Teach in Spanish Schools Across Spain

Are you a recent graduate looking for a valuable professional experience in Spain? Start teaching English in Spain in September/October and finish in June 2019. Receive a monthly income, TEFL-related training (paid by the programme), and ongoing in-country support. Currently, September start is only available for candidates with an EU passport, due to visa deadlines.
Important dates:
- Deadline: August 29th
- Program length: September/October 2018 to June 2019

• Guaranteed monthly grant
  • Professional placement in a Spanish school, teaching 20 hours per week
  • Spanish public healthcare coverage
  • Initial training and teaching workshops
  • Ongoing in-country support from the school’s tutor and from Meddeas

Adam

Autonomous Auxiliare de Pais Vasco

I applied to Meddeas long after the traditional post university retreat from a "real" job auxiliare de conversacion program in Spain had closed. It took a skype interview and a jaunt to Dublin to get me into the program.
My application information was deemed enough to make me suitable for a position in Bilbao in the Basque Country. Apparently it's in Spain but I haven't seen much to suggest that's true. It rains almost every day and people say aupa more than hola.
Political unruliness aside I've had an incredible year at my school and a great experience with Meddeas.
The Meddeas team have been so helpful and always quick to answer my questions. (Quick as in, within the week, which is pretty tremendous for a Spanish program)
An added benefit (see short term stress) is the compulsory participation in an online TEFL course. This has been a pretty frustrating process for me as a lot of the taught material is so general that I end up doing extra leg work on top of it just to arrive to class prepared. That said, having a TEFL certificate and a years experience should make me employable the world over as an English teacher.
Have too many memories to even begin to share. Get your applications in and go make your own memories.

A bit more money wouldn't go a miss as we are a little overworked and underfucked compared to the auxiliare participants. But hey, if money is my only issue then they've done a top notch job because more money would always be nice.
Tesi

An incredibly rewarding experience

I am not an education major but even so, I have found this experience incredibly rewarding. Meddeas was very helpful throughout the entire process and while I was not placed in any of my 3 preferred locations, I am happy with my location and have learned to enjoy it. The Meddeas staff tries to help as much as they always can, so I never felt lost during the application process and after my arrival in Spain. They honestly always try working with you and I really appreciated that. The work experience is quite demanding but if you are up to the challenge I am sure you will find it as rewarding as I have. I wake up every morning wanting to go to work and see my kiddos! My coworkers have been very supportive as well and I am sure I can apply the work experience I have gained here to any future job I have. The added TEFL course is an excellent part of the program as well.

Kristina

Unforgettable Experience

I am a Language Assistant through the Meddeas program and I was placed in Bilbao, Spain. This program did an excellent job matching me to a school and location that I felt I would be most successful in. In addition, they provided me support through the Visa process, the numerous Spanish documentations, as well as answering any questions I have had throughout the year. This program has provided me the opportunity to live abroad, practice my Spanish, as well as create strong relationships with other Language Assistants. I am very thankful for having come across this program and highly recommend it to anyone interested in teaching English abroad.

The one downside to this program is that you come to Spain on a student Visa and thus are required to take a class throughout the year. Depending on which level you are matched with (Meddeas has three levels) you will be signed up for a class. At the advanced level you are required to take the EBE- Expert in Bilingual Education, which is a lot of work to complete but unfortunately does not really help to learn how to teach a foreign language.
Mariah Girouard
Mariah

Review of Meddeas Language Assistants in Spain

When I was first graduating college I had no idea what to do with my life. I heard about Meddeas through an email sent out by my school's career services office and I decided to apply. Little did I know that this would be one of the smartest decisions I've ever made. The process was long and intense but Meddeas helps you out every step of the way. They are great at getting back to you with email and they've answered all of my million and 1 questions. I felt very supported by Meddeas from the very beginning.

The orientation was also very helpful as it provided some insights into the workplace culture and social mores in Spain and it also gave us some workshops for the ages that we are teaching. I found the workshops to be extremely helpful as they gave us some ideas of different activities that we can do in our lessons and what to expect from the children. I felt prepared to enter the workplace after the orientation and it was also great for meeting new people in the program and networking.

I know a few other people from different programs in Spain that are similar to Meddeas and from what they tell me, their programs aren't nearly as supportive or organized. I feel lucky that Meddeas chose me because I wouldn't want to be a part of another program.

This program has taught me so much about myself and what I am capable of. I've grown as a professional and I now feel like I can take on the universe. I love the variety from day to day and I am never bored here. This is such an amazing opportunity and I'm so grateful to be a part of it.

Maybe this program can have more support for non EU citizens. The visa process is very complicated and stressful so if they could have a better understanding of the process they could maybe support us better!
Rebecca

Highly recommended!

I am currently working and studying in Spain with Meddeas and I would highly recommend both the company and the experience. The program allows you to study a course related to teaching English and also work with school students in Spain. I didn´t have any teaching experience, but Meddeas, the online University and my school have supported me and, after 5 months, I have already learned so much! If you want to work, study and live abroad all at the same time, I´d recommend applying!

