• Spain
Classroom Audience
Early Childhood Elementary Middle School High School

Program Details

Qualifications
  • Bachelor's degree (in any field), native English speaker, citizenship in the U.S., Canada, Australia, Ireland, or New Zealand
Classroom Audience
Early Childhood Elementary Middle School High School
Weekly Classroom Hours

Pricing

Salary / Benefits
Monthly Stipend: 1000 Euros; temporary accommodations during arrival and orientation
Placement as a Language and Culture Assistant in the region of Madrid
Pre-departure assistance – including visa guidance
iNext international insurance with 24-hour emergency assistance
Ongoing support from CIEE staff in Madrid
Airport pickup and transportation to your orientation hotel on arrival day
Cultural activities during orientation, such as a flamenco show and sampling cuisine from different regions of Spain
Optional: 2-4 weeks of language immersion courses
Placement as a Language and Culture Assistant in the region of Madrid
Pre-departure assistance – including visa guidance
iNext international insurance with 24-hour emergency assistance
24/7 support from CIEE staff in Madrid
Airport pickup and transportation to your orientation hotel on arrival day
What's Included
Some Accommodation Some Activities Airport Transfers Some Meals Travel Insurance Wifi
What's Included (Extra)

Pre-departure assistance – including visa application guidance
Temporary accommodation and orientation with topics including housing, banking, residency, health & safety, and more
Option for Spanish language classes
Option for 2-4 week homestay
Cultural activities!

What's Not Included
Airfare SIM cards
Dec 13, 2021
Dec 14, 2021
102 travelers are looking at this program

The CIEE Teach in Spain program offers a guaranteed placement as a Language and Culture Assistant in the region of Madrid.

You'll spend 16 hours each week supporting local teachers and helping students practice conversational English. With three-day weekends you'll have plenty of free time to travel, study Spanish, or give private English lessons.

CIEE will be there to support you every step of the way. In addition to guaranteeing a placement in the region of Madrid, you'll receive pre-departure support including visa application guidance, and an online pre-departure course. After arrival, CIEE provides airport pick-up, orientation, cultural activities, and 24/7 support from CIEE staff in Madrid so you'll be set up for success!

This program is currently not being promoted on Go Overseas by its provider. Check with CIEE Teach Abroad & TEFL for the most up-to-date information regarding the status of this program.

Program Highlights

• Monthly Stipend: 1000 Euros; temporary accommodations after arrival
  • Placement as a Language and Culture Assistant in the region of Madrid
  • Orientation in Madrid with topics including housing, banking, residency, health & safety, and more
  • Optional: 2-4 week homestay with a local Spanish family - breakfast and dinner included
  • Optional: 2-4 weeks of Spanish language immersion courses

Current Teaching Jobs

View the latest teaching job postings by CIEE Teach Abroad & TEFL.

• 9-10 rating 69.07%
  • 7-8 rating 21.65%
  • 5-6 rating 6.19%
  • 1-2 rating 3.09%
  • Benefits 8.1
  • Facilities 8.2
Haley

Great program especially for first timers

I’m really glad I chose to teach abroad with CIEE. Not only is the staff super friendly, they’re also here to help every step of the way. I never had an issue or doubt when it came to being part of CIEE. They give no false expectations/promises of what they offer. On top of that, before even getting to Madrid I felt comfortable in knowing that I had already connected with people in the program. There are a ton of resources given to us which are at our disposal throughout the entirety of the program. The option to prioritize age or location for your school is pretty awesome, too. I highly recommend it, especially if this is your first time going abroad.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
This is not relevant to the program itself but if I were to do the visa process (done before departure) all over again I would absolutely start it earlier for peace of mind purposes. I received my visa 3 days before my flight to Madrid which probably could have been avoided had I made the appointment earlier. I say “probably” in the previous statement because if I learned anything so far it’s that nothing is promised and something can go awry really at any moment and that is part of the process of moving to another country. On the one hand, it’s easy to procrastinate and miss opportunities or not be prepared for them. On the other hand, sometimes we focus so much on being prepared that we miss life happening in the process and realize that it wasn’t actually very helpful in the end anyway. There has to be some kind of balance, in my opinion, and although there’s no specific answer to that, traveling is a great way to learn more about yourself and figure these things out.
Kami

🤩CIEE Review🤩

Everyone should have a chance to travel the world & CIEE makes that easily possible. They help walk you through all of the necessary requirements & documentations! Just read their advice and follow the steps! It’s work, obviously, but they provide you with all of the information. They offer a great online course & have an in-person orientation with small group activities once you arrive. They’re really helpful & make sure to assist you as best they can.
Teaching has become a new passion of mine & my students are the weirdest but best kids!! They are so fun to be around & I love sharing our cultures!
CIEE connects you with some pretty crazy & amazing new friends from all over the world! I recommend this program to all of my friends & literally everyone!

DO IT!!! What are you waiting for?? This is your sign to go for it! This experience is life changing and you won’t regret it.
Amy

Excellent program

CIEE is a great program. They made the visa process very easy. They connect with the AuxMadrid program in Spain which is excellent. I couldn't be more satisfied. You are a Language and Cultural Assistant in the community of Madrid. You will be placed at a school of your choosing for this program, either an elementary school or secondary school. I choose secondary and I am very happy because I teach middle schoolers and high schoolers. You always have a co-teacher, because you are only the assistant. You do not need to be in charge of grading or classroom management, what could be better than that!

