• Italy
    • Florence
Term
Academic Year, Fall, J-Term, Spring, Summer
African Studies Anthropology Art History Arts Business Classical Studies Communications Cultural Studies Economics European Studies Fashion Design Film Food Science and Nutrition Gender Studies Global Studies History Jewish Studies Language Studies Law Liberal Arts Literature Medieval Studies Photography Political Science Religious Studies Social Sciences Sociology +17

Program Details

Direct Enrollment
Apartment Host Family

Pricing

Tuition and registration fees for full-time NYU students remain the same during semesters spent at a global location as long as the student is enrolled in 12-18 points. Students from other universities should check with their home school's study abroad office to learn if there is a third-party payment arrangement and/or partnership with NYU. If there is not, visiting students pay NYU College of Arts and Science tuition and fees while studying at an NYU global location.
What's Included

Airfare Meals Visa
Feb 03, 2022
Feb 07, 2018
7 travelers are looking at this program

This fall, study at NYU Florence and experience one of the most culturally significant cities in the world. NYU’s academic center is located on a beautiful, historic estate containing five 15th-century villas. Choose from courses in areas like art history, business, fashion, and prelaw that count toward your major or minor requirements. Since all of your courses are NYU-approved, credits should transfer easily to your home university. Students live either on the NYU Florence estate or in an apartment or homestay in downtown Florence. Take full advantage of the city's many historic and cultural offerings through faculty-led trips throughout the city and around Tuscany. Go to the NYU Global Programs website to access our online application and secure your spot for an amazing semester abroad at NYU Florence. Note that spring-semester programs tend to fill early. Opportunities vary based on local restrictions. Visit the NYU Florence website for the most up-to-date information.

Program Highlights

• Take advantage of NYU’s rigorous academic offerings with a special focus on art history, business, fashion, Italian language, and prelaw.
  • Volunteer opportunities include placements in local schools to help Italian students learn English, English-language tour guides of local churches, and Italian-speaking options.
  • Outings include visits to historical places like the Medici Chapels, the Accademia Gallery, the Gucci and Ferragamo museums, and the Arcetri Observatory.
  • Day and weekend trips go to Viareggio, Rome and the Cinecitta movie studios, Cinque Terre National Park, and more.
  • Students live either off-campus in residences or homestays in Florentine households, or in the villas on La Pietra, NYU’s academic center.

• 5 rating 63.64%
  • 4 rating 36.36%
  • 3 rating 0%
  • 2 rating 0%
  • 1 rating 0%
Vanshita

Spring 2022 at NYU Florence

I had the best semester ever. The faculty and support staff at NYU Florence was so accommodating and kind. My classes were interesting and the larger than life Villa La Pietra is the greatest university campus to exist.My favourite part about my classes was the site visits.It was so engaging to make all those historical locations our textbook. Florence is a magnificent city with beautiful views, yummy food and multiple locations with a rich history. I feel like I left a piece of my heart there and I will definitely be going back very soon.

Pros
  • Made New Friends
  • Ate Delicious Food
  • Learnt about Italian History
Emma

Good experience

Overall good experience. The classes are good but, not on par with New York standards. It's easy to travel around Italy by train. Great places to go are Venice, Rome, Sienna, Milan, and Cinque Terre. Cheap flights to other countries from Bologna airport. Florence is beautiful. Only thing is, NYU is a bubble, so you won't really meet Italians and feel the culture unless you go out of your way to speak to locals. Even the bars and clubs are mostly full of American students. Campus is beautiful.

Pros
  • Beautiful
  • Fun nightlife
Cons
  • NYU is a bubble
  • Less vegan options than New York
Wanchen

Go to Florence, you won't regret it!

I really enjoyed studying away in Florence. I completed a minor in European Culture and Society, took part in NYU Florence's EU in Focus program that traveled to Brussels, and engaged in local community by volunteering in a local museum. I've been learning Italian for a while and the semester really improved my Italian. I enjoyed my classes over there; the topics were interesting and the professors were very helpful and approachable.
The program is of great value. Every student can attend up to three all expense paid day trips to Italian cities outside Florence, not to mention the events with free food and class field trips. You get easy access to all the amazing cities in Europe for spring / fall breaks or simply long weekends.

