, and not just Americans. Overall, amazing experience here with the city and the CIEE staff.

Blake
Evanston, IL
Georgetown University

The Best Semester of My Life

Uppsala:
The student life at Uppsala University is the best in the world. The Nation System, organized around thirteen student nations that correspond to the traditional Swedish regions offers a fantastic combination of extra curricular activities such as cultural events and sports teams, as well as a plethora of special events. These events include pub crawls, nightly clubs, and traditional formal dinners. In addition to the student nations, there are also many professional and social organizations that are associated with different areas of study. Best among these is Uppbalaekonomerna, the economics and business students' association, which organizes an amazing seven week introduction program
The town itself is picturesque and extremely conducive to a comfortable student life. It is easy to bike everywhere and there are many old landmarks and a beautiful river that runs through the city center.

The University:
Uppsala University is an excellent university, with outstanding researchers in many fields. Classes for exchange students can be varied in difficulty, but in my experience the work load is not intense as compared with top american universities, while the majority of the classes are highly interesting.

The Program:
CIEE Uppsala provides an excellent balance of support and freedom. For students who wish to take advantage of it, the engaged program staff provide thorough and comprehensive support. On the other hand the program also allows students who wish to be more independent and embedded in Swedish student life the freedom to do so.

Things To Know:
To get the most out of the program a willingness to engage with local students and student organizations is a must. Uppsala is hands down the the best program for anyone who is interested in Swedish or Sweden. I have studied at universities in three countries and I would say that Uppsala offers such an amazing experience that extensive travel outside of Sweden is a waste of time. This is a program for those who want to get to know Sweden or truly engross themselves in a fantastic and unique university's student life. That said, travel from Uppsala is easy as Arlanda airport, Sweden's largest, is only 20-30 minutes away. Finally, some knowledge of Swedish or at least a thorough willingness to learn is a completely unnecessary but very beneficial plus.

There is very little that I believe could improve the program. That said, one improvement could be if Uppsala University offered an expanded range of courses for exchange students. The current course list is diverse and includes many interesting classes, but better access to classes intended for Swedish students would be a plus.

Wayana
Seattle
Occidental College

A Semester Abroad in Uppsala!

It is hard to organize all of my thoughts into one review but here is a bulleted list of the highlights
- The program is small enough that you personally get to know the staff, and the other students.
- Uppsala is a very safe town, so you can walk or bike (and boy are there a lot of bike paths!) at all hours.
- The student housing, while not the fanciest, is a great way to meet Swedes and other international students. Every night at 10 pm, all the students scream out the window as loud as possible to relieve stress.
- Uppsala University's social scene is organized into student nations. Each nation hosts formal balls (called gasques), has cheap restaurants and pubs where you can eat or volunteer, and organizes numerous other social activities. I particularly liked the gasques at Kalmar Nation, which is probably one of the more 'hippy' nations, and salsa dancing classes at Varmlands Nation.
- I ended up taking MS courses as an undergrad, and they were challenging. The professors were not as hands-on as in the US, and there was a lot less busywork, which was nice. The bad part about the MS program was that the course schedule made it hard to travel much. The good part was that I was with a very small group of international students for the entire semester and I made a lot of great friends!

The Swedish course offered by Uppsala University (which all CIEE students take) focused on grammar rather than on phrases and words that could be useful in everyday life. Felicitas (the CIEE point person) was aware of the issue, and was working on developing a CIEE Swedish course. I'm not sure if it has been implemented yet!

Pat
Boston
Fordham University

6 of the best months of my life

Studying abroad in Uppsala was one of the most incredible experiences of my life. I would recommend it to everyone. Through studying abroad in Uppsala, I made lifelong friends, met the woman that I have been dating for nearly 3 years, and learned about an entirely new culture.

The CIEE staff went above and beyond to make my experience unforgettable, and I will always be grateful for everything that they did to enhance my experience.

Alison
Michigan

Uppsala is the best kept study abroad secret!

