Get Paid to Teach English in Spain with a TEFL Certification

Get Paid to Teach English in Spain with TEFL Certification

Interested in getting paid to travel the world? By earning your accredited TEFL certification with International TEFL Academy, you can teach English in Spain & 80+ countries worldwide.

Spain is one of the most popular locations in Europe and the world for teaching English abroad. A 4-year university degree is preferred but not required to teach in Spain. A TEFL certification is strongly recommended.

A job teaching English in Spain is one of the best ways to live abroad, build your resume, make friends from all over the world, and explore one of the most exciting countries in Europe. The most popular cities for English teaching jobs in Spain are Madrid, Barcelona, Seville, and Valencia.

ITA offers TEFL classes in Spain (Barcelona & Madrid), Online, and in 25 locations worldwide. If you’re passionate about learning Spanish, ITA also has offers a student visa program that allows Americans to work legally in Spain while attending Spanish and cultural classes for the year.

Why is International TEFL Academy the Right Choice?

• One-on-One Pre-Enrollment Guidance: What TEFL class is best for teaching English in Spain? Is Spain the right country choice for me? How much money do I need to bring with me to Spain & what kind of visa do I need? Your personal ITA Advisor will help you navigate these questions about TEFL certification & teaching English abroad in Spain, including detailed information about English teaching jobs in popular cities like Madrid, Barcelona Seville, and Valencia.
  • Professional TEFL Certification Courses: We offer accredited TEFL certification courses online (11 weeks online) and in-person (4 weeks) in 25 locations worldwide, including Barcelona and Madrid. Every ITA TEFL class exceeds international professional standards for instructor qualifications, accredited curriculum, and student teaching hours.
  • We Have Been in YOUR shoes: Everyone on the ITA staff has extensive international experience. Travel is in our blood. It’s our passion to help people realize how realistic this dream of living & working abroad can be. We all appreciate the challenges & rewards of living, traveling, and working abroad.
  • One-on-One Job Search Guidance for Teaching English in Spain: How do I actually find a teaching job in Spain? Once enrolled in any ITA TEFL class, you’ll work with our team of expert Student Affairs advisors to help you prepare for your job search in Spain. Enjoy access to the most comprehensive job resources & guidance on the planet to help you navigate international job markets across Spain, Europe and in 80 countries worldwide.
  • Access to ITA Worldwide Alumni Network: Don’t know anyone in Spain? No problem! Spain is one of the most popular countries for ITA graduates teaching English abroad. As an ITA alumni you have exclusive opportunities to network, connect, and correspond with our 20,000 ITA alumni teaching English across the globe. This is a great way to meet friends before you get to Spain & get all of your questions answered by current ITA alumni on the ground abroad in Europe!

Where In The World Should You Teach Abroad?

Should you teach English in Japan, Spain or Costa Rica? What about Thailand or Italy? Compare 60+ countries side-by-side including salaries, hiring requirements & hiring seasons, to choose where in the world you should teach English abroad. Get TEFL certified with ITA and let's make 2020 the year you get out and see the world!

Click the link below to access your free country comparison chart:

This is actually a sometimes heated debate in Barcelona. I can't answer the question for all of Spain as it depends on where you go. As for Barcelona, outside of the city it's not as much of an issue as it's harder to find English teachers in general, but in bigger cities there are so many English teachers available. I don't know what the obsession is, but very often students request and make it a...

If the question is about the actual moving abroad and living overseas with family (not just the 4 week TEFL class), here's an article to assist you: Is it possible to teach English abroad with children?https://www.internationalteflacademy.com/faq/bid/104387/is-…

• Benefits 8.8
  • Facilities 7.4
  • Instruction 9.4
  • Academic Rigor 7.4
  • Job Assistance 8.3
Danielle

Smart Move

I just graduated college in May of this year and had absolutely no idea what I wanted to do for the short term. I noticed a lot of my friends had applied to fellowships to either do research or teach abroad, so I figured "well, why don't I look into teaching abroad"? Ultimately, I stumbled upon ITA through a simple, but fateful google search. Next thing I know, I'm wrapping up my course and organizing plans to move to move to Spain! Although fed up with taking classes ITA's course was different in that it allowed me to put to practice what I learned by giving me assignments that I'd actually do as a teacher. I was actually able to step into the role of a teacher through them, and now I feel prepared to go make a life for myself as a budding professional. T'was a smart move indeed, one I have no absolutely no regrets in making.

