Teaching Nomad - Teaching opportunities in China

Teaching Nomad is your connection to great teaching opportunities in China! American owned and operated company with offices in both Shanghai, China & Denver, Colorado. We are the definitive source for teach abroad in China.

Since 2011 we've been vetting schools in China and helping people like you connect with only the best. We have schools hiring for every subject, in 40+ cities. Whether you want to teach English in Shanghai or Biology in Xi'an, we can probably help!

We take a lot of pride in connecting dedicated teachers with great schools all over the country. Teaching Nomad has programs for teachers of all experience levels including Professional educators, Experienced ESL instructors and Beginner teachers. Our clients include International schools, Language training schools, Primary/ Middle/ High schools and kindergartens.

Register with us today to be connected with a dedicated placement consultant who can answer all your questions and find the perfect match for you.

• Very competitive pay
  • Free housing or allowance
  • Benefits (health, flights, bonuses)
  • Personal placement consultant to walk you through the process
  • Opportunity to get your TEFL for free

Hey Melissa, Thanks for your message. South Africans teachers can apply to all of our programs. Please email your resume to [email protected] and we'll process your application.
Hey Samantha, Most of the teaching positions are for a minimum of one year, and most international school require a two-year commitment from the teacher. There is an occasional opening for a semester, but they're very uncommon and usually open only to people already residing in the country. If you email your resume to [email protected] we can send you updates on short-term positions.
Hey Jimena, This is a great question and I'm sure you're not the only one who would like to know the answer. Most of the schools we work with only hire native English speakers. In many countries this is because of visa regulations and there's not much individual employers can do to change this. However, if you have a valid teaching license or a degree in Education from a native English speaking...
Yes Jennifer, pre-school is in high demand! We work with some of the top pre-schools and kindergartens.

• Benefits 9.5
  • Facilities 9.4
Kaila

Great and Reliable

Teaching Nomad has been great every step of the way from the introduction, helping me prepare my documents and advising me on different job applications that would be a good fit. They have always been available to help, prompt with response and very friendly and helpful. I have been hired to teach English through a job they recommended and I look forward to starting in a few months. They have also made it clear that they are there for support throughout my job. I looked at several companies and they are by far the most professional.

Pele

Job hunting in China can be quite overwhelming. Perhaps surprisingly, this remains true whether you are searching for your first job in China or your fifth. Thanks to Teaching Nomad and Mike Ostrowski I was placed at a really amazing school that was a terrific match for me. My preference in schools was very specific, they found exactly what I was hoping for. Mike was extremely helpful and guided me throughout the entire interview process. It was definitely a pleasure to work with him, and I would recommend Teaching Nomad any day!

No improvements needed
Elias

Great Services

My consultant Ali Jaramillo always assistant Ed in finding the best possible positions that are available to work in China. At a time that I reconsidered moving abroad they still took the initiative to assist me in finding a school that fit my specific requirements. Ali goes above and beyond the call of duty to make sure that teachers get the best positions that fits their personal critter is in fulfilling the best possible experience that can be made from teaching abroad. Teacheingnomad also provides the ease of authenticating all the documents which can be a huge hustle if the paperwork is not filled correctly.

Elana

Thank you Teaching Nomad!

We have dealt with Teaching Nomad for four years, and each time they exceed our wildest expectations. Sophia, Brett, and the team have been fantastic throughout, and we can't thank them enough for their hard work and dedication. Teaching Nomad cares about their teachers, and Sophia continued to check in and help us throughout the process. Her advice, support, and guidance are much appreciated. Teaching Nomad is the only recruiter that we trust with our teaching careers.

Teaching Nomad is simply the best :-)!

N/A
Patrick

Amazingly Patient and Supportive Job Finding Agency

I found a job through teachingnomad within three months. They are amazingly supportive and patient with the documentation requirements for finding a job. They also offer many courses for teaching certification and in some cases send the documentation for verification for you! I was also updated frequently by their staff. If you want to teach abroad I really recommend teachingnomad, they make finding a job convenient and easy.

