• China
Middle School High School

Program Details

Qualifications
  • Bachelor's degree or higher
  • Ability to a pass a criminal record check
  • In good health
  • Enthusiastic, outgoing and ready to make a change
Classroom Audience
Middle School High School

Pricing

Salary / Benefits
Salary ranging from 8000 to 18,000 RMB per month
Paid winter vacation in January for around four weeks
Group chat with 50+ other applicants departing at the same time
£650 programme fee:

What's included?
Pre-departure online TEFL course along with a three-day classroom-based course in Beijing
Two week Beijing Summer Camp with accommodation and food supplied
Organized trip to historical landmarks in Beijing
Full guidance and support throughout the whole process and once in China
Assistance with criminal record check, visa process and authentication of documents
A guaranteed paid placement teaching English in China with a CEAIE approved school
The Fewer Things Survival Guide to China
Private group chat with all applicants
What's Included (Extra)

120 Hour TEFL Course, 2 week summer camp in Beijing, a 10 month paid teaching placement in a city of your choice, free accommodation and 12 weeks holiday.

Aug 22, 2022
Jul 02, 2022
21 travelers are looking at this program

Our China Programme is still running although there are many difficulties to enter China right now, we still have graduates leaving regularly! The next available fly out date is February 2023!

- Salaries range from 8000 to 18,000 RMB per month!
- FREE accommodation (excluding Shanghai, due to a higher salary)
- 4-6 weeks winter vacation in January!
- Flight reimbursement (both ways)
- Visa reimbursement (depending on location)

What Else?
- 120 Hour TEFL course, extensive training & orientation week in all locations
- A free Beijing Summer Camp with accommodation and food supplied (Covid dependant)
- 24/7 guidance and support through out the whole process and once in China
- Assistance with criminal record check, visa process and authentication of documents
- A guaranteed paid placement teaching English in China with an approved school

• 4-6 weeks winter vacation
  • Group chat with all of the other applicants - 50+ teachers
  • Public School Placements

Current Teaching Jobs

View the latest teaching job postings by The Fewer Things.

• 5 rating 97.06%
  • Benefits 4.7
  • Facilities 4.55
Jared

excellent program

The Fewer Things is a great program that did everything one could ask in getting me to Thailand. I had no clue in where to begin and they walked me through every step that I needed and kept in contact throughout the process to make sure that I understood what I needed to do and what documents I needed to send at what time. If I had a question Jaemie was always quick to answer. My time in Thailand has been fantastic and I am pleased with my placement. It is a rural area but I do appreciate the more genuine Thailand experience that it provides. Even after I have been here they regularly ask me how things are going and that is appreciated. The school I am at has been very accommodating and has always been so nice to me. The accommodation is a little bare bones with a pretty hard bed but I do not mind it too much. Overall the value that The Fewer Things offers you is really good and if you have no idea where to begin with TEFL they offer you a great service that is definitely worth it.

Pros
  • great service that walks you through step by step
  • groupchat that lets you meet the other teachers
  • good support after you arrive
Cons
  • accommodation a little barebones
  • rural area if you are not into that
Angie

Moving to Shanghai!

I would highly recommend The Fewer Things to anybody who is looking to move to China to teach English. From the initial stages of applying The Fewer things has been nothing but supportive and knowledgeable on the process. Moving to Shanghai in the middle of a pandemic was not easy, there were many hurdles but the process was made less daunting with the help of The Fewer Things as they were always there to answer questions and guide you every step of the way.

After arriving in China The Fewer things has continued to be supportive and helpful. They check in regularly to make sure everything is going well and make sure you are adjusting to your new life. The Fewer Things has been helpful in all aspects of life here in China, from giving you advise and tips on teaching to recommending restaurants and bars! The language barrier can be difficult at times when communicating with your employers in Shanghai but The Fewer Things is always there to help. Whenever I've needed some guidance or help with anything The Fewer Things has alway been quick to help. The Fewer Things has made the transition into teaching and moving abroad very smooth!

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
Waiting for my COVID results during my 27 hour layover! I travelled with a friend so we try to not think about it and got some food and chilled in one of the airports bars.
Carla

Guardian angel

I would have been absolutely clueless without the help from the fewer things. They have been very supportive and knowledgeable throughout the whole process. Whenever, I am unsure or need help they are always there for support and guidance. While being in China I have encountered some difficult situations with housing but this was easily resolved and sorted with the help of the fewer things.
The fewer things has made my transition from England to China very smooth. Being alone in a new country can be very daunting but knowing that the fewer things are always there is very reassuring.

