Teach English in Spain with CIEE

Teach English in Spain with CIEE

Win a $500 flight voucher!

Teaching abroad and traveling go hand-in-hand – so we’re offering one lucky winner a $500 flight voucher to use while on program to explore and see the world.

Get paid to work as an English Language Assistant at a primary or secondary public school in the Region of Madrid or the Region of Andalucia. The diversity of cities and small towns in these areas means you can set yourself up for an immersive local experience or a more urban, international expat scene. You will have plenty of free time to travel, study Spanish, volunteer, or give private English lessons!

From start to finish, CIEE will be there to support you throughout your experience teaching abroad. In addition to arranging a job for you in Spain, you will receive a high level of pre-departure support including an online course to help you prepare for your adventure in Spain. You'll get detailed guidance on the visa process and travel and emergency medical insurance. Our 24/7 support and in-country orientation will ensure that you are prepared and connected throughout your entire program with CIEE Teach Abroad.

A CIEE TEFL Certification will give you the tools you need to succeed at being a teacher starting on your first day. Learn more about CIEE’s TEFL Certification Courses.

Europe » Spain
Europe » Spain » Madrid
1 Year+
Salary / Benefits
Monthly Stipend: 1000 Euros (Madrid), or 700 Euros (Andalucia); temporary accommodations during arrival and orientation
Weekly Classroom Hours
Classroom Audience
Children
High School
Middle School
Andalucia

Because we work through the North American Language and Culture Assistant initiative with the Ministry of Education in Madrid, only citizens of Canada and the United States are eligible for our Teach in Spain programs.
Finding housing was pretty easy. There was a lot of anxiety when I initially started the process, but once I got started it was no big deal. I think I looked at 4 or 5 places and once I picked a place I got the keys that day. It was also nice because landlords let you pick how long you want your contract to last, so you don't have to sign for a year if you aren't staying quite that long.
Yes, it is enough money to get by. Although, if you want to travel, I recommend doing some tutoring lessons. Since you only work 16 hours a week, picking up 4 to 5 extra hours isn't a big deal-also a great way to meet locals. I made an extra 400-500 Euros a month this way.

• Benefits
  • Facilities
Show 1 - 15 of 22
Trevor

Cannot recommend enough...seriously

To be fair, Madrid in and of itself is enough to ensure that almost any long-term stay will be rewarding. That being said, CIEE took care of so much of the nitty gritty stuff that can normally impede people from taking the plunge into this kind of an international adventure. By the time I arrived they had already helped me with understanding the visa process inside and out, as well as provide cultural and teaching guides. The staff -- especially during the critical first weeks of acclimation -- go above and beyond to make sure that everyone feels comfortable with adjusting to a new country, and they make the otherwise dreadful task of completing your immigration paperwork easy and seamless. They also had a lot of activities throughout the year that connect you with other teachers and staff. In short -- I would recommend this program to anyone and everyone. If you have lots of travel experience: you'll appreciate that they take care of the annoying tasks that come with moving so you can begin to immerse yourself in the country's culture and history. If you're a novice traveler: you'll get the kind of guidance and support than not only answers questions, but is intended to empower you to focus on your primary objective of relishing in a beautiful exchange of cultures! Sorry if this seems overly romantic. I just had a damn good time...

Ansley

Spain and CIEE are AMAZING!

I've loved moving to Spain. It's a challenge and a gift, and you have to be ready for some surprises. For example, my placement changed unexpectedly before I moved, and I was SO nervous to live inside the city of Madrid! But now I'm settled in a flat in the oldest part of the city, and can walk to art museums, cathedrals, Christmas markets, and the ballet. If you want to shake up your life and learn a new language, this is both a fun and practical way to do it!

Basic info: Auxiliares assist an english teacher in a bilingual school for 16 working hours a week. That includes tutoring groups of kids, conducting their weekly oral exams, or preparing information about America to spark their interest. I work from 9-2 MTW, with a 30 minute break, and 9-12 on Thursday. The cost of living is lower than in many US cities, so you can cover expenses (rent, food, doctor, going out to eat, metro pass, bills), plus some travel with the monthly stipend of E1000.

