Get Paid to Teach English in Spain with a TEFL Certification

Interested in getting paid to travel the world? By earning your accredited TEFL certification with International TEFL Academy, you can teach English in Spain & 80+ countries worldwide.

Spain is one of the most popular locations in Europe and the world for teaching English abroad. A 4-year university degree is preferred but not required to teach in Spain. A TEFL certification is strongly recommended.

A job teaching English in Spain is one of the best ways to live abroad, build your resume, make friends from all over the world, and explore one of the most exciting countries in Europe. The most popular cities for English teaching jobs in Spain are Madrid, Barcelona, Seville, and Valencia.

ITA offers TEFL classes in Spain (Barcelona & Madrid), Online, and in 25 locations worldwide. If you’re passionate about learning Spanish, ITA also has offers a student visa program that allows Americans to work legally in Spain while attending Spanish and cultural classes for the year.

Why is International TEFL Academy the Right Choice?

• One-on-One Pre-Enrollment Guidance: What TEFL class is best for teaching English in Spain? Is Spain the right country choice for me? How much money do I need to bring with me to Spain & what kind of visa do I need? Your personal ITA Advisor will help you navigate these questions about TEFL certification & teaching English abroad in Spain, including detailed information about English teaching jobs in popular cities like Madrid, Barcelona Seville, and Valencia.
  • Professional TEFL Certification Courses: We offer accredited TEFL certification courses online (11 weeks online) and in-person (4 weeks) in 25 locations worldwide, including Barcelona and Madrid. Every ITA TEFL class exceeds international professional standards for instructor qualifications, accredited curriculum, and student teaching hours.
  • We Have Been in YOUR shoes: Everyone on the ITA staff has extensive experience international experience. Travel is in our blood. It’s our passion to help people realize how realistic this dream of living & working abroad can be. We all appreciate the challenges & rewards of living, traveling, and working abroad from first-hand experience.
  • One-on-One Job Search Guidance for Teaching English in Spain: How do I actually find a teaching job in Spain? Once enrolled in any ITA TEFL class, you’ll work with our team of expert Student Affairs advisors to help you prepare for your job search in Spain. Enjoy access to the most comprehensive job resources & guidance on the planet to help you navigate international job markets across Spain, Europe and in 80 countries worldwide.
  • Access to ITA Worldwide Alumni Network: Don’t know anyone in Spain? No problem! Spain is one of the most popular countries for ITA graduates teaching English abroad. As an ITA alumni you have exclusive opportunities to network, connect, and correspond with our 20,000 ITA alumni teaching English across the globe. This is a great way to meet friends before you get to Spain & get all of your questions answered by current ITA alumni on the ground abroad in Europe!

This is actually a sometimes heated debate in Barcelona. I can't answer the question for all of Spain as it depends on where you go. As for Barcelona, outside of the city it's not as much of an issue as it's harder to find English teachers in general, but in bigger cities there are so many English teachers available. I don't know what the obsession is, but very often students request and make it a...
If the question is about the actual moving abroad and living overseas with family (not just the 4 week TEFL class), here's an article to assist you: Is it possible to teach English abroad with children? https://www.internationalteflacademy.com/faq/bid/104387/is-…
Here's the article regarding ages of teachers abroad: https://www.internationalteflacademy.com/faq/bid/104599/Are…

• Benefits 8.8
  • Facilities 7.4
  • Instruction 9.3
  • Difficulty 6.7
  • Job Assistance 8
Ian James

Teach English, Travel the world and Explore cultures

My experience with ITA was wonderful and the course was intensive and informative. Doing the online course was helpful especially with working and being with the family.

The online course with deadlines helped keep me on track and the assignments were really what teachers need to do and that is planning good lessons and giving awesome lessons. All in all, the course was practical and what we as teachers do on a daily basis.

Future participants should know that the course is tough but useful and it really does open many doors and with the ITA support there are so many countries to be explored and cultures to experience.

I was already working at a high school in Spain and wanted to have a title behind me, so I did the course and continue working even getting a slight raise for the certificate.

Useful tips are stay focused, stay on course, learn and most importantly enjoy, because this is what you have chosen to do and when you get into a classroom, you need to be enthusiastic, approachable and knowledgeable.

The program can´t be improved but I think it would be a great idea if ITA developed another course from perhaps certificate to diploma.

In other words, two courses Certificate and Diploma in TESOL training.
Ted

Great Experience!!

ITA's TEFL program was critical in helping me move abroad and secure a job teaching English in Spain. Overall it was a smooth process and they provided me with all the necessary tools to get set up and still continue to play a critical role with the large network of alumni. They helped me with getting my student visa from the beginning of the process until the end. They provided an excellent onsite 4 week training course in Madrid to learn "how" to actually teach English and they are still available in case I need anything. Plus I love the idea that I can now teach English practically anywhere in the world!

