Teach English in Spain with CIEE

Chueca
Relaxing at Templo de Debod
Relaxing at Templo de Debod
Hala Madrid!
Bring joy and learning to classrooms of children!
Bring joy and learning to classrooms of children!

The CIEE Teach in Spain program offers the flexibility for you to teach English for 10 months as a Language and Culture Assistant at a public school in the region of Madrid.

You'll spend 16 hours a week supporting local teachers in the classroom and work only four days a week. This will give you plenty of free time to travel, study Spanish, volunteer, or give private English lessons. Our teaching placements are offered throughout the region of Madrid, giving you the diversity of cities and small towns and offering an immersive and local experience!

CIEE will be there to support you every step of the way. In addition to arranging a job for you in Spain, you will receive a high level of pre-departure support including visa application guidance, an online pre-departure course, and international travel and emergency medical insurance. Our 24/7 support and in-country orientation will ensure that you are prepared and connected throughout your entire program.

Discover CIEE’s 150-hour TEFL certification course. This course offers an interactive and immersive experience into teaching English as a foreign language that will fully prepare you to teach abroad, at home, or online.

• Monthly Stipend: 1000 Euros; temporary accommodations during arrival and orientation
  • Placement as a Language and Culture Assistant in the region of Madrid
  • Four days of orientation in Madrid with topics including housing, banking, residency, health & safety, and more
  • Optional: 2-4 week homestay with a local Spanish family - breakfast and dinner included
  • Optional: 2-4 weeks of language immersion courses

It’s definitely possible to live off 1000€/month! It’s actually way easier than I thought it would be. I live outside the city center and only pay 360€ a month including utilities and WiFi, but even if you’re in the city center, I think you can find a place for a reasonable price. Groceries and restaurants are way cheaper here than in the states, so cost of living in general is lower, I’d say...

CELTA—administered by Cambridge Univ and respected worldwide. Must face students in classrooms and be evaluated by peers. The others? Can obtain online without ever meeting a student. Who would you hire?

Hi, Clark! We have programs in many countries, take a look at our website to compare programs: https://www.ciee.org/go-abroad/work/teach-english-abroad/pr…. You can reach out to our country coordinators using the 'contact us' tab at the top. Please feel free to reach out to us at teach@ciee.org. Looking forward to working with you! Teach Team

For our Fall 2020 departure the deadline is March 1st. It usually takes us about 2-3 weeks to review applications so once you are accepted and pay your deposit you can begin your TEFL course. The TEFL course takes approximately 4 months to complete. You will depart between early August and September, depending on the program you select. So from the time that you apply to the time that you depart...

• Benefits 8.3
  • Facilities 8.2
Madison
No, I don't recommend this program

CIEE abandoned us during the Coronavirus

Different programs offer different levels of support during your time abroad. One of CIEE's biggest selling points is that they offer you continued support during your time abroad in case anything comes up. For a little while during the Coronavirus outbreak CIEE was offering us support and updated information, but then they decided that they were going to shut down their operation suddenly in many countries. Almost all of the 'continued support' that they had to offer us came from email updates. The rest of Spain is working from home, so I do not understand why they couldn't do the same in order to keep us informed. I was already a bit dissapointed with what I got out of the program given the price, and now I want to warn other people of what might happen to them. This is the nightmare scenario of moving abroad, and one of the main reasons to use a program, and CIEE abandoned us. STAY AWAY FROM THEM.

That they would uphold their contract and not abandon us in a time of chaos.
Stephanie

An experience I will never forget!

My transition to Madrid was nothing but easy and carefree due to the helpful and constant support I felt from the CIEE staff. Their pre-departure guides were available for step by step instruction which made the process stress free. Once arriving to Madrid, the orientation taught me what I needed to know about living in this new city, my job, and allowed me to meet new friends! I always felt I could ask for help if needed! Overall, teaching English to students has been such a fun and rewarding experience that I would recommend for anyone wanting to grow and discover new places!

Allie

Unforgettable Experience

As a professional educator I was apprehensive about teaching abroad because I assumed everyone participating in the program would be fresh out of college. Although many are, there are still plenty of other link-minded adults moving abroad. This was a perfect way to refresh my passion for teaching and gain new skills and experiences to bring back to my classroom. CIEE made the transition so easy providing all the necessary information to make the move as simple as possible! Working only 16 hours a week and having three day weekends to travel has made it the most enjoyable year of my working adult life so far.