Paige

Teaching and Learning in Spain with Meddeas

I have been teaching kindergarden and primary school students as an English language assistant in a public school in Logrono, the capital of the northern region La Rioja, for almost 5 months and I would definitely recommend the program to anyone who either wants to experience teaching and travelling for a year and also for anyone who wants to begin or further their teaching career. There are different programs available (speakers, graduate and advanced), which means you can do the program even if you haven´t taught before. The programme involves a year long internship in a school in Spain and from the very beginning they do their best to cater to your interests and preferences. They ask you in the application and interview processes what kind of place you would like to be in (what kind of city, population etc.), what students (age range) you would prefer to teach and if you want to live with a host family or independently. When you first arrive there is a training session and an online university course is provided as part of the internship. Meddeas´ staff offer a lot of support before even arriving to Spain and during your stay. They are always friendly and willing to help if you have any problems related to administrative matters or your school. Working as a language assistant allows you to begin or further your teaching career, learn and develop new skills that are valuable in any job, learn Spanish, learn about Spanish culture and meet wonderful people! I will never get tired of hearing my students shout my name around the school or the little ones running to give me hugs! Not only am I teaching them but I am learning a lot from them and from my experience here in Spain.

Criostoir

A wonderful way to experience Spain!

Working as a language assistant with Meddeas is an unmissable opportunity! I am currently working in a primary school teaching kids of around 8 to 10 years old. My duties mainly entail helping the main class teacher in class. I help with activities, read to them, give language and cultural insights and overall help them to get more used to speaking English and hearing a native accent.

With Meddeas you will gain unbeatable teaching experience, not to mention the very helpful and insightful online TEFL course which is provided for free from the Universitat Internacional de Catalunya. Not only this, but Meddeas offers an unbelievable way to live and work in Spain. This is a great country to come and see and with every weekend off (I have the added bonus of having a long weekend!) I get to explore the many amazing sights on the doorstep of Madrid. Not to mention the many amazing sights and activities taking place in Madrid itself!

I would definitely recommend the Meddeas programme to anyone who wants to gain teaching experience, live in Spain, travel or to anyone who is just trying to figure out what to do next in their career!

Very little to improve. Keep up the good work Meddeas!
Elizabeth

Review: Meddeas

I found that overall, Meddeas was a fun way to get experience working abroad. I was placed in an excellent bilingual school in Huelva, Spain where I've gained valuable experience working with students ages six to eighteen. I have improved my public speaking, organizational, problem solving and teaching skills immensely through this program, especially since we are placed in a free TESOL certification course (my instructor is fantastic too). I've been placed with an open and loving host family that has helped me improve my Spanish greatly for the past six months or so since I've arrived. Because of this program, Spain will always have a special place in my heart.

Overall, Meddeas is very organized and really seems to care a lot about the imput of it's language assistants. Someone from the company reaches out every few months to check in, they are great about communicating when it comes to the paperwork throughout the process, and they love to get us involved in sharing with prospective language assistants about our time here. I couldn't really ask for more from them. One thing that could maybe be changed is having the orientation in two places in Spain (one in Barcelona and another more central location for those who are placed far away from that city), but otherwise, I've really enjoyed my time working for Meddeas.
Hannah

Kick off a teaching carrer!

Working with Meddeas has been a great experience and has given me the chance to immerse myself in Spanish culture, improve my Spanish language skills and gain many other transferable skills which I can use in my career.

Depending on where you are placed, your experience can vary greatly, but I haven't heard of any participants who haven't enjoyed the programme. Some are in small towns, some in big cities, and it seems that each and every placement has different things to offer. Spanish music, food and traditions vary greatly from city to city, and it is just waiting to be discovered by you.

The actual teaching part also varies. Meddeas is a great company to work for given that they provide online training throughout the academic year, depending on your level of experience, so there really is a programme for everyone. Whether you are just out of high school or a graduate wondering what path to take next, this is the programme for you.

For me, this has been the perfect way to kick off my teaching career, because it has allowed me to ease myself into the profession and get used to working with children. I would recommend this programme for anyone wishing to improve their language skills , start a career in teaching and discover a new language and culture.

Natalie

One of the Best Experiences

I came to Spain through the Auxiliar de Conversacion program at first, and then switched to Meddeas after my first year. I was looking for something more challenging and with more responsibility than the government program, and I found it with Meddeas. I have absolutely loved living in Spain with the program. The staff is responsive and has answered all of my questions in a timely fashion. They help with the whole start-up process even though I was already used to it having lived here one before. They put you in great schools, with great teachers and students. I have made a special bond with all of my students and colleagues, and I have made so many great memories throughout my two years in Spain. I am definitely going to miss it!

Alex

Meddeas, the most reliable 'Auxiliar' program in Spain

There are a lot of programs in Spain for English speakers to come and earn some cash, spend time overseas, travel and teach. Some offer less hours, more money, or less days of work. However, when it comes to which program is going to be the most professional, reliable and offer the most support, Meddeas is the one.

Meddeas is one of the only programs where participants are communicated with in English, with the company's support team being very prompt in replying to emails and helping people to work out their visa processes. While in some programs the participants' income is weeks or even a month late, with Meddeas this is never a problem. I have never had a late payment, and in fact have often been paid early. . Many other auxiliars from other programs have told me, its normal that they don't get paid until two months after they have started working.

Unlike programs run by the Ministry of Education or other programs, Meddeas is a private company and upholds the standards of a private company; bearing a good professional reputation. Meddeas is familiar with dealing with people from a number of countries and therefore their ability to communicate with and support their participants is one of their best qualities.

I would recommend Meddeas to others. It is definitely one of the best ways to start in Spain.

Possibility of more than 2 years in the program
Possibility of providing health insurance

About Meddeas

Meddeas is a Spanish organization with presence in five countries that supports multilingual teaching in more than 200 educational centres. It offers language assistant programs and provides consultancy services. Recent graduates from all the main...