Teaching Nomad - Teaching Opportunities in China

COVID-19 Program Updates

Due to global health & safety concerns and travel restrictions related to the coronavirus, Teaching Nomad has decided to offer flexible booking options for some of their upcoming programs. Learn more about COVID-19 updates to stay tuned regarding program information.

Me
Students Working Hard
Students Working Hard
Students being silly
Students being silly

Teaching Nomad is your connection to great teaching opportunities in China! TN is an American owned and operated company with offices in Shanghai, China & Denver, Colorado. We are the definitive source for teaching abroad in China.

Since 2011, we've been vetting schools in China and helping people like you connect with only the best. We have schools hiring for every subject in 40+ cities. Whether you want to teach English in Shanghai or Biology in Xi'an, we can help!

We take a lot of pride in connecting dedicated teachers with great schools all over the country. Teaching Nomad has programs for teachers of all experience levels including professional educators, experienced ESL instructors, & beginner teachers. Our clients include international schools, language training schools, primary/middle/high schools, & kindergartens.

Register with us today to be connected with a dedicated placement consultant who can answer all of your questions and find the perfect match for you.

• Very competitive pay
  • Free housing or allowance
  • Benefits (health, flights, bonuses)
  • Personal placement consultant to walk you through the process
  • Opportunity to get $100 back

Hello Erik, most of the English teaching roles posted on our site require candidates from native English speaking countries. However we do have subject teacher positions for non-native speakers if they have experience teaching that subject. We also have TEFL course + job placement opportunities in many countries that don't require the candidates to be native speakers. You can learn more about...

Yes! A teaching degree is not required to teach abroad. In many cases experience and/or a TEFL certification is an adequate qualification. We place couples all the time!

In such a case we would recommend the individual to contact the authorities to report the assault. This would include local police as well as the consulate or Embassy of your country. Of course we would never work with a school or organization that allowed an assault to occur.

Yes. An individuals ethnicity will not affect their work visa application.

• Benefits 9.5
  • Facilities 9.4
Andrew

Great Choice

Helped me from the very start, which for me was trying to decide which TEFL certification to go with. From there my consultant, Moira, helped me with the documents I needed, gave me resume tips, sent off my profile to various schools even before my certification was complete, and gave me interview tips when the schools wanted to meet me. Thanks to help Moira and teaching nomad provided, I have just signed a contract with a higher than normal salary for a first time teacher. Now they are helping me out with authenticating my documents and my application for a visa :)

No improvements to note. Super helpful and great customer service :)
Jessica

Great support and contact

I've been using Teaching Nomad for the second time since I arrived in China. I have to say that I am impressed by the support and structure. Except the early first interview looool, I'd love the fact that I could chat with them via WeChat, email or else whenever. Marissa Olan has been listening to my needs in looking for my new positions and assist me to look for the appropriate school. As a non-native qualified teacher it was refreshing to have someone showing me that finding a job where I wanted was possible. I will be using their services again. They have a great range and variety of schools working with them.
A trustworthy agency. Thank you.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I maybe more open to more locations and start my search earlier than I did.
Jacob

GREAT! Lauren Klein at Teaching Nomad

After a friend recommended Lauren Klein at Teaching Nomad to me, I decided to chat with her about teaching opportunities in China. She asked me a number of really helpful questions to assist me in figuring out the kind of position that would be best for me. She answered all questions I had within a day and was incredibly accommodating when my school preferences changed during the recruitment process. Lauren got me three interviews with great schools, and I'm sure I could have had as many as I wanted if I didn't like one of those three. In the end I found a great job, and I barely had to do a thing more than showing up to the interview. All in all I highly recommend Lauren and Teaching Nomad.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I would have spent more time figuring out what my goals were at the outset instead of changing my mind about the work environment I would prefer halfway through.
Jac

