Spend the Fall in Spain at NYU Madrid

Spend the Fall in Spain at NYU Madrid

Experience the madrileño life this fall at NYU Madrid, where you have the chance to improve your Spanish language skills with intensive language courses and immersive homestays. At NYU Madrid, you can choose from courses like anthropology, business, politics, and more that can count toward your major or minor requirements. All of your courses are NYU-approved, so the credits you earn should be easily transferable to your home university. If you're fluent in Spanish, you can take up to two courses at the prestigious Universidad Autónoma de Madrid. Additionally, there are opportunities for internships, class-related excursions, and regional trips to iconic cities like Granada and Toledo to really give you a taste of the Spanish culture. Learn more and access the online application on the NYU Global Programs website. A word to the wise: the spring program tends to fill early, and you might get shut out, so apply now for fall, and secure your spot for an amazing semester abroad!

Direct Enrollment
Art History
Cultural Studies
Global Studies
Middle Eastern Studies
Social Sciences
Statement of Purpose
Letters of Recommendation
The cost provided is an estimate and expenses vary greatly by student. Airfare charges often depend on the departure city, and immigration costs depend on the citizenship of the student. The cost of living is affected by exchange rates and other factors which can fluctuate daily. In addition, these numbers do not include tuition. For more clarification on site costs, please visit our website.

I think NYU Madrid is great, but be prepared for rigorous coursework, as well as the fact that the program is mostly NYU students. If you are from another school, put yourself out there in order to make friends because some people come with friends already. The staff is great and all of the professors are amazing. If you're looking for an academic experience as well as a cultural one, this program is for you. If you're planning on skipping school to travel, party, etc., you're better off somewhere else.

Cheaper housing, allowing you to miss classes (at least 1) without a grade penalty.

Junior year at NYU Madrid

I'm an NYU junior studying politics, development, and Spanish. So far I have spent one complete semester at NYU Madrid and have just started my second. In my experience, the academics at this campus have been exceptional. First, the class size is usually less than 15 - I have had one class with about 20 students, but this was by far one of the most popular on campus. The small class size allows you to get to know the professors and other students much better than in some large classes at main campus. This is especially helpful if your professors are Spaniards, since they can help you with the city and culture. There is a large range of classes here: Spanish history and culture, business, human rights and international law, urban studies, migration studies, and more. My top class so far has been Migrations & Cultural Diversity. I have been surprised by the quality of the classes here; they've been my favorite of my time as an undergraduate. Many require some form of research about/in the city, which helps you get to know the culture. The student life and academic support staff are as a whole very knowledgeable and helpful, especially with navigating classes and the new city. They also can connect you easily with medical help (including some great mental health options) and have a network of professionals in many fields.

NYU Madrid offers two housing options: a student residence and a homestay. I spent my first semester in the residence, which is centrally located in the Malasana neighborhood, very safe, modern, clean, and has a rooftop area with seats/tables/ping pong. The guest policy is pretty strict, but overall it's a good place to live. I don't have personal experience with a homestay, but all of my friends in homestays have had positive experiences. The only complaints are that some have curfews at night, and many have conservative/traditional hosts.

The city itself is a great place to spend a semester. Madrid's nightlife has a big reputation, and it lives up to it, if that's what you're interested in. There's also great bars, concert venues, museums, and cafés for more relaxed options. The public transit is incredible, so much better than New York. Twenty euros a month gets you access to the subway (which is fast, on time, and clean) and the bus system (same), as well as the light rail network which can bring you to towns as far as an hour away from Madrid. Great for day trips. My advice would be to take advantage of the transit system and go to new neighborhoods/towns as often as possible. It is as a whole safe, but some students (including friends of mine) have had things such as phones and laptops stolen from bars and public transportation. Americans are targets in any city, so be careful to keep your things close. Some of my POC friends have had troubles with racist remarks, stares, and other disrespectful behavior from Spaniards. It's a much less diverse city than New York.

