Get TEFL Certified in a tropical paradise!

Do you want to see the world, experience new cultures and languages, and live abroad? What better way then by teaching English? Gone are the days of just any Native English speaker being hired to teach English; most quality schools require teaching experience and either TEFL, TESOL or CELTA certification. Costa Rica TEFL teacher trainers combine years of experience in teaching foreign languages to offer you a unique opportunity to earn an Internationally Accredited TEFL / TESOL certificate that will qualify you to teach EFL/ESL in Costa Rica or anywhere in the world. We offer a balanced program which focuses on key areas for being a successful EFL/ESL teacher such as: teaching methodologies, teaching techniques, learning styles, classroom management, classroom adaptation, culture in the classroom, effective lesson planning, creativity in the classroom and more. In addition, we will assist you in finding a job teaching English abroad throughout your TEFL / TESOL career.

• Internationally Accredited intensive TEFL course
  • Free Spanish Lessons
  • Free Yoga classes on the beach
  • Guaranteed job placement assistance

Not sure specifically about this program, but if you're not TEFL certified already, doing a certification course in the country you want to move to is a great way to move abroad. You'll arrive with contacts and a support network, and you'll buy yourself time to get settled and look for jobs :)

• Benefits 10
  • Facilities 9.6
  • Instruction 8.9
  • Academic Rigor 8
  • Job Assistance 8.8
Tori

Wonderful Experience!

Costa Rica TEFL was everything and more that I wanted from a TEFL certification program. I am so grateful to this course and my teacher trainers for making me feel comfortable and confident as an EFL teacher. The course information was super comprehensive, I had tons of practice teaching, and I got valuable feedback from teachers. After taking this course, I know that I am prepared for any teaching situation that I am placed in whether it is online, teaching kids, business English, or something else. More than just the course information, I also got to live in Sámara, a beach paradise, and meet new and wonderful people. My mornings and weekends were spent on the beach or visiting new parts of Costa Rica with my fellow TEFL students. I made friends and learned skills that will last me a lifetime. Thank you, Costa Rica TEFL.

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
The most nerve-racking moment was teaching for the first time. However, having the support of the teachers as well as my fellow students, helped tremendously. Everyone lent a hand with lesson planning by sharing ideas and helping with activity prep. It's a great community.
Jalen
No, I don't recommend this program

A teacher's perspective

I am an EFL/ESL teacher and I worked at this place during this summer (June, 2019). There is an emphasis here on lesson planning, and trainees spend a lot of their time practicing this. Trainees also receive some classroom time to practice teaching these lessons. However, the activities being taught are largely traditional children’s classroom activities such as musical chairs, hot potato, cake walks, tic tac toe, hangman, foot races to choose a correct answer, tossing ping pong balls into cups, throwing balls at targets, pasting labels on pictures, etc. As I watched this carnival of activities being taught in the practice classes, I kept noticing how far away the lessons were from actual teaching in a contemporary, professional EFL/ESL context. (Your students shouldn’t have to win a contest just to be able practice English in your class.)

Trainees spend a lot of their time creating various classroom props by hand to use in their lesson activities like cutting out pictures and words from prints and pasting them to construction paper to be later taped to the walls of the classroom, cutting words from paper to make word scramble games, etc. This low-tech approach extends into the no frills learning environment which features two classrooms containing no video nor audio equipment. (I had to present videos on my 13” Macbook.) The computers at the school seemed poorly maintained, and some were uselessly slow. Most trainees had to use their own. The printers were the personal type that you might find in a student’s dorm room. (I could never get more than 4 pages to print on either of them without a paper jam.)

There is also no mention in the training curriculum of the integration of technology into instruction, which is remiss since it is technology that is driving the demand for English learning and English teachers. Technology based instruction is the direction in which the language teaching industry has been heading. Cell phones now rival classrooms as instruction delivery modes.