I have no improvement suggestions; I am completely satisfied with this course.
Jessica

Excellent TEFL course! Better certification than others and excellent support & job/visa assistance!

I chose ITA for my TEFL certification because they have a better reputation than other TEFL programs. They require a little more work of their students (thus students are better prepared), but the course as a whole was very well structured and made me think like a teacher! Highly recommend this course as you'll leave it with a certificate that has a top reputation, you get personalized guidance through the job finding and visa process, and the instructors are super accessible! The nice thing about this course is that they provide you a full textbook if you take the course online, and you can use it for future reference. The textbook provides you a strong baseline/guidelines and examples, and then peer interaction in the class message board is great to bounce ideas off each other and get useful links from your classmates. The task assignments are great to push you out of your thinking box and help you find outside resources, and the instructor gives you personal feedback as well. It's great!

I would say that it's only 10+ weeks to complete and become certified. This course does require you to complete 20 hours of shadowing in a teaching classroom, which is very beneficial! I was hesitant to spend a little more money, but in the end I think it's totally worth it for the reputation and preparation you receive.
Response from International TEFL Academy

Thank you so much for sharing your experience, Jessica. You're right, our course is definitely not the type of class that you just breeze through, but it's worth it! We're always here to assist you along the way in your job search so don't hesitate to reach out. - ITA

Michael

I Recommend it!

I'm always happy when I find those rare instructors and programs that actually know their subject well enough and care enough about it to teach it well---with strategically placed content and relevant student tasks. ITA is a great example of such a program and such instructors. The homework took just the right amount of time each week and I truly found myself learning things that felt useful. I often felt inspired to apply what I learned, as I could easily see its application and importance. I usually don't write reviews of products and services, but because ITA did such a good job of meeting a need that I rarely see met, I wanted to write this review. I really want ITA to become an example to the world of good teaching and good student programs.

It met all my expectations. No improvements come to mind.
Alison

International TEFL Academy - Online Course

I took International TEFL Academy's online course starting in June 2019. I can't emphasize how helpful it was for someone who had absolutely no teaching background, minus a few workshops or facilitation sessions I've conducted at work. It was really helpful to understand and actually craft lesson plans, review lexis and grammar, and gain tips & tricks for classroom management. Overall, I highly recommend this course for anyone who is ready to travel and earn an income while doing so. Additionally, the online course was great for me, as I work full time Monday-Friday from about 8-5 (which helps me save money to go abroad!). For those waffling about taking an in-person or online TEFL certification, I would say both have their pros and cons. But for an online course, I found this really interactive and organized.

In terms of job search guidance - I haven't really gotten to this portion yet because I just wrapped up the main course and I am not planning on leaving the US to teach abroad for some time. However, ITA's job manual, informational videos about particular countries, links to Facebook groups, Instagram stories for those who are teaching abroad, and the Q&As that they post on social media are already extremely helpful. I've been narrowing down my choices based on a lot those resources, and I look forward to speaking with a job search advisor soon. Overall, if you're thinking about a TEFL certification, I'd highly recommend ITA.

At the end of the course you have the option to add on two extra weeks for Young Learners and Business Professionals (free of charge!). I was really excited about this, and still think it's beneficial. However, they threw in the two weeks right at the end of the course and made the first week of Young Learners the same week as the final project was due. It was all so much and I stayed up really late to balance everything I had to do while maintaining a day job from 8-6. I'd suggest to ITA that they should communicate that the two extra weeks will be concurrent with the final project and have different due dates than what was in the main course, to prepare online students that it could be a really busy week.
Response from International TEFL Academy

This is an incredibly thoughtful review! Thank you for sharing your story and honest feedback, we greatly appreciate it. Don't hesitate to get in touch if we can ever help you out! You have lifetime job search guidance so when you're ready to get moving on your job search, call/email Student Affairs and they will be ready to help you out! Happy travels! - ITA

Ian James

Teach English, Travel the world and Explore cultures

My experience with ITA was wonderful and the course was intensive and informative. Doing the online course was helpful especially with working and being with the family.

The online course with deadlines helped keep me on track and the assignments were really what teachers need to do and that is planning good lessons and giving awesome lessons. All in all, the course was practical and what we as teachers do on a daily basis.

