Get TEFL Certified in a tropical paradise!

Costa Rica TEFL Nov/Dec 2017
Making lifelong friends: Annie, myself, Britni, and Kaitlyn!
January TEFL grads with their certificates
January TEFL grads with their certificates
Sunsets always look like this in Playa Samara
Sunsets always look like this in Playa Samara
Myself (left), Annie, and Andra prepping for our class!
Costa Rica TEFL Graduates enjoying their time off traveling around Costa Rica
Costa Rica TEFL Graduates enjoying their time off traveling around Costa Rica

Do you want to see the world, experience new cultures and languages, and live abroad? What better way then by teaching English? Gone are the days of just any Native English speaker being hired to teach English; most quality schools require teaching experience and either TEFL, TESOL or CELTA certification. Costa Rica TEFL teacher trainers combine years of experience in teaching foreign languages to offer you a unique opportunity to earn an Internationally Accredited TEFL / TESOL certificate that will qualify you to teach EFL/ESL in Costa Rica or anywhere in the world. We offer a balanced program which focuses on key areas for being a successful EFL/ESL teacher such as: teaching methodologies, teaching techniques, learning styles, classroom management, classroom adaptation, culture in the classroom, effective lesson planning, creativity in the classroom and more. In addition, we will assist you in finding a job teaching English abroad throughout your TEFL / TESOL career.

• Internationally Accredited intensive TEFL course
  • Free Spanish Lessons
  • Free Yoga classes on the beach
  • Guaranteed job placement assistance

Not sure specifically about this program, but if you're not TEFL certified already, doing a certification course in the country you want to move to is a great way to move abroad. You'll arrive with contacts and a support network, and you'll buy yourself time to get settled and look for jobs :)

• Benefits 10
  • Facilities 9.6
  • Instruction 9.7
  • Academic Rigor 8.1
  • Job Assistance 9.7
Kyle

Can’t think of a better place to get a TEFL

Costa Rica TEFL is located in one of the nicest beach towns in Costa Rica with friendly people and fun nightlife. The staff is amazing. They will help you succeed while you are in the course, and help you to find a great job after. Even if you never teach a single day after this, you will benefit from the experience. You are likely to learn about language education and develop a greater awareness of the importance of language in your own life. You are likely to swim, surf, hike, and or kayak in a place that couldn’t be more beautiful. You are likely to pick up a phrase or two in Spanish, or if you are already studying Spanish, you are likely to make serious gains in your conversational ability. I would recommend this course to anybody looking to travel, learn, teach, and experience.

What was your funniest moment?
The funniest moments came in class. Although you are in class many hours a day, it is constantly fun and engaging. This is precisely the method of instruction that you learn to develop as a teacher at Costa Rica TEFL.
Charlie

Passport to Freedom

I completed the course in February 2018 and honestly, it was the best thing I've done! After succumbing to the office 9-5 life post-uni, my third redundancy was the kick up the bum I needed to pursue a less ordinary life. Samara is a heavenly place. The course is brilliant - after considering doing a course online I'm so glad I didn't because I needed the hands on experience I got at CR TEFL. Unlike many alumni I'm actually back in the UK completing my Masters course in Creative Writing. I teach online which gives me the flexibility to work my job around my course. I'm working towards a dream of being a digital nomad writer/teacher, sharing what I'm learning on YouTube too. Teaching has given me the chance to be creative and feel job satisfaction I've never had before. What's more is Barbara and her team are still in touch a whole year later - they're always happy to help and make every student feel special!

Absorb yourself in it! Make the most of all the free perks, like weekly yoga classes and Spanish lessons. Embrace Pura Vida!
Morgan

If not now...when?

Dear fellow seekers,

I want to share a story that will hopefully resinate with you and help answer and guide you through any apprehensions you may have about studying and teaching abroad, in particular becoming apart of the Costa Rica TEFL community!
In September 2018, I decided to press pause on my life in Toronto, Canada and begin a new journey in Costa Rica. Like you, there were many personal events that attributed to my final decision of making that leap into the unknown, but I knew if I stayed still and followed the herd, I would become blissfully ignorant and unaware of how truly beautiful life can be. With that being said, I began my process of figuring out exactly how I was going to get myself back into a classroom. That's when I stumbled upon Costa Rica TEFL in the beautiful town of Samara.
As a life-long learner I knew, even though I was a certified teacher, there was so much more to learn in terms of teaching with different cultures, in which English was a second language. From the first day at Costa Rica TEFL, I was immediately immersed into a world of thought that I had no idea I was missing out on! I was able to dive in to the benefits of Communicative Approach, explore what it means to teach multiple intelligences, discuss how to create meaningful relationships, unleash my creativity and curiosity to create fun and engaging games, apply relevant and efficient planning processes and so much more!
Before even arriving to Samara I know I was making the right choice for my career, happiness and well-being because of the on-going support I received from the Admin staff. The effort, hours and collaboration they put in to allow us to have the best experience possible does not go unnoticed by there past TEFL students.
Since completing the amazing program, I have secured a full-time teaching position at an international, bilingual, IB accredited school! My confidence as a teacher has grown more than I could ever imagine and I am so grateful I made the choice to transform my life, starting with Costa Rica TEFL.
Remember, often times the hardest and scariest decisions will be the best you ever make.
Join Costa Rica TEFL!!

