Get TEFL Certified in a tropical paradise!

Get TEFL Certified in a tropical paradise!

Do you want to see the world, experience new cultures and languages, and live abroad? What better way then by teaching English? Gone are the days of just any Native English speaker being hired to teach English; most quality schools require teaching experience and either TEFL, TESOL or CELTA certification. Costa Rica TEFL teacher trainers combine years of experience in teaching foreign languages to offer you a unique opportunity to earn an Internationally Accredited TEFL / TESOL certificate that will qualify you to teach EFL/ESL in Costa Rica or anywhere in the world. We offer a balanced program which focuses on key areas for being a successful EFL/ESL teacher such as: teaching methodologies, teaching techniques, learning styles, classroom management, classroom adaptation, culture in the classroom, effective lesson planning, creativity in the classroom and more. In addition, we will assist you in finding a job teaching English abroad throughout your TEFL / TESOL career.

• Internationally Accredited intensive TEFL course
  • Free Spanish Lessons
  • Free Yoga classes on the beach
  • Guaranteed job placement assistance
North America » Costa Rica » Samara Beach
North America » Costa Rica
Salary / Benefits
We offer lifelong job placement assistance for teaching English abroad. The majority of our graduates secure great English teaching jobs within 3 weeks of completing the course.
Post TEFL graduation the average teacher salary in Costa Rica ranges between $600 and $1000+ per month.
Our program is Internationally Acrredited, and we provide worldwide job placement.
Heredia, Samara

Not sure specifically about this program, but if you're not TEFL certified already, doing a certification course in the country you want to move to is a great way to move abroad. You'll arrive with contacts and a support network, and you'll buy yourself time to get settled and look for jobs :)

• Benefits
  • Facilities

Jennifer
University of Massachusetts- Boston

If you are currently researching, or if you ever have researched TEFL programs, you’ve probably realized how overwhelming the process can be. With so many options, deciding which one is best for you can be a daunting task. I was in the same boat a few months ago, and after much indecisiveness, I finally decided to email a few different courses to introduce myself, and get some information. Within 24 hours, I had received a friendly and informative response from the administrative assistant. Over the next few weeks, I continued to correspond with her, and after consistently receiving prompt, personalized, and detailed emails in return, I decided to enroll in the November-December course in 2016. It was one of the best decisions I have ever made in my life.

Before I arrived in Samara, she had arranged my accommodations, as well as my transportation to and from the airport in Liberia. Samara itself is beautiful, and right on the beach. There are enough English speakers that I didn’t feel totally out of my comfort zone, but it is very much a small town that offers an authentic Costa Rican experience and lots of opportunities to practice Spanish. TEFL offers plenty of affordable accommodations for students that range from homestays, private studios and rooms in a 2 or 3 bedroom house. Although I had a tough time deciding between all of the appealing options, I eventually settled on a private room in a lovely 2 bedroom cottage. My roommate and I quickly became friends, and I could not have been happier with my living situation.

All this being said, the knowledge that I gained in the classroom was without a doubt the best takeaway from these 4 weeks. Within the first 10 minutes of class, the teacher trainers (Julia and Arin) had my classmates and I laughing and getting to know one another. Every day, they went above & beyond to ensure that the pedagogy was presented in a fun and engaging way, and even though the course was a lot of work, the days always flew by. They both took the time to get to know us, and were always supportive, enthusiastic and knowledgeable about subject matter. One thing that makes this course particularly unique is that it offers free classes to locals. These classes are not only a way for TEFL to give back to the community, but they provide hands-on teaching for teachers in comfortable, air-conditioned classrooms. Although they do provide resources like white boards and materials for teachers to use, we were taught how to prepare lessons when these recourse are scarce. By the end of the 4 weeks, my classmates and I had all completed over 16 hours of observed teaching practice, and we all felt comfortable teaching EFL students.

Not only is Julia one of the best teachers that I have ever encountered, she is a resume and cover letter queen. She spent time with each of us to individually fine-tune our resumes and help in our job searches. My classmates and I all had interviews and a few of us (including myself) even had jobs set up by the time we graduated. No matter where you are interested in teaching, the staff at TEFL will go above and beyond to help with job placement. Overall, I would recommend this program to anyone who is interested in teaching abroad. If you are still wondering if it's right for you, my advice would be to reach out to them, start packing, and prepare yourself for a life-changing experience.