Future participants should know that the course is tough but useful and it really does open many doors and with the ITA support there are so many countries to be explored and cultures to experience.

I was already working at a high school in Spain and wanted to have a title behind me, so I did the course and continue working even getting a slight raise for the certificate.

Useful tips are stay focused, stay on course, learn and most importantly enjoy, because this is what you have chosen to do and when you get into a classroom, you need to be enthusiastic, approachable and knowledgeable.

The program can´t be improved but I think it would be a great idea if ITA developed another course from perhaps certificate to diploma.

In other words, two courses Certificate and Diploma in TESOL training.
Ted

Great Experience!!

ITA's TEFL program was critical in helping me move abroad and secure a job teaching English in Spain. Overall it was a smooth process and they provided me with all the necessary tools to get set up and still continue to play a critical role with the large network of alumni. They helped me with getting my student visa from the beginning of the process until the end. They provided an excellent onsite 4 week training course in Madrid to learn "how" to actually teach English and they are still available in case I need anything. Plus I love the idea that I can now teach English practically anywhere in the world!

Keep inspiring!
Djuka

TEFL Academy Review

I have always loved traveling, learning about other cultures, meeting new people, and just immersing myself in completely different worlds. After graduating, I knew I wanted to spend some time traveling and living abroad, so I knew that I would have to find a way to support myself while doing that. After graduating with a degree in education, I thought teaching abroad would be the best option for me. When I began my research on how to do that, one word (acronym, at that) kept coming up: TEFL. I enrolled for the online course right to begin right after graduation and I really have no complaints about the entire process. The advisors that I spoke to were extremely knowledgeable and willing to help with whatever questions I have. The course instructor created assignments that took the course readings to the next level and really maximized our learning. Finally, the content taught was valuable and covered a wide range of experiences while teaching and living abroad. While it was a little pricey, I truly believe that the growth I will experience as a human being while living in a foreign country will make it all worth it.

N/a
Salina

Great experience!

I had a great experience with obtaining my TEFL certification. Student affairs was always available to answer my numerous questions about obtaining a visa and a job once abroad. The practicum by far was the most helpful portion of the course for me! Course work and in class experience are very different and it really helped to observe some classes before working online or abroad! Students in the classes I observed eventually relied on me to answer their questions with class work and homework which really helped my confidence in the classroom and is something I will always remember!

I would suggest offering more help with understanding the requirements for obtaining a visa. It was a confusing process. A thorough breakdown would be very helpful.
Sean

International TEFL Academy Review

My overall experience with International TEFL Academy was fantastic. The teachers and advisors were, and still are, very helpful and are quick to respond to any questions or issues that may arise. The course itself was vastly informative, and really covered everything one would need to know to confidently teach a class of ESL learners. I would greatly recommend this program to anyone who is interested in teaching abroad!

Haley

Worth it!

ITA is so worth it because they offer assistance that other companies do not. Yes, you can get certified elsewhere but the advice, information and assistance they offer is invaluable. Additionally, the course is very comprehensive and helps a lot if you’re a first-time teacher. I could not imagine going to teach abroad without having taking the course by ITA. I would recommend ITA to everyone that wants to teach abroad - they really make it easy.

None.
Get Paid to Teach English in Spain with a TEFL Certification
Christina

Opportunity of a lifetime...WORTH IT!

I'm so grateful I decided to get TEFL certified and here's why. Basically, like many, I was looking to change my career, move to a foreign country, travel and learn Spanish. Let's face it, deciding to quit your comfortable job and sell your things to "take a leap of faith" to live and work in a new country in a new career is scary. I knew that if I wasn't going to do this I wanted to be as prepared as possible and to make the transition as seamless as possible. I wanted to really enjoy this experience and limit any amount of difficulties at the get go. So I chose to get TEFL certified onsite in the 4 week TEFL program in Madrid which included a 1 year student visa. While it's a bit pricey, in my experience, it's totally worth it. Immediately when you sign up you are added to the ITA database and are connected internationally to teachers all over the world including those here in Spain. The alumni network alone has proven to be very useful in the transition period and overall support. The TEFL program itself is intensive and can be a bit overwhelming at times but it really gives you a full submersion on the "how" to teach English. They also assisted with helping me create a new resume and put me in contact with several language academies to interview with. I was hired immediately after the program. This was great because I didn't have to stress about looking for a job. I'm also grateful I chose the student visa option. Not only does it include a year of Spanish classes (which I was very interested in) but it also allows you to live, work and even travel here in Spain comfortably. Again, I was looking to make the process as smooth as possible. Thankfully with my ITA TEFL certification I was able to do that. I'm still here today living and working Madrid 2 years later and have no plans to return as of yet. Thank you ITA for changing my life and giving me the opportunity of a lifetime!