As technology is integrating itself in a huge way into the classrooms, hiring processes and day-today efficiency, I think the program would benefit from teaching students more about online teaching, Google Drive, Google Classroom, Vlogging/Blogging and other apps that schools and companies are using. Although the Portfolio portion of the course was a great way to showcase our four weeks of in-class teaching, I believe, in order to follow trend in where the world is heading, we need to be better versed in showing our skills through a technology platform.
Lexi

Amazing course, students, and staff

Costa Rica TEFL is a program designed to help you discover your own potential as an individual and as an English teacher. The staff were extremely professional and personable while instructing throughout the day and night. They were available and ready to provide beneficial feedback that allowed for me to carry out more concise lessons and to create a better classroom environment. The director of the program, Barbara, met one on one with each student for job placement assistance. She listened carefully to where each student would like to be placed and what kind of teaching experience we were looking for. She helped me land my dream job, teaching EFL in a coastal town in Costa Rica! Thank you as well to my teacher trainer's, Vanessa and Margaret. Both teacher trainers were so respectful in a process that can sometimes seem quite intimidating. The group of students in our session came from all different ages and countries. It was very interesting to hear and to view their diverse teaching methods and experiences. Thank you to Costa Rica TEFL for an incredible learning experience!

N/A
Jamela

TEFL Costa Rica

I graduated from the TEFL school in Costa Rica in September. I had so many great experiences in Samara. One of the best moments of my life. The classes are fun and well organized. Barbara who is the director helped me find a job and connected me with people after I completed the program.
I bungee jumped off the highest Cliff in Central America during a thunder storm! This was a defining moment for me because I knew that I shouldnt be afraid of anything!
After the program was over, I applied to a English position and now I am teaching in Jeju Island, which is located in South Korea. The island is beautiful and the TOEFL classes gave me the proper skills to teach English.
I love TOEFL COSTA RICA!!!!!

TOEFL Costa Rica did the best they could to supply us with the materials we needed. The school is located in an area where supplies are limited and hopefully I will be able to donate to them soon. I think that Barbara the director is doing a phenomenal job and I can see that she truly cares about the community.
Jesse

Costa Rica TEFL has it all!

If you want to learn to teach English as a Second Language, there is no better place. Intimate class size, individual attention, tough but exciting all describe Costa Rica TEFL.
Now place all this in the beautiful little beach town of Samara where you will make life long friends and you have a superior program. It changed my life. It could change yours.
With the teaching experience you get by giving classes to local children and adults you are ready for the classroom.
They were able to place several of us in an Institute in a town 2 hours away. We were there for a year and then scattered to the 4 corners all still keeping in touch.
One of us in China, one still in Costa Rica, one in Philadelphia and me in Oakland, California teaching young adults from all over the world the essential language of English.

Even more teaching time would be good. Though, it’s great as it is.
Mariah

Costa Rica TEFL is great!

I completed this program in 2017, and I am so happy I did! The staff here was supportive and ultimately helped me find a teaching job in Costa Rica. The course wasis engaging, and the teaching practicum was beyond helpful. The I carried the skills I learned here to my future teaching jobs, and I spent the last year working in a private language institute. All of the materials we needed were provided, and you are set up for success. I highly recommend this course to those who are interested in teaching English!

Tessa

10/10 would highly recommend!

When I came across Costa Rica TEFL during my research and reached out with preliminary questions, I received a prompt and detailed response, making me immediately feel like I was in good hands. Choosing Costa Rica TEFL was easily one of the best decisions I've made. Leading up to the course, Marissa and Barbara were so helpful with travel, accommodations, and answering any and all of my questions. Once beginning the actual course, teacher trainers Vanessa and Jenn made every day so much fun. It honestly never felt like I was in class and I truly felt that Vanessa and Jenn wanted us all to succeed. Getting the hands-on teaching experience right away was a crucial element to the process and I'm so grateful to have learned such tangible and applicable skills right off the bat. Aside from the course itself, I made irreplaceable memories and lifelong friends. The location in the beach town of Samara is absolutely unbeatable. Mornings and weekends were spent at the beach and exploring the town, and evenings were spent at the local beachfront bars and restaurants. If you're still wondering if you should sign up for Costa Rica TEFL, stop wondering and sign up! You won't regret it.

