Teach English in Spain with CIEE

Relaxing at Templo de Debod
Hala Madrid!
Teach in Spain with CIEE
Teach in Spain with CIEE

The CIEE Teach in Spain program offers the flexibility for you to teach English for 10 months as a Language and Culture Assistant at a public school in the region of Madrid.

You'll spend 16 hours a week supporting local teachers in the classroom and work only four days a week. This will give you plenty of free time to travel, study Spanish, volunteer, or give private English lessons. Our teaching placements are offered throughout the region of Madrid, giving you the diversity of cities and small towns and offering an immersive and local experience!

CIEE will be there to support you every step of the way. In addition to arranging a job for you in Spain, you will receive a high level of pre-departure support including visa application guidance, an online pre-departure course, and international travel and emergency medical insurance. Our 24/7 support and in-country orientation will ensure that you are prepared and connected throughout your entire program.

• Monthly Stipend: 1000 Euros; temporary accommodations during arrival and orientation
  • Placement as a Language and Culture Assistant in the region of Madrid
  • Four days of orientation in Madrid with topics including housing, banking, residency, health & safety, and more
  • Optional: 2-4 week homestay with a local Spanish family - breakfast and dinner included
  • Optional: 2-4 weeks of language immersion courses

For our Fall 2020 departure the deadline is March 1st. It usually takes us about 2-3 weeks to review applications so once you are accepted and pay your deposit you can begin your TEFL course. The TEFL course takes approximately 4 months to complete. You will depart between early August and September, depending on the program you select. So from the time that you apply to the time that you depart...

Because we work through the North American Language and Culture Assistant initiative with the Ministry of Education in Madrid, only citizens of Canada and the United States are eligible for our Teach in Spain programs.

Finding housing was pretty easy. There was a lot of anxiety when I initially started the process, but once I got started it was no big deal. I think I looked at 4 or 5 places and once I picked a place I got the keys that day. It was also nice because landlords let you pick how long you want your contract to last, so you don't have to sign for a year if you aren't staying quite that long.

Yes, it is enough money to get by. Although, if you want to travel, I recommend doing some tutoring lessons. Since you only work 16 hours a week, picking up 4 to 5 extra hours isn't a big deal-also a great way to meet locals. I made an extra 400-500 Euros a month this way.

• Benefits 8.4
  • Facilities 8.3
Stephanie

An experience I will never forget!

My transition to Madrid was nothing but easy and carefree due to the helpful and constant support I felt from the CIEE staff. Their pre-departure guides were available for step by step instruction which made the process stress free. Once arriving to Madrid, the orientation taught me what I needed to know about living in this new city, my job, and allowed me to meet new friends! I always felt I could ask for help if needed! Overall, teaching English to students has been such a fun and rewarding experience that I would recommend for anyone wanting to grow and discover new places!

Allie

Unforgettable Experience

As a professional educator I was apprehensive about teaching abroad because I assumed everyone participating in the program would be fresh out of college. Although many are, there are still plenty of other link-minded adults moving abroad. This was a perfect way to refresh my passion for teaching and gain new skills and experiences to bring back to my classroom. CIEE made the transition so easy providing all the necessary information to make the move as simple as possible! Working only 16 hours a week and having three day weekends to travel has made it the most enjoyable year of my working adult life so far.

Ensuring participants understand how much money they should save up before making the move is my only recommendation. Although you don’t need much to transition into Madrid living, if you want to travel or have debt back home, it is essential to be aware of how much money is needed.
Katherine

Teach in Spain is exceptional!

CIEE has provided me with the best possible teaching experience that I could possibly ask for! My school is wonderful and I know that if I need anything CIEE will be there to help me in a second! Throughout the whole process of applying to landing in Madrid I have been completely at ease and this is only because of CIEE. Moving to another country is a difficult choice and there is no one else I would trust to help me with this adventure than the incredible crew at CIEE! Thank you for changing my life!

The only thing I would change is to be able to stay longer than 3 years!
Jessenia

Amazing experience, do it if you can!

I came I to this program knowing some college friends would be around therefore I was furthermore excited for this opportunity. This program provides so many experiences inside and outside the classroom. I worked with Infantil and it's so rewarding. At first the kids would just stare at me in confusion, but after a couple weeks I am proud to say that they are learning the songs and repeating them. Songs such as the itsy bitsy spider, the wheels on the bus, head shoulders knees and toes etc. I would work with the age group again!

