Spend your semester paddling the Mississippi River from Minneapolis to New Orleans. Along the way, you will study topics like water pollution, political activism around environmental issues, race relations and social justice, and urban riverfront revitalization. The group will camp on the river and cook their own food, learning additional skills in leadership and communication. This program is ideal for anyone interested in:
*Environmental Justice & Social Justice
*Effects of Climate Change
The River Semester aims to live a green semester and reduce the carbon emissions of a study away semester. Enjoy the food, hospitality, and culture of the heartland of the US. No camping or canoeing experience required, but you must be willing to learn, adapt, and grow!
- Travel by canoe from Minneapolis to New Orleans on the Mississippi River.
- Engage with communities along the river from small towns to large urban hubs.
- Study and complete coursework with your cohort of peers in an outdoor environment; discussing items around the campfire.
- Live a green semester by spending time on a program that works hard to reduce individual carbon emissions.
- Gain skills that go beyond the classroom including communications, leadership, and adaptability.