Teach with Disney English in China

Teach with Disney English in China

Your adventure with Disney starts now, come and see how far we can take you!

Since the opening of our flagship center in Shanghai in 2008, Disney English has grown across China, opening our doors to children and shaping their love for learning. Join the team that provides an award-winning academic curriculum that engages children the way children learn – through stories, songs, characters and above all - fun!

We’re looking for passionate, out-going, native-like speaking English Language Teachers. You’ll get to discover a new culture, inspire children to learn a new language and grow and develop your own skills in ways you never dreamed. It's all possible at Disney English.

Apply now for May/June arrival dates into China!

Asia » China » Shenzhen
Asia » China
1 Year+
Salary / Benefits
What we offer:
• Salaries start at $1,610 USD (10,000 RMB) per month (dependent on qualifications/experience)
• Monthly housing allowance up to $782 USD (up to 4,850 RMB)
• Resettlement allowance of $1,127 USD (7,000 RMB)
• Paid airfare to China and a monthly travel stipend toward return trip
• Three weeks hotel accommodation provided upon arrival in China
• Health, dental, paid sick and vacation time
• Robust academic training including assistance obtaining a TEFL-C certification as well as a Rosetta Stone Mandarin license
• Various Disney discounts* including a limited theme parks admission pass
*Benefits subject to change

Disney will give you the opportunity to learn, grow, teach and lead – apply now!
Nanjing, Suzhou, Hangzhou, Ningbo

Housing is not provided by Disney English. You will get a housing allowance set according to the city you will be working in. Disney English provides access to a well known realtor who will aid you if needed in finding an apartment after you arrive. Your living arrangements are completely up to you.
There are currently 3 steps to the application. 1. you showing your interest by filling out the application form a) Disney English will then view this information and if you are a good fit they'll send you the next step 2. A questionnaire asking about various opinions and situations b) again pass this part and you get forwarded to the next 3. A Skype interview with one of the recruiters - asking f...
Disney English often offers contracts of 12, 15 or 18 months depending on the demand and need for different cities. The most usual is 12 or 15. It has been known that once you do a 15 month contract you can change your next one to 12. You can however leave whenever you want of course, but you will be required at different time periods throughout your contract to pay back various things that have b...

• Benefits
  • Facilities

Tara
Shanghai, China
Miami University

VoluntEARS!

VoluntEARS are volunteer opportunities offered by the Walt Disney Company around the world. I have been able to experience many different aspects of China by volunteering my time! The best experience was painting a It's a Small World mural on the wall of a local primary school! I am not an artist, but they planned for this by tracing the images for us! Definitely a great part of my time in China!

I have very few negative things to say about this experience, but I would say the adjustment to the Chinese culture took longer than I thought it would. If I could go back, I would prepare more for the differences before I arrived!

Holly
Guang Zhou Dong Zhan, Tianhe Qu, Guangzhou Shi, Guangdong Sheng, China, 510620
University of Worcester

Disney Magic

I've currently on my 3rd contract with Disney English. I've worked in two different cities for the company.
I've so many stories I don't really know where to start....Ok...Well before I joined Disney English I taught in a few secondary schools in England, I was never given my own tutor group and I was never in the schools long enough to see the students develop etc. This has to be the foremost reason why I've stayed so long at Disney English (and not because my manager threatened to steal my passport and hide it if I ever said I was leaving) Having the students renew and keep coming back to class, having parents demand that one spare seat in your class because they want their child to make up in your classes only and noone elses really strikes a cord. Having the parents message you in the group chats whilst your on holiday saying that their child is asking when you are coming back and they send you voice messages too. Knowing that a family really can't afford the price increase but they want the best for the child and still renew anyway.

I've just come back from my home leave and one of my students saw me in the corridor, ran down it and jump hugged me. I swear that my heart skipped a beat and tears filled up my eyes. I don't think I could ever find a job that would produce the same array of emotions that I've found here.

There are of course the usual low moments, but they are to be expected when you are away from home and the host countries rules aren't what you are used to. But they make you a better person and much more flexible for future positions where ever your next journey might be.

As I stated in my main review, you will be working in a country where rules are slightly dated or obscure. Disney has come to China - please note that Disney English is not a reflection on the Disney company but its own separate identity, and it wants to fit in and be recognized. There will obviously be some bumps in the road, but the company does listen and it's always looking to improve and adapt the best possible way. There are yearly reviews and some great things have come out of it. Such as; online training modules that you can do in your own time vie D-Elearn - I've used this a lot, some of the courses are done via Harvard.
The content does need updating - this is an ongoing process and has taken some massive leaps forward already this year.

Alicia
china
Capella University

Disney Englidh. should you work there?

I will make this very short and straight to the point! Disney english compensates very well;the only positive they get from me. IF you are a true educator,this job is not for you! This is not a school,its consider a center;which i like to call a daycare center. You are more of an actor than a teacher(educator)! you have to put on a show in front of parents;which they call demos! If you like bouncing around and acting a fool with children,then you found the perfect job!

Disney
Beijing, China

This is a great experience for first time teachers overseas.

Coming to China can be a challenge. Just going through the application process can be difficult. But the experiences you will have both teaching and learning about the culture are worth the effort. Disney English is a growing company. They have only been around for about 3 years and have grown enormously in that time. With growth comes challenges, people who are open minded, flexible and willing to make an effort will go far. There is a lot of potential to move up in the company and to grow with them.

They have a fun and energetic atmosphere to teach in. The children are adorable, smart and willing to learn. Most employees of Disney get to know each other on a first name basis, which helps make everyone feel more comfortable and welcome. You have an interactive board and curriculum to help keep the kids attention. Fellow trainers are willing to lend a hand when needed or advice. Be prepared to share a classroom, you may not have one all to yourself.

Overall, working for Disney is a great experience. Starting from the training provided when you on board to the support that you get from your fellow trainers and center staff. One downside is that because of growth, things change and sometimes those changes aren't fully explained in a timely fashion. Being flexible and understanding are very important when this happens. This also goes for ordering supplies and sharing w/ other trainers when there are shortages.

Most employees work either thurs-mon or fri-tues. This gives everyone wed off to meet people from other centers and time to take day trips together during the week when places are less crowded. The downside is you won't have much of a life on the weekends. But you will get to know your fellow trainers well and make some good friends.

Anonymous
Shanghai, China
University of New Hampshire

A singing and dancing good time

At Disney English I work with advanced technology, unique teaching content, and energetic people on a daily basis. Disney provides its language teachers with digital ELL content, but everyone is expected to create their own lesson plans to support the week’s target language. The kids who come to DE are adorable and extremely smart, and we usually have full support from the parents of our learners. Overall, the working environment is great and I have fun every day.

Things at Disney English are constantly changing, so this is a good job for someone who is flexible and spontaneous. Because of the rapid changes, new employees often hear a variety of advice or instructions from different people (the one downside to the job), so some of the new teachers come to China with negative experiences about the recruiting and application process. Do not despair – it all gets better once you get to China!

Working at Disney English is not difficult, but it is tiring. There is a lot of singing and dancing involved, and we often work overtime to cover other people’s lessons if they are sick (no substitute teachers). As far as the social scene, most Disney employees become good friends and Disney offers fun social events from time to time. There is a lot of room for growth with the company, and it’s a great job to add to your resume. :)

Disney has been publishing children's books and developing English Language Learning materials for more than 70 years. Drawing upon this knowledge, Disney has created Disney English, an innovative form of English Language Learning that will inspire your child to learn English more effectively.