Keep inspiring!
Djuka

TEFL Academy Review

I have always loved traveling, learning about other cultures, meeting new people, and just immersing myself in completely different worlds. After graduating, I knew I wanted to spend some time traveling and living abroad, so I knew that I would have to find a way to support myself while doing that. After graduating with a degree in education, I thought teaching abroad would be the best option for me. When I began my research on how to do that, one word (acronym, at that) kept coming up: TEFL. I enrolled for the online course right to begin right after graduation and I really have no complaints about the entire process. The advisors that I spoke to were extremely knowledgeable and willing to help with whatever questions I have. The course instructor created assignments that took the course readings to the next level and really maximized our learning. Finally, the content taught was valuable and covered a wide range of experiences while teaching and living abroad. While it was a little pricey, I truly believe that the growth I will experience as a human being while living in a foreign country will make it all worth it.

N/a
Salina

Great experience!

I had a great experience with obtaining my TEFL certification. Student affairs was always available to answer my numerous questions about obtaining a visa and a job once abroad. The practicum by far was the most helpful portion of the course for me! Course work and in class experience are very different and it really helped to observe some classes before working online or abroad! Students in the classes I observed eventually relied on me to answer their questions with class work and homework which really helped my confidence in the classroom and is something I will always remember!

I would suggest offering more help with understanding the requirements for obtaining a visa. It was a confusing process. A thorough breakdown would be very helpful.
Sean

International TEFL Academy Review

My overall experience with International TEFL Academy was fantastic. The teachers and advisors were, and still are, very helpful and are quick to respond to any questions or issues that may arise. The course itself was vastly informative, and really covered everything one would need to know to confidently teach a class of ESL learners. I would greatly recommend this program to anyone who is interested in teaching abroad!

Haley

Worth it!

ITA is so worth it because they offer assistance that other companies do not. Yes, you can get certified elsewhere but the advice, information and assistance they offer is invaluable. Additionally, the course is very comprehensive and helps a lot if you’re a first-time teacher. I could not imagine going to teach abroad without having taking the course by ITA. I would recommend ITA to everyone that wants to teach abroad - they really make it easy.

None.
Get Paid to Teach English in Spain with a TEFL Certification
Christina

Opportunity of a lifetime...WORTH IT!

I'm so grateful I decided to get TEFL certified and here's why. Basically, like many, I was looking to change my career, move to a foreign country, travel and learn Spanish. Let's face it, deciding to quit your comfortable job and sell your things to "take a leap of faith" to live and work in a new country in a new career is scary. I knew that if I wasn't going to do this I wanted to be as prepared as possible and to make the transition as seamless as possible. I wanted to really enjoy this experience and limit any amount of difficulties at the get go. So I chose to get TEFL certified onsite in the 4 week TEFL program in Madrid which included a 1 year student visa. While it's a bit pricey, in my experience, it's totally worth it. Immediately when you sign up you are added to the ITA database and are connected internationally to teachers all over the world including those here in Spain. The alumni network alone has proven to be very useful in the transition period and overall support. The TEFL program itself is intensive and can be a bit overwhelming at times but it really gives you a full submersion on the "how" to teach English. They also assisted with helping me create a new resume and put me in contact with several language academies to interview with. I was hired immediately after the program. This was great because I didn't have to stress about looking for a job. I'm also grateful I chose the student visa option. Not only does it include a year of Spanish classes (which I was very interested in) but it also allows you to live, work and even travel here in Spain comfortably. Again, I was looking to make the process as smooth as possible. Thankfully with my ITA TEFL certification I was able to do that. I'm still here today living and working Madrid 2 years later and have no plans to return as of yet. Thank you ITA for changing my life and giving me the opportunity of a lifetime!

Nothing that I can think of at the moment, great work ITA!
Shannen

What it's really like in a month-long TEFL course

This TEFL course was one of the most interesting experiences I had, and I'm very glad I decided to take it. My favorite memory was the class we took in Russian, to demonstrate to us what it would be like for our students who did not yet speak any English at all.

I would want to let future participants know that while taking this course gave me a great foundation as a new teacher with no previous experience, I would have liked more assistance with how to apply for work or student visas once you want to actually start teaching. You should also know that as the course is only four weeks long, it has a very intense schedule. If you want to take advantage of being in a foreign city while taking the course, you need to plan to either arrive early or stay later, as you won't have time during the four weeks to do so.

My instructors were very knowledgable, helpful, and gave feedback to each student. They also wrote me a letter of recommendation for a job I applied to.

