WorldTeach - Volunteer Teaching in Poland - (past program)

This program is no longer offered. View more programs from WorldTeach.

WorldTeach has been working with the local government in Poland to bring volunteers to public primary and secondary schools. Your responsibilities will include teaching conversational English, basic grammar, and lessons on American culture. Volunteers are also encouraged to engage in community activities and projects. WorldTeach also provides the opportunity for trips to major culture sights and celebrations in the region of Poland where you will be teaching.

With our summer program, you can also become TEFL certified to earn credibility and give you an edge in the ESL teaching job market. While certification usually costs about $1,899, with WorldTeach you can become certified for FREE while also gaining priceless in-country teaching experience.

• Benefits 8.3
  • Facilities 7.8
Katie

World Teach-Poland

World Teach had a built in community feel from the beginning. The orientations allowed group members to get to know each other and the country through excursions to Warsaw, Krakow, Zakopane, Gdansk, and Sopot. I always felt safe and thanks to some amazing host families who were connected to the school in their capacity as teachers and not merely looking to make additional money- I felt very welcomed and not a source of extra income. I did a different program later and the latter is how I felt so I know the difference.
My tip when choosing a program is to find one with worthwhile work but also those built in groups who are available to travel with you and to support you.

Cristin

Found my vocation - Teaching ESL - in Poland 1994!

My dad had told me I should be a teacher. I had said "No way!" Then I went to Poland in 1994 to teach high school in Sochaczew, Poland... I found my vocation though not my population. I learned I love being a teacher but was not wild about hormonal teenagers. I have since gotten a TEFL certification and a Masters in English (TESL and Rhet/Comp) and taught ESL (and some native speaker English Comp) for 20+ years. The karmic payoff is amazing but the day to day wages generally are low unless you are teaching as something other than a non-perm, part-time adjunct.
The WorldTeach program was perfect for me. I liked the non-selective nature of the process. My in-country support was great (especially since I got sick and had to come home early). Although I have not stayed in touch with others from my cohort, I think of them often. I would highly recommend WorldTeach to anyone who wants to teach EFL overseas!

Caitlin

Teaching in Poland- Life Changing Experience

My time in Poland is something I will cherish forever. As an education major, I was looking forward to working with children and teaching them English. Upon arrival in Warsaw, I was greeted by the field coordinator as well as the other volunteers. Our first week of orientation was great and we were able to explore some of the country. We took some pedagogy classes as well as a Polish language class. I spent the next six weeks in a small town outside of Krakow. Living with a host family is a vital part of the experience and I learned so much about myself and the country.

Overall, I would recommend this program. The only issues I had were with the organization of the field director. I did not know my placement until a few days after my initial arrival and there was lots of confusion for most of the other volunteers. It was a little disorganized but that comes with working in a different country. When the field coordinator was not helpful, the home office in Boston was.

Improve organization, communication
A.

Poland

I participated in this program in 1991 (dang I am OLD!) and to this day, I am continually reminded of many ways in which this program has influenced my career and my life. I had amazing cohort members, and I am still in contact with many of them. The program offered just the right amount of support without being micromanaging. WorldTeach as an organization has continued to thrive and to reach out to alums. I am a faculty on a state college campus, and whenever I get the chance, I plug WorldTeach!

If I could change one thing, I would like to participate again in a program, but this time bring my kids along.

About WorldTeach

WorldTeach was founded in 1986 by a group of Harvard students who were motivated by the desire to promote local education initiatives in places where teachers and resources were lacking. Today, we continue to provide opportunities for individuals to...