Uganda Studies Program

Views of a waterfall in the Ugandan mountains
Views of a waterfall in the Ugandan mountains
A student on the Global Health track studies under the instruction of a Ugandan expert
Ugandan and US students study riverside agriculture
Ugandan and US students study riverside agriculture
USP Students outside of UCC
USP Students outside of UCC
Sunset overlooking an acacia tree
Sunset overlooking an acacia tree

Picture yourself in Mukono, Uganda. You're chatting with fellow classmates from Uganda Christian University after a busy day at St. Francis Hospital. You're munching on rolex, an eggs and chapati snack, as you watch the sunset. At the Uganda Studies Program (USP), you're learning from Ugandans about the world.

Expand the horizons of your faith with Christian classes in a new context. Choose from three tracks in social work, global health, and interdisciplinary studies. In all three, you'll participate in Ugandan daily life through classes at a Ugandan university, internships in the community, and relationships with professors and peers.

Whether you live with a host family or in dorms, you'll be immersed in Ugandan culture. You'll also travel throughout Uganda, experience a rural homestay, and take a ten-day trip to Rwanda centered on reconciliation and understanding.

Through new friendships and family, let USP transform your vision and vocation for life.

• Explore the intricacies of cross-cultural relationships through practicums in the surrounding community
  • Participate in Ugandan family life through short-term and full-semester homestays
  • Reflect on your own faith as your encounter Christianity in a different cultural context
  • Join in choirs, sports teams, and other campus activities as a student at Uganda Christian University
  • Travel throughout Uganda on weekend trips as well as a 10-day trip to Rwanda

Richard

Uganda Studies Program

This program has provided for me the most influential experiences of my life thus far. It's nearly impossible to sum up the semester in a few sentences, but the lessons we were taught pertaining to the meaning of family, the vast greatness of God, and how to love better are lessons I will carry for the rest of my life. The people of Uganda are some of the most gracious, authentic, and welcoming people I have interacted with, and they took us in with loving arms and showed us what it means to live in their country rather than just be a tourist amongst their land. It was hard, it was uncomfortable, and it was not always fun. It was worth all of that, however, as the I now have a family there that will not fade. We were welcomed as sons and daughters and treated as such, which is something I could never thank our hosts enough for.

Abby

This. Here. Now.

This review feels like the written equivalent of the elevator pitch or the two-minute version of sharing my study abroad experience. And yet, after a year back in the States to practice, I still haven’t gotten much better at sharing the “short version” of USP. While it may sound cliché, studying abroad in Uganda truly changed my life. I learned so much about myself and the world through the classes I took, the people I met, and the culture I was immersed in. I built relationships with my host family, Ugandan classmates, professors, internship co-workers, and other students in my cohort that impacted me deeply and continue to do so. What I learned through USP has pushed me to create more space in my lifestyle in the States to focus on investing in relationships and the simplicity of being, rather than being tightly bound to the schedules and over-commitment of a typical college student. Uganda taught me lessons about culture, development, faith, community, and so many other things. If you desire to be culturally immersed, to have your perspective of the world expanded, and to build lasting relationships, you will love USP.