Jennifer

If you are currently researching, or if you ever have researched TEFL programs, you’ve probably realized how overwhelming the process can be. With so many options, deciding which one is best for you can be a daunting task. I was in the same boat a few months ago, and after much indecisiveness, I finally decided to email a few different courses to introduce myself, and get some information. Within 24 hours, I had received a friendly and informative response from the administrative assistant. Over the next few weeks, I continued to correspond with her, and after consistently receiving prompt, personalized, and detailed emails in return, I decided to enroll in the November-December course in 2016. It was one of the best decisions I have ever made in my life.

Before I arrived in Samara, she had arranged my accommodations, as well as my transportation to and from the airport in Liberia. Samara itself is beautiful, and right on the beach. There are enough English speakers that I didn’t feel totally out of my comfort zone, but it is very much a small town that offers an authentic Costa Rican experience and lots of opportunities to practice Spanish. TEFL offers plenty of affordable accommodations for students that range from homestays, private studios and rooms in a 2 or 3 bedroom house. Although I had a tough time deciding between all of the appealing options, I eventually settled on a private room in a lovely 2 bedroom cottage. My roommate and I quickly became friends, and I could not have been happier with my living situation.

All this being said, the knowledge that I gained in the classroom was without a doubt the best takeaway from these 4 weeks. Within the first 10 minutes of class, the teacher trainers (Julia and Arin) had my classmates and I laughing and getting to know one another. Every day, they went above & beyond to ensure that the pedagogy was presented in a fun and engaging way, and even though the course was a lot of work, the days always flew by. They both took the time to get to know us, and were always supportive, enthusiastic and knowledgeable about subject matter. One thing that makes this course particularly unique is that it offers free classes to locals. These classes are not only a way for TEFL to give back to the community, but they provide hands-on teaching for teachers in comfortable, air-conditioned classrooms. Although they do provide resources like white boards and materials for teachers to use, we were taught how to prepare lessons when these recourse are scarce. By the end of the 4 weeks, my classmates and I had all completed over 16 hours of observed teaching practice, and we all felt comfortable teaching EFL students.

Not only is Julia one of the best teachers that I have ever encountered, she is a resume and cover letter queen. She spent time with each of us to individually fine-tune our resumes and help in our job searches. My classmates and I all had interviews and a few of us (including myself) even had jobs set up by the time we graduated. No matter where you are interested in teaching, the staff at TEFL will go above and beyond to help with job placement. Overall, I would recommend this program to anyone who is interested in teaching abroad. If you are still wondering if it's right for you, my advice would be to reach out to them, start packing, and prepare yourself for a life-changing experience.

N/A
Beatriz

Total rewarding experience!

Hi there! My name is Beatriz and I am a native Spanish speaker from Costa Rica. My experience in TEFL Costa Rica was stimulating in many different ways - one of them, being a learner, was the constant challenge everyday of not only learning the process of teaching, which in my opinion is the most effective approach to teaching, but also being able to learn so many new words and phrases, and all the different semantics notions of English, which helped me to improve my vocabulary tremendously. Costa Rica TEFL also gives the opportunity to students to live a real teaching experience due to their teaching program, and that was one of the most amazing experiences. You learn to build your lessons from scratch, your creativity evolves, and the thrill of teaching and getting good feedback from the students is a rewarding experience if you haven't taught before. The variety of tools to learn and practice and the very experienced trainers makes this program one of the best so far in Costa Rica, and perhaps around the world. I chose Costa Rica TEFL because Samara is my home, but more importantly because I was able to teach my own people another language, and I as a Spanish speaker fully understand the difficulties students have while learning English as a second language. I have not been able to experience learning in a different country or place where you are not familiar with anything, but I highly recommend Samara since it is a beach town where you can go relax at the beach between breaks, and also, it is a community where there is a need to learn English as a second language. The trainers are very professional and you can make it through the course smoothly with the right amount of work and effort. They are very creative and their aim is to teach you in a way that you can put it into practice in your own lessons. This procedure, learning and teaching, worked for me perfectly, and I was able to get gratifying and solid results.

Jessica

Costa Rica TEFL exceeded my expectations!

