Teaching Nomad - Teaching opportunities in China

Teaching Nomad is your connection to great teaching opportunities in China! American owned and operated company with offices in both Shanghai, China & Denver, Colorado. We are the definitive source for teach abroad in China.

Since 2011 we've been vetting schools in China and helping people like you connect with only the best. We have schools hiring for every subject, in 40+ cities. Whether you want to teach English in Shanghai or Biology in Xi'an, we can probably help!

We take a lot of pride in connecting dedicated teachers with great schools all over the country. Teaching Nomad has programs for teachers of all experience levels including Professional educators, Experienced ESL instructors and Beginner teachers. Our clients include International schools, Language training schools, Primary/ Middle/ High schools and kindergartens.

Register with us today to be connected with a dedicated placement consultant who can answer all your questions and find the perfect match for you.

• Very competitive pay
  • Free housing or allowance
  • Benefits (health, flights, bonuses)
  • Personal placement consultant to walk you through the process
  • Opportunity to get your TEFL for free

Hey Melissa, Thanks for your message. South Africans teachers can apply to all of our programs. Please email your resume to [email protected] and we'll process your application.
Hey Samantha, Most of the teaching positions are for a minimum of one year, and most international school require a two-year commitment from the teacher. There is an occasional opening for a semester, but they're very uncommon and usually open only to people already residing in the country. If you email your resume to [email protected] we can send you updates on short-term positions.
Hey Jimena, This is a great question and I'm sure you're not the only one who would like to know the answer. Most of the schools we work with only hire native English speakers. In many countries this is because of visa regulations and there's not much individual employers can do to change this. However, if you have a valid teaching license or a degree in Education from a native English speaking...
Yes Jennifer, pre-school is in high demand! We work with some of the top pre-schools and kindergartens.

• Benefits 9.5
  • Facilities 9.4
Jeremy

Making a Stressful Process Easy and Painfree

I came across Teaching Nomad almost by accident as I was searching for teaching positions in China. I came across an opening on their website, and almost by accident, signed up and made an account. That very same week, I received a personal email from a placement consultant, Mike, from the company to set up an interview during which he asked me very informed questions about my qualifications and experience. Following that, Mike guided me through uploading all of the necessary documents for my application, and then HE sent out my application to jobs that fit exactly what I was looking for. It only took a few days before I began to hear back directly from schools Mike sent my information to in order to set up interviews. Needless to say, I now have a position set up that is beyond anything I could have hoped to find on my own. Teaching Nomad, an entirely free service for the applicant, may seem too good to be true, but it really is that great. I have serious doubts I could have navigated the overseas job market successfully if not for the support of Mike from Teaching Nomad.

Shinaaz

Good things come to those who wait

After a few months of stress and just being unhappy in the UAE (my first abroad teaching experience), I signed up with TeachingNomad to explore teaching in China. I have friends who have been in China for years, and have only heard good things. That being said, I was still sceptical about taking just any job after the terrible experience in the UAE.

Sophia has been an absolute star- from start to finish. After our initial conversation, she regularly sought out jobs that was suitable and always checked in to see whether or not I had interviewed with the school. She forwarded much needed resources and information in preparation for my interview as well.

After a successful interview, I let Sophia know that I have been sent an offer letter. She still continued to keep in touch and make sure I was getting all the documentation sorted etc.

It has really been an absolute pleasure working with Teaching Nomad, and Sophia specifically. I cannot thank her enough for taking the time to check in and give advice. Even now, almost 2 months since arriving in China she is still checking in that we've settled and that the school is great.

I am having such a great time in China, and loving teaching once again. The school is great and everyone is extremely helpful and friendly. I am so hapoy we made the decision to leave the UAE and continue our overseas adventures in China.

Christina

Dropped the Ball

Looking over reviews of Teaching Nomad on here, it seemed like this company knew what they were doing, yay!

However, my personal experience wasn't so great. A job I was placed at backed out of our contract last minute, and my consultant at TN was suddenly unresponsive. After multiple emails, I finally got a response from the owners, and they picked up the ball again. I was able to secure another position at a different location.