Nothing that I can think of at the moment, great work ITA!
Read my full story
Shannen

What it's really like in a month-long TEFL course

This TEFL course was one of the most interesting experiences I had, and I'm very glad I decided to take it. My favorite memory was the class we took in Russian, to demonstrate to us what it would be like for our students who did not yet speak any English at all.

I would want to let future participants know that while taking this course gave me a great foundation as a new teacher with no previous experience, I would have liked more assistance with how to apply for work or student visas once you want to actually start teaching. You should also know that as the course is only four weeks long, it has a very intense schedule. If you want to take advantage of being in a foreign city while taking the course, you need to plan to either arrive early or stay later, as you won't have time during the four weeks to do so.

My instructors were very knowledgable, helpful, and gave feedback to each student. They also wrote me a letter of recommendation for a job I applied to.

It would be extra helpful if they extended the program by a week to help fit in more job application and visa tips rather than focusing solely on lesson plan-making, etc.
Jill

A Year in Madrid

My husband and I had been talking about moving overseas for a long time, so when we finally settled on Madrid, the student visa/TEFL program through ITA made a lot of sense for us. It certainly isn't cheap, but they made the process super easy and answered any and all questions along the way. Just keep in mind that the people who you speak with in the states are not the people who you will be talking to here. This confused me at first, but everyone was awesome so it really didn't matter. If I could give three pieces of advice, they would be:

1. Do the one-month certification course in Madrid. You make friends, get to know your instructors, and have time to settle into your life.
2. Save more money than you think you'll need and count on making less than you're told. In Spain, there are a lot of holidays. It's nice because you get days off, but as hourly jobs often go, you don't get paid for the days you don't work. Combine this with the general flakiness of students/academies/etc... means you often don't work your full hours each month.
3. Be flexible with your living situation. Landlords here don't love renting to ex-pat teachers, so it wasn't easy for us to find a place here. A lot of people wanted us to put down a ridiculous amount (8 months in one place) because of our student visa/part-time work status. If you're coming here on your own, it can also be difficult because there are so many people looking for rooms and places.

All in all, I'd highly recommend that anyone thinking about moving to Madrid should do it. We've traveled all around Europe, made amazing friends, and had a wonderful year getting to know this amazing city.

I would try and lower people's expectations about how much money they will make (especially in the beginning) and how much things cost. I think we were told we could make like 1600 euros/month, and I don't know anyone making that much working 20 hours. Also, it was really hard for everyone I know to find a permanent place. The program was helpful in the beginning to find temporary places, so I think I'd just make sure people knew to start looking asap for places bc it takes a while.
Danielle

ITA Barcelona

I took my TEFL course at ITA Barcelona, and wouldn't have changed a thing! The experience was incredibly personalized, and the instructors were not only amazingly knowledgable, but also became friends throughout the course. They pushed us to work our hardest and get the most out of the month, and I left feeling over-prepared for the job I ended up getting. Kerry and Stephen have been working as English teachers in Barcelona for years, so they were also able to help navigate job searching at the end of the course, and have remained available for advice or questions. I couldn't recommend ITA Barcelona more!!

Taylor

Networking and Teaching

I chose to teach in Barcelona, Spain because I knew the job outlook was pretty high. I was very nervous coming here without a job, but finding a job was not difficult at all. In fact, the very day of my flight to Barcelona, I was invited to two interviews once I landed. Prior to flying to Barcelona, I utilized the Barcelona TEFL Teachers Association Facebook page to network with people. I found many other people doing the same thing, and networked with a few to meet up. I also networked with future employers and contacted them with my CV. Turns out this is a great resource and landed me various teaching jobs. Though I originally wanted to teach in a school, I ended up teaching many private lessons. I actually loved teaching private lessons because I got to know my students on a more personal level and I was able to cater each lesson to them individually.

I would incorporate modules that relate to private lessons. I would also maybe have more lessons about grammar as that is what is taught in more ESL classes.