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
The most surprising thing to me was how easy it is to get along with Spanish people. I learned Spanish in Latin America and thought the accent would be difficult for me, but it wasn't at all! Also, if you ask anyone for help they WILL go out of their way to help you! It's great living in Spain as Language Assistant.
a
No, I don't recommend this program

Waste of thousands of dollars

It is FREE to teach in spain when applying through the government. The only difference you will find when applying through CIEE is their advertised "comprehensive support" including health insurance and orientation programs. The health insurance only covers emergencies, so you have to pay entirely out of pocket to see any doctor in any other circumstance. It also does not cover ANY public medical facilities, so you have to see expensive private doctors who you must pay out of pocket and then simply hope the insurance company (itself owned by CIEE -- i.e. a racket) pays you back at some point. The "support" is almost exclusively email-based and all the information they provide is readily available online. The orientation information is also readily available for free. Basically, you're paying almost 3000 USD for a week in a hotel and an email address to which you can direct questions. Not worth it. None of the answers provide any information that you can't just google. The only redeeming quality, as far as I'm aware, is that the Spanish government will place you in any Spanish city while CIEE guarantees a place in the Community of Madrid (but not the center of Madrid). Unless you have never traveled overseas and will be completely overwhelmed by any bureaucratic or administrative processes, don't waste your money.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
Apply though the spanish government for free, or another organization with better support and services for the price.
Response from CIEE Teach Abroad & TEFL

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. The international insurance CIEE provides to participants is a reimbursement based plan but it gives participants the flexibility to choose their doctor and medical provider. In addition, it provides coverage in any country outside of the United States so participants can travel outside Spain with peace of mind. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to us if you have any questions or anything else you would like to discuss.

Anonymous

Sleezy Company, Not sure if they're actually NON PROFIT

So I paid the fee, I don't wanna repeat how much cause it just reminds me of what I lost. I came late because of Covid restrictions, and they literally didn't give me a single dollar for food, or hotel accommodation as promised. They didn't even recommend me a place to stay.

On top of that, I had to go to the emergency room for tonsilitis and their insurance policy has ignored me for 5 months about my reimbursement. I had an emergency and called the 24/7 emergency hotline (i mean i do pay for it) the representative picked up as if I was a burden. I wasn't even calling at a weird time it was 10am!

I got ripped off. They made me read my documents myself, do everything myself, and when
I emailed them for help, they just said "read the document".

This isn't my first studyabroad program. I've gone abroad with API, Barcelona SAE, and they were absolutely accomodating. They were helpful. Picked up the phone when I had emergencies even at 2am without complaint. One girl from Barcelona SAE helped me by just being my mentor and talking to me when I felt homesick.

I'm giving them a 5 because the people in the program are pretty nice. I'd apply through the ministry, Fullbright, or any other study abroad program.

I'll say one nice thing, but if you have never traveled abroad and want someone to hold your hand, I guess CIEE would be your last choice. There are other great third parties that will actually use your money to help you.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I would apply through another company if I wanted assistance or support abroad.
Kassie

CIEE Helpful with Pandemic and Managing Spanish Bureaucracy

The process of moving to Spain is confusing. Moving during a pandemic is even more complicated, with constantly changing legal restrictions. CIEE made an overwhelming process manageable by providing step-by-step guides for everything: applying for a VISA, registering as a Spanish resident, getting a residency card, etc. Additionally, they sent out periodic email updates to participants letting us know about travel restrictions and curfew changes throughout the year. CIEE does carry a hefty price tag, which is why some auxiliars opt to apply directly through the Spanish government. However, when I talked to participants who applied through the govt, I was often shocked by how little information they were provided with. They had to figure out on their own how to get a TIE card, how to renew for the next year, etc. For me, CIEE was worth it.

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
Arroz negro, a variation of paella that's dyed black with squid ink! Super yummy if you like seafood.
Danny

Very happy I signed up!

I just wanted to write this because I’m truly impressed with the return on investment from the Teach in Spain program. Spanish bureaucracy in general is a nightmare from what I’ve gathered, but the whole Covid situation makes it so much more ridiculous. But CIEE has been on point every step of the way.

From guiding us through the complex process of getting our visas back home, to welcoming us into Spain and laying out every single step from that point forward. They really do make the insanity that is Spanish bureaucracy as simplified and painless as possible. Their customer service is always amazing, and they're always happy to help resolve whatever issue you’re having. Definitely worth signing up for.

Response from CIEE Teach Abroad & TEFL

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your experience Danny! We're so glad to hear that you've felt very supported throughout the process and that we could help you navigate the bureaucracy.

Thanks again!

Madison
No, I don't recommend this program

CIEE abandoned us during the Coronavirus

Different programs offer different levels of support during your time abroad. One of CIEE's biggest selling points is that they offer you continued support during your time abroad in case anything comes up. For a little while during the Coronavirus outbreak CIEE was offering us support and updated information, but then they decided that they were going to shut down their operation suddenly in many countries. Almost all of the 'continued support' that they had to offer us came from email updates. The rest of Spain is working from home, so I do not understand why they couldn't do the same in order to keep us informed. I was already a bit dissapointed with what I got out of the program given the price, and now I want to warn other people of what might happen to them. This is the nightmare scenario of moving abroad, and one of the main reasons to use a program, and CIEE abandoned us. STAY AWAY FROM THEM.

That they would uphold their contract and not abandon us in a time of chaos.