It would be extra helpful if they extended the program by a week to help fit in more job application and visa tips rather than focusing solely on lesson plan-making, etc.
Jill

A Year in Madrid

My husband and I had been talking about moving overseas for a long time, so when we finally settled on Madrid, the student visa/TEFL program through ITA made a lot of sense for us. It certainly isn't cheap, but they made the process super easy and answered any and all questions along the way. Just keep in mind that the people who you speak with in the states are not the people who you will be talking to here. This confused me at first, but everyone was awesome so it really didn't matter. If I could give three pieces of advice, they would be:

1. Do the one-month certification course in Madrid. You make friends, get to know your instructors, and have time to settle into your life.
2. Save more money than you think you'll need and count on making less than you're told. In Spain, there are a lot of holidays. It's nice because you get days off, but as hourly jobs often go, you don't get paid for the days you don't work. Combine this with the general flakiness of students/academies/etc... means you often don't work your full hours each month.
3. Be flexible with your living situation. Landlords here don't love renting to ex-pat teachers, so it wasn't easy for us to find a place here. A lot of people wanted us to put down a ridiculous amount (8 months in one place) because of our student visa/part-time work status. If you're coming here on your own, it can also be difficult because there are so many people looking for rooms and places.

All in all, I'd highly recommend that anyone thinking about moving to Madrid should do it. We've traveled all around Europe, made amazing friends, and had a wonderful year getting to know this amazing city.

I would try and lower people's expectations about how much money they will make (especially in the beginning) and how much things cost. I think we were told we could make like 1600 euros/month, and I don't know anyone making that much working 20 hours. Also, it was really hard for everyone I know to find a permanent place. The program was helpful in the beginning to find temporary places, so I think I'd just make sure people knew to start looking asap for places bc it takes a while.
Danielle

ITA Barcelona

I took my TEFL course at ITA Barcelona, and wouldn't have changed a thing! The experience was incredibly personalized, and the instructors were not only amazingly knowledgable, but also became friends throughout the course. They pushed us to work our hardest and get the most out of the month, and I left feeling over-prepared for the job I ended up getting. Kerry and Stephen have been working as English teachers in Barcelona for years, so they were also able to help navigate job searching at the end of the course, and have remained available for advice or questions. I couldn't recommend ITA Barcelona more!!

Taylor

Networking and Teaching

I chose to teach in Barcelona, Spain because I knew the job outlook was pretty high. I was very nervous coming here without a job, but finding a job was not difficult at all. In fact, the very day of my flight to Barcelona, I was invited to two interviews once I landed. Prior to flying to Barcelona, I utilized the Barcelona TEFL Teachers Association Facebook page to network with people. I found many other people doing the same thing, and networked with a few to meet up. I also networked with future employers and contacted them with my CV. Turns out this is a great resource and landed me various teaching jobs. Though I originally wanted to teach in a school, I ended up teaching many private lessons. I actually loved teaching private lessons because I got to know my students on a more personal level and I was able to cater each lesson to them individually.

I would incorporate modules that relate to private lessons. I would also maybe have more lessons about grammar as that is what is taught in more ESL classes.
Rachel

Challenging but rewarding

The course was challenging and time-consuming but the material taught has been very useful. I felt comfortable creating lesson plans and standing in front of a classroom upon completion of the course.

Response from International TEFL Academy

Thanks for review Rachel, we are hope you are having a great time teaching in Spain and look forward to hearing your stories on our alumni site.

Rachel

Excellent Training Provided by Highly Qualified Instructors

I strongly recommend the International TEFL Academy for TEFL training. I had an amazing experience - the course is demanding and challenging which ensures that you are well prepared to begin teaching as soon as you complete the program.

The trainers in Barcelona are absolute experts in their delivery of the material, but more importantly, in just four weeks they are able to mold you into the teacher you hoped you would be.

The course was small and the trainers were able to provide a personalized approach and take the time to meet one on one with the students and address all types of concerns - both professional and personal ones.

Practice teaching was a great experience as there are small group classes that you get to teacher while one of the trainers, either Stephen or Kerry, observes and steps in if necessary. Leading up to the class, you are taken through every step of the planning to make the lesson as successful as possible. You are then provided with immediate feedback following the class and it is always constructive and useful, giving you a goal for the next time you teach.

I taught in the U.S. for more than ten years and came into the TEFL course thinking I could just breeze through it - that wasn't the case. I say that so potential students are aware that you have to work really hard, but if you're willing to do so and want to learn from the best, then International TEFL Academy is the choice for you.