Once I arrived to China, though, TN didn't seem to care that the school-provided housing was much different from the pictures and website they'd sent. It was atrocious-- urine and mold and cockroaches and pungent smoke for the first two weeks. Then the "free accommodation" that was in my contract turned out to be untrue: I had to pay about $1200 USD per month, though the school reimbursed about half of this each month later, and I had to take out a loan from the school for the housing deposit (about $3,000 USD)-- another unexpected and unpleasant surprise.

I had a more serious issue as well, which I won't go into detail here, but was shocked at the lack of compassion in the reply from my TN contact: "I am sorry to hear that it seems you are in a bad situation." Then never followed up.

After this experience, I realized why professional educators pay other (reputable) companies. It's because they vet the schools and work for you. TN works for the school to place you and then they're done. If you've never taught before and aren't a career educator, maybe it won't be as bad, but, especially if you're a woman, I would not recommend this company.

More local resources for expats, better understanding of where and what they're sending their teachers into, transparency and honesty.
No, I don't recommend
Taylor

ESL Teacher

This agency is AMAZING! Amazing is even an understatement I think. I can't thank thank this agency enough, and now I know exactly why it has such a high review online. My recruiter Jayne Donabie has got to be the sweetest person in the world. She was caring, understanding, and determined to help me get my dream job. She's amazing at what she does and always immediately provided me with every answer I need. Not only that, she was constantly checking up on me, informing me about schools that were trying to get in contact with me. She made the entire process as smooth as butter. In less than 3 days, I'd already secured 3 interviews from different schools. In addition, the schools are legitimate schools with reputable names and generous salaries. Unlike other agencies, Teaching Nomads never throws random jobs at you to apply for, only those they believe best suit your preference. They will ask you for your preferences and before they send your applications to schools, they will ask you for your permission. For those of you who are trying to get an ESL job in China, or anywhere else in the world, I highly recommend Teaching Nomads!

Nothing I can think of. Everything was perfect!
James

Great Experience

From start to finish Teaching Nomad was there for me, responsive, and kept me up to date with all of the work they were doing to get me linked with a great school. They were great advocates for me and matched me with a school that fit me well. Really enjoyed the service provided and could not recommend them more for all the tireless work they did. The process took roughly 2 months, first with a screening interview, and then a number of interviews with hiring managers, and finally an offer. Throughout the process the recruiters at Teaching Nomad made sure to keep talking with the school on my behalf and make sure my application was moving forward to an offer.

I was pleased with the program, no improvements needed that I could see
Kevin

My Experience with Teaching Nomad

I was initially leery about using an agency to help place me in China but the support and resources I received were excellent. In the end, "your success is their success". The advice and feedback was very helpful. Also, the TEFL option I used through the provider was easy to use and progress to completion. It has also proven very useful in my new environment. The follow-up support after placement has also been very appreciated.

Obtaining the Visa was done in coordination with the local staff at the school. It was complicated because the Visa issuing process varies from country to country, I was basically on my own to figure it out. It took many months of research, calls, visits to consular and 3rd party agencies before it was complete. This is in part due to the fact the Chinese government has recently changed their processes.
danielle

Teaching Nomad Assistance

Since making my decision to teach abroad the recruiter that has been assigned to me worked diligently to answer my questions and also locate positions that would align with my skill sets. Ali which is my recruiter name did not have problem with me constantly calling or emailing her to help me with my nervousness and confusion that dealt with picking the right positions to apply for and also helping me prep for an interview. I am really excited that I decided to work through them for this process.

n/a
Brenainn

CIS Nanchang

I just want to say I am very happy with the school that I have joined. Teaching Nomad also need to be mentioned here and they helped to make the move out her as painless as possible. I would recommend them to anyone thinking of taking up work in China. Sophia has been very helpful and has checked in on a number of occasions to see how things are going. They also provided some useful tips on life in China and what to expect. Reliable people and nothing dodgy at all. Top service guys keep up there good work.

Israel

Inspiring Support!