N/A

Beatriz
Sámara, Costa Rica

Total rewarding experience!

Hi there! My name is Beatriz and I am a native Spanish speaker from Costa Rica. My experience in TEFL Costa Rica was stimulating in many different ways - one of them, being a learner, was the constant challenge everyday of not only learning the process of teaching, which in my opinion is the most effective approach to teaching, but also being able to learn so many new words and phrases, and all the different semantics notions of English, which helped me to improve my vocabulary tremendously. Costa Rica TEFL also gives the opportunity to students to live a real teaching experience due to their teaching program, and that was one of the most amazing experiences. You learn to build your lessons from scratch, your creativity evolves, and the thrill of teaching and getting good feedback from the students is a rewarding experience if you haven't taught before. The variety of tools to learn and practice and the very experienced trainers makes this program one of the best so far in Costa Rica, and perhaps around the world. I chose Costa Rica TEFL because Samara is my home, but more importantly because I was able to teach my own people another language, and I as a Spanish speaker fully understand the difficulties students have while learning English as a second language. I have not been able to experience learning in a different country or place where you are not familiar with anything, but I highly recommend Samara since it is a beach town where you can go relax at the beach between breaks, and also, it is a community where there is a need to learn English as a second language. The trainers are very professional and you can make it through the course smoothly with the right amount of work and effort. They are very creative and their aim is to teach you in a way that you can put it into practice in your own lessons. This procedure, learning and teaching, worked for me perfectly, and I was able to get gratifying and solid results.

Jessica
London, ON, Canada
York University

Costa Rica TEFL exceeded my expectations!

My experience with Costa Rica TEFL was better than I ever imagined.

The teacher trainers, Barbara, Vanessa and Julia were extremely kind, caring, compassionate and patient with me. Each day I learned a small portion of teaching English as a foreign language and put my skills to use by teaching Costa Rican students. Each lesson I was given feedback that allowed me to improve as I gained more skills and confidence. By the second week, I felt very confident planning and teaching my lessons and each week after, I was able to fine tune my success in the classroom.

I feel very confident in my abilities as an EFL teacher and I am so grateful for the experience to work and learn from such an amazing team!

I would recommend Costa Rica TEFL to anyone considering a TEFL program. Not only was the team amazing, the town of Samara feels like home on the beach. I love it here and I am looking forward to the opportunity to work and live here.

Jennifer
Santa Ana, Costa Rica
Assumption College

COSTA RICA TEFL Playa Samara

The Costa Rica TEFL course was one of the best decisions I have made. I met the best group of teachers, students, and friends. I completed the course in July 2015. I have training and teaching prior to taking the course and I was able to learn so much more and practice the skills so I could be a more successful teacher in Costa Rica.
Everyday was exciting and challenging but the teachers were engaging and supportive of all the student’s needs. It was very effective that while training we were able to teach all different levels and skills so we could have experience teacher many types of students. Throughout the four weeks you learn methodologies, lesson planning, classroom management, and multiple activities that I use in my classroom today!
Samara is also the best location to take a month course. There are many activities to do in the town during the weekends or mornings when there are no classes. I was able to do surfing, kayaking, snorkel, horseback riding, and a lot of hiking. I still go back when I get the chance.
This experience has allowed me to get a dream job in Costa Rica teaching First grade in Santa Ana. I feel more prepared to teach my students now because of this class and all of the teachers that helped me get this job! I received so much support when looking for a job and the teachers were amazing taking the time to make sure I had interviews and resumes prepared to get job offers! I wouldn’t change a thing!!

I was very hesitant before the course when planning and preparing. I would have liked more support/communication or information prior to starting the program.

Natalia
Costa Rica

It was a great experience that excel my expectations.

Since the beginning the staff was very helpful and caring with everything. They help me to find a nice and incredible place to stay. Since first day instructions were given with a calendar to follow, this made the whole month well organized and enjoyable.
The course was intensive, well organize and very structure. We were able to learn while we were practicing and this help us a lot to improve.
After this month course and with the TEFL certificate I feel confident to teach. I was able to practice all we were leaning. I strongly recommend taking this course at Costa Rica TELF it is an amazing institution with a lot human warmth.
During a normal day I will wake up around 7 or 8 am, have some breakfast and ride my bike to the beach and have a quit swim in the ocean. At 10 am classes will started, we will have a lunch break at noon, where we can stay at the institution facilities to share lunch with the classmates or sometimes I bike to my place to lunch at home.
At 1 pm we will start again classes until 3pm. Then we will have time for a coffee break and then we had time to prepare ours classes as teacher. At 5 pm we will teach a class once or twice a week. The school day finish at 7 pm and usually I would go with some classmates or student for dinner, drinks or just go home to rest.