I think about the five months I spent in Uppsala, Sweden nearly every day and I'm so grateful to have been part of such a wonderful program. You are able to direct enroll in a historic university and become a member of a student nation which is amazing. Do your research on student nations- they're incredible and as a member you are able to attend the gasques (balls), have Fika and lunch there and participate in so many wonderful activities. Not to mention a different club every night of the week! What the housing quarters lack in glamour they make up for in fun and diversity. You will have your own fairly large room and your own bathroom, you share a kitchen with others on your floor. Flogsta has a great mix of Swedes and other study abroad students and there's always something going on or someone to talk to. Uppsala is also incredibly safe, I never had any issue walking anywhere by myself ever. Also with the flexibility of Uppsala Univeristy's courses you have a lot of downtime to explore the city and go on and travel elsewhere around Europe. The realitive smallness of the group allows you to become really close with the people who are abroa with you, I met four of my best friends from our group and we still talk every day! I think the true testament to Sweden and the program itself is how many individuals (myself included) who are trying to move back there. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Emma
Seattle, Washington

Best Semester of my School Life!

I went to Uppsala in Spring of 2015 and loved every single minute of it. Uppsala is a city focused in and around student life, so it's the perfect place to study abroad. There are 12 "student nations" which you can join, which will become the center of your social life and the best way to make local and international friends. There are buses that run all around the city to late hours, but even if you miss the bus, Uppsala is so safe it's not too bad to walk home. The academics are not too challenging if you make it to class and do your work. Overall I had a wonderful time in Uppsala and enjoyed my time so much, that I have been making plans to move back to Sweden!

More academic support and information would be helpful.

Allie
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania

Would do it again in a heartbeat!

Couldn't recommend this program highly enough! Uppsala has a big international student student culture with many events and activities to get you involved. The CIEE program does a good job of balancing cultural activities and trips with independence for their students. The staff is the sweetest! Academics in Sweden are less competition-oriented and more group focused than in the US. Professors are more like colleagues than bosses, and the work load is not too heavy. I had such a good experience, I'm applying to grad school in Uppsala now! Glad I happened upon this program

John
Detroit, MI
Oakland University

An amazing expierence!

The year that I spent in Uppsala was hands down the best experience of my life. I don't just say that because of how much fun I had, but because of the quality of the experience I had.

The program is run by two of the most kind, respectful, and hardworking people I have ever met. Both of them are there and always willing to help you whatever way you need it, whether it be with selecting your classes, planning a trip to another country, or even if you are just homesick and need someone to talk to, you can always count on them.

Uppsala University is a great university, with a great faculty and a really large range of courses for international students in a lot of different subject areas. Many of them are just as academically challenging as universities back in the states, some even more so. This could be in part to the different style of learning and teaching that is preformed there.

Uppsala itself is an amazing place to spend any amount of time in, especially as a student; the heart of uppsala's population are the students. With Student Nations providing all the entertainment you could imagine on the form of fancy dinners, sports clubs, dance classes, restraints, pubs, clubs, work opportunities, and friends, they make the experience truly unique. People at the nation's are extremely friendly and always welcoming.

Although Flogsta is constantly talked down upon for being a no so amazing place to live, it really is a lot better than the average university living accommodation at a US university. You live on a corridor with 12 single rooms, all with their own bath, and you share a kitchen and common space. The room is a nice size for one person, and is more than enough for someone only living there 6 months to a year.

This program provided me with the once in a life time opportunity to explore both Sweden and the rest of Europe, and I would highly recommend studying in Uppsala to anyone I talked to about it.

I really can't think of ways to improve this program, I thought most all of the aspects of it were run extremely well.

A nonprofit, non-governmental organization, CIEE is the world leader in international study and exchange programs. For 65 years, CIEE has helped thousands of students, professionals, and educators gain the knowledge and skills necessary to live and work in a globally interdependent and culturally diverse world