If you're interested in interning, Madrid is a pretty accessible city for that. There are many agencies that help American students find internship placements, and work culture as a whole here is pretty relaxed and welcoming. I'll be interning and doing research at an organization of/for LGBTI refugees this semester, a placement I found through an agency.

Overall I'd recommend this program to anyone who wants to get better at their Spanish, live in a city that's of and connected to Europe as a whole, and study in a country with a really unique and fascinating history.

Tu Anh

Great Semester

NYU Madrid has a small campus so everyone gets to know each other, which is super helpful if you want to make close friends. The dorm is beautiful, modern and is located in one of the best neighborhoods in Madrid. I also like how NYU Madrid offer classes on Monday through Thursday only, so everyone has Fridays off to travel. Therefore, I was able to explore Europe in various ways within one semester. The faculty and staff of the school are very friendly and helpful. I truly think going to Madrid has been one of the best decisions I’ve made in college.

I hope the Stern classes here can be improved.

Fall 2017 in Madrid

My semester abroad in Madrid has definitely been my best semester thus far at NYU. In addition to loving Madrid and Spain in general, I loved how small the group was. With roughly 100 students, it was really easy to get to know everyone and a lot less overwhelming than at the New York campus. All of my professors were amazing and I know that my Spanish has improved so much.
But the most rewarding experience for me was volunteering with t-oigo, an organization that pairs English-speaking students with Spanish children with hearing impairments in order to help the children practice speaking English. I heard about it through the NYU Madrid Student Life and I'm so glad that I joined. I was paired with a 5 year-old boy and became so close to not only him but his entire family. They have even invited me back to visit them. I truly feel like I have a family back in Madrid and I am so grateful for that.

I think the attendance policy should be changed to be more similar to the policy in New York.

Fall 2017

As a city, Madrid was vibrant and so fun! The NYU Madrid location is very small (but I heard they will move to a better location soon), and most of the desks are broken (but again, I have heard that new desks will be purchased in the coming semester). The current location is a 40 minute subway ride from school, but subway cards are cheap (20 euros a month), and Madrid is close to many European countries that you can travel to by plane or bus. Classes are not as great as in some other NYU locations, but definitely passable.

The dorms are absolutely beautiful and so nice, and although the cost is way higher than if you rented by yourself, it is still a very nice furnished apartment-like residence. Each person gets a single bedroom, with shared bathroom/kitchen.

Excursions by the NYU team are free, and there are about 3 day trips to areas like Segovia and El Escorial. In addition, there is a free overnight trip of your own choosing (three options). These were definitely some of the highlights of my experience at NYU Madrid.

My experience in Madrid!

here was a specific reason I chose to study abroad in Madrid: to learn Spanish. I realized that I liked Spanish a lot, and decided to take a summer course at an institution in New York to improve a bit quicker. There, a met a fellow student who told me that she had studied in Barcelona for a while, and that it had definitely helped her improve. That's when I decided I wanted to study abroad in Spain through NYU.
The program definitely met my expectations. Taking two courses fully in Spanish was definitely challenging, but so different from what I was used to back then. Even if sometimes I didn't understand half of the things the professor was talking about, it helped me step out of my comfort zone and really use other skills to make out what she was saying, and even respond to her. It also forced me to review material and constantly practice, as I knew that being clueless in class was not an option. The professors there were so helpful and so eager to help us accelerate our Spanish skills, and I truly believe that these Spanish courses I took in Madrid were one in a lifetime opportunities.
As for socially, it was exactly how I heard it was going to be. Based on some Google-searches, many people who had studied in Madrid wrote that everything was mostly at a slower-pace than it is in New York City, and that the people are extremely friendly and amiable. And this was true. Whenever I was lost or needed help using the ATM machine, all I needed to do was ask a local Madrileno and he/she would be so willing to help out. The night life is amazing, as it seems like everyone is partying together in one huge group (especially at local bars). With so many places to go with a metro station always somewhere nearby, it was so exciting to go to new places to try Spanish cuisine. I loved the break for the fast-paced city so much that even now, I yearn to go back for another semester.