Trust in Teaching Nomad

This will be my first time teaching in China and teaching abroad so I did extensive research onto which recruiter seemed the best. Teaching Nomad seemed to have the best reviews so I decided to go with them and they definitely lived up to the high expectation. My placement consultant was Tiffany and she was fantastic. She got in touch and organised a short interview via Skype where she asked what I was looking for. Tiffany then put my application out to all the schools that met my requirements. I didn't have to do anything really. All of a sudden interviews were coming left right and centre. Tiffany was still on hand to answer any questions I had, for instance I was curious about the wage bracket between Nanjing and Fuzhou and Tiffany went above and beyond in terms of working out the difference. I have now accepted a schools offer and I couldn't have done it without the support of Tiffany and Teaching Nomad. If you are want to teach in China and aren't sure who to go with, go with Teaching Nomad they won't let you down.

Nef

Marissa Olan

I heard about Teaching Nomad through a friend who landed a position in the UAE. Thus, I decided to look into it as I started to expand my international search. I sent in all of my documents and was assigned a mentor, Marissa. From the beginning Marissa was so supportive. I was looking for teaching jobs in China and UAE. Marissa constantly sent me available positions and asked me if they were a good fit. We are living in a challenging time so to receive such timely feedback was appreciated. I'd definitely use Teaching Nomad again.

John

Teaching in China

I would highly recommend Teaching Nomad to anybody looking for teaching positions in China. My recruiter was Moira and she was professional, helpful and patient from the very start. As I am currently not in China it has provided some major challenges for me to find employment in China due to current restrictions in place but Moira was very good and keep in contact with me and helped me find a great job. If anybody is looking for teaching positions overseas, definitely contact Teaching Nomad. I only have good things to say about them.

Nothing. I found the whole process very efficient.
Garrett

Good staff and opportunities

My Placement Associate, Marissa Olan, was super helpful during the whole process. The support staff at Teaching Nomad and the coordinating schools are great. This is a great program for finding a position with good pay and benefits, as well as some positions that are really good for building your resume and increasing your teaching skills. There are a lot of options for people who are entry-level and also for professional teachers that have been doing this a long time. I would recommend this program to recent graduates, young professionals, couples, and also families.

Some of the schools offer very little information about the positions or what they are looking for in an employee.
Roy

Shanghai Or Bust

My experience was a little unusual in that I was already in country when I first contacted Teaching Nomad about teaching opportunities in Shanghai. At the time I was a travelling spouse. That is, my wife had the job that allowed us to arrive in China in August of 2016. Within a couple of weeks of arriving in Shanghai, I signed up to Teaching Nomad and had my first interview in early October for a History/ESL post at a Chinese international school in the south west of the city. The interview went well and I was offered a contract which I accepted. Throughout the process, Teaching Nomad were supportive and clearly had a firm grasp of the ins and outs of finding a job in China generally and in Shanghai in particular.

I had cause to use Teaching Nomad a second time when my first school decided to relocate its campus to a neighboring province at the end of my second year at the school. I was not able to go with the school and once again my advisor at TN was very helpful in providing job information re: other schools in Shanghai. And once again TN helped me find a school and a job, this time teaching Humanities at a bilingual school.

Two years later, I am on the move again. My wife has been head hunted by an international school in Suzhou and when she accepted its offer, it became clear I would need to find another school. On this occasion, TN were not able to place me in a school but it wasn't for lack of effort. Suzhou is something of a niche market for international teachers in that the turnover rate of staff in schools in the city is very low and thus jobs are not easy to find. This did not stop TN from trying, and once again potential job opportunities appeared in my inbox as and when they opened up. Covid-19 has made finding a job even more challenging this time around but TN has adapted and adjusted to the crisis well. Online/Virtual Job Fairs have been particularly successful in this regard.

I have no hesitation in recommending Teaching Nomad to anyone thinking about living and working in China. Either from another country or (like me) someone already in country. It is a very competent organization with advisors who know their market and who are relentless in trying to find suitable positions for their clients.