The trainees at this school practice their teaching on local residents who come to the school weekday evenings for free classes. I witnessed one disturbing incident at the school during one of these classes on a Monday evening: A local woman attended one of the evening practice classes as a student for the first time. After the class, she complained to me that one man was taking inappropriate photos of her legs and her body and showing them to some of the other men. I could see the shameful looks on the men’s faces as they watched her tell me about it after the class. I had the woman to return to the school the next morning to recount her experience when the business owner, a woman, would be there. After learning about what occurred, the owner petulantly dismissed the situation by telling the woman that she was mistaken about what she believed had happened, and essentially blamed her for her own humiliation. (Ladies, you know when men are behaving inappropriately toward you, and guys, you know how men can be.) Nothing further was done or said about it. I wouldn’t have been as surprised had a man shown that kind of insensitivity, but frankly, It was painful to see a woman respond this way. (It turned out that the accused photographer was the boyfriend of one of the teachers at the school, which made it all even more bizarre!) The woman never returned to the classes but the boyfriend and the other men continued to attend regularly.

You have to ask yourself (1) if this is the environment that you want to put yourself in, (2) if this is the kind of training that you want to pay for, and (3) if these are the people that you want to give your money to.

I recommend that you get yourself a CELTA certificate. CELTA is globally recognized as the best brand in TEFL certifications. It has both immediate and lasting value. There’s no reason to waste your time and money at Costa Rica TEFL.

Update the curriculum and facilities. Don't invite disreputable employers to recruit your trainees.
Kyle

Can’t think of a better place to get a TEFL

Costa Rica TEFL is located in one of the nicest beach towns in Costa Rica with friendly people and fun nightlife. The staff is amazing. They will help you succeed while you are in the course, and help you to find a great job after. Even if you never teach a single day after this, you will benefit from the experience. You are likely to learn about language education and develop a greater awareness of the importance of language in your own life. You are likely to swim, surf, hike, and or kayak in a place that couldn’t be more beautiful. You are likely to pick up a phrase or two in Spanish, or if you are already studying Spanish, you are likely to make serious gains in your conversational ability. I would recommend this course to anybody looking to travel, learn, teach, and experience.

What was your funniest moment?
The funniest moments came in class. Although you are in class many hours a day, it is constantly fun and engaging. This is precisely the method of instruction that you learn to develop as a teacher at Costa Rica TEFL.
Charlie

Passport to Freedom

I completed the course in February 2018 and honestly, it was the best thing I've done! After succumbing to the office 9-5 life post-uni, my third redundancy was the kick up the bum I needed to pursue a less ordinary life. Samara is a heavenly place. The course is brilliant - after considering doing a course online I'm so glad I didn't because I needed the hands on experience I got at CR TEFL. Unlike many alumni I'm actually back in the UK completing my Masters course in Creative Writing. I teach online which gives me the flexibility to work my job around my course. I'm working towards a dream of being a digital nomad writer/teacher, sharing what I'm learning on YouTube too. Teaching has given me the chance to be creative and feel job satisfaction I've never had before. What's more is Barbara and her team are still in touch a whole year later - they're always happy to help and make every student feel special!

Absorb yourself in it! Make the most of all the free perks, like weekly yoga classes and Spanish lessons. Embrace Pura Vida!
Morgan

If not now...when?