Thoughts on CIEE: On the front end, it is more expensive to apply via CIEE, but the insights and assistance are worth the cost. Months before the move, Maxine, and later Samantha, were there to field my (numerous) questions about everything from applying for a visa, to school placements, to the delays caused by the 2017 hurricanes. They also have an in-country course that provides details on housing, managing finances, the metro system, banking, getting a permanent residency, health care, cultural differences and on and on. An in-country staff is also available by email or office hours to help with difficult questions or in case of emergency. Big thanks to CIEE for all their help!!

I would have liked more information about groups and clubs in Madrid, as it can be hard to meet other Spaniards at first.

Brendan

The most amazing start to the most amazing life

A year ago I was just about to leave for Spain with CIEE, and little did I know it would change my life. They eased me into everything, which I thought was going to be a joke because I had already studied abroad in Salamanca three years prior. Thankfully they were there to thoroughly explain and guide me through things, and thank goodness I went to those orientations. I ended up make a friend base as well from CIEE. I ended up meeting someone that I'm head over heels for and I'm currently living with them (empadronado which CIEE explained as well). I'm continuing a second year at the same elementary school, and I'm going to be an orientation leader this year for CIEE. They are always trying to improve year by year and I'm so excited that they are letting me become a part of their team!

Jose

Great Opportunity, make of it what you will.

My name is Jose Colchado and I am a retired public school teacher, and university professor and administrator. I have over thirty years of education related experience and have taught at every grade level from kindergarten to post graduate.

Even through I am retired I have continued to be involved in teaching; as a substitute teacher, GED instructor, and conducting workshops.

I applied for the CIEE Teaching in Spain for two reasons; CIEE was the most responsive to my questions and provided guidance at all steps of the application process and I wanted a program in Spain where I could learn more about the country which had such a great influence on Mexico, my parents' home country. The application process can be difficult and will cost you money. For example, I had to go to California for the consulate "interview" which turned out to be just handing over my application papers. Once you get to Spain CIEE provides the support you need to finalize additional paperwork, assist with housing hunts and arranging for low cost daily transportation.

I asked to work with first and second graders and was assigned to the Colegio de San Blas in Ajalvir a suburb of Madrid ( a 30 minute train ride from Madrid ). I live in Torrejon de Ardoz a 15 minute bus ride from Ajalvir. I am glad I live and work in the suburbs. No long daily commute and still close enough to everything. I was surprised by two things at my school; the noise level and , what was to me, a lack of discipline, that takes away from instruction, and how little effort was made to make me feel welcome and part of the school ( it could have been me!). Because I am not the teacher "in charge" I get to teach without the responsibility for grading or other paperwork. The kids are great, just like first and second graders everywhere, eager to learn and willing to do whatever you ask them. I am able to incorporate movement and art in active learning to support the teaching by the teacher.

Teaching four days a week gives me plenty of time to travel, During four day weekends I have been to Valencia, Toledo, Cadiz, Austurias, Guadalajara, Seville and during holidays I went to Prague, Budapest, Vienna, Lisbon and I plan to go to Brussells and nearby cities and the Canary Islands. Bus, train and air travel is very inexpensive if you buy your tickets early. Housing during your travels can be cheap if all you need is a bed and a bath. In most cities, once you get to the city center, you can walk to most of the sites worth seeing. What an opportunity to travel throughout Europe!

Even though I have my own apartment, I live frugally and with my stipend I am able to meet my living expenses and have some money for travel ( I do supplement my travel with a small part of my retirement income).

There is so much to see and do. So much to learn. It all depends on what your priorities are and how you choose to spend your time and money!