Ensuring participants understand how much money they should save up before making the move is my only recommendation. Although you don’t need much to transition into Madrid living, if you want to travel or have debt back home, it is essential to be aware of how much money is needed.
Katherine

Teach in Spain is exceptional!

CIEE has provided me with the best possible teaching experience that I could possibly ask for! My school is wonderful and I know that if I need anything CIEE will be there to help me in a second! Throughout the whole process of applying to landing in Madrid I have been completely at ease and this is only because of CIEE. Moving to another country is a difficult choice and there is no one else I would trust to help me with this adventure than the incredible crew at CIEE! Thank you for changing my life!

The only thing I would change is to be able to stay longer than 3 years!
Jessenia

Amazing experience, do it if you can!

I came I to this program knowing some college friends would be around therefore I was furthermore excited for this opportunity. This program provides so many experiences inside and outside the classroom. I worked with Infantil and it's so rewarding. At first the kids would just stare at me in confusion, but after a couple weeks I am proud to say that they are learning the songs and repeating them. Songs such as the itsy bitsy spider, the wheels on the bus, head shoulders knees and toes etc. I would work with the age group again!

Have fun. If you're creating lesson plans, put yourself in their shoes and think "what would I like to do at their age?". The kids are so energetic and each day is different.
Kathryn

Madrid

It was a very helpful experience and the support was what I needed moving to a new country. CIEE was helpful in the starting process and leading me in the right direction. As the school year is moving forward, CIEE is still there to help and offer support, but they do so from the side. They really make it an experience for you and to only offer their support when you need it. It is very reassuring knowing that CIEE is there to help when it is needed. It has been a great experience overall and I am learning a lot as I move forward each day.

The only thing that I needed more guidance on was looking for a place to stay during the year. They offer some support but really leave it to you for your decision.
Madison

Best Decision I Have Ever Made

I arrived in Madrid exactly two months ago and have loved every minute of my experience through CIEE. I feel incredibly grateful towards CIEE and all of the support the program has offered; I definitely wouldn't have wanted to begin my career teaching abroad any other way.

CIEE has been helpful from the beginning. The support team is incredibly friendly, and they responded to all of my emails very quickly with genuinely helpful responses. Having to apply for my visa felt extremely daunting and confusing, and CIEE's guidance throughout that process was invaluable.

Their various checklists, being added into a CIEE Facebook group, and the consistent email updates helped me feel assured in my decision to teach abroad and allowed me to communicate with fellow auxiliars before I even got to Madrid.

Once you arrive in Spain, there is a several day orientation, and I could not be more thankful for those few days. I learned so much about Spain, life as an auxiliar in Spain, and so much more. I also met my roommate and a great group of friends during these days. During the orientation, I attended a flamenco show—it was super fun—with my orientation leader and group, and she showed us around the city a little bit. I thought it was cool that CIEE made an effort to introduce us to some of the culture of Spain from the very beginning.

CIEE has also sent an email each month with information about upcoming festivals and events; it's been a very nice way to find out more about what's going on around the city.

I would definitely recommend teaching abroad through CIEE. Without this program, I wouldn't have met the friends that I have now or have felt as comfortable stepping into my role as an auxiliar. Meeting and hearing from auxiliars that didn't go through CIEE has only reinforced how glad I am that I signed up for the program.

Every person I have met that works for CIEE has been very friendly and ready to answer any questions or address any concerns. I am really grateful that I discovered CIEE and am excited to see what is to come in my remaining time as an auxiliar!

Derinn

Definitely recommend CIEE Teach in Spain

This program is awesome! I had never been abroad before, but I felt very prepared by CIEE for my adventure abroad. They guide you through everything from getting your visa to what to bring with you! They also offer a TEFL certification course online, which I highly recommend if you’re looking to get certified.
They are also extremely helpful once you are here in Spain. They have an orientation that helps you get settled and set up your life in Madrid, including looking for housing, getting a phone plan, and getting all your documentation ready for your time here. They even make the appointment to get your ID card, which saves a lot of time and effort. They also tell you all about how to get around and the different options you have for public transportation.
The compensation for teaching is enough to get you through if you budget carefully, and you still have plenty of time to travel and see other parts of Spain and/or Europe. Plus, there’s a ton to do in Madrid itself! I am having a wonderful experience, and CIEE staff here in Madrid is always available to help with any questions or concerns I have.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
If I did this again, I would definitely be more on top of my visa documentation and appointment. I waited too long and ended up scrambling at the last minute, so I would definitely listen to the advice CIEE gives you in order to have everything in order in a timely fashion.