Have fun. If you're creating lesson plans, put yourself in their shoes and think "what would I like to do at their age?". The kids are so energetic and each day is different.
Kathryn

Madrid

It was a very helpful experience and the support was what I needed moving to a new country. CIEE was helpful in the starting process and leading me in the right direction. As the school year is moving forward, CIEE is still there to help and offer support, but they do so from the side. They really make it an experience for you and to only offer their support when you need it. It is very reassuring knowing that CIEE is there to help when it is needed. It has been a great experience overall and I am learning a lot as I move forward each day.

The only thing that I needed more guidance on was looking for a place to stay during the year. They offer some support but really leave it to you for your decision.
Madison

Best Decision I Have Ever Made

I arrived in Madrid exactly two months ago and have loved every minute of my experience through CIEE. I feel incredibly grateful towards CIEE and all of the support the program has offered; I definitely wouldn't have wanted to begin my career teaching abroad any other way.

CIEE has been helpful from the beginning. The support team is incredibly friendly, and they responded to all of my emails very quickly with genuinely helpful responses. Having to apply for my visa felt extremely daunting and confusing, and CIEE's guidance throughout that process was invaluable.

Their various checklists, being added into a CIEE Facebook group, and the consistent email updates helped me feel assured in my decision to teach abroad and allowed me to communicate with fellow auxiliars before I even got to Madrid.

Once you arrive in Spain, there is a several day orientation, and I could not be more thankful for those few days. I learned so much about Spain, life as an auxiliar in Spain, and so much more. I also met my roommate and a great group of friends during these days. During the orientation, I attended a flamenco show—it was super fun—with my orientation leader and group, and she showed us around the city a little bit. I thought it was cool that CIEE made an effort to introduce us to some of the culture of Spain from the very beginning.

CIEE has also sent an email each month with information about upcoming festivals and events; it's been a very nice way to find out more about what's going on around the city.

I would definitely recommend teaching abroad through CIEE. Without this program, I wouldn't have met the friends that I have now or have felt as comfortable stepping into my role as an auxiliar. Meeting and hearing from auxiliars that didn't go through CIEE has only reinforced how glad I am that I signed up for the program.

Every person I have met that works for CIEE has been very friendly and ready to answer any questions or address any concerns. I am really grateful that I discovered CIEE and am excited to see what is to come in my remaining time as an auxiliar!

Derinn

Definitely recommend CIEE Teach in Spain

This program is awesome! I had never been abroad before, but I felt very prepared by CIEE for my adventure abroad. They guide you through everything from getting your visa to what to bring with you! They also offer a TEFL certification course online, which I highly recommend if you’re looking to get certified.
They are also extremely helpful once you are here in Spain. They have an orientation that helps you get settled and set up your life in Madrid, including looking for housing, getting a phone plan, and getting all your documentation ready for your time here. They even make the appointment to get your ID card, which saves a lot of time and effort. They also tell you all about how to get around and the different options you have for public transportation.
The compensation for teaching is enough to get you through if you budget carefully, and you still have plenty of time to travel and see other parts of Spain and/or Europe. Plus, there’s a ton to do in Madrid itself! I am having a wonderful experience, and CIEE staff here in Madrid is always available to help with any questions or concerns I have.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
If I did this again, I would definitely be more on top of my visa documentation and appointment. I waited too long and ended up scrambling at the last minute, so I would definitely listen to the advice CIEE gives you in order to have everything in order in a timely fashion.
Sofia

Teach in Spain Madrid 2019-2020

I am definitely glad that I signed up to participate in Teach in Spain this year. The CIEE staff was extremely helpful in preparing us to come to Spain, taking us step-by-step through the visa application process, etc. It is good to know that they are available to answer my questions and help as needed. One of the difficult things about this program is that there is no housing assistance. The hardest part about moving to Spain was finding housing, but it's not impossible. Fortunately, I was placed at a school that I really like and I am enjoying my experience as a language assistant so far. My compensation is sufficient to cover the general costs of living in Madrid. The only thing I would change about my experience so far is the orientation. I had already found housing when orientation began and so I did not stay in the hotel that was provided by CIEE and I wish I could have gotten compensated. The price of the program is a bit steep considering, but I don't regret my decision.

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
The most nerve-racking moment was my first day working at my new school, but I used my Spanish skills to introduce myself to the other teachers during the coffee break and soon began to built friendships with them.
Catherine

Great Option

CIEE was very helpful and responsive during the past year as my husband and I applied for the program, obtained Visas, and made the transition to Spain. I would highly recommend going with this program because of their help with all of the documentation to go abroad. I don’t think I could have done this without them. They made the process seamless and I was always able to talk to someone in the US for help. The orientation in Madrid was good, but I would have really appreciated more direction with housing. It was a very big task that was challenging and expensive for people who had to stay in an Airbnb/hotel between orientation and moving into an apartment. I know that they can’t help that much with this, but just having more housing workshops would have been helpful! Overall, this is a great program and I would choose it again.