During the application process, applicants should be made aware that there are business that expedite things like the FBI report and apostille process . I am sure that program people are well aware of the problems people run into in the application process and ways to deal with these should be readily available to the applicants.
The host schools and teachers should be given guidelines on how to orient the the people assigned to their school: assign a teacher to be a "buddy" to help with whatever issues may arise and to make sure those assigned there are "included" in everyday activities like the discussions at break time; assist host teachers to know how to best use the knowledge and skills of the assigned assistants; the role and responsibility of the assistants to maintaining discipline in the classroom ( I found I did not understand what teachers would or would not tolerate in behavior) and making assistants aware of what they are expected to "teach" at least a week before.

Rebekah

Teaching in Spain with CIEE

I love CIEE. I have studied abroad and now taught abroad twice through their organization. One of the main reasons I chose to teach abroad through CIEE was that they provide a very easy way to apply and give a lot of help and support through the whole process. I have always found the staff to be very friendly and helpful and would highly recommend CIEE to anyone who is interested in studying or teaching abroad.

This program could be improved for the Teach in Spain Basic participants in the form of better information about the craziness of the apartment search in Madrid.

Andrea

CIEE Madrid Teach Abroad Program

I can truly say I have learned alot, met wonderful people and grew professionally, all while immersing myself in a new culture. The CIEE team makes this transition into a new country and job smooth and you feel supported the whole way. One of my favorite memories of this experience was the last dinner of the orientation. In this dinner a group of people randomly sat at a table together for dinner and became a true group of friends. That moment set the tone for the rest of my time here. I am so happy I took the chance and came abroad because it changed my life.

Carlen

Expensive program, but a great way to arrive for year(s) in Spain!

It's definitely an expensive program - you should know that it's completely possible to work in Madrid directly through the Spanish Ministry of Education (the actual people who hire you) without paying a thing. It's called the Auxiliars de Conversacion program. BUT, I am very glad I chose to come through CIEE. It was worth the pay for me. They guarantee placement in Madrid rather than other regions of Spain. They helped immensely with pre-depature VISA paperwork, including fixing a mini-emergency while I was at the consulate missing a form.

Their application process is reliable, easy to understand, and in English, plus they actually reply when you email them, unlike the Spanish government. Upon arrival, they had everything sorted for airport transfers and a place to stay, as well as bringing former participants to share tips and tricks, guide us through our first days, and take us to cool local events. Most importantly they provided all they could to get us legally settled - residency card appointments and paperwork, transit cards, bank account, cell phone plan, etc. All has worked perfectly.

The truth about this program in Spain (with CIEE or the Ministry) is that your experience can vary WILDLY depending on your school placement. You may get lucky, like I did, with a centrally located school full of nice teachers and hardworking kids and an amazing principal who takes us out for drinks and lets us change our schedule if we need to. Or, you may get unlucky and get placed 2 hours by bus outside the city with irritable bosses who never let you change an inconvenient schedule and kids who don't listen, like a friend of mine in the same program. Nothing that can't be handled, and nothing big enough to demand a change, just consistently mildly unpleasant.

So if you can afford it, it's worth it, your life will be SO much less complicated. I never felt nervous or anxious coming abroad thanks to CIEE.

It's really just quite expensive given it's possible to do the same thing for free. Just not as easy. You are paying for convenience.

Tim

Everything I've needed to make the move abroad

I've always wanted to come back to teach in Spain after having studied abroad here. CIEE offered a clear path to move here and they assisted me every step of the way. They went to great lengths to explain each step like securing a visa, getting a metro card, finding an apartment, and they even set up several in-country appointments for us so that we got off to the races after arriving in Spain. They have also offered fun events like free bike tours and other types of workshops that I have found to be fun. The staff are all very kind and knowledgeable, and I've enjoyed spending time with them. Definitely recommend CIEE's Teach in Spain program.