Amanda
Regina, Saskatchewan
University of Regina

Amazing.

I attended the January 2015 class. I can, without a doubt, say that this was probably one of the best experiences of my life. Not only did I gain valuable information on how to teach English as a second language, I learned value information on non-traditional teaching (incorporation of kinesthetic, auditory, and visual aids/exercises), and also, I was able to learn from amazing teachers whilst growing and learning along with other amazing future-teachers. I learned so much about myself personally through this experience. I am forever grateful to the TEFL program and staff for blessing me with the opportunity to grow as a person and as a teacher.

Pura Vida!
Amanda

If I could change one thing about this program it would be the amount of "observation" time required. Sometimes observing other's classes (especially as frequently as we did) cut into our class preparation time or broke it up so it got hard to "get in a groove".

Ayjan
University of Connecticut

A great and eye opening experience!

Costa Rica TEFL was an absolutely amazing experience. The curriculum was never boring and days flew by in the classroom. I loved the opportunity to teach local Costa Ricans of all proficiency levels--I truly feel prepared to enter any classroom environment and create lesson plans from nothing. The staff of Costa Rica TEFL was always helpful and friendly, whether it be with class-related things or every day life. I couldn't imagine a better place to get certified than Playa Samara. I would recommend this program to all of my family and friends! Thank you Barbara, Bill, Matt & Greg for everything!!

GoCubsGo
Texas
Syracuse University

Change your life Do Costa Rica TEFL

Costa Rica TEFL will open your eyes to the wonderful and challenging world of teaching. It will provide you with the tools necessary to make sure you succeed teaching English no matter where you end up AND it will make sure you have a thoroughly enjoyable and fun time while you are doing it!! The staff is professional and goes well over the extra mile to make sure all the students are prepared to dominate a classroom the day they graduate. What a good experience! Do it at the Sámara location and you will spend a month in paradise while gaining valuable life experience. Don't delay DO IT!

More focus on how to control a misbehaving student

Anna
Heredia, Costa Rica
Columbia College

August 2013

This program has a great, passionate staff who teach excellently. It is also in an excellent location. The best part is being able to teach different levels of English classes to use the skills when teaching on your own after graduating from the course.

more resources for planning lessons

Bill
Guanacaste, Costa Rica
University of Arizona

Wonderful Experience

I would recommmend this program to anyone looking for a high quality, and intensive EFL training experience. The day to day activities included great classes on teaching methods, learning styles, grammar and more, and the evenings are focused on teaching real Costa Rican students. The course absolutely prepared me to teach English, even though I had no previous experience.

I really wouldn't change a thing - during the week the training was really intensive, and on the weekends I was able to enjoy the beatiful beach town of Playa Samara.

Maria
University of Montana- Missoula

Costa Rica TEFL Great Program

This is an amazing program. The teachers are absolutely wonderful and really care about giving you the best education they can provide. It is an intensive process but totally worth it. During the process and even after you receive your certification they really put in effort to help you find a job. Once you spend time in Sámara you will never want to leave but expect to find jobs in the Central Valley. All in all definitely worth one month of my time to meet friends you will have for a lifetime and an experience you will never forget!

Nothing I would change!

Mike
Long Beach, California
San Diego State University

Exceptional Program !

From day one every staff member at TEFL Costa Rica proved extremely helpful, and most of all, friendly. I feel like we were the luckiest students in the world for choosing this school and location.

I've been through seven years of university with a graduate degree and I can honestly say that we could not have had better instructors.

We were challenged and were given all the support necessary to face the challenge.

As for the location, I wish we could keep it a secret ! This tiny beach community has it all--surf, gorgeous beaches, restaurants, cafes, nightclubs, yoga on the beach, horseback riding, hiking, snorkeling, kayaking, diving, fishing. Everything you could imagine. I had to stay extra weeks just to take advantage of everything. And, I expect to be returning one day. It was paradise!

Thank you soooo much for putting a such a great program together. I have ten years teaching experience, but never was more confident in my teaching abilities as I was after completing this course.