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
The most nerve racking experience was when I went rock climbing over the yandang mountains! A group of us went on an adventurous weekend trip to the mountains to explore more of China.
Dexter

The Fewer Things: Shanghai

I can highly recommend The Fewer Things to anybody who is looking to travel to China to teach english or looking to begin a new adventure! Jaemi, the director, is incredibly knowledgeable of the entire process and was there to help me along every step of the way pre-departure. Whatever questions I had or confusion I was in, he was able to answer or find the answer to all of the questions I had. The season of COVID has provided numerous different extra hurdles for anyone making their way to China, and Jaemi was able to thoughtfully and skillfully guide me through each step. He connected me to helpful resources here in the states to help answer the questions he did not have the direct answer to. Regardless of whatever question I had about the process (and I had a lot!), Jaemi could either immediately answer or help me find the answer in a timely manner.

When I got to China, he was still providing lots of support. He guided me in finding housing (since teaching in Shanghai does not come with accommodations because of the higher pay), and yet again was able to answer all of my questions about the day to day life in Shanghai. Further, he has been able to connect me with numerous other opportunities to use my skills here in Shanghai.

You cannot go wrong if you decide to use The Fewer Things to travel to China. You will not only be working with knowledgeable people who want to help you, but also people who are willing to support you on a personal level by checking in on you as you are preparing to move to a new country and checking in on you to make sure you are adjusting alright once you arrive. The support you get from The Fewer Things is unparalleled! I highly recommend traveling with them.

Ben

TFT experience

The Fewer Things has been really supportive and helpful through the move to Shanghai, China. As it was during the Covid pandemic and such a hard time both to travel and to get to China TFT supported me and helped me a lot with the process of getting here. They also introduced me to a load of other teachers who were also moving out around the same time, which was very helpful to speak to people in a very similar situation. The same teachers I met through these group chats have been good friends that have helped with the teaching in China and 2 of them are also now my flatmates which has made things a lot easier since arriving.

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
Waiting 30 hours for my Covid test results in an airport without a bed! TFT bought me a drink and kept me distracted while I waited.
Cedrick

Shanghai experience

It’s my first month teaching in Shanghai and my experience was a lot more different to the applicants pre-Covid. There was a lot preparation I had to go through to get to China (e.g. quarantined for 3 weeks in Xiamen, travel restrictions, finding flights, visa application and legalisation etc.). Throughout my journey the Fewerthings were with me every step of the way, especially when arriving to China! Jaemi has been amazing at answering and reassuring me with all worries, even when they were a tad silly. I wouldn’t know where I would be without them, as they’re still in touch with us while we are here too. If you wanna know how my experience is going, follow the fewerthings or my insta: Cedrick_jison for more information! I’ll be willing to answer them!

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
Chicken feet when I asked for chicken skewers… tbh I should have been more specific
Jake

Wonderful support in Beijing

I had been working in Beijing for a year or so and then the pandemic struck! I had to head home to U.K. and felt devastated my journey had came to and end. I started researching for companies who could help get me back there once the border opened and I came across The Fewer Things, it was so refreshing to hear their thoughts on going back to China and I appreciated their honesty when telling me how difficult this would be, but how it was possible with some determination.

I had originally planned to go back in September 2020, but the process got delayed due to myself getting Covid and having to push it back. It was great to have the support through this and they never gave up and gave me many options on what I could do next, but ultimately my heart was set on China, and then after months of waiting I finally made it back earlier this year! I am so grateful for school, local teachers and the new friends I have made here so far. It really could not have been possible without TFT's knowledge and determination.

I plan to move to Shanghai in the New Year which TFT are also supporting me with!

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
Navigating this whole move through Covid felt very daunting at times and I often felt like it would never happen.. but a calm head and persistence paid off!
Jenisha

Wow

Travelling during the pandemic definitely made it really difficult but i can say now, it was all worth it. Jaemi is honestly a god send. He made a very difficult process straightforward by providing support and guidance. And he is also available to speak whenever, which is helpful because sometimes the questions come at the most random times. Im currently in Shanghai& Im super excited for the year ahead! I will be teaching middle school students & im really glad i decided to join this programme!

What was your funniest moment?
My first night out in Shanghai was absolutely wild because i literally walked into a Gay bar (obviously i had no idea) but I had an amazing time and met the most loveliest people!!!!! They had a runway show in the bar , as it was Halloween, so they were showcasing their outfits and it was just surreal. Everybody looked like they walked out of a magazine.