Teach English in Spain: Public Schools in Madrid and Murcia

group in spain in front of building outside
group in spain in front of building outside
girl teaching students
girl teaching students

Become an Auxiliar de Conversación, and experience the Spanish culture first-hand in Madrid and Murcia. ConversaSpain cooperates with public schools in Spain, to help the English department improve the language skills of their students and staff. Improve your teaching skills and transmit your culture to learners of English.

The relation with the schools and the placements are fully managed by the local government. ConversaSpain provides participants with support moving to Spain, initial training, and advice on every day practical non-school-related matters.

The conditions are:

• 15-16 teaching hours per week
• 4 consecutive teaching days
•€875- €1,000 monthly stipend
• Mostly rural and pueblo locations, but also in the city
• Program length: October to the end of May/June

Apply ASAP

• Job placement ensured in a public school in Spain.
  • Yearlong paid teaching work experience.
  • 16 teaching hours per week (4 consecutive teaching days).
  • Pre-departure assistance (visa, bank account, etc.) and ongoing in country support.
  • Initial training and meeting with other participants.

Last Call! Teach English in Public Schools in Madrid

Immerse yourself in the Spanish culture and gain international experience teaching in schools in Madrid, Spain. English native speakers are welcome to apply for our paid yearlong positions. Practice Spanish in a safe environment with a structured program. There are limited positions available, and no age limit.

Hi, great question! Unfortunately we were unable to find the answer to your question. We recommend contacting the program provider directly, which you can do here: https://www.conversaspain.com/.

• Benefits 8.4
  • Facilities 7.4
Anna
No, I don't recommend this program

What does conversaspain actually do to help?

I am loving my experience teaching English in Spain. The schools are amazing, I teach primary at three local schools. I feel safe all the time, and the people are very kind and helpful.
However, I do have concerns about conversaspain’s role in organizing my teaching experience. I paid 1000Eu for their help and was told that I would receive assistance in my visa application and that conversaspain would provide my Spanish health insurance and a bank account. My experience so far has been that I had to apply for the visa entirely on my own. I am from Canada so whenever I asked questions about the process they would tell me to ask the Canadian consulate. It ended up taking months to get the visa and was very difficult to achieve with no aid.

When it came to the bank account I had to set it up entirely alone when I arrived in Spain even though they said it would be set up for me if I used their bank of choice- Sabadell.

As for the medical insurance- that is managed by the spanish education authorities. They not only give us our insurance but they also provide our monthly stipend and help to place us in our local schools.

So in the end I paid a lot of money to a company that did not help in the ways they promised and I could have saved a lot by just applying straight to the regional education authorities. This is something I wish I knew before I paid!!

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I’d I had to do this all over again I would probably not go through conversaspain. I would apply directly to the spanish education authorities and would save a lot of money. In the end I did all the hard work and paid conversaspain for doing absolutely nothing.
Response from ConversaSpain

Dear Anna,

On the one hand, we are very glad that you had a wonderful experience at the schools, as this is the ultimate goal we aim to achieve through this program. On the other hand, we feel sorry to hear that you consider the payment of this fee to be excessive for the services that we offer. As we mention is our informative documents, we work on a “help to help yourself” basis, providing links and information about consulates, step by step instructions in English as well as cheat-sheets to complete legal documents that are required to apply for visas and process other legal documents once you arrive in Spain. Unfortunately, we cannot apply for our participants’ administrative paperwork, as bureaucratic documents can only be issued to the applicant. Furthermore, we also have a full team working daily, delivering the best possible service and supporting all of our Auxiliares de Conversación, before and while they are in Spain, attending all their queries during the whole program, helping them to get medical assistance, pre-opening a bank account and sharing your concerns about schools’ placements with the Regional Education Authorities. We believe we have always replied to you in a timely manner to the best of our abilities, even contacting the Education Authorities to change your placement upon your request.
We thank you for your feedback and we hope that you continue enjoying your time in Spain while teaching English. Remember that if you have any other questions or concerns, we will be here to help during the whole duration of the program.

Jael

Amazing cultural immersion experience!

It was relatively easy to do this program!
You pay the fee and Conversaspain does the rest (setting up the job).
They are always there to help and support any problems you have. I recommend this program for the stability and help!