Benjamin

Resources

Teaching in Spain comes with it's difficulties. It is worth the peace of mind that is brought by using this resource. You have a staff that is accommodating to any and all questions, concerns, or doubts you may have before or during your time in Spain. They provide step-by-step guides for basically any important meeting with in terms of residency, documentation, anything, in order to make sure you can fly through the process. The on-site group is an amazing group of individuals who are more than just a helping hand. Finding a job can be difficult but CIEE guarantees you a position at a school within your preferred city. There are usually many people who do this program, so you get the chance to meet the other auxiliaries at an orientation which is a great chance to meet people.

Julia

Teach in spain

Many pros and cons to teaching in Spain, but Ciee did make some things easier. They set up visa appointments, helped set up bank appointments, provided travel insurance and the have hotlines. The orientation allowed me to meet many other teaching assistants and did provide some useful information. I do wish they cut some of it down though. There was little to no help with housing. It is important to keep in mind that ciee is not in control of everything, so they cannot ensure that everything goes smoothly. I do feel pretty on my own sometimes. Yet they did secure me a job, which was harder to do on my own. Most people are up in the air of where they will be placed. As for living in Madrid, it is s great city with lots to do. Ciee also provides a social network which is a comfort.

Hannah

Incredible experience!!

I have loved my time teaching abroad in Madrid. The school is so great and all my fellow teachers are so supportive and genuinely thrilled to have auxiliares helping with the English portion of the studies. I have felt so welcomed and accepted at work, and the city is incredible as well. If you want to have a year (or more!) of adventure abroad while also making *some* money (but it will most likely be spent on travel and tapas—you won’t complain though) then I’d definitely consider a year abroad with CIEE. They help with all the planning and logistics, which made moving across the world much easier than I could have imagined. Also if you feel you need a bit of a confidence boost when it comes to teaching qualifications, they offer a great TEFL program that prepares you for working abroad and teaching English.

It can be daunting to find an apartment and getting settled if you’re in the last orientation (like I was) so providing a bit more time and support for the initial process of moving to Spain.
Stephanie

CIEE Teach in Spain

I was very happy that I chose to do this program. I absolutely loved my school and loved my bilingual coordinator. I wouldn’t trade my time in Priego for anything. At times it was definitely very difficult and lonely, but getting into a routine and learning the language more and more made it much easier. Also, it was super important to branch out and make new friends (local and american). I do think that CIEE should do a better job with language assistance as the cost of the program is quite large and there is an option to do the same program through the government for free. I’m not sure which program I would do if I were to do it again because the other Americans did have such a positive experience doing their program through the government.

I think a little more guidance would’ve been beneficial. Also maybe some more cultural opportunities that were promoted, or even language lessons.
Brian

A Users Guide to CIEE Madrid

Are you ADVENTUROUS—-AND PATIENT
Those will be tested in your classrooms. Are you able to read cues from students—so you can pivot from
materials/methods that are foundering? If you’re also HUMBLE—you’ll debrief with the Prof and separate ‘wheat from chaff’ for the next session.
The students will challenge you.
They will madden, yet embrace you for honest effort. Beware, however, of older students who will seek your favor—this is just another test you must overcome.
Madrid has a dizzying social scene—for all tastes. Unlike the US, public transport works well—reliable and generally punctual. Get a Bono card—you’ll save enough to surpass the hassle.
CIEE preps you to succeed. Those who are truly serious about the teaching profession will grow the most—and perhaps renew or repeat elsewhere.

Give participants a stronger weight in their placement preferences.
Roy

An experience I can't seem to forget nor get enough of.

I have traveled overseas many, many times, but my three months living and teaching in Spain through CIEE was by far the richest, most memorable experience I have ever had in a foreign country. The family I resided with (mother, father, two sons) was so very welcoming. And they included me in all their activities. I actually felt like a family member. I believe there is no better way to learn a language and a culture. Then there was the high school where I taught English. To a person, every staff member, teacher and student was cooperative, understanding and courteous. No one ever made fun of my faulty Spanish. And lastly, all CIEE staff were unbelievably kind and supportive, from the time I applied to my arrival in Spain to my three month stay. There was always someone on call should I encounter a problem of any kind--which I never did! I would return to Spain via CIEE in a heartbeat (and I will!) Gracias a todos!

Nada. Nothing. Everything on my end and theirs worked out so well.