Go Beyond the Classroom at NYU Washington, DC

Gain real-world experience in a broad range of fields at NYU Washington, DC, where you'll integrate your course work with an unparalleled selection of internship opportunities. Placements can range from the US government or one of the city's nearly 200 foreign embassies to the Smithsonian or the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts. An Internship Seminar and Fieldwork course will help you contextualize your experience. Students at NYU Washington, DC, can also take advantage of the District's large NYU alumni network, and the center offers a supportive mentorship program for all students. With such vast opportunities to build a professional network through internships, mentoring, and course work, you're sure to find your time in the US capital to be an enriching one. Learn more and access the online application on the NYU Global Programs website, and secure your spot for an amazing semester!

Jared

A Rewarding Semester of Professional and Academic Progress

The NYU DC site is very much centered around pairing internships with academic work. Most students who are eligible will pursue an internship alongside their classes. This means there is sometimes a difficult work-life balancing among classes, work and social life, but the NYU support staff are excellent. In addition, classes are generally 3 hours long and held at night to accommodate students with internships. The classes at NYU DC vary, but are (predictably) focused towards politics and policy. I would highly recommend the History of American Environmental Policy course with Charles Herrick. NYU DC academics are generally strong with maybe a few weak classes. Classes are held in the same building as the student residences so an internship also helps students get out of the building. There are also many good sponsored programs by the NYU DC administration in order to get students out and into the city for free. I would definitely recommend this program to anyone interested in politics and/or developing internship experience. It is structured very well, so with a good internship, you will have a great time!

This program could be improved by changing the "points" system around NYU DC sponsored activities. I don't really see the purpose and it only added a barrier to attendance. Overall, it did not ruin the programs, but just made them a little more convoluted to sign up for.
Louis

Great Academic Opportunity

The program was a fantastic opportunity to grow professionally in Washington. It was an excellent way to balance academics taught by experts in their field and applying these principles in the workplace. NYUDC has a lot of free programs to visit and draw the most out of Washington; it means you can go to events at the Lincoln Center or explore the Newseum without being concerned about your budget. I would recommend this to anyone who wishes to expand their professional experience.

Miranda

Amazing Semester @ NYU Washington DC

I spent the spring 2017 semester as a sophomore at NYU Washington DC, and I would say this semester was the highlight of my college experience so far. The entire study away program at NYU DC is really well done; for one, the student life staff, professors, and administration work very hard to create a sense of community within the program, and by the time I was over, I truly felt like we were all part of one huge family. I thoroughly enjoyed the classes I took there, which were challenging and fascinating, as everything was set against the backdrop of politics and democracy because we were living and learning in the nation's capital. I am a public policy major, so it was really great to have so many politics and policy oriented classes, shaped by amazing class discussions from peers who also cared deeply about politics, regardless of their technical views. My favorite part of my experience, though, was my internship. I worked as a legislative intern in the United States Senate for a Senator from my home state and I loved every moment of that experience. All of my friends in the program also loved their internships and felt like they learned a lot from them. I actually made some of my very best friends ever through the program. I recommend the program to any and all of my friends, whether they are politics or policy majors or not, because the energy, community, and learning experiences at NYU Washington DC are really amazing.

The attendance policy is a bit fickle and can feel limiting (basically no absences allowed), but I think hardly anything else can be done to improve the program.

About NYU Global Programs

NYU Global Programs provides study abroad experiences at 11 academic centers in Accra, Ghana; Berlin, Germany; Buenos Aires, Argentina; Florence, Italy; London, England; Madrid, Spain; Paris, France; Prague, Czech Republic; Sydney, Australia; Tel...