Dave

CIEE: A great representative and friend to have abroad

One year ago, I decided to make a bold life decision and go to Spain to teach abroad through the CIEE Teach in Spain program. Other than one semester in England as an undergrad, I had never done anything like this before. CIEE helped me through the arduous task of getting a Schengen visa, and helped me get settled in. Their orientation process was fun and informative, and throughout the year they had kept me informed of developments in the program and invited me to various dinners and meetings that they held. I made friends for life through the CIEE program. I also received my TEFL certification through CIEE as well. I stayed a second year in Spain, and continued with CIEE through their alumni ambassador program. I even contributed back by working as an orientation leader for the next generation of auxiliares.

CIEE was a great experience for me and I highly recommend it for anyone interested in traveling and teaching abroad. They prepared me very well for teaching English to students, living in Spain, and getting accustomed to Spanish culture.

Brandon

Adventure and Great Memories Await You with CIEE!!

Before I decided to embark on this journey with CIEE, I had already been abroad several times on my own and through my school. Thus, having a decent level of international exposure and experience with many international providers that cater to students and volunteers studying or working aboard, allows me to truly gauge this CIEE experience without any "first-timers" bias and "perfect-world" expectations.

Bottom line, CIEE is the best in the business of placing volunteers in teaching positions abroad. To make it plain, this company really stretches its arms and makes the effort to reach out to each individual volunteer that has signed up for its program. It is no secret that the greatest challenge that these types of programs face is being able to keep tabs on all of their signees. But CIEE has a cobra grip on this issue, and performs it with ease. Communication is actually this program's strongest asset. They don't just say in a tag-line on their website or send emails explaining how much they value their signees. They show it. I can appreciate a company that doesn't run like a "company" or a "system." This company makes sure that you have everything that you need, and holds an orientation that is beyond informative. They bring in providers that lend you their services throughout the duration of your stay aboard.

I couldn't be more pleased with this program, and if you are looking to channel your inner "Indiana Jones" or just go out and gain some life-changing international experience working with students of a different culture, choose CIEE. Don't pass up on this opportunity of a lifetime. I thank the Lord everyday that I didn't. I hope this helped!

During orientation there is day dedicated to informing volunteers on how to find housing. I believe this session should be given an additional day because people who are abroad for the first time need additional support in this area and additional day would serve well to these individuals.

Sarah

Teaching English in Madrid with CIEE!

I had the pleasure of teaching two years in Madrid through CIEE and wouldn't have had it any other way. Moving to a country where you don't know anyone, or speak the language can be an extremely nerve-wracking experience, but through the help of CIEE, this process couldn't have been better. The support I received, pre-departure, during orientation, and even throughout my first year made my decision to re-apply through them in my second year.
Although there are numerous programs one can use when applying to the auxiliar program, I truly felt like the assistance, support, and knowledge of the staff at CIEE is unparalleled. I enjoyed this program so much that I applied to be a Orientation leader both the summer of 2015 and 2016. It is such an incredible way to share experiences and advice with those who are in the same position as I was when I first came to Madrid. Being able to see both sides of this Teach Abroad program (applicant and staff) only reinforced my satisfaction with using CIEE to come abroad.

I think this program could be improved by offering events or meet-ups throughout the year. Although I made the effort to reconnect and check in with those I met during orientation, it would be nice to have a few facilitated opportunities to reflect with your orientation-mates and leaders.

Hannah

Traveling and Teaching

I've currently been living in Spain for two months now and I have loved every second of it. This is the farthest and longest I've been away from my family but it has allowed me to grow as a person, both professionally and personally. CIEE was a big help when it came to the paperwork. They helped walk me through the Visa process, how to find an apartment, getting an international cellphone, opening up a bank account, applying for a TIE, etc. Without their help, I'm sure I would've been really lost because the paperwork is very intimidating to say the least. They made sure that everything was filled out properly and a lot of times, they even made appointments for us which was one less thing we had to do. They placed us in our schools based upon our preferences which was extremely helpful. I am teaching in a secondary school and I know that if I were placed in a primary school, I would not be as happy. Some of my closest friends in Spain are some that I met during orientation. There's also a Facebook page that allows everyone to post for various events or trips so that we can all stay connected which is very helpful and nice as well.