I would love if there were more school-wide trips to other parts of Spain. We went to a few but there were more I wanted to go to, but I do realize there are always time/money constraints.

Summer 2017 in Madrid through NYU

I had a great experience spending my summer abroad in Madrid, Spain. I was able to really engage in my classes because of how much I was also learning outside of the classroom from being located in Madrid. I traveled to many other countries while also spending time exploring all Madrid has to offer. I loved my teachers and learned so much from them, I still see one of my teachers from the summer often, as he is located in New York now as well. The staff was very welcoming and made up of a tight knit community always willing to help. My summer in Madrid was a formative experience both in and out of the classroom and I would highly recommend the program to others!

The trips planned within the program can be improved.

NYU Madrid - Spring 2016

Starting off my semester at NYU Madrid was certainly a leap of faith on my end. For the first time, I was traveling by myself to a foreign country, navigating not only city streets and restaurant menus on my own, but also cultural norms, academics taught in another language, and overall, a completely new experience outside of what I was used to. Simply put, I fell in love with Madrid. Everyday, there is something that reminds me of the beauty of the city. I firmly believe that a part of the reason that I fell in love with Madrid is because of the NYU Madrid program.

Through the NYU Madrid Intercambio program, I was able to meet quite a few madrileños, the natives of Madrid. I still skype and chat with a handful, so I can maintain my Spanish. Not only did I form last connections, but I also had memorable courses. One of my favorite courses had me studying famous works of art in the Prado Museum every single Thursday afternoon. Apart from school, the cultural divide made me realize how much I missed home, but as I slowly accustomed myself to Spanish culture, I realized that I preferred the relaxed tone of it all to the busyness of New York. I could go to class in the day, have una bocadilla de calamares con sangria for lunch, head back to class, and then proceed about my evening. The classes were difficult in that the ones I signed up for were all taught in Spanish, but the professors all really cared. Never have I seen university professors so invested in knowing me as a person.

As far as traveling and nightlife goes, you cannot beat Madrid's location. You're so close to Portugal and to France as they are your neighbors, but everywhere else in the western half of Europe is just a short flight away. But, don't forget the wonders of Spain itself. There are so many beautiful cities to visit such as Valencia, Barcelona, San Sebastian, Bilbao, Alicante, Cordoba, and so much more. Spanish culture has more to offer than just Madrid and Barcelona. Moreover, the nightlife in Madrid is insane! If you're the type of person who enjoys going out, I promise you that you will not be disappointed. There are so many clubs and bars, and even if you don't like drinking, go out, dance, and socialize! The Spaniards truly know how to enjoy themselves, and their love of life is so apparent in the way they unwind on the weekends.

If I could go back to Madrid tomorrow, I would in a heartbeat. The NYU Madrid program and staff were a strong catalyst for helping me fall in love with not only the city of Madrid, but also the Spanish culture. I promise that if you choose Madrid as your study away site, you will make memories to last a lifetime. I know it changed mine; I hope it changes yours too.

Apartment options would be nice, as I stayed in an apartment while I was there, but if the residence halls there are decent (which I have yet to see), then I suppose they have effectively taken the place of the apartment living options! Also, any other trips to Spanish cities coordinated by the NYU Madrid staff would be wonderful! I wish I had taken more time to explore Spain as a whole, but NYU Madrid-organized trips were consistently above and beyond my expectations.

About NYU Global Programs

NYU Global Programs provides study abroad experiences at 11 academic centers in Accra, Ghana; Berlin, Germany; Buenos Aires, Argentina; Florence, Italy; London, England; Madrid, Spain; Paris, France; Prague, Czech Republic; Sydney, Australia; Tel...