I've already been offered 3 positions exactly where I wanted to be next year and am a week away from taking off for next year's adventure. I can't recommend this school enough. I know I'm ready now and more excited than ever to get back in the classroom.

Thanks again!

I'd actually love to spend more time in Samara! I can't think of a thing other than that. I miss the school, the staff and the beaches.

Ben
Monmouth University

TEFL Training In Beautiful Samara

I completed the Costa Rica TEFL course in August of 2012, and I was extremely satisfied with the program. The teacher trainers were passionate, engaging, friendly, and very knowledgable. We worked very hard planning lessons and covering all the material, but we had a lot of fun as well! You get real teaching experience during the first week and throughout the four weeks of training. After the program I was ready to teach, and was able to find a job teaching English in San Jose within one week. The staff was very helpful with assisting me in writing my resume, building my portfolio, and networking with various companies throughout Costa Rica. To top it all off, you couldn’t ask for a better location; Samara is a beautiful town with friendly people and beautiful beaches.

Andrea

Great experience!

When I first started this program I was really nervous for so many things, but especially because I didn’t know basically anything about teaching and it was very difficult to picture myself in front of a class teaching English. But after the first days -if not hours- taking classes with the awesome trainers, I started feeling more comfortable with the idea and actually started thinking of how I was going to use everything I was learning in my own classroom. Without even noticing it I suddenly realized that I had learned a lot and that I felt ready and with enough confidence and tools to teach!

Intensive classes, intensive days... this is how the program works! You just have to enjoy the experience, embrace it, give your best every day even though you are tired, and take advantage of everything it offers. There is always someone you can talk to, ask questions and even work together on your classes, TEFL Costa Rica has a great sense of community and you will feel it from day one.

For me it wasn’t always an easy and natural process since English is my second language, but it was definitely a learning experience that required effort and commitment and I will always be grateful for the opportunity and the amazing experience.

And if you are out there and still deciding about taking the course, coming to Costa Rica, becoming a teacher... stop thinking and just do it! TEFL Costa Rica in the beautiful Playa Samara is the best way to go, you won’t regret it.

Marcia
Costa Rica -Argentina

TEFL in wonderful Costa Rica!! My ticket to see the world!

For me the Costa Rica TEFL course was such an amazing experience!...As a Costa Rican, I was lucky enough to win a full scholarship to be able to become an EFL teacher!...This is something I always wanted and this course was the tool for me to achieve it!.
As a non-native my experience was really unique. It was hard and intense and for moments I wasn't sure if I was going to make it, but the support, help, willingness and great vibe that I got from the teachers and everyone at Costa Rica TEFL, including my fellow peers, was more than enough to get me through and to enjoy every moment of it!...
By the end of it I honestly didnt want it to be over! I wish we could've had more time!!...
I have a newly found appreciation for teaching as I got so attached to the kids that came to our classes in Samara every week!
Samara was just the icing on the cake! What better place to relax after every intense class and every intense week!
I hope to use this certificate as my ticket to see the world while I improve my teaching skills! And I can definetely say that every single thing I learned I will use!!
I highly recommend this course, I believe its completely organized, well prepared, the staff is amazing, and the experience is just one of a kind!
Thank you Barbara, Kat, Kim and Sonya. Thank you Costa Rica TEFL for one of the best experiences I ever had!!!

klprkr
Samara, Costa Rica
Norwich University

Wonderful course in beautiful Samara, Costa Rica!

I received my TEFL certification through Costa Rica TEFL this past July and I cannot say enough how valuable the experience was for me! The teacher trainers are amazing. They are patient and knowledgeable, but also consistently ensure that the students are having fun. The classes are interesting and interactive and small in size so that each student gets all the support and feedback necessary to develop as a confident and effective teacher. My favorite part of the course was that I got to actually teach EFL classes throughout the month with the help and support of the teacher trainers and my fellow students. This collaborative, hands-on practice allowed me to immediately put to use all of the tools I was learning, become familiar with various levels of students, and also to feel like I was a part of the community in beautiful Samara. I have now been teaching EFL in Costa Rica for six months and loving every minute of it!

Do you want to see the world, experience new cultures and languages, and live abroad? What better way than by teaching English?

Gone are the days when just any Native English speaker can get hired to teach English; most quality schools now require teaching experience