You will need to get your visa, flights, housing, and health insurance. They will help you every step of the way.
You can decide between Madrid and Murcia. I recommend Murcia if you want a more chill place near beaches with good food. If you want the busy city life with other great experiences choose Madrid.

Don't expect your school location to be in the city center of either city. Madrid and Murcia refer to regions so they make up various zones within the region. You might get lucky though although it isn't much of a bother if you don't because public transportation is very convenient.

I would make it cheaper. The cost is about 1000 euros just for support and placement. I would lower that price substantially, given the option to do this opportunity for free through the Spanish government (although it is more competitive).
Inger

Live abroad easily with ConversaSpain

ConversaSpain made moving to Spain so easy. It can seem daunting to move to a foreign country when you don't know how anything works, but ConversaSpain was a huge help. They walk you through everything you need in order to start your job as a language assistant, and they were always there to help me with any questions I had. After you're accepted into the program, you are required to send in/complete certain documents before you arrive in Spain. Once you arrive, ConversaSpain holds an induction meeting with the other assistants as well. This meeting was super helpful because it cleared up any additional questions you have and gave you a better idea of what the job would entail. It was great to meet other people, too! It was a smart and comforting choice to work with them!

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
I ate pork cheek in northern Spain, it was great!
Danielle

Great way to spend a year abroad

This year has been great. The programme is really enjoyable and has been a good experience sharing my language and culture with the students. Working with ConversaSpain has been good as they are supportive which has made me feel more comfortable and confident during my stay here. I have been staying in the region of Murcia which has been great. The city has many students my age, it has a low cost of living, and is very beautiful. The region in general has good beaches and plenty of places to go on hikes or places to visit if you like history or architecture. The programme gives you enough time to visit other cities on the weekend which I have really enjoyed. Last but not least, although the accent can seem quite strong in this region, the programme has given me a great chance to practice the language.

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
Probably paparajotes. They were sweet battered lemon leaves.
Fahd

My experience in Spain

I'm from South Africa, and coming to Spain was an amazing experience. My favourite aspect of Spain is the food here! In my opinion, it is the best! The Spanish people are actually very warm and welcoming. Quite a good number of them understand a bit of English. I have really enjoyed teaching English to the children at my school in Molina de Segura. I studied electrical engineering at university, but I feel like I also have a passion for teaching - something I discovered in my journey as a language assistant. I think I will do this program for two more times!! I have a good relationship with my fellow teachers of my school. It is also important to know that not everyone will "like" you and it's OK! You just have to be nice and warm to everyone. I feel very safe walking here in Murcia at any time of the day. The transport system is good. Buses are the most popular means of public transport and they are usually on time.

The date I get paid. I always get my stipend a few days (usually 4 to 6 days) after the end of the month. If they payment could come on time that would be great.
Read my full story
Hendrik

Teach English in Spain: Public Schools in Madrid and Murcia

I came to Madrid in January 2018 to work in a public school as an auxiliar. My experience has been wonderful so far.

The work is very interesting and not difficult, if you like working with kids you will definitely enjoy this program. I was able to learn a lot and more importantly to teach a lot to the kids. The other teachers and staff at my school are very friendly and welcoming.

Living in Madrid is an absolute pleasure. The city has a lot of things to see, do and experience. The travel opportunities from Madrid are abundant and it was an amazing experience to travel around the Iberian peninsula.

I explored the North of Spain last summer when I did the Camino de Santiago and this was definitely a life changing experience.

This program has made it possible to me to come live in Spain knowing that I have a source of income and a support system.

What was your funniest moment?
Finally understanding the kids comments in Spanish...
Hendrik

Teaching and learning in Spain

What was your funniest moment?
Finally understanding the kids comments in Spanish...
Alyssa

Hands on learning experience

Teaching in public schools with ConversaSpain was more valuable than I could ever imagine. Having a teacher with you in the classroom at all times gives you the extra confidence to connect with the kids because you don't have to worry about the whole entire curriculum.
I taught English & Social Sciences to primary students and I was learning new things every day. Whether it was about the English language, basic rules that a lot of native speakers don't have to think twice about, or relearning very basic science units that are still really interesting but I had forgotten about over the years.
I developed my own teaching style thanks to many great examples of the teachers at the school.
I couldn't recommend this program more for anyone interested in teaching abroad, children, or getting out of their comfort zone.

To really recommend coming a few weeks earlier to prepare accommodation and get acquainted with the city you're moving to.
Read my full story