Michelle

THE BEST

Florence was the best place to study abroad! Italy is such a beautiful country, one of the best in Europe, and I would do anything to go back. Everyone there is so nice, the food is amazing, and NYU does a great job of helping students adjust and have a great semester. A lot of people there speak English, which was something I was worried about, but there's no reason to have any doubts coming to Florence. Plus, the weather is mostly warm all year!

Caitlyn

Could not imagine a more perfect semester

I had the most incredible semester abroad at NYU Florence and would jump at the chance to go back. The campus is beautiful, the classes are manageable, the staff is extremely friendly, and the living quarters are comfortable and conducive to forming a community. And Florence itself is an incredible city with art, culture, amazing food, and such easy access to endless travel options! Highly recommend!!

Living quarters closer to campus
Gaudav

Firenzeeeeeee

Cobblestone streets and pizza on every corner, it’s essentially a semester long vacation with some take home work. Best experience I’ve had so far. Try something new it’s really worth the time and the money. You won’t regrret this and grow as a person and a student as well. Great time all in all I would recommended this to everyone throughout my life one of the best opprutnties available to you right now so just take it and run with it you’ll be alright haha

Maria

NYU Florence: 'Cause why not?

Study abroad in Florence, why not? It doesn't hurt and you can only gain. Well technically it hurt for me because I got hit by a mo-ped while walking to school one day, so definitely BE CAREFUL. But aside from that, there are lots of museums to go to. Class trips are a thing, so if you don't want to spend money on all the important landmarks in Florence, just check your syllabus. The view is nice, mountains plentiful, sunsets beautiful, as you might expect in a Tuscan landscape. Of course everything in Europe is in relative close proximity to each other, but I suggest taking some weekends off, as in stay, enjoy the street music, the restaurants, discover secret local hang outs, or just climb up one of their many hills and enjoy the view. One thing to note is that everyone's study abroad experience is different, and you don't really know what your experience is going to be like until you leave.

Read my full story
Karen

Mi Piace Italia

I loved studying abroad at NYU Florence. The campus was incredibly beautiful and was much more of a community than NYU New York. The staff is incredibly supportive and involved. There were events almost every night such as La Pietra Dialogues Educational talks and Cupcakes and Color. NYU Florence also brought us on trips around Italy! My favorite was to Cinque Terre, where we went hiking with our resident assistance, Eduardo. My professors were very involved, knowing every student on a first and last name basis. They were extremely concerned with using Florence as a platform for learning. I took Cultural Foundations III and Social Foundations III while abroad. I got to study text about the culture and history of Italy while being able to directly visit and seeing the pieces and places. I had Elementary Intensive Italian three days a week with Monica Merli, who was incredibly understanding and kind; she did an amazing job of teaching us a brand new language. I volunteered at Casa San Felice, taking care of babies for women who were domestic violence victims. I struggled with communicating in Italian, but there was a lot of support from both the NYU Florence community and native Italians. I lived in an apartment near the Duomo on Via Ricasoli. It was a beautiful apartment and I would always hear music and crowds of excited tourist from the street. Living in Italy was a big change for me; I'd never left New York before and it was my first time on a plane. At first it was incredibly scary, but you start to make a home of the city. Italy is a beautiful place and very easy to fall in love with. The culture is different- but that doesn't mean that it isn't worth learning or experiencing. My favorite memory was in the south of Italy, in a small town near the Amalfi Coast called Vietri Sul Mare. There were no tourist, just me and two girl friends. We spent all day on the black sand beach with natives. I spent hours watching a father and his baby daughter chasing after their puppy near the shore. It was my favorite moment because the sun was setting and disappearing behind the mountains, the lights in the houses flickered on, and it felt like pure peace. In Italy, I experienced the kindest of individuals. It really is a beautiful, loving culture, and I've learned a lot from it.

A big tip is to remember that you are in someone else's country, someone else's home. They do not owe you anything- you are there to learn and respect them. Remember to keep your valuables to yourself because there are a lot of pick pocketors. Use GoEuro for transportation and Italo and Transitalia have special train deals on the weekends!

-More NYU safe rides / security guards around the city (cabs can be hard to get)