My experience with Costa Rica TEFL was better than I ever imagined.

The teacher trainers, Barbara, Vanessa and Julia were extremely kind, caring, compassionate and patient with me. Each day I learned a small portion of teaching English as a foreign language and put my skills to use by teaching Costa Rican students. Each lesson I was given feedback that allowed me to improve as I gained more skills and confidence. By the second week, I felt very confident planning and teaching my lessons and each week after, I was able to fine tune my success in the classroom.

I feel very confident in my abilities as an EFL teacher and I am so grateful for the experience to work and learn from such an amazing team!

I would recommend Costa Rica TEFL to anyone considering a TEFL program. Not only was the team amazing, the town of Samara feels like home on the beach. I love it here and I am looking forward to the opportunity to work and live here.

Jennifer

COSTA RICA TEFL Playa Samara

The Costa Rica TEFL course was one of the best decisions I have made. I met the best group of teachers, students, and friends. I completed the course in July 2015. I have training and teaching prior to taking the course and I was able to learn so much more and practice the skills so I could be a more successful teacher in Costa Rica.
Everyday was exciting and challenging but the teachers were engaging and supportive of all the student’s needs. It was very effective that while training we were able to teach all different levels and skills so we could have experience teacher many types of students. Throughout the four weeks you learn methodologies, lesson planning, classroom management, and multiple activities that I use in my classroom today!
Samara is also the best location to take a month course. There are many activities to do in the town during the weekends or mornings when there are no classes. I was able to do surfing, kayaking, snorkel, horseback riding, and a lot of hiking. I still go back when I get the chance.
This experience has allowed me to get a dream job in Costa Rica teaching First grade in Santa Ana. I feel more prepared to teach my students now because of this class and all of the teachers that helped me get this job! I received so much support when looking for a job and the teachers were amazing taking the time to make sure I had interviews and resumes prepared to get job offers! I wouldn’t change a thing!!

I was very hesitant before the course when planning and preparing. I would have liked more support/communication or information prior to starting the program.
Natalia

It was a great experience that excel my expectations.

Since the beginning the staff was very helpful and caring with everything. They help me to find a nice and incredible place to stay. Since first day instructions were given with a calendar to follow, this made the whole month well organized and enjoyable.
The course was intensive, well organize and very structure. We were able to learn while we were practicing and this help us a lot to improve.
After this month course and with the TEFL certificate I feel confident to teach. I was able to practice all we were leaning. I strongly recommend taking this course at Costa Rica TELF it is an amazing institution with a lot human warmth.
During a normal day I will wake up around 7 or 8 am, have some breakfast and ride my bike to the beach and have a quit swim in the ocean. At 10 am classes will started, we will have a lunch break at noon, where we can stay at the institution facilities to share lunch with the classmates or sometimes I bike to my place to lunch at home.
At 1 pm we will start again classes until 3pm. Then we will have time for a coffee break and then we had time to prepare ours classes as teacher. At 5 pm we will teach a class once or twice a week. The school day finish at 7 pm and usually I would go with some classmates or student for dinner, drinks or just go home to rest.

Amanda

Amazing.

I attended the January 2015 class. I can, without a doubt, say that this was probably one of the best experiences of my life. Not only did I gain valuable information on how to teach English as a second language, I learned value information on non-traditional teaching (incorporation of kinesthetic, auditory, and visual aids/exercises), and also, I was able to learn from amazing teachers whilst growing and learning along with other amazing future-teachers. I learned so much about myself personally through this experience. I am forever grateful to the TEFL program and staff for blessing me with the opportunity to grow as a person and as a teacher.

Pura Vida!
Amanda

If I could change one thing about this program it would be the amount of "observation" time required. Sometimes observing other's classes (especially as frequently as we did) cut into our class preparation time or broke it up so it got hard to "get in a groove".
Ayjan

A great and eye opening experience!

Costa Rica TEFL was an absolutely amazing experience. The curriculum was never boring and days flew by in the classroom. I loved the opportunity to teach local Costa Ricans of all proficiency levels--I truly feel prepared to enter any classroom environment and create lesson plans from nothing. The staff of Costa Rica TEFL was always helpful and friendly, whether it be with class-related things or every day life. I couldn't imagine a better place to get certified than Playa Samara. I would recommend this program to all of my family and friends! Thank you Barbara, Bill, Matt & Greg for everything!!

Alumni Interviews

About Costa Rica TEFL

Do you want to see the world, experience new cultures and languages, and live abroad? What better way than by teaching English? Gone are the days when just any Native English speaker can get hired to teach English; most quality schools now require...