I wish that there hadn't been so many assignments but I understand that pretty much all TEFL programs involve as much work as this course does.
Molly

La Vida Española from an English Teachers' Eyes

Just over a year ago, I decided to teach English in Spain. Madrid, to be exact. Since that decision was made, life has been a whirlwind filled with exciting possibilities. I was sitting at my computer at work when I made the decision. I couldn't help but feel that there must be more out there for me, and that it was time for a change; a push outside of my comfort zone. It was then that I found the International TEFL Academy through a quick Google search, and submitted a contact form. Within an hour, I received a call from one of the Academy's Admission Advisers to talk about the TEFL certification programs that they offer. At this moment, my transition to English teacher and the most rewarding opportunity of my life began. Every one of the company's Adviser's have taught English abroad before, so they have first-hand experience to answer questions, eliminate doubt and fears, and to walk you through the process of enrolling in the course, all the way to resume assistance, and a plethora resources to actually finding a job in the country of your choice. I opted for the online course (there are also programs in a classroom setting), and it was PERFECT for me since I was currently working. I could complete the assignments and participate in class discussions at a time that was right for me, and the instructor was great; extremely responsive, enthusiastic, and knowledgeable. Upon completing the course, the Job Search Guidance team provided some excellent feedback on my resume to make me more marketable abroad, and they were readily available to answer any fears or questions that I had in the months and days prior to boarding a plane to the most amazing experience of my life. I am still in Spain, and still turn to the resources and information gained from the TEFL course, and on top of that, I have been able to make friends with others in my shoes through the Academy's Spain Facebook page! I highly recommend teaching English abroad to anyone considering it, and highly recommend working with the International TEFL Academy!

At some point during the TEFL course, you are required to a complete a Practicum to include teaching and shadowing an ESL teacher somewhere in your city. This was an excellent chance to gain some hands-on experience teaching English, however I think something that would really put International TEFL Academy in another league, would be to build a partnership with ESL schools across the country, and offer a classroom where those in the practicum portion of the course can shadow. There really wasn't much guidance and structure during this portion of the course. The flexibility was nice, but a little more direction would be very useful.
tigre2656

Helpful, but mostly you're on your own

Overall, though the International TEFL academy gave me advice and helpful information on schools and opportunities in Spain, almost all of the work was done by me. I found a way to apply for a visa because I had a boyfriend living in Spain, but otherwise most Americans simply have to stay illegally or find someone to sponsor them for a visa which is a long and difficult process, not to mention rare. However, if I ever need advice or assistance the TEFL Academy does what it can to provide me with information from past alumni that have traveled to Spain.
So far I've really enjoyed myself here-the nightlife is great! Drinks and finger food (called pinchos) are really cheap so you don't have to spend all you earn on going out. The food has a lot of garlic, bread and oil which does get a tad boring at times but if you're in a large city like Madrid you can find plenty of foreign food. I felt very safe-you have to be careful at night in the big cities but I found a shop to buy pepper spray and the Spanish community are very friendly and helpful in general. They don't speak a lot of English, however so you either have to be patient or have a little Spanish in your back pocket.
I would definitely do this again-it was hard to find work at first, especially in a crisis-ridden country like Spain but if you're persistent there is a lot of good paying english teaching jobs out there.
I didn't like my school so much-especially with children they expect you to teach them things that are unreasonable-you don't always see your kids very often and they only want to play games, so its hard to teach them advanced English, the most you can hope for is basic sentences. I've had great resources for teaching exams though, like the TOEFL and Cambridge books-they help a lot and keep the students focused. I wish I would've brought more books on English grammar because books are really expensive here, though. Maybe more clothes too, because those are really expensive as well-prepare to pay much more than you would in America. I wish someone would have told me how expensive things were so I would be prepared with an adequate wardrobe and possible more Spanish. I didn't really bring anything I didn't need-eveything has been put to good use.
My school didn't really prepare me to teach, more thew me in and expected I could swim-it was terrifying at first, but I got the handle of it though. My older students were very well behaved and loved to learn, as well as not being afraid to do some hard studying, but the young ones-horrible! No disciple-they were very used to getting what they wanted, it seems to me kids in Spain remain dependent on their parents longer than in America.
As much as I've had fun I don't think I want to keep teaching English-its an ok pastime but there's not much gratification, I will probably continue learning Spanish and study in Spain. Hope this helped!

Response from International TEFL Academy

Thanks for the comments.

You gave ITA a 70% though we provided you with excellent TEFL training, accurate and helpful advice to find jobs and you even mentioned that we are always available for future assistance.

It seems that you have scored ITA low as a result of you not liking your job that you chose and that you don't really like working with children.

It looks like you are giving ITA a big thumbs up and 100% score for what we do which is pre-enrollment advice, accredited and professional TEFL training, job assistance and advice and lifetime help.

You are giving a low score solely to your experience living and working in a school which really doesn't reflect on International TEFL Academy.

About International TEFL Academy

International TEFL Academy is passionate about two things:

1) Providing the highest quality TEFL certification classes.

2) Ensuring all of our graduates find professional, paid English teaching jobs abroad & have a wonderful experience overseas.

...