I see no problems.
David

World's Best Recruiter

Teaching Nomad assisted me in every step of the way to find a suitible fit teaching English abroad. I requested that we find a teaching program that would pay for my TEFL entirely. My recruiter Jayne D went above and beyond assistiting me with this. She even proofread a few emails for me that I was nervous about sending to the school that she had set me up with.

Thanks to Teaching Nomad and the awesome support I am now living the dream.

Thanks!!! 10/10

Jeremy

Making a Stressful Process Easy and Painfree

I came across Teaching Nomad almost by accident as I was searching for teaching positions in China. I came across an opening on their website, and almost by accident, signed up and made an account. That very same week, I received a personal email from a placement consultant, Mike, from the company to set up an interview during which he asked me very informed questions about my qualifications and experience. Following that, Mike guided me through uploading all of the necessary documents for my application, and then HE sent out my application to jobs that fit exactly what I was looking for. It only took a few days before I began to hear back directly from schools Mike sent my information to in order to set up interviews. Needless to say, I now have a position set up that is beyond anything I could have hoped to find on my own. Teaching Nomad, an entirely free service for the applicant, may seem too good to be true, but it really is that great. I have serious doubts I could have navigated the overseas job market successfully if not for the support of Mike from Teaching Nomad.

Shinaaz

Good things come to those who wait

After a few months of stress and just being unhappy in the UAE (my first abroad teaching experience), I signed up with TeachingNomad to explore teaching in China. I have friends who have been in China for years, and have only heard good things. That being said, I was still sceptical about taking just any job after the terrible experience in the UAE.

Sophia has been an absolute star- from start to finish. After our initial conversation, she regularly sought out jobs that was suitable and always checked in to see whether or not I had interviewed with the school. She forwarded much needed resources and information in preparation for my interview as well.

After a successful interview, I let Sophia know that I have been sent an offer letter. She still continued to keep in touch and make sure I was getting all the documentation sorted etc.

It has really been an absolute pleasure working with Teaching Nomad, and Sophia specifically. I cannot thank her enough for taking the time to check in and give advice. Even now, almost 2 months since arriving in China she is still checking in that we've settled and that the school is great.

I am having such a great time in China, and loving teaching once again. The school is great and everyone is extremely helpful and friendly. I am so hapoy we made the decision to leave the UAE and continue our overseas adventures in China.

Christina

Dropped the Ball

Looking over reviews of Teaching Nomad on here, it seemed like this company knew what they were doing, yay!

However, my personal experience wasn't so great. A job I was placed at backed out of our contract last minute, and my consultant at TN was suddenly unresponsive. After multiple emails, I finally got a response from the owners, and they picked up the ball again. I was able to secure another position at a different location.

Once I arrived to China, though, TN didn't seem to care that the school-provided housing was much different from the pictures and website they'd sent. It was atrocious-- urine and mold and cockroaches and pungent smoke for the first two weeks. Then the "free accommodation" that was in my contract turned out to be untrue: I had to pay about $1200 USD per month, though the school reimbursed about half of this each month later, and I had to take out a loan from the school for the housing deposit (about $3,000 USD)-- another unexpected and unpleasant surprise.

I had a more serious issue as well, which I won't go into detail here, but was shocked at the lack of compassion in the reply from my TN contact: "I am sorry to hear that it seems you are in a bad situation." Then never followed up.

After this experience, I realized why professional educators pay other (reputable) companies. It's because they vet the schools and work for you. TN works for the school to place you and then they're done. If you've never taught before and aren't a career educator, maybe it won't be as bad, but, especially if you're a woman, I would not recommend this company.

More local resources for expats, better understanding of where and what they're sending their teachers into, transparency and honesty.
Response from Teaching Nomad

It's very disappointing to us that Christina would give a negative review of Teaching Nomad after we spent probably 3-4X more effort trying to help her than the average candidate.

The mistake that we made was continuing to work with this candidate as long as we did. She says "A job I was placed at backed out of our contract last minute, and my consultant at TN was suddenly unresponsive". What actually happened was that the school waited 3+ months for her to send her employment documents which she never did, at that point, the school canceled her contract.

We decided to give her another chance and placed her with a very well recognized, accredited international school in Xiamen. I won't divulge her personal details but the school let her go soon after arriving. We've placed many happy foreign teachers at this school.

