Study Abroad in China at NYU Shanghai

Take courses that count toward your degree requirements at NYU Shanghai, which offers 16 majors and a liberal arts curriculum. NYU Shanghai is the newest of NYU's three degree-granting campuses that form the backbone of the University's fully interconnected global network. At NYU Shanghai you'll take China-centric courses taught by expert faculty who help bring to life the history and unique culture of China through trips to art galleries, local businesses, and film screenings.

You'll take a Chinese language course, and be paired with a fluent student to further improve your language skills. The NYU Shanghai campus is located in a 15-story building in Pudong, the heart of a thriving economic zone and Shanghai's commercial center. The building features classrooms, an expansive library, music practice rooms, kitchen and dining facilities, and a fitness center. Learn more and access the online application on the NYU Global Programs website.

• Earn college credit abroad!
  • Learn outside of the classroom!
  • Immerse yourself in Chinese culture

Corbin

Shanghai Fall 2019 Review

Super fun! Building is really nice! I don’t like cash anymore because of China. Get Alipay, get Yi Dian Dian. Drink boba everyday, it’s cheap. Eat chipotle before going, they don’t have it there. Take Professor Raymond Ro’s classes, he’s the best professor I’ve ever ever had. Take Marketing, take Management and organizations! Go to Puxi on the weekends for brunch or for night life. School’s super close to Lujiazui so there’s a lot of things to do after school. Go to IFC Mall, go see the pearl tower and the tallest bookstore

SET UP A BANK ACCOUNT. EVERYTHING IS ON YOUR PHONE. EVEN MONEY.
Emma

Shanghai Review

Super fun! I loved being in Shanghai and meeting different people. The people were pretty friendly and the efficiency in the city was unbelievable. I could go out the dorm without cash or my wallet. Everything I needed was on my phone. It lessened my traveling weight, plus it was so easy to book high-speed train tickets and plane tickets. I could travel to close-by provinces within 3 hrs and come back within the day. It was awesome. I loved yellow mountain and Beijing. Both were different experiences but very enjoyable.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
Setting up the bank account beforehand, setting up wechat!
Adrienne

Shanghai Review

Shanghai is an amazing city to travel and study in. I went as a student, but I had the chance to travel on the weeek ends to near cities and water towns. Personally, I visited Wuxi where my family is from. In shanghai, getting around is super easy. We travel by bus, bikes, metros, cabs, and Chinese Uber. All of these are really cheap. In terms of food, you can get really good food for not a lot of money. You could order food from a delivery app called Eleme. I love shanghai, I recommend it for anybody.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
Accessibility of travelling
The metro station is extremely easy to use, public biking is really cheap. Chinese Uber is easy to use for foreigners and extremely cheap
Sam

Had a blast!

Definetly recommend you go to Shanghai! Theres so much to explore and see, and so much culture. I went to Suzhou, Beijing, Guilin, and much more.
The food is very good. Theres definetly less options for those with dietary restrictions but they have so many cuisines.
The school was very good. It definetly felt like a school and the community was very nice. The teachers were very helpful.
I would definetly reccommend you go to Shanghai. Great people, great food, great culture, and great experience.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I would travel more and eat more good food and meet more people.
Brian

Life-Changing Way to Experience China, Learn Chinese, and Study at an Amazing University

NYU Shanghai is a pioneering program that offered me the opportunity to achieve my goal of living in China, gaining fluency in Chinese, and continuing my studies as an NYU student. The campus is located in Pudong and is a new and beautifully built building with great resources for academic, language, and social success while living in China. Housing was in Pudong as well, a little far from campus, but made it possible for me to have a place to recharge and experience getting used to life in China. The Chinese language program at NYU is TOP NOTCH - these teachers know what they are doing and really care about their students. It's easy to get overwhelmed or feel a little isolated sometimes while living in such an expansive city as Shanghai, but I think NYUSH does a great job of making students feel welcome. Dining options within the school are good, and fitness center (small but sometimes useful), café, library, etc. are all good as well. Certainly a program to be recommended for a great semester or academic year abroad.

Continuing to uplevel quality of housing, health facilities (larger fitness facilities, filtered air in dorms, etc.) as well as opportunities to connect with existing NYU Shanghai community who all already know each other - sometimes is challenging when coming in as a new "study away" student.