I am extremely pleased with the level and type of support provided from start to finish from my Teaching Nomad recruiter Ali Jaramillo. She was exceptional and I immediately felt comfortable and motivated from the first interaction and interview. She set everything up for me after listening to my preferences, explained everything, provided resources, answered every question I had along the way, and continued to follow up in a friendly and encouraging manner throughout the entire recruiting process while I interviewed from overseas. I received an offer within a month from a company, and I am very grateful to start a new adventure. I am forever thankful I found the link to the Teaching Nomad site on the Peace Corps RPCV job portal, it honestly changed the course of my life. No strings attached, free support but service that is priceless. Some things that are too good are most definitely true. Thanks again!

Bilqees

Making distance not seem distant!

Teaching Nomad placement consultant, Moira, has been nothing but supportive and efficient! With her leave of absence, I thought that my placement might take slightly longer - sure, I was wrong! Not long after her return, Moira had sent out my profile to potential schools and I received interviews, all with good responses! This made me extremely happy! I didn't know which option would be best for me, and that's where Moira had helped me out, again. Teaching Nomad certainly provides you with the BEST consultants who you can rely on for a stress-free process! This is my first job oversees, in China, and I am ecstatic to have this opportunity in such short time. Thank you teaching Nomad - THANK YOU, Moira!!! :)

Ziem

Thank You!

Teaching Nomad has been amazing in helping me secure an amazing school in Shanghai. They were supported and answered my questions in a timely manner. I've been in Korea for close to 6 years and I can say that this has been one of the best recruiting agencies that I've used. Ollie was great and provided really useful information. One thing I do recommend is starting your paper work early! The process is different for each country but it does take some time!

man standing by lake
Cameron

Nomad is helping make my dreams come true

I just received my flight itinerary and orientation material today for my first contract in China. I got in contact with Oliver almost a year ago now. He was quick to set me up with interviews, but I got a surprise offer to live in Bermuda for a few months so we didnt get far into the process. When I explained I still wanted to come to China but push back about a 7 months he was quick to help. He got in contact with all the companies and helped me explain my situation so the offers would still be there. About 5 months later, without prompt, I got an email from him checking on me and asking if we were going to stick with the same timeline. I told him yes and within a day or two had probably almost 10 interviews set up. I picked my company and he has been sending me emails, checking on me, and supporting me through the entire process. Oliver and Teaching Nomad had made the transition effortless. Now as I sit on my train through Poland, looking over my flight and hotel schedules I can't help but be thankful to them for helping my dreams of work and travel coming to life.

I can't think of any to be quite honest
Megan

Thanks Teaching Nomad

Thanks to Teaching Nomad I was able to find a school that is perfect for me! I'm working on getting a visa now and they have been so helpful in helping get all my documents ready and answering questions I have. Moira McNally is great and helps me feel reassured when I feel lost. She went through everything at the beginning with me and has been able to explain things in a way that isn't intimidating or too scary.

Conor

Honestly, Teaching Nomad and their staff are great at what they do. They helped me find, apply and successfully take multiple interviews to get offered a job in China over the course of 2-3 weeks. Super quick, I could not believe it. They are with you all along the way as well, any questions you name it, even help with interview preparation. I was really stuck where I was before, not to mention stresses. Teaching Nomad really helped me out.

Asopa'epa'e

O for Awesome Nomad

I came across this website on Google and thought of giving it a go. After I signed up it didn't take long until I got an email for an interview with one of their recruiters Moira. She was very awesome through out the job hunt making sure it was a smooth ride. Within days I received job interviews from schools and I have recently accepted a teaching job offer from China. For anyone who is thinking of teaching overseas I highly recommend Nomad and hopefully you get Moira as an agent she was O for Awesome (Kiwi joke). And even if you got the job they will still continue to help with your visa process and offering important informations making sure your teaching journey overseas is an unforgettable experience. Any Kiwis and everyone out there who is keen to teach overseas email or contact Nomad and there awesome staff such as Moira. Thank you heaps Nomad and Moira for your efforts and hard work. 😊❤👍👌

About Teaching Nomad

The most important service that we provide is behind the scenes research of every school that we can find to identify those worth partnering with. There are 1000's of English schools in Asia, unfortunately not all of them are legitimate. We have...