Dear fellow seekers,

I want to share a story that will hopefully resinate with you and help answer and guide you through any apprehensions you may have about studying and teaching abroad, in particular becoming apart of the Costa Rica TEFL community!
In September 2018, I decided to press pause on my life in Toronto, Canada and begin a new journey in Costa Rica. Like you, there were many personal events that attributed to my final decision of making that leap into the unknown, but I knew if I stayed still and followed the herd, I would become blissfully ignorant and unaware of how truly beautiful life can be. With that being said, I began my process of figuring out exactly how I was going to get myself back into a classroom. That's when I stumbled upon Costa Rica TEFL in the beautiful town of Samara.
As a life-long learner I knew, even though I was a certified teacher, there was so much more to learn in terms of teaching with different cultures, in which English was a second language. From the first day at Costa Rica TEFL, I was immediately immersed into a world of thought that I had no idea I was missing out on! I was able to dive in to the benefits of Communicative Approach, explore what it means to teach multiple intelligences, discuss how to create meaningful relationships, unleash my creativity and curiosity to create fun and engaging games, apply relevant and efficient planning processes and so much more!
Before even arriving to Samara I know I was making the right choice for my career, happiness and well-being because of the on-going support I received from the Admin staff. The effort, hours and collaboration they put in to allow us to have the best experience possible does not go unnoticed by there past TEFL students.
Since completing the amazing program, I have secured a full-time teaching position at an international, bilingual, IB accredited school! My confidence as a teacher has grown more than I could ever imagine and I am so grateful I made the choice to transform my life, starting with Costa Rica TEFL.
Remember, often times the hardest and scariest decisions will be the best you ever make.
Join Costa Rica TEFL!!

As technology is integrating itself in a huge way into the classrooms, hiring processes and day-today efficiency, I think the program would benefit from teaching students more about online teaching, Google Drive, Google Classroom, Vlogging/Blogging and other apps that schools and companies are using. Although the Portfolio portion of the course was a great way to showcase our four weeks of in-class teaching, I believe, in order to follow trend in where the world is heading, we need to be better versed in showing our skills through a technology platform.
Lexi

Amazing course, students, and staff

Costa Rica TEFL is a program designed to help you discover your own potential as an individual and as an English teacher. The staff were extremely professional and personable while instructing throughout the day and night. They were available and ready to provide beneficial feedback that allowed for me to carry out more concise lessons and to create a better classroom environment. The director of the program, Barbara, met one on one with each student for job placement assistance. She listened carefully to where each student would like to be placed and what kind of teaching experience we were looking for. She helped me land my dream job, teaching EFL in a coastal town in Costa Rica! Thank you as well to my teacher trainer's, Vanessa and Margaret. Both teacher trainers were so respectful in a process that can sometimes seem quite intimidating. The group of students in our session came from all different ages and countries. It was very interesting to hear and to view their diverse teaching methods and experiences. Thank you to Costa Rica TEFL for an incredible learning experience!

N/A
Jamela

TEFL Costa Rica

I graduated from the TEFL school in Costa Rica in September. I had so many great experiences in Samara. One of the best moments of my life. The classes are fun and well organized. Barbara who is the director helped me find a job and connected me with people after I completed the program.
I bungee jumped off the highest Cliff in Central America during a thunder storm! This was a defining moment for me because I knew that I shouldnt be afraid of anything!
After the program was over, I applied to a English position and now I am teaching in Jeju Island, which is located in South Korea. The island is beautiful and the TOEFL classes gave me the proper skills to teach English.
I love TOEFL COSTA RICA!!!!!

TOEFL Costa Rica did the best they could to supply us with the materials we needed. The school is located in an area where supplies are limited and hopefully I will be able to donate to them soon. I think that Barbara the director is doing a phenomenal job and I can see that she truly cares about the community.
Jesse

Costa Rica TEFL has it all!

If you want to learn to teach English as a Second Language, there is no better place. Intimate class size, individual attention, tough but exciting all describe Costa Rica TEFL.
Now place all this in the beautiful little beach town of Samara where you will make life long friends and you have a superior program. It changed my life. It could change yours.
With the teaching experience you get by giving classes to local children and adults you are ready for the classroom.
They were able to place several of us in an Institute in a town 2 hours away. We were there for a year and then scattered to the 4 corners all still keeping in touch.
One of us in China, one still in Costa Rica, one in Philadelphia and me in Oakland, California teaching young adults from all over the world the essential language of English.

Even more teaching time would be good. Though, it’s great as it is.