Teaching Nomad is not perfect and we are truly invested in continuing to improve the support and opportunities that we provide our candidates. We are always open to suggestions and we make every effort possible to ensure the satisfaction of our candidates. We believe this shows in the overwhelmingly positive reviews here on GO.

No, I don't recommend
Taylor

ESL Teacher

This agency is AMAZING! Amazing is even an understatement I think. I can't thank thank this agency enough, and now I know exactly why it has such a high review online. My recruiter Jayne Donabie has got to be the sweetest person in the world. She was caring, understanding, and determined to help me get my dream job. She's amazing at what she does and always immediately provided me with every answer I need. Not only that, she was constantly checking up on me, informing me about schools that were trying to get in contact with me. She made the entire process as smooth as butter. In less than 3 days, I'd already secured 3 interviews from different schools. In addition, the schools are legitimate schools with reputable names and generous salaries. Unlike other agencies, Teaching Nomads never throws random jobs at you to apply for, only those they believe best suit your preference. They will ask you for your preferences and before they send your applications to schools, they will ask you for your permission. For those of you who are trying to get an ESL job in China, or anywhere else in the world, I highly recommend Teaching Nomads!

Nothing I can think of. Everything was perfect!
James

Great Experience

From start to finish Teaching Nomad was there for me, responsive, and kept me up to date with all of the work they were doing to get me linked with a great school. They were great advocates for me and matched me with a school that fit me well. Really enjoyed the service provided and could not recommend them more for all the tireless work they did. The process took roughly 2 months, first with a screening interview, and then a number of interviews with hiring managers, and finally an offer. Throughout the process the recruiters at Teaching Nomad made sure to keep talking with the school on my behalf and make sure my application was moving forward to an offer.

I was pleased with the program, no improvements needed that I could see
Kevin

My Experience with Teaching Nomad

I was initially leery about using an agency to help place me in China but the support and resources I received were excellent. In the end, "your success is their success". The advice and feedback was very helpful. Also, the TEFL option I used through the provider was easy to use and progress to completion. It has also proven very useful in my new environment. The follow-up support after placement has also been very appreciated.

Obtaining the Visa was done in coordination with the local staff at the school. It was complicated because the Visa issuing process varies from country to country, I was basically on my own to figure it out. It took many months of research, calls, visits to consular and 3rd party agencies before it was complete. This is in part due to the fact the Chinese government has recently changed their processes.
danielle

Teaching Nomad Assistance

Since making my decision to teach abroad the recruiter that has been assigned to me worked diligently to answer my questions and also locate positions that would align with my skill sets. Ali which is my recruiter name did not have problem with me constantly calling or emailing her to help me with my nervousness and confusion that dealt with picking the right positions to apply for and also helping me prep for an interview. I am really excited that I decided to work through them for this process.

n/a
Brenainn

CIS Nanchang

I just want to say I am very happy with the school that I have joined. Teaching Nomad also need to be mentioned here and they helped to make the move out her as painless as possible. I would recommend them to anyone thinking of taking up work in China. Sophia has been very helpful and has checked in on a number of occasions to see how things are going. They also provided some useful tips on life in China and what to expect. Reliable people and nothing dodgy at all. Top service guys keep up there good work.

Israel

Inspiring Support!

I am extremely pleased with the level and type of support provided from start to finish from my Teaching Nomad recruiter Ali Jaramillo. She was exceptional and I immediately felt comfortable and motivated from the first interaction and interview. She set everything up for me after listening to my preferences, explained everything, provided resources, answered every question I had along the way, and continued to follow up in a friendly and encouraging manner throughout the entire recruiting process while I interviewed from overseas. I received an offer within a month from a company, and I am very grateful to start a new adventure. I am forever thankful I found the link to the Teaching Nomad site on the Peace Corps RPCV job portal, it honestly changed the course of my life. No strings attached, free support but service that is priceless. Some things that are too good are most definitely true. Thanks again!

About Teaching Nomad

The most important service that we provide is behind the scenes research of every school that we can find to identify those worth partnering with. There are thousands of English schools in Asia, unfortunately not all of them are legitimate. We have...