ISAC University Teaching Program in China

students around a table learning with powerpoint in the background
students around a table learning with powerpoint in the background
ludong university
ludong university

The ISAC University Teaching Program (ISAC-UTP) offers a life-changing experience for teachers. You will have the opportunity to work at a Chinese public university while experiencing Chinese culture in a way that can never be done as a tourist or traveller. Teachers are appointed as foreign language experts in different host universities. You will be teaching your mother language to university students from different colleges between 18-24 years old.

• Low working hours

• Benefits 9.3
  • Facilities 8
Oscar

Professional and Reliable Hiring Service

I have been teaching in the ISAC Teach in China Program as a university English teacher in the city of Ji'an of Jiangxi Province since March, 2019.
I am teaching English speaking and writing to university students.
ISAC has a very transparent hiring process.
The response is prompt, my communication with ISAC and my host university is quite professional.
The staff are pleasant.
The only cons I found is that ISAC acts as liaisons to hiring organizations (public universities and schools in China), as such there are certain elements that are out of their control.
I am quite satisfied with the service received and would consider working with ISAC again if things stay the same.
With all that being said, I do highly recommend this program. :)

Mary

A Great Year at Hangzhou Normal University

1. What makes me come to teach in China?

My name is Mary and I am from Michigan. Currently I am teaching at Hangzhou Normal University. I came to China because during my time teaching ESL in America, I had the opportunity to teach Chinese business men and women who were taking business classes at the university where I was teaching. I wanted to come and experience their home and have a complete cultural exchange. In addition, the job market for teaching in China is fantastic.

2. What are the things I like/don’t like about the school/the city?

I love teaching at Hangzhou Normal University – it gives me freedom to create my schedule around what works for me. I still stay quite busy though. I enjoy living on campus and having a built-in sense of community. My students are the BEST. The connections and friendships I have created with them are so cool.

One thing I don’t like is how removed we are from the city. We are a little on the outskirts, and it is inconvenient to go places. However, there is a Metro line that is opening this year right by our campus and that will really change a lot as far as accessibility, so that really won’t be as big of a thing next year.

3. Are there any activities/events at your school?

Oh yeah! Since it is a University, there are a lot of performances, sporting events, competitions, etc. Which you could go to as many as you want! All of the teachers have to have what we call “English Corners” which are casual settings for the students to practice their English. One teacher has a gaming club where they play a DnD type game. Another teacher has a travel club where they go see local Hangzhou sights. I go to the coffee shop on campus and students come and join me and we just sit and talk about whatever they want! It is such a fun thing we get to do.

Another big event on our campus is that we do help with the China Daily 21st Century VIPKid English speaking competition. I have had several opportunities to work this – first in some preliminary competitions as a Question Master, but then this past month, I was able to go to the National Semi Finals that were held here in Hangzhou and I got to be a scoring judge. I get to meet impressive students and educators from all across China. It is really an incredible opportunity that I had no idea I would get to have!

4. Are there any interesting or awkward stories?

One is that I totally didn’t realize that “Air Conditioning” here means both cold air and hot air. So, when my air conditioning was pointed out to me when I first arrived, I thought it was just cold air. I spent the first 3 days with no heat. In December. I was freezing. I finally asked someone if there was somewhere that I could buy a little room heater – that was when I learned that I did in fact have hot air. I was MUCH happier after that!!

5. What’s the most rewarding thing during your time in China?

Absolutely my students and the connections I am making. The people I am privileged to work with are so open and lovely. That is hands down the best thing. Of course, working through those expat problems and figuring things out is also rewarding. The moment I learned how to order delivery to my apartment was so exciting. It’s little things, but it helps to remind me that I am overcoming and growing, and that is a large part of this experience – proving to yourself that you can be successful in a difficult situation.

6. What’s your overall experience with ISAC?

Wonderful. I really love the people at ISAC and the support they provide. The help and support they provided me during job search and then when I arrived was so necessary. It really made a difference to have between me and the school who was really looking out for me and had my back. Plus, they are such fun and welcoming people. I just wish I had more time to visit the office, but my school keeps me really busy – which is a good thing!

Karin

An Excellent Program

I highly recommend the ISAC Program.
Lucy Ji, the HR Manager of the Program, has been a wonderful help to me from the first email invitation for a preliminary Skype interview through a daunting Z visa application and right up to my arrival in China.
She guided me through the entire process, regularly keeping me updated and even now after almost a month in China continues to be very supportive in every way.
I was sent the link to the Handbook for New Teachers and the section 'Life Hacks in China' is a mine of useful information which I still often refer to.
My placement at Anhui University in Fengyang has been a smooth one thanks to the hard work and dedication of Lucy as well as that of Mr Wang and students who have helped to make the transition easier.
I was met at Shanghai Pudong airport by Mr Wang and put up in a hotel overnight. The next day I had the most pleasant experience of China's fast train to Beng bu.
I arrived at a magical time, the campus was clothed in the beautiful shades of Autumn.
Fengyang is a small town with super friendly people making settling in so much easier.

No improvement needed.
I think the programis perfect as it is, with a lot of dedication and hard work by the people who run the program.
Their step by step guidance through the application process was invaluable.

Location:
Shanghai Pudong International Airport
( PVG )
Guangzhou Baiyun International Airport CAN
( CAN )

China is the most populous country in the world and after many tumultuous reforms is again one of the world's leading nations. China is the country that people choose to go to when they don't just want a vacation, they want to learn about a culture that is entirely different from their own. China is one of the four Ancient Civilizations and has an unrivaled cultural breadth.

About ISAC International School Alliance of China

International School Alliance of China or ISAC is a Chinese recruitment company (Licensed by the Ministry of Human Resources). We work with the international departments, schools, and colleges of China’s public universities to hire educators around...