I have zero complaints so far.

Sarah

Feedback of CIEE Teach in Spain (Regular) Program

I am currently teaching in Madrid, Spain with the CIEE Teach Abroad (regular) program. I would recommend CIEE for anyone looking to teach in Spain who seeks extra support and guidance with the somewhat difficult transition that comes with relocating your life abroad.
The online summer course and on-site orientation were especially helpful for me; I was given lots of useful information and was able to ask questions and get individual attention with the topics that were most concerning for me. I also enjoyed the opportunity to get to know other auxiliars so I could begin making connections and establishing friendships.
I did feel that the number of people in the program impacted CIEE's ability to provide enough assistance to each individual as might be required. There were about 200 of us, which was a huge increase from the previous year as I've been told, and it showed that CIEE was a bit overwhelmed when we all arrived on site. Things felt a bit chaotic and rushed.
If you do elect to teach in Spain through CIEE, expect help, support and guidance, but do not expect perfection and constant "hand-holding." There is a lot you will have to undertake and figure out on your own. CIEE will try to help you but they will not do it all for you.
Overall, I do not regret going through CIEE despite the high cost and inevitable obstacles. I have really appreciated all the services they have provided, and overall they have given me peace of mind through the most stressful moments which I consider to be priceless.
Best of luck to those of you considering teaching in Spain as your next adventure!

I would recruit more past auxiliars to assist with the in-country orientation process. The 200+ people in our group felt like too much for the orientation leaders. They tried to give us individual attention and support, but ultimately there were just too many people. Also, things felt very rushed during the orientation. There was a lot of information we needed to know in not a lot of time. Lastly, the process of finding our own housing for the year was practically a nightmare. It is not possible for a program to find apartments for every person in their program, nor should they be expected to. Part of moving abroad means overcoming difficult obstacles. However, I could have used more support and guidance during the house hunting process.

Cleo

Move abroad with CIEE!

I chose to teach abroad in Spain through CIEE's Four Week Immersion Program. This program is a combination of a Spanish homestay, Spanish classes, as well as your placement as a Language Assistant at a school in Madrid. CIEE made my experience moving abroad more enjoyable and certainly less stressful. They are the liaison between you and the Spanish government and they guide you through every process necessary to apply, move abroad and stay abroad. The support and encouragement from CIEE's staff has been both welcoming and consistent from the people I have been in contact with in the United States and in Spain. This is an excellent organization and would recommend CIEE to anyone looking to travel, work or study abroad.

Heather

Expensive Teach Abroad Program

As far as the program itself goes, I haven't had the best experience. They make it sound like they will assist you throughout the process, but I feel like what I really paid for was a few weeks in a hotel to meet friends and a couple of crash courses about legal stuff we had to do upon arrival which was super overwhelming.

Before I left I tried to get in touch with the office for over a week. I sent emails and left voicemails and I never heard back from them. I understand it is a busy time, but I felt like this was very unprofessional, especially since the information I was requesting was time sensitive for my visa application.

I basically figured everything out on my own and haven't heard from them expect to tell us about big news, which we all know about anyways. I don't think it was worth the money at all. You can do the exact same program through the government and it is 100% free. I just didn't know about it until after I was already here. I would suggest looking into that if you want to come teach here!

The actual job is great though! I work in a secondary school and I have enjoyed being with the kids a lot. I plan to be a teacher when I return to the US so I think the experience has been great for me. The placement of schools has little to do with CIEE though. I work with two other auxiliaries that came here through the government for free. They also really consider your wishes when they place you which is nice.

No, I don't recommend

CIEE offers paid teaching positions in Chile, China, Czech Republic, Dominican Republic, Morocco, South Korea, Spain, Thailand, and Vietnam, and volunteer programs in Spain, Portugal